Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

HootTheOwl posted:

It would be a lot easier if the person with the national spotlight following her around helped. When you become the nominee there's attention that comes to you that you don't get as a candidate.

I'll respond to this one since it was the most succinct. You're right, but, I guess what I mean is what you're demonstrating here is "the way it has always worked" which while technically correct, is something we need to break out of to save the country. One mistake we always make is simply letting the POTUS candidate dictate who ends up in the Congress when if you think about it, that runs counter to the idea of a co-equal branch of government that serves as a check against the executive. What if instead, we, WHILE pushing for whoever we want as the POTUS nom, ALSO prepared to elect a Congress full of AOCs, Pressleys, Tlaibs and Omars regardless of who the POTUS nom ends up being? Like what is we just say to ourselves we aim at that as a goal no matter what? There's no rule saying we can only elect who the DCCC handpicks for us, right?

All I'm saying is, procedurally, electorally, we have that power. If enough like minded people run and follow the AOC plan of dogged door knocking and canvassing, we elect less spineless weasels to the Congress and then maybe we get a Speaker who isn't trash, to name one thing. And guess what: that guides the national conversation too. Don't you see the benefits of that regardless of which Democrat is nominated to run for president?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Booker of all people trying to pick a fight with Sanders over corporate ties and lobbyist money? :allears: That's one hell of a bull to tackle.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Seriously guys, take a step back and look at exactly who gets the most vicious pushback from the party establishment. It's almost always the anti-interventionists and anti-imperialists, regardless of what else they're pushing. The idiot libertarian trying to gut 100% of the American welfare state for a meager monthly income gets shrugged off as a mere curiosity, but Mike Gravel gets shut out of the debates and Marianne Williamson gets described as "virulently dangerous" and "a loathsome creature" and "the candidate for insane people"? Tulsi Gabbard holds reprehensible views -- no worse than people like Dan Lipiniski or Joe Manchin -- but she gets infinitely more pushback from the party establishment than these two people do, specifically because she's been a critic of American "interventionism" for years.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I dont see the appeal of the GOOP candidate

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Solkanar512 posted:

The World Health Organization doesn't deal with "hypotheticals", they deal in reality. This isn't some "numbers fuckstain" poo poo, this is reality. We're having massive outbreaks here in the United States and around the world. Williamson's "apology" was nothing more than typical anti-vaxx bullshit, then doubled down on it a few days later by calling the body of medical research on the topic "propaganda". Pay attention to the people who watch this poo poo on a regular basis. Follow some actual science writers, I already named Erin Biba and Jen Gunter, there are more out there who go into great deal about these issues on a regular basis.

do you deal in reality solkanar? cause you're constantly freaking out about marianne increasing anti-vaxx sentiment in the US and I haven't seen you show any evidence of that in the least. moreover, you're getting mad at people for not treating her as the top threat to public safety of all candidates in the primary when you haven't actually shown that she warrants that status. that's why i'm calling your position a hypothetical

but let's see if you're dealing in reality with actual numbers:

you posted:

she's polling around the same place Trump was at this time in the 2016 race.

so here's a Quinnipiac poll from july 30th 2015:

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2264

quote:

With 20 percent of Republican voters, Donald Trump is the clear leader in the crowded Republican presidential primary field,

so, trump was leading the field at this point in the race.

lets see how marriane is doing in 538:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-primaries/democratic/national/

she's hovering at 0-1%...

so, I think it's pretty clear that you are not appraising the situation realistically. however, you seem pretty determined to keep hyperventilating about her and throwing a fit that not everyone agrees with you on her being a massive threat so i'll leave you to it rather than bother to ask you to calm down anymore.

RuanGacho posted:

she's funny and thinks terrorism can be cured with good vibes

there's really no appeal beyond she's a funny joke

Condiv fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 18, 2019

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

there's really no appeal beyond she's a funny joke

She gets people mad and they write funny posts about how loathsome this woman is

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ruminahui posted:

She gets people mad and they write funny posts about how loathsome this woman is

I think it's more the antivaxxer thing pushing their buttons rather than the woman thing. Well, at least in this thread, in the wider internet it's probably just the misogyny

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

lmao sure thing Cory. Let's see some examples of Sanders taking donations that you wouldn't take.

Unless you mean you wouldn't take small donations from grassroots movements in which case I agree, that isn't your style at all.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

RuanGacho posted:

She's one of the only ones who's willing to call what's going on for exactly what it is, which I find to be a far, far more valuable contribution to this primary than loving idiots like Yang, Klobb, or Booker

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1151240240012525568

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, but have you considered that she’s just cynically saying those things to increase her book sales??????

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Z. Autobahn posted:

something something Joe Biden is an imperialist something something Warren is a Republican

This all sounds accurate. Except Warren is an imperialist, too.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Phone posted:

Yeah, but have you considered that she’s just cynically saying those things to increase her book sales??????

Almost every single candidate is just doing this to raise their profile

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Williamson may be dumb, but Warren is just willfully a conwoman.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I dont see what could be more pro-public health than a message of all-encompassing cosmic love

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Solkanar512 posted:

The World Health Organization doesn't deal with "hypotheticals", they deal in reality. This isn't some "numbers fuckstain" poo poo, this is reality. We're having massive outbreaks here in the United States and around the world. Williamson's "apology" was nothing more than typical anti-vaxx bullshit, then doubled down on it a few days later by calling the body of medical research on the topic "propaganda". Pay attention to the people who watch this poo poo on a regular basis. Follow some actual science writers, I already named Erin Biba and Jen Gunter, there are more out there who go into great deal about these issues on a regular basis.

Why is it so odd? I see this woo bullshit on the left all the loving time where I live (PNW). I have a background in the biological sciences so when I hear this poo poo I'm going to say something. No one else is talking about it, we have folks giving themselves irony poisoning over it and she's polling around the same place Trump was at this time in the 2016 race. Furthermore, we shouldn't be tolerating anti-science and anti-intellectual attitudes on the left, regardless of their polling. It's bad enough when I see right wing assholes refuse their daughters the HPV vaccine because "my little darling WON"T BE HAVING SEX" but now we see this same poo poo from the left, even though several nations are close to eradicating the forms of cancer the vaccine prevents.

Her ideas are already seeing adoption (look at the protests against anyone raising vaccination standards, the stigma against taking meds for treating mental health disorders and so on) and we shouldn't be giving her a free platform (either here on this forum or the debates) to spread this garbage and make money. There should be no tolerance for this sort of anti-intellectualism on the left. No, it's not as big of an issue as say systemic racism or economic equality or imperialism but if you don't stomp out her values you lose the ability to deal with everything else.

A few hundred people catching measles because of rich dumbass yuppies sucks and 90% of this thread would be willing to send those parents to jail for it, but there's just this tiny rear end thing. Irrelevant really, considering most of the people involved aren't American or white (and good luck getting bougie PNW weirdos to care about that).

American foreign policy kills, literally, millions.

Whether it's directly (Iraq, Iraq II, Vietnam, Yemen),indirectly in the form of every country we've starved to death and deprived of basic medicine via sanctions, or every country we routinely exploit/depose/coup/generally keep ground into dust so that we can make them work in toxic waste dumps for pennies on the dollar. Our government, and by extension we, are responsible for the deaths of millions.

e: or that our healthcare system puts tens (hundreds?) of thousands a year into early graves lmao

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Seriously guys, take a step back and look at exactly who gets the most vicious pushback from the party establishment. It's almost always the anti-interventionists and anti-imperialists, regardless of what else they're pushing. The idiot libertarian trying to gut 100% of the American welfare state for a meager monthly income gets shrugged off as a mere curiosity, but Mike Gravel gets shut out of the debates and Marianne Williamson gets described as "virulently dangerous" and "a loathsome creature" and "the candidate for insane people"? Tulsi Gabbard holds reprehensible views -- no worse than people like Dan Lipiniski or Joe Manchin -- but she gets infinitely more pushback from the party establishment than these two people do, specifically because she's been a critic of American "interventionism" for years.

I haven't seen any pushback from the party establishment against Williamson at all. Have they even acknowledged her existence? I'm pretty sure they've just been ignoring her, Yang, and the other fringe nobodies with 1% poll numbers.

This thread certainly doesn't qualify as part of the Democratic establishment. A couple of individual posters might, but we all know who they are, so there's really no grounds for making these sweeping pronouncements about pushback from the party establishment just because a couple posters are Mad at Marianne.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The back and forth on Marianne gets tiresome on both ends but it's hard not to notice that she, a joke candidate, gets held to a much higher standard and inspires much more anger than the other terrible people in the race who actually stand a chance at winning.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Marianne gets held to a much higher standard than the other terrible people in the race who actually stand a chance at winning.

The high standard of not promoting pseudoscience? Which other candidates are not being held to that standard?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

What is capitalism if not pseudoscience.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

twice burned ice posted:

The high standard of not promoting pseudoscience? Which other candidates are not being held to that standard?

I want to say buttergreg, explicitly, said he's fine with the parent's choice to vaccinate or not. Possibly biden and a few others.

But we need to be -really- worried about this Marianne character.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

twice burned ice posted:

Gravel isn't held to account for his 9/11 trutherism as well.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Bernie isn't held to account for his racism and misogyny.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Oh Snapple! posted:

What is capitalism if not pseudoscience.

What if you take a DNA test to prove capitalism is good? :smuggo:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Calibanibal posted:

I dont see what could be more pro-public health than a message of all-encompassing cosmic love

I just want everyone to have means-tested access to all-encompassing cosmic love

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

The back and forth on Marianne gets tiresome on both ends but it's hard not to notice that she, a joke candidate, gets held to a much higher standard and inspires much more anger than the other terrible people in the race who actually stand a chance at winning.

Really? This thread consists almost entirely of people screaming about the inadequacies of every candidate that gets brought up, while each candidate's few embattled supporters frantically fend off attacks. Even Gravel, who is far more of a joke than Williamson and is mainly just running to draw attention to Twitter commies, gets roasted occasionally. Who do you feel is being let off the hook?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Williamson has a better chance of beating Trump in the general than Buttigieg.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Main Paineframe posted:

Really? This thread consists almost entirely of people screaming about the inadequacies of every candidate that gets brought up, while each candidate's few embattled supporters frantically fend off attacks. Even Gravel, who is far more of a joke than Williamson and is mainly just running to draw attention to Twitter commies, gets roasted occasionally. Who do you feel is being let off the hook?

That one Mayor from Florida isn't being held to account by any of the cowards in this thread.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

I mean it in the sense that I rarely see the folks who flip their poo poo over Williamson react similarly to other candidates.

E: as an example, Liz's horrendous I/P poo poo has been brought up fairly often and it never earns more than a shrug from the folks who weren't already side-eyeing her, but lord do folks get real mad about Williamson and occassionally Gravel.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 18, 2019

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I think I have yet to see any remarks at all over Hernie's support of dangerous, pseudoscientific practice of circumcision

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Calibanibal posted:

I think I have yet to see any remarks at all over Hernie's support of dangerous, pseudoscientific practice of circumcision

I'm With Hernie

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crystals are a serious threat to public health, unlike bombing hospitals and water treatment plants which is apparently fine.

Thanks D&D!

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Hernie Sanders gonna catch that chicken

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

She's one of the only ones who's willing to call what's going on for exactly what it is, which I find to be a far, far more valuable contribution to this primary than loving idiots like Yang, Klobb, or Booker

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1151240240012525568

Okay, but lots of candidates are doing that?

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

VitalSigns posted:

Bombing hospitals and water treatment plants is fine

Please show where someone said this. Or anything like this.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

twice burned ice posted:

VitalSigns posted:

bombing hospitals and water treatment plants is fine

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Every post in D&D where someone said "I support Kamela/Biden/Buttergreg/Warren" or "We need regime change in Iran for purely humanitarian reasons"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LinYutang posted:

Gravel isn't held to account for his 9/11 trutherism as well.

He's right, Bush did it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

What's interesting is that, as we saw explicitly from Solkanar in an earlier post, many liberals have realized they can use "whataboutism" as a way to completely ignore any attempt to put things in context. If you argue that a popular candidate is worse than the unpopular one they're angry with, they can just say "that's whataboutism" and prevent the discussion from ever encroaching upon uncomfortable territory.

Through this "strategy" (in quotes because it's obviously not a conscious decision on their part, but more of an excuse), they can simply ignore topics they don't care about.

twice burned ice posted:

Through preference for candidates who are more likely to do those things, and generally not considering those issues high priority when choosing who to support.

Main Paineframe posted:

That post is obviously referring to the specific people who flip out (and prompt long side discussions like this) over candidates like Williamson or Gravel, and who are representative of a far more common opinion on this subforum as a whole (which is in turn reflective of the messaging of liberal-aligned media), even if in this thread those people only make up maybe 1/3 of the posters.

It is obviously a very real phenomenon that many people react far more negatively and strongly towards less mainstream figures than they do more prominent/mainstream ones (with the lack of reaction to the latter being the bigger issue).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 18, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twice burned ice posted:

Every post saying that woo woo lady is a bigger threat to public health than candidates who are pro bombing the third would is saying this.

E: I am willing to believe they are incredibly ignorant and don't realize this is implied by their position.

Fake edit 2: I will also concede they could be saying "who cares about bombing treatment plants that don't serve white people" if you want to argue that that is their position and that I should care about the difference for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I’m gonna start charging y’all by the word you write about Marianne Williamson, and any other candidate polling at sub-3%.