Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Drinkfist posted:

They did some poorly organized Streamer tournament where the objective was to get as many clears in an endless run than your opponent in 20 minutes. They did Easy for round 1 and kept ramping it up as it went on. The whole thing ended up being completely luck based and everyone skipping every level that didn't have a sub 45 second world record on it in the pause menu. Then there is Streamers that are doing Endless Expert and Endless Super Expert runs where to get the high score the objective is to literally skip everything that appears to have any degree of challenge. Which mostly results in them sticking to garbage levels and accidentally strolling into troll levels. Endless is never going to get you plays until they just remove infinite skips. From what I can tell you literally have to market your level on streams and forums for it to start any kind of traction so it starts showing up in lists online.

What we really need is some more tags and game modes. Bring back 100 Man and add a no skip bracket to both. Add a new difficulty to Endless and 100 Man to be "No Clear" which is a literal mystery difficulty for levels that have no clears. Triple the list of level tags so you can search for specific type of levels.

What I want is something like a normal Mario mode where the game throws say 8 worlds with increasing difficulty at you. So something like 100 Mario from the last game except difficulty goes from easy to hard during play. Maybe give you a limited number of skips. Bonus if each world was themed.

I don't really like endless at all since I want to have a goal beyond "beat as many as you can"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

netcat posted:

What I want is something like a normal Mario mode where the game throws say 8 worlds with increasing difficulty at you. So something like 100 Mario from the last game except difficulty goes from easy to hard during play. Maybe give you a limited number of skips. Bonus if each world was themed.

I don't really like endless at all since I want to have a goal beyond "beat as many as you can"

to me, endless is a bit of a misnomer; it's way more of a survival mode. endless to me would be a non-stop playlist where you don't have a game over. just a quick way of jumping through random levels.

I really want to be able to set like 5-life challenge playlists

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

to me, endless is a bit of a misnomer; it's way more of a survival mode. endless to me would be a non-stop playlist where you don't have a game over. just a quick way of jumping through random levels.

I really want to be able to set like 5-life challenge playlists

Yeah you could do that in the first game with downloaded levels (well max 4 levels in a row iirc but still). No idea why they removed that feature.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

netcat posted:

Yeah you could do that in the first game with downloaded levels (well max 4 levels in a row iirc but still). No idea why they removed that feature.

Wait, that existed?? Holy poo poo. Well, that actually gives me more hope for a similar (but better) feature to be patched in later.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

DalaranJ, would you kindly remove the level of mine in the sheet named "Non-OSHA Approved Fire Escape"? I have uploaded a newer, better version under a different name (Blatantly Unsafe Fire Escape, PVW-G7P-G5G) and already added it to the sheet, so it's probably easier to just remove the old, crappy version. Thank you.

I got it.

Q_res posted:

I don't want to be harsh, but are you seriously suggesting that level is somehow kid friendly?

Jamwise, making a ‘joke’ course is allowed as long as it’s in theme.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm still working on my jam level

https://twitter.com/BorlandCorp/status/1151689597266477057?s=19

But my memory of the movie is not great. I may just make it a bunch of Cohen set pieces

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

I got it.

Jamwise, making a ‘joke’ course is allowed as long as it’s in theme.

Are you suggesting people make serious entries for jams?

Girl Drink Drunk
Jan 2, 2007

"Well it's really quite simple Russ. You simply take twelve large strawberries chopped, three ounces of dark rum and a..."
*looks at spreadsheet*

Man, there’s like 10 Mario games worth of good levels to catch up on.

Speaking of, I tossed a few levels on there but one of the levels that I had not put there suddenly got increased traffic. Searching the course title led me to a cool Vice article about it:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9kx4pv/just-looking-at-this-mario-maker-2-stage-will-give-you-anxiety

The Pain Lattice: 74P-FVP-BCG

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Girl Drink Drunk posted:

*looks at spreadsheet*

Man, theres like 10 Mario games worth of good levels to catch up on.

Speaking of, I tossed a few levels on there but one of the levels that I had not put there suddenly got increased traffic. Searching the course title led me to a cool Vice article about it:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9kx4pv/just-looking-at-this-mario-maker-2-stage-will-give-you-anxiety

The Pain Lattice: 74P-FVP-BCG

Oh wow, congrats! That's really cool! And looks like a good level, might as well add it to the sheet!

Also iirc from one of DalaranJ's tweets we might have surpassed the MM1 thread's total amount of levels in under a month? Impressive! I think that calls for some sort of celebration in the thread.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

How long does it normally take to make a level? I tried it for the first time last night and I sort of have decision paralysis. Plus the controls are not very intuitive when you're starting out...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
looking forward to uploading a business course tomorrow, a kids course next week, and the new jam theme the week after that

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Looper posted:

looking forward to uploading a business course tomorrow, a kids course next week, and the new jam theme the week after that

Hello fellow sufferer of staircase wit.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Mons Hubris posted:

How long does it normally take to make a level? I tried it for the first time last night and I sort of have decision paralysis. Plus the controls are not very intuitive when you're starting out...

It doesn't seem to take me very long. But YMMV. One suggestion is to think about what you want to accomplish with your level. Like right now I want to make a really obnoxious, meme-y type level where if you run, you won't get hurt, but you will put Mario in near danger many times, and the background is very confusing and it's full of effect spam. Why? I dunno. It's just an idea I had. Kind of Jam-adjacent.

So think of what you want to accomplish and limit yourself to one or two (on average) elements, like a level utilizing Goombrats and Bumpers, for instance. If you can describe your level in a couple of words ("I want to make a level with Goombrats and Bumpers.") you're on to something. Or you can try to tell a story. ("Mario has to infiltrate the Goombrat fortress and steal their treasure, but they've got defenses, primarily Bumpers!") That's even more in-depth and can really flesh out a level.

As for controls, I just do it handheld with a stylus, personally.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mons Hubris posted:

It usually takes me several hours which includes a lot of iterating and testing. Some people manage to crank out quality levels a lot quicker than I do though. If you can pick a couple of course elements to base your level around it will give it a nice coherent theme and can help make the options less overwhelming. Don’t feel like you have to fill all of the available space out either. If you can get something short and sweet out you can use the feedback from that to help build something bigger next time. As for the controls, you may find the touch controls a bit more intuitive if you’re not using them already.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I’ve been away from Mario Maker for a few days but that gave me time to put some new ideas together, like this open fortress climb. It’s pretty tricky like that pipe climb I made before... I had the big lava room from Bowsers castle in mind when I made it.

SMB3 Revival: Cauldron Fortress RTL-BC6-JKF

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All I want to do is make deeply thematic, medium-to-easy levels centered around like, Greek myths or Russian history or something.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Mons Hubris posted:

I end up chewing on concepts for about a week before they gel into anything I am happy with. That said, I only get to really focus on making courses over the weekend since work beats the creativity right out of me.

The controls do take getting used to. MM1 was a bit more intuitive, but they could assume you had the touch screen handy while some people play Switch in TV mode exclusively.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Mons Hubris posted:

At least a couple of hours, which is why I haven't made more levels since I feel guilty spending that much time making a bad level. :negative:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Yeah, I'm using the touch screen, but I'd try and stretch a piece out and then end up dragging it around. Or try to scroll the screen and end up dropping 6 blocks or something. I ordered a cheap stylus, maybe that'll help.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Are there any of the Yamamura tutorials that specifically cover the in game camera? I want to know how to make 'rooms' in levels better with the camera being fixed and not zipping around everywhere.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Huxley posted:

All I want to do is make deeply thematic, medium-to-easy levels centered around like, Greek myths or Russian history or something.

Jot down notes for top-down ideas and think about ways you can accomplish them. Do not put anything onto the screen until you have a cohesive vision

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The Lobster posted:

Also iirc from one of DalaranJ's tweets we might have surpassed the MM1 thread's total amount of levels in under a month? Impressive! I think that calls for some sort of celebration in the thread.

We just did with 925 levels. :toot:

I’d like to hear what everybody’s favorite goon levels are.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

DalaranJ, I updated one of my levels, Descent into the Thwomp cistern and it's got a new code, can you update the sheet with P4L-M3J-DWG?

it fixes a potential way to block your own progress and also fixes some unfair blind Thwomps.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mons Hubris posted:

My first level is a weird derivative of 1-1 from SMB2 (USA, not 'Lost Levels'). It doesn't follow it exactly, partly because I didn't want to do that, but also partly because SMM2's editor, as of right now, doesn't allow for a few things that SMB2 did. So, I had a base from which to work, and the first part, I tried to copy the level directly, or as best as I could. Then, from there, I thought 'ok, how can I mix it up a bit? How can I change things and make it my own? Also, how the hell am I going to possibly end this? And while the level that was made is certainly serviceable and I was pretty much happy with it when it was done, I can 100% see many faults with it already.

So, while it's not suggested that you ever do any sort of 1-1 copy of an existing level, you could use one for inspiration. Like SMB3's Pyramid level in World 2, or the outdoor pipe maze in the desert from World 7.

(ninja edit: Oh, and try and start with your favourite game style. I love SMB3 the most, and my two completed levels are both in that style. It's the most inspiring to me, really, and that does help)

EDIT:

zfleeman posted:

Are there any of the Yamamura tutorials that specifically cover the in game camera? I want to know how to make 'rooms' in levels better with the camera being fixed and not zipping around everywhere.

I don't know if there are any Yamamura tutorials for it specifically, but the jist (gist?) of getting what you want is simply to put ground blocks from one end of the level to the other to prevent the camera from moving past it. That means that if you want a 1-screen level, you can't just simply block off that one screen; whatever walls you make must extend past that room itself. So, let's say you've got a horizontal area and it's like 6 screens long, so you've therefore got 12 screens in total (6 on the bottom, 6 across the top). If you want your first area where you begin to be the first room, your walls will have to extend all the way up from the very bottom of the area to the very top (meaning into the 'screen' above your current room). This also means that if you want a definite ceiling, that wall that you use for it will have to extend the entire length of your horizontal area, thus separating the rest of the level as well. You unfortunately can't have just one little boxed in room, and the rest of the area allows for free camera movement.

The only way that would be possible would be if some of the blocks you used were the kind that are only destructible by bob-omb, and you blew them up. Then, your camera could move on from the one room.

Another thing you have to contend with is that if you spawn into the room (via pipe or door) and Mario is too close to the wall you put up and you can see the other side of it, you'll have to move away from the wall for the screen to lock. Normally, the screen sort of centres on Mario (or whoever you're playing as) when he enters the scene, which unfortunately will allow the camera to go beyond your wall. So really, once you make your room, try and put your entrance to that room either in the centre of the room, or near the natural, absolute border of your play area.

Hope all of that helps!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 18, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

I played that Lilliput one with the goombrat village last night and it was incredible, fun little key hunt in a well designed and well decorated level.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

zfleeman posted:

The only real control you have over it (unless you’re auto scrolling, is scroll stop. You can do both horizontal and vertical scroll stop on either level layout, but you have to cover the entire scroll stop line with ground or hard blocks all the way through the level, which makes doing it ‘long ways’ a big pain.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

zfleeman posted:

No but I can help out with this!

The edge of each screen is what the black borders are on the tiles in creation mode. The thicker lines. You can get a feel for how much room you have using those as a guideline.

Scroll Stop is a godsend but also has a pretty heavy limitation. It will only stop scrolling one way. Not both, and if your stage is vertical or horizontal it'll determine which one gets more priority.
-If it's Horizontal you can't cause screen scrolling to halt from climbing upwards, even if you create a perfect ceiling. It'll prioritize the vertical wall first.

-If it's Vertical and you have a ceiling, it'll cause the screen scroll to stop when climbing but you can't cut the map in half if you do this.

-On Horizontal levels the scroll stop is already in effect as if there was a low ceiling. If you don't put any course elements above the top bold line in creation mode the camera will only slightly rise higher than what's below it (think Mario 1's shortcut to the warp zone where you could only see Mario's feet)

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

zfleeman posted:

Scroll stops are made by extending hard blocks or ground tiles the height of the course for a horizontal stop or the length of the course for a vertical stop. any break in that line will free the camera to move, even after the level has started. (Breaking through hard blocks to get to a neighboring screen, for example.)

These scroll stops will also stop an autoscroll level from proceeding until the line is broken, at which point it starts moving again.

If you look at the editor, the thick lines will give you an idea for the size of a single screen. That said, it can be a little fidgety to get them just how you want them.

e: beaten and apparently not entirely correct?

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 18, 2019

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I'm still working on my jam level

https://twitter.com/BorlandCorp/status/1151689597266477057?s=19

But my memory of the movie is not great. I may just make it a bunch of Cohen set pieces

My memory of the movie is also not perfect, thought about watching it before I made my level last night (The Super Monty Mole Proxy: 3M8-O7T-C2G) but just did my best. Making a level that tries to tell a story is hard, at least if it's a movie like Hudsucker Proxy, feel like I ran out of space too fast and the "set" limitation is an issue. Would be nice if we could get an allocated amount of space that could be divided across several layers so more than 2 themes could be used. Also the ability to make proper text bubbles that aren't like comments added later would be nice...and maybe an ability to recolor a block or just some art blocks that aren't interactable. Maybe I just used the wrong themes and tilesets, idk.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Huxley posted:

But you can't make a level about throwing a princess down a mine shaft.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

I take a few hours (or occasionally longer), but it's enjoyable and a lot of my time is just play-testing and making tweaks. I'm sure everyone approaches things differently, but here are some tips that help me:

- For a first level, to get your feet wet, try making a level similar to one you've liked in a normal Mario game. Don't copy a level outright, but make something new in a similar style. My first level was a SMB3-style airship level.

- The first thing I decide on is a setting. Look through the possible backgrounds for inspiration, and consider using a different main world and sub-world to make things interesting. For example, I saw an icy dungeon level that combined an icy main world and a dungeon sub-world (posted somewhere in this thread, I think), with icicles occasionally dripping into the dungeon, and I thought it was really cool.

- Limit the number of enemy-types and challenge-types you use. Try not to use more than, say, 4 or 5 enemy types, to give your level a bit of cohesiveness. I find that imposing limits like this help me to be creative, since it gets rid of some of that decision paralysis.

- Don't go overboard. It's tempting to put three Bowser fights and a room with 20 Magikoopa, but that sort of thing generally isn't very fun to play. Feel free to make some parts of your level straightforward, since the simple act of running in a level and jumping on an enemy or two is enjoyable.

Finally, here's a level-design video that I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFrT7-19JI.

Edit: Oh, and as for the for the controls, using the touch screen (with your finger or a stylus) feels much better than trying to only use buttons.

Edit 2: Also, play-test your level multiple times. Look for parts that could frustrate players and alter the challenges to be a little more fun. And if you think the level is really hard, you should probably make it easier. It's common for creators to make levels that are too hard, so keep that in mind. Have fun creating!

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 18, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Reposting my Jam level for the morning crew:

Title: Like Father, Like Son
Code: 9J7-M44-37G
Description: Enjoy some time with your Player Two in this family-friendly stage.
Difficulty: Easy/Normal

Also bonus level that I'm not adding to the spreadsheet, I set out to make the most obnoxious level possible, full of effect spam and poo poo coming at you. You know, for the kids.

F04-2Q6-3QG

I'll probably take it down soon, so enjoy it while it exists!

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 18, 2019

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

But you can't make a level about throwing a princess down a mine shaft.

Honestly, I just played a "don't turn around" level and a "make enemies trigger things for you" level back to back last night and thought, "Hey you could do a real interesting Orpheus and Eurydice thing by combining those. I'm sure this has been done to death, though.

e: Haha, the contraptions to make this work are actually called Orpheus contraptions. Still a fun idea I'll play around with.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 18, 2019

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I was planning to make a simple, rompy level but ended up making another challenging abstract obstacle course

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Not a Jam level, in fact this one was supposed to be pretty difficult, it's a Ghost House course I've been spending a few days on and off getting together:

Haunted Hall
CYK-KDX-04G

It's actually a slight remake of a Ghost House course I did in MM1, with some new tricks and traps.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Not a Jam level, in fact this one was supposed to be pretty difficult, it's a Ghost House course I've been spending a few days on and off getting together:

Haunted Hall
CYK-KDX-04G

It's actually a slight remake of a Ghost House course I did in MM1, with some new tricks and traps.

I liked it! A lot!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DalaranJ posted:

Whispering Bluffs, but I've "only" played about 1/9 of all the goon levels. There are so many good ones too!

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

finished my jam level

my baby loves it!!!

TVQ-XC1-5VF

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Oh man, I just thought of the perfect title for one of my level concepts, now I have to make the level. :stoked:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhythmancer
Jun 5, 2004
Mr. Saturn
Jam level complete!

Claw Machine Kingdom

K0R-6TK-H1H

Perhaps a more literal interpretation than some of the submissions, and probably the only one I'll ever do with the NSMBU tilset. Expect a simple level with a few obvious secrets and some sfx overuse.