Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

We’re not post-Brexit yet. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

We’re not post-Brexit yet. :eng99:

Sorry, I should have said post-referendum.

:smith:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

mehall posted:

How often do Big Finish do sales?

The titles are a bit pricy for me, but I've enjoyed what I've listened to so far.

They do sales all the time, but as recently, the sales of been more specialized instead.

Example: Until midnight UK time tonight, all the Lucie Miller titles (excluding the new one, of course) are on sale.

https://www.bigfinish.com/collections/v/lucie-b-miller

And they just announced: Donna Noble: Kidnapped!
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1151076038228791297

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/donna-noble-saves-the-world

Looks like it takes place during Series 4, if I'm reading correctly.

Sadly, looks like there's no Wilf!

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 16, 2019

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't know this and now I feel dirty, ugh.

It's a mashup of the Doctor Who theme and, primarily, Rock n Roll part 2 by Gary Glitter. He wasn't actually involved in making it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

mehall posted:

The titles are a bit pricy for me, but I've enjoyed what I've listened to so far.

Not sure if it's available outside the US or not, but there's a surprising amount of Big Finish Doctor Who stuff on Apple Music and Spotify if you subscribe to either of those and live in the US.

https://music.apple.com/us/artist/doctor-who/207238484

https://open.spotify.com/artist/2PKm8aJ43kvEqtzTmggKdn?si=s4k0LmwgQxKD0ThcBc7ifw

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mehall posted:

There's usually a sale at least once every month but they're mostly thematic, and thus not great for if you want specific things.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Apparently they're doing a 20+ hour audio marathon this weekend on the Doctor Who YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haf6OxeoqHA

A Short Trip with Twelve as well

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 16, 2019

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I listened to the first story in the Captain Jack meets 6 set and it's good but I gotta say while I know Barrowman's going for a 6 impression, I hear a ton of McCoy in it.

Barrowman is all in with BF though, it's great. :allears:

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

I just noticed the “b” towards the end of the link. It stands for “Bleedin’” right..?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Robert J. Omb posted:

I just noticed the “b” towards the end of the link. It stands for “Bleedin’” right..?

Yeah

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Caught up with the War Master 3 boxset and Further Adventures of Lucie Bleedin Miller.

War Master 3 has some great Jacobi moments - bit redundant to say at this point; he's always really great. Don't think the stories in this were that great though - this series hasn't managed to top the first boxset for me. :shrug:

They're structured in a way to clearly build up for the Master's latest scheme...and then it just fizzles out at the end. There's some good Doctor/Master chemistry, as McGann is in this one briefly as they reflect on their weird relationship. They explain away the Doctor not recognising the Jacobi Master in Utopia, via Eight's most loyal companion Amnesia.

Part of the problem I'm feeling with these boxsets is the struggle with them having a villainous protagonist who generally works better as an antagonist in short bursts, with the balance of them being the protagonist and needing to move the plot.

For comparison with the first boxset, we have the dramatic irony of knowing the Master is a scheming wossname and are in on the joke of him pretending to be good and helpful to the various other characters, while trying to throw them under the bus, and alterior motives for a grand plan that we're not privvy to. And for the most part, he's also the viewpoint character.

In the second, and third, he's not really the viewpoint character anymore. On the one hand, it does play to the character's strengths as they're the instigator of the events of the stories with the viewpoint characters reacting to his plans...but on the other, it does feel a bit like Doctor Who without the Doctor where the bad guy just wins. I dunno, I wish it I could explain it better.

tl;dr: Not as good as the first boxset, some good Doctor/Master stuff, but overall, not really worth the build up.

TFA of Lucie Miller was honestly kind of refreshing. It's great to hear Sheridan Smith and McGann have a laugh, without some of the heavier stuff the Eighth Doctor Adventures would later head down.

That said, I don't think the first story was the best place to reintroduce the character; it's a purposely weird timey-wimey story that only vaguely makes sense in the last story of the boxset, although it does have some funny lines.

Daleks: WHO ARE YOU?
LM: I'm Lucie bleedin' Miller, and don't you forget it!
Daleks: LUCIE BLEEDIN' MILLER STEP AWAY FROM THAT DEVICE!

The next two stories are the usual fun EDA romps: rollerskate boxing on an alien planet controlled by a mega corp, and Upstairs, Downstairs/Downton Abbey in a haunted house in space.

I normally don't pay attention to the individual titles of the boxset stories as I add them to my MP3 player (outside of the obvious "oh, it's Daleks, Cybermen, the regulars, etc) so it was a nice suprise to have the last story be the Wickerman meets Image of the Fendahl. It retroactively ties the other stories in the boxset together, which is fine, although it wouldn't have mattered if they were all unconnected little adventures.

Short version: If you liked the EDA with Lucie Millar. It's more of the same; fun little adventures with some really good chemistry between the actors, and some nice character moments.

I also listened to Ravenous 3 ages back, but it was so unmemorable I didn't bother to do a breakdown. Very short version; hungry evil clowns who feed on Time Lords. Some creepy soundwork. Usual good performances, but honestly kind of aimless. Thankfully it's ending in the next boxset. The only real highlight was a story where The Nine - a kleptomaniac Time Lord - accidentally saves River Song, so decides to collect the Doctor's companions. As in literally collect.

Yeah, so it has some fun cameos from various past companions across all his incarnations, but especially focuses on Eight's past, present, and future ones. Charley Pollard is there having been dragged from about the time of the (loving dreadful) just post-Divergent arc, as well as Bliss from the Time War boxsets...but not Bliss as she is there, but the person she would have been had the Time War not happened (timey-wimey, etc).

Don't recommend this boxset. Ravenous 4 is promising all the Masters (Beevers, Jacobi, Gomez, and Roberts, sans Macqueen) in Day of the Master, which will probably be a clusterfuck, but I'm down for that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Robert J. Omb posted:

that is her official name, yes

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pesky Splinter posted:

War Master 3 has some great Jacobi moments - bit redundant to say at this point; he's always really great. Don't think the stories in this were that great though - this series hasn't managed to top the first boxset for me. :shrug:

tl;dr: Not as good as the first boxset, some good Doctor/Master stuff, but overall, not really worth the build up.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they had only ever planned for one War Master box set as a one-off (hence the ending of that one leading neatly into the Master being kindly old Doctor Yana in Utopia), and then circled back around to reuse some plot concepts and whatnot from the second set of War Doctor sets they were working on before John Hurt's untimely death.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Initially, I think they were also only planning one Eighth Doctor Time War set, and that got changed with Hurt's passing as well.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b7UsmbeIkw

Six Doctors in a single TARDIS?
What could possibly go wrong

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jivjov posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that they had only ever planned for one War Master box set as a one-off (hence the ending of that one leading neatly into the Master being kindly old Doctor Yana in Utopia), and then circled back around to reuse some plot concepts and whatnot from the second set of War Doctor sets they were working on before John Hurt's untimely death.

I dunno. The War Master sets are produced by Scott Handcock, Nick Briggs produced the War Doctor sets.

Plus, something like The Master Of Callous would never have happened under the War Doctor range.

(Also The Master Of Callous is really loving good. It's basically an NA.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I liked the master of callous a lot, except for part 3 which is way too long

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Vinylshadow posted:

The presence of New Series Companions really makes me wish Big Finish got to go crazy with the New Series Doctors.

I listened to this fan-made audio with most of the 12 Doctors and it really showed the possibilities that such a story could have.

Does anyone know why they don't seem to use the New Series Doctors that much?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

stratofarius posted:

The presence of New Series Companions really makes me wish Big Finish got to go crazy with the New Series Doctors.

I listened to this fan-made audio with most of the 12 Doctors and it really showed the possibilities that such a story could have.

Does anyone know why they don't seem to use the New Series Doctors that much?

A lot of it is availability. The new series doctors, for the most part, are all still working actors. Some of them are also distancing themselves from the role; like Eccleston and his very public distaste for a lot of the behind the scenes stuff from his time on the show, and Capaldi just got done being the Doctor a couple years ago, I don't blame him for not wanting to come back to the role super quickly.

And then there's just the time factor; Big Finish started making stuff in 1999. They had a half-decade head start on the show even being back on TV. And then for years after that, they only had the license to use stuff from the classic era of the show. They had to get special permission even to use a new series era Dalek on the cover of a Gallifrey story.

As time goes on, I'm sure we'll see more revived series doctor actors reprising their roles for BF. Tennant has already done three box sets, they've done full cast with narration stories for 9-11, short trips for 12. For YEARS everyone thought Tom Baker would never come to the role, but now he's done something like 9 series of Fourth Doctor Adventures among other things. I full expect to hear a Chris Eccleston 9th Doctor performance from Big Finish sometime in the not too distant future.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

Daleks: LUCIE BLEEDIN' MILLER STEP AWAY FROM THAT DEVICE!

The Daleks are amazing straight men, it's almost a pity that one of them actually got in a zinger on the Cybermen with his,"YOU ARE BETTER AT DYING!" line because it was hilarious watching even the Cybermen being all,"These loving guys, amiright?" after meeting them.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

The Daleks are amazing straight men, it's almost a pity that one of them actually got in a zinger on the Cybermen with his,"YOU ARE BETTER AT DYING!" line because it was hilarious watching even the Cybermen being all,"These loving guys, amiright?" after meeting them.

On the other hand, it's even funnier if you assume that the Dalek said that in earnest. It genuinely calculated everything and concluded that the only thing the Cybermen are better at is dying. NOT EVEN GRABBING THINGS. THEY ARE NOT EVEN BETTER AT THAT.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

On the other hand, it's even funnier if you assume that the Dalek said that in earnest. It genuinely calculated everything and concluded that the only thing the Cybermen are better at is dying. NOT EVEN GRABBING THINGS. THEY ARE NOT EVEN BETTER AT THAT.

I used to think that it was actually the Cybermen acting out of character in that scene, because like you said, the Daleks aren't trying to be smug, they genuinely think that's the truth. Meanwhile the Cybermen are talking about elegance and claiming themselves superior, which doesn't seem like something the Cybermen would give a poo poo about.

But I just realized when reading this discussion that I think that because my natural inclination is to think of the Mondasian Cybermen, and that scene actually touches on one of the clearest differences between the two. Mondasian Cybermen were born of survivalism, a natural inclination to just keep going by any means necessary, and they don't think of themselves as 'superior' so much as a necessary evolution. That's not actually part of the Cybus Cybermen; they weren't converted because they had to be, they were upgraded by a corporation that saw it as a step up. Cybus was very much an Apple style of company, who became pervasive because they were offering a trendy product, so of course their Cybermen have an inherent superiority and a feeling that they look cool as poo poo; they're born in part out of technology as a fashion statement.

I never realized how different the Cybus Cybermen could have been, mostly because they never really bothered to explore it. It's unfortunate; especially now that we do have the 'technology as a necessity for survival' Cybermen back and established again, it'd be neat to put them up against the 'technology as identity and fashion statement' Cybermen.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I used to think that it was actually the Cybermen acting out of character in that scene, because like you said, the Daleks aren't trying to be smug, they genuinely think that's the truth. Meanwhile the Cybermen are talking about elegance and claiming themselves superior, which doesn't seem like something the Cybermen would give a poo poo about.

But I just realized when reading this discussion that I think that because my natural inclination is to think of the Mondasian Cybermen, and that scene actually touches on one of the clearest differences between the two. Mondasian Cybermen were born of survivalism, a natural inclination to just keep going by any means necessary, and they don't think of themselves as 'superior' so much as a necessary evolution. That's not actually part of the Cybus Cybermen; they weren't converted because they had to be, they were upgraded by a corporation that saw it as a step up. Cybus was very much an Apple style of company, who became pervasive because they were offering a trendy product, so of course their Cybermen have an inherent superiority and a feeling that they look cool as poo poo; they're born in part out of technology as a fashion statement.

I never realized how different the Cybus Cybermen could have been, mostly because they never really bothered to explore it. It's unfortunate; especially now that we do have the 'technology as a necessity for survival' Cybermen back and established again, it'd be neat to put them up against the 'technology as identity and fashion statement' Cybermen.

That's a fantastic explanation, though I suspect the primary reason was just RTD channeling his inner child and writing Dalek-Cybermen smack talk.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still wanna see a story where the Cybermen are just wiping out everybody and everything and then just.... stop. Because they've calculated that they've damaged their opponents to the point that their survival is no longer at risk, and that the damage they'd sustain in pursuit of further gains isn't worth going any further. You could even have the Doctor say that as much as she loathes the Cybermen, at least they have the sense to know when to stop making war.

There's an element of that in a particularly great 8th Doctor audio story Human Resources where he stops a corporation from waging war on an unseen enemy, only to discover that enemy was the Cybermen who are now intent on wiping out the threat to their survival, but it is a war that they in no way instigated.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Vinylshadow posted:

That's The Time Monster Pertwee interior with the giant roundels, isn't it? :allears:

Cool that they team Davison with his actual Doctor's Daughter and we get River and Benny together.

It'll be Fanservice: The Audio but I'll eat it up!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Review so far: Legacy of Time episode 1 is real good and has a good new character in it; Episode 2 is tedious and is mostly people from Counter Measures, a series I do not know anything about, being confused by time travel stuff for an hour :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

corn in the bible posted:

Review so far: Legacy of Time episode 1 is real good and has a good new character in it; Episode 2 is tedious and is mostly people from Counter Measures, a series I do not know anything about, being confused by time travel stuff for an hour :(

This was also a complaint I had about that Worlds of Doctor Who box set they did a while back; that's one side franchise I just never got into, despite Remembrance being one of the handful of classic serials I've actually seen

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

There's a wonderful bit in Dark Eyes 4: Master of the Daleks, where the Master and the Daleks have teamed up. At one point, the Dalek Supreme asks for a "report" on the Master, and a Dalek says, on basis of historical records, there is a "100% chance" the Master will betray them. Not "99%". Not even "99.9%". Nope, it is a forgone conclusion that they WILL be betrayed by him at some point.

And, of course, Liv points out to the Master that he can't trust the Daleks, and his response is basically, "Yeah, no poo poo."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's loving awesome, ahaha

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

jivjov posted:

This was also a complaint I had about that Worlds of Doctor Who box set they did a while back; that's one side franchise I just never got into, despite Remembrance being one of the handful of classic serials I've actually seen

The problem here is that the episode's gimmick (which they explain immediately, it's not a twist or anything) is that stuff is happening in the 60s and 70s at the same time. But the result is that in the 60s they have to ask Ace what is happening, and in the 70s they have to ask the Doctor what is happening, so you get double the exposition with more throughout the episode. Even at the end they have to ask the Doctor to explain the climax--it never stops

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Cool, sounds like latter day Big Finish then

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Further review: Episode 3 is good because the plot is a setup to let Jo and Kate go back to the UNIT era and have some drama there, rather than to show off a Clever Time Gimmick that requires continual explanation and exposition

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

I found the character annoying a first - that's purposeful, Benny and River do the same...and then it dawned why Eight is travelling around with hyper-Charlie even before the plot reveal. Eight is so loving broken. :smith:

But, yeah, it's pretty good. Benny and River bounce off each other quite nicely - I hope they do more with them in the future honestly.

Also didn't like 2. 60's proto-UNIT just doesn't interest me as much as UNIT, and while the plot didn't confuse me, it has exactly the problems you listed of, "What are we doing in the past as we do this exact thing now?".

Further review: Episode 3 is good because the plot is a setup to let Jo and Kate go back to the UNIT era and have some drama there, rather than to show off a Clever Time Gimmick that requires continual explanation and exposition

3 was good as well. Thought we were going to be fobbed off for a moment with Kate talking to the Brig, (as in, we just hear one side of the conversation) but then it happened :unsmith:

4 with Jenny and Five was pretty fun. Obvious chemistry between father and daughter, and is making me consider checking out the Jenny stories.

5 was okay, but a bit bloated in parts.

And the final part was just okay. Was a bit, "yeah whatever" towards the end, but then got a big grin on my face hearing Tennant, Bradly and Hines cameo as Ten, One and Two.

All in all, I enjoyed it, and it feels a lot more polished compared to some of their other boxsets - probably because they've been working on it for so long. It's a nice celebration and showcase of just how far they've come in 20 years, and I wish I'd discovered them a lot sooner than I had.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'll take 8

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Paul McGann for only £27!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jivjov posted:

I'll take 8

Let me quote this before I forget.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

This weekend, the official Doctor Who Youtube page is airing 20 hours of Big Finish. Here's the schedule:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/schedule-bigfinish20at20

SATURDAY (Starts at 12:00 UK)
The Sirens of Time - Part 1, starring Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy
Spare Parts starring Peter Davison and Sarah Sutton
The Marian Conspiracy starring Colin Baker and Maggie Stables
The Fires of Vulcan starring Sylvester McCoy and Bonnie Langford
The Chimes of Midnight starring Paul McGann and India Fisher
Energy of the Daleks starring Tom Baker and Louise Jameson
The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield: The Revolution (from The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield Volume 1) starring Lisa Bowerman and Sylvester McCoy
Captain Jack: Wednesday for Beginners (from The Lives of Captain Jack Volume 1) starring John Barrowman and Camille Coduri
Celestial Intervention (from Gallifrey: Time War 1) starring Lalla Ward and Seán Carlsen
The Time War: The Starship of Theseus (from The Eighth Doctor: The Time War 1) starring Paul McGann and Rahkee Thakrar
The War Master: Beneath the Viscoid (from The War Master: Only the Good) starring Sir Derek Jacobi and Nicholas Briggs as the Daleks
Jenny - The Doctor’s Daughter: Stolen Goods (from Jenny - The Doctor’s Daughter) starring Georgia Tennant and Sean Biggerstaff
The Tenth Doctor Adventures: Cold Vengeance - (from Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Adventures, Volume 2) starring David Tennant and Billie Piper
The Sirens of Time - Part 2 starring Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy

SUNDAY (Starts at 12:00 UK)
The Sirens of Time - Part 3 starring Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy
Blood of the Daleks starring Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith
The Phoenicians (from The First Doctor Adventures Volume 3) starring David Bradley
The Yes Men starring Anneke Wills and Frazer Hines
The Conquest of Far (from the Third Doctor Adventures Volume 3) starring Tim Treloar and Katy Manning
The Auntie Matter starring Tom Baker and Mary Tamm
Dalek Soul starring Peter Davison and Sarah Sutton
Jubilee starring Colin Baker and Maggie Stables
Master starring Sylvester McCoy and Geoffrey Beevers
The Sirens of Time - Part 4 starring Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy
Doom Coalition: The Eleven (from Doom Coalition 1) starring Paul McGann, Nicola Walker and Mark Bonnar
The Assassination Games starring Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred
The War Doctor: The Innocent (from The War Doctor: Only the Monstrous) starring Sir John Hurt
UNIT: Tidal Wave (from UNIT: Assembled) starring Jemma Redgrave, Ingrid Oliver and Katy Manning
The Diary of River Song: The Boundless Sea (from the Diary of River Song Series 1) starring Alex Kingston and Alexander Vlahos
The Legacy of Time starring Paul McGann, Alex Kingston and Lisa Bowerman

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The problem is "Each episode will be the first part of a story unless stated otherwise." :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The problem is "Each episode will be the first part of a story unless stated otherwise." :(

Well that is a stupid way to try and get new listeners...