Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I kinda sorta despise robins because they're about the only bird you regularly see around here. At least these were doing something interesting.

Robin Dinner by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

lizards are wildlife, right?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Never realized there was a thread here for wildlife. I do a bunch of underwater photography, and capture all sorts of fun animals. I stray into terrestrial animals every now and again, but I'm in the water taking pics wayyyy more often than on land.

A soft coral mound, near Christ of the Abyss (off of Key Largo):

A striped burrfish (relative of the puffer), checking out my camera (same site as previous):

This is a sandtiger shark (aka a ragged tooth nurse shark, grey nurse shark, or other names depending on region). Found 20 miles off the coast of NC, on the wreck of the US Army Corps of Engineers dredge Hyde:

This goofy guy is Shelldon, the resident green sea turtle at the NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher. They think he suffered lung damage from an infection he had as a hatchling, and his progress was so slow that he became acclimated to captivity...so he stays at the aquarium now and harasses divers and mermaids alike.

Wait, mermaids?

We had the Weeki Wachee mermaids come visit us at NCAFF, and Shelldon took a liking to them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Monkeys rescued from poachers.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I went to the zoo on Saturday, so it’s not really wildlife, but it is of animals. :v:

Zoo creatures by Adam Duskett, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

I went to the zoo on Saturday, so it’s not really wildlife, but it is of animals. :v:

I couldn't see the mid-air fish on my phone, but looking on my computer just now, this photo rules.

Thought this was interesting, photographer loses prize after photoshopping ears of famous elephant

Also a few from a recent trip to North Carolina

Sourwood Toad-4764 by Alan Krakauer, on Flickr

Elderberry Longhorn Beetle Celo-5125 by Alan Krakauer, on Flickr

Celo Inn Fireflies logo-5085 by Alan Krakauer, on Flickr

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
From a recent trip to New Mexico

Short-Horned lizard by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Bleached earless lizard by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Darkling beetle by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Eastern Fence Lizard by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Prarie Dog by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

nice, I'm going to be in like loving despair over not having blue water to dive once I'm done with grad school startup and I realize I haven't dove in a month

now I get to take photos of such exotic animals as uhhhhhhh

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Went to the Olympics yesterday.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

Went to the Olympics yesterday.

Pictures like these cause me physical pain living in Chicago.

That cinnamon color phase black bear cub is awesome! It is a black bear, right? You guys don't have grizzlies in the Olympics?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

charliebravo77 posted:

Pictures like these cause me physical pain living in Chicago.

That cinnamon color phase black bear cub is awesome! It is a black bear, right? You guys don't have grizzlies in the Olympics?

I dunno what kind of bear it is honestly. I was at Olympic Game Farm and it just hung out in the grass laying low the whole time.

Also, I live in Elgin, so don’t feel too much pain.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

I dunno what kind of bear it is honestly. I was at Olympic Game Farm and it just hung out in the grass laying low the whole time.

Also, I live in Elgin, so don’t feel too much pain.

Ah, so maybe it was a grizz then. Sup chicagoland pal, I'm actually in Glenview.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

This one really stands out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Too much vignette but the bear owns.

If you're in Chicaoland and want some fuzzy stuff to photograph, go out to Fermilab. They have a bison herd (this spring they had like 10 babies), a billion prairie birds, and occasionally a coyote.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

xzzy posted:

Too much vignette but the bear owns.

When seen as thumbnail, I agree. Maybe just a little tighter crop and pull back vignette some

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
New Elk by B. B., on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

loving adorable.

Got lucky and ran into the white squirrel that lives near the chemistry building again.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
he lurk

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I did the trade in deal for the EM-1X and it's a loving riot, I just went ham with the 60 fps raws. im bringing my hit rate to all time lows yall

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Cows and Calves by B. B., on Flickr

Almost All the Calves by B. B., on Flickr

Looking Left by B. B., on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

When Momma and two cubs run out of dandelions on one side of the road, and decide to walk in front of your car to the other side, you can't not take a picture. Lucky for the bears, there was only us and two other cars on the road, it was a quiet road in a provincial park. Mom was radio collared, and the girl at the camp shop said "Oh yeah, that's 193, she's our local bear".

P1080183 by King Dugga, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Well, the loving elk didn't like their picture being taken and hired a deer hit-person. She missed, though. She comes down the mountain on the right about a second into the video.

Near Deer Suicide1 by B. B., on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Got back in the water the other day finally.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Those fish look pretty unimpressed by you taking their picture.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That first one looks like a bluegill, and if they’re anything like the ones I’ve met it was about to swing at you. Outside of triggerfish ( :argh: ) they’re the most aggressive fish I’ve ever come across underwater. They fight each other, they fight divers, they’ll fight each other over who gets to fight the diver, etc. I always thought of them as Mr Grumpy Gills, except with a temper.

e: permits are hilariously aggressive too. I’ve been bitten by triggerfish, permits, and bluegills before, why do you ask? :v:

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Quasi-wildlife today. I'm pretty sure they could all escape these gardens if they wanted to.

Anderson Japanese Gardens by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Think its about time I started actually partisipating instead of lurking.
So just got back from a little holiday in Chester, England. They have a fantastic Zoo there which I recommend to anyone who's travelling through. One thing I need to learn though is more control over the number of shots I take, I have a bad habbit of leaving my camera in CH and just taking way way to many shots, storage wise its not an issue but going through them in lightroom after is seriously killing my drive to develop and upload them.

Anyway here are 2 I took from the reptile exhibition they have, was very challenging what with the low light, child fingerprint covered glass and glare from lights. Things got easier when I switched off my mid range zoom to a macro prime.

Green by Gareth Dineen, on Flickr

Eye spy by Gareth Dineen, on Flickr

I'll post more as I work my way through them.

As no one has posted since my last post I'll just edit this one.

A Bali Starling. Almost extinct in the wild :( . Again taken at Chester Zoo where they are having success with a breeding program.
Bali Starling by Gareth Dineen, on Flickr

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 16, 2019

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Rainy day here so rainy bear time

Mega Comrade posted:

taking way way to many shots
No such thing.

Also, those zoo shots came out great especially considering it was through glass.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Seal

Seal by Marc, on Flickr

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Was in San Diego and made it out to the zoo. Weather was great and most of the animals were active, though I continue my unbroken streak of never seeing a Red Panda do anything except sleep in a place where I can only barely make out a patch of fur. Everything shot on a Nikon D40 and a Nikkor 55-200mm lens.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Absolutely amazing photo... :stare:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I have the same reaction to kale.

werewerewolf
Mar 22, 2001

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Was in San Diego and made it out to the zoo. Weather was great and most of the animals were active, though I continue my unbroken streak of never seeing a Red Panda do anything except sleep in a place where I can only barely make out a patch of fur.

Yay, an excuse to post! Come to the Philly Zoo, I got these a few weeks ago:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The scope-out:
IMG_1210.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

The heist:
IMG_1215.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

The payoff:
IMG_1219.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr
Was eating at a temple by the river and this guy kept stealing offcuts of coconut from the stalls selling coconut water. He was tame enough to take some from my hand a few minutes later.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Jasper Black Bears - Mom and Cub by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008
This is my first foray into wildlife photography

Blue-Footed Booby

Sally Lightfoot Crab

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Not mine, but it was too good not to post here.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Not mine, but it was too good not to post here.

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
No Eyes by B. B., on Flickr

Round 2 by B. B., on Flickr