Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Axiom Verge

Almost done with the game and it's over all pretty good. But gently caress it and any other game that uses double tap to dash. I'm constantly dashing accidentally when trying to make small adjustments to my position and taking too long to dash when I actually need to. Just give me a dedicated dash button damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

One thing in RDR2's favor along those lines is that maybe the second thing you see after starting a game is a subtitle option screen, something I hope to see required by law in the near future.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Spek posted:

Axiom Verge

Almost done with the game and it's over all pretty good. But gently caress it and any other game that uses double tap to dash. I'm constantly dashing accidentally when trying to make small adjustments to my position and taking too long to dash when I actually need to. Just give me a dedicated dash button damnit.
Anything that sets Crouch, Sneak, Run, *Whatever* to L3 and won't let me change it. I can't help it I keep a death grip on my controller and will jam that joystick all the time.

Many a game with me dying because I decide to squat down when I need to be booking rear end.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

dudeness posted:

Vampyr (and many other games that I can't remember atm). You can skip lines of dialogue, and you can enable subtitles for dialogue so that you can just read them, but there are some lines that don't display the subtitles fully so if you skip it you only see part of it.

I'm playing this on game pass just now and this is driving me up the loving wall. There's far too much blathering on as it is please let me skip it.

Honestly, Vampyr is a good 7/10 game that's three times as long as it should be and I'm just finishing it out of stubbornness now. You just do the exact same thing all game and everything takes too long and the story starts decent and doesn't go anywhere.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of, Days Gone is a fantastic game but the control scheme is so weird and non standard that I don't think I'll ever get used to it. Circle is the crouch button, and L3 is to sprint. R1 is the dodge roll button, and R2 is the melee button (replaced by shoot button while aiming, you can't blind fire even though it'd be incredibly useful). Interact is on square, except in menus where it is on X. Like... Why?? Why is any of that bound like that???

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

World Famous W posted:

Anything that sets Crouch, Sneak, Run, *Whatever* to L3 and won't let me change it. I can't help it I keep a death grip on my controller and will jam that joystick all the time.

Many a game with me dying because I decide to squat down when I need to be booking rear end.

Oh yeah I was doing that with Breath of the Wild a few months ago. Every time I panickedly tried to run away from something I'd push the stick a bit too hard and Link'd crouch down getting me killed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I complained about Red Dead Redemption 2 yesterday, and a second day in, I kinda want to know if the game's dynamic really changes? Going for a cinematic feel is understandable, but everything so far seems like it's to the detriment of fun gameplay. Everything is just soooo slooooooooowwwwww.

Like, walking speed is about the same as me, hungover at 2 AM and shuffling to find the bathroom without opening my eyes, but I'm constantly feeling locked down to this speed when I'm around NPCs. Animating every action looks neat, but it gets old fast to slowly step around, maneuver myself into the right position, and watch the character act out every instance of searching/looting/etc.

When I'm actually DOING something on a mission it feels fun, but every time it feels like the same setup:
- Five+ minutes of "hold x to match speed" while slowly meandering along through unskippable dialogue (immediately repeatable without skipping if you screw up something, like when my horse randomly died multiple times just now from bad pathfinding while I zoning out during minutes on end of going down an empty trail)
- Fiddle around with horse inventory because you can't carry all the weapons you want
- Have some fun, mixed in with slow wandering around looting or whatever
- Five+ minutes of matching speed with more unskippable dialogue on the way home, also repeated if you screw up

I'm really struggling to stay interested, maybe this just isn't the game for me :(

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 23:47 on Jul 18, 2019

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Rockstar has been doing their damnedest to strangle any sense of fun out of their games since Bully.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Captain Hygiene posted:

I complained about Red Dead Redemption 2 yesterday, and a second day in, I kinda want to know if the game's dynamic really changes? Going for a cinematic feel is understandable, but everything so far seems like it's to the detriment of fun gameplay. Everything is just soooo slooooooooowwwwww.

Like, walking speed is about the same as me, hungover at 2 AM and shuffling to find the bathroom without opening my eyes, but I'm constantly feeling locked down to this speed when I'm around NPCs. Animating every action looks neat, but it gets old fast to slowly step around, maneuver myself into the right position, and watch the character act out every instance of searching/looting/etc.

When I'm actually DOING something on a mission it feels fun, but every time it feels like the same setup:
- Five+ minutes of "hold x to match speed" while slowly meandering along through unskippable dialogue (immediately repeatable without skipping if you screw up something, like when my horse randomly died just now)
- Fiddle around with horse inventory because you can't carry all the weapons you want
- Five+ minutes of matching speed with more unskippable dialogue on the way home, also repeated if you screw up

I'm really struggling to stay interested, maybe this just isn't the game for me :(

That's why I dropped it. Rockstar seems to think they're not making a video game, but writing the great American novel or something. If the writers of RDR2 have so many great ideas for dialogue, then, by all means, they should write a book - but please trim it down a bit if you're making a video game. There's just so much talking and so much horse riding, and all the horse riding amounts to is holding one button or doing auto-ride. And you gotta ride to and from every single mission. Just warp the drat cowboy to the mission location, so something fun can happen.

Plus it felt like there were a disproportionate number of missions that were just "go to this location so you can see our characters talk and talk and chat and talk amongst one another." Yeah, I really loved the thrilling mission where I talked with a kid's mother, took the kid out fishing, then talked to some Pinkertons, and then brought the kid back home.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Byzantine posted:

Rockstar has been doing their damnedest to strangle any sense of fun out of their games since Bully.

I thought RDR2 was their most fun yet. Just head off in a compass direction and see what you find. I discovered a mammoth skeleton, a frozen conquistador and what I think was a crashed experimental airplane. The rest of the time I was just doing a bit of hunting and taking nice photos of the sky. It's great.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, gently caress. Maybe I'll just stop with the story before forcing myself to sink too much time trying to like it. At least it was half price, but I really wish I'd held out on my internal promise to wait til I could find it for $20 plus use some credits on it.

Guess I'll just run around looking for a crashed airplane or something and see if that makes me more interested.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The story missions are honestly like that from the very beginning to the very end. It never changes, or expands on your options, or opens up to new possibilities. You have to do what the game says when it says it and not before or even a moment after or else you fail for breaking the scripting. It is a really great story told incredibly poorly and that is such a shame to me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The story missions are honestly like that from the very beginning to the very end. It never changes, or expands on your options, or opens up to new possibilities. You have to do what the game says when it says it and not before or even a moment after or else you fail for breaking the scripting. It is a really great story told incredibly poorly that is such a shame to me.

What finally drove me to pick it up was a friend telling me how much they liked the story, and particularly the ending, so that's super disappointing. I won't rule out doing it eventually, but I just don't feel like I have the stamina to get through it right now when I'm already beating my head against the wall at its delivery for the first few hours :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's the saddest thing about it, is that the game's narrative has a truly brilliant payoff... except the game is also like 60 solid hours of that annoying scripted sequence stuff to endure to get there.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

What finally drove me to pick it up was a friend telling me how much they liked the story, and particularly the ending, so that's super disappointing. I won't rule out doing it eventually, but I just don't feel like I have the stamina to get through it right now when I'm already beating my head against the wall at its delivery for the first few hours :(

It's not a good game.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
The voice acting, dialogue, and writing in RDR2 are uncommonly good. But it's just not fun to play, and it's bloated to hell. There are a lot of random encounters in the world, a lot of which unfold very organically and are really cool - but even then I always felt like I was struggling with a billion mechanics at once, with my three meters and horse weapons and all these different kinds of restorative items to manage. I moved slowly and awkwardly, shooting didn't feel good at all, it was just a mess. And I'm someone who loved GTA V and the first RDR. I even liked GTA IV.

Might be better just to watch a playthrough if you want to see the story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Still playing The Sinking City and something that's kind of annoying is just how much hoofing it you have to do around the city. You go to a place, get clues, have to go do some research and then have to go to another place. Which normally wouldn't be too bad but the city is just a pain to travel through. Fast travel points are few and far between, the streets meander and more often than not you have to take a boat through a flooded area. It just makes everything take that much longer.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I would have liked RDR2’s thing where you can carry just two sidearms and two long guns on your person but all the guns on your horse as a cool compromise between the usual “you can carry 2 guns” or “you can carry infinity guns and switch between them whenever” schools of shooter inventory, if the game wasn’t constantly removing or changing the guns off your character.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

Just warp the drat cowboy

New thread title please

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Not actually a game but it's super lovely I can't use a Target gift card to buy eShop money. I won a gift card at work and they didn't have DQB2 in stock so I figured I'd just buy an eShop card and get it that way. But nah can't use it for that because gently caress you that's why.

drat HR department giving me a Target gift card from a raffle. Talk about wishing on a monkey paw.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dear stellaris: Please, please, please stop making all my immediate neighbors megacorps or hive minds/robots every time I play a megacorp.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Casey Finnigan posted:

The voice acting, dialogue, and writing in RDR2 are uncommonly good. But it's just not fun to play, and it's bloated to hell. There are a lot of random encounters in the world, a lot of which unfold very organically and are really cool - but even then I always felt like I was struggling with a billion mechanics at once, with my three meters and horse weapons and all these different kinds of restorative items to manage. I moved slowly and awkwardly, shooting didn't feel good at all, it was just a mess. And I'm someone who loved GTA V and the first RDR. I even liked GTA IV.

Might be better just to watch a playthrough if you want to see the story.

I won't be buying RDR2 but I have gotten a lot of entertainment value these past six months reading posts like "c'mon guys the controls aren't THAT bad, all you gotta do is manage your three core meters to walk forward and rebind R2 so that you don't accidentally shoot your own horse. You know, for realism."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also the deadeye meter itself is one of those cores, and when it is drained to red (critically low) it won't automatically refill on kills anymore and your aim gets all wobbly and unstable. Not even the shootouts are fun. It's really miserable.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

Also the deadeye meter itself is one of those cores, and when it is drained to red (critically low) it won't automatically refill on kills anymore and your aim gets all wobbly and unstable. Not even the shootouts are fun. It's really miserable.

Wait, that's how you refill it? That's why I never had steady aim?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes, deadeye refills via munching on chewing tabacco or taking deadeye tonic, but it also refills a little for each kill a la Max Payne... unless it's in the red, in which case it no longer does that.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Didn't it just refill on its own in the previous Red Deads? :psyduck:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The most popular mod for Red Dead 2 when it hits PC will be the option to turn off all the sim-crap nobody liked.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I won't be buying RDR2 but I have gotten a lot of entertainment value these past six months reading posts like "c'mon guys the controls aren't THAT bad, all you gotta do is manage your three core meters to walk forward and rebind R2 so that you don't accidentally shoot your own horse. You know, for realism."

The pursuit of "realism" has killed countless tabletop RPGs and I'm kind of sad that the disease has reached video games.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The most popular mod for Red Dead 2 when it hits PC will be the option to turn off all the sim-crap nobody liked.

Did Red Dead 1 ever get a PC release?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No, the alleged reason is that they'd have to basically remake the game from the ground up to get it to run on PCs because it was so tuned to console hardware, so they didn't ever bother. RDR2 however recently got an update that contains PC patch files so it's definitely coming someday. Or at least, it's in the works.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah RDR was a shitshow behind the scenes and they'd expected it to lose money so it was never in a state that could be easily ported.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm taking another crack at Far Cry 4 and finding it a bit more enjoyable this time around (I'm just letting the farcical nature of the plot wash over me, now that I know in advance that the running theme of the game is that literally every single character except maybe Pagan Min is an rear end in a top hat who just wants to use you for their own ends) but one of the things that originally pissed me off is doing so again.

In order to unlock arguably the best gun in the game, a top tier silenced assault rifle, you need to hit level 10 in the arena. Your options for doing this are A) grind for several hours in-game against very basic wave-based encounters (that are nonetheless still easy to lose to because of bad design) or B) download a stupid mobile app mini-game that'll let you get extremely easy and free XP just for beep booping some buttons once in a while, probably taking a little less time but ultimately far less effort.

Except oh wait the app servers are dead and buried, so there's actually only one option. :goleft:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Captain Hygiene posted:

- Five+ minutes of "hold x to match speed" while slowly meandering along through unskippable dialogue (immediately repeatable without skipping if you screw up something, like when my horse randomly died multiple times just now from bad pathfinding while I zoning out during minutes on end of going down an empty trail)

These are some of the reasons I put the game down after 10 hours and uninstalled it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

John Murdoch posted:

I'm taking another crack at Far Cry 4 and finding it a bit more enjoyable this time around (I'm just letting the farcical nature of the plot wash over me, now that I know in advance that the running theme of the game is that literally every single character except maybe Pagan Min is an rear end in a top hat who just wants to use you for their own ends) but one of the things that originally pissed me off is doing so again.

In order to unlock arguably the best gun in the game, a top tier silenced assault rifle, you need to hit level 10 in the arena. Your options for doing this are A) grind for several hours in-game against very basic wave-based encounters (that are nonetheless still easy to lose to because of bad design) or B) download a stupid mobile app mini-game that'll let you get extremely easy and free XP just for beep booping some buttons once in a while, probably taking a little less time but ultimately far less effort.

Except oh wait the app servers are dead and buried, so there's actually only one option. :goleft:

They really should've had an option, sometime before you assault his fortress, to simply ally with Pagan Min. Like, his rule is in shambles, he still needs to flee, but gently caress it, shoot the rear end in a top hat rebel leaders and leave with him. I think it'd be the only time in a videogame where I would side with the villain and not feel bad about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Big Mad Drongo posted:

The pursuit of "realism" has killed countless tabletop RPGs and I'm kind of sad that the disease has reached video games.

People talk all the time about RDR2 being an "immersive" experience but the presence of 27 different contextual buttons and meter management to me is like, whatever the exact opposite of immersion would be in this case. Call it super video gamey. The rare sort of game I've found myself fully engaged in are typically minimalist in design, simple controls, no tooltips, no instructional dialogue, light or almost nonexistent UI, etc.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

People talk all the time about RDR2 being an "immersive" experience but the presence of 27 different contextual buttons and meter management to me is like, whatever the exact opposite of immersion would be in this case. Call it super video gamey. The rare sort of game I've found myself fully engaged in are typically minimalist in design, simple controls, no tooltips, no instructional dialogue, light or almost nonexistent UI, etc.

Pretty much, I think I am giving up. The story and world would work just fine if I was just freer to run around and if critical stuff was kept to the cutscenes rather than enforce travel segments. Y'know, like pretty much any other open world I've played.

Happy to hear there might be hope that Arthur could eventually follow in the footsteps of the Fat CJ with infinite stamina & skills I got on PC, though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

They really should've had an option, sometime before you assault his fortress, to simply ally with Pagan Min. Like, his rule is in shambles, he still needs to flee, but gently caress it, shoot the rear end in a top hat rebel leaders and leave with him. I think it'd be the only time in a videogame where I would side with the villain and not feel bad about it.

Way back at the beginning, with the crab rangoon, just wait for Pagan to finish his business and get back.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Far Cry 3 was easy to 100 outside of 1 missable. Far Cry 4 is an absolute chore because it saw fit to drive every good idea into the ground. There are 5 identical missions where you go on a dream-quest for some reason. There are 5 identical missions where you go on a druptrip aided by those loving awful brit-expats. The Radio DJ is this gross loser with a fascination for poo poo. Far Cry falls far short of Fallout when it comes to politics, which is why the 'everyone suck' conclusion is such a copout. Also the main character is voiced by a white guy, which is disappointing.

Far Cry 4, and the series as a whole, is blighted by having so many of cast being aggravating to talk to, and by the series trying to be edgey and wacky instead of just possessing a sense of humour.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Jul 19, 2019

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Morpheus posted:

I would have loved an option to go back to Pagan after a few missions and say "Yeah, Amita and Sabal both suck. Let's kill them, and that weirdo DJ while we're at it." Still the best Far Cry game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I love sr2 and haven't played HD yet but not losing the systems in that situation is a terrible change wtf

Yeah, tell me about it. Especially since I rushed it to get some power shift to happen, since now that the pirates are basically a fourth enemy section, the commonwealth-AI seems to easily run out of systems and resources to retake or actually do anything meaningful.

I do not know if it bugged out or not, but when I killed that blue robot boss (telleroids) in the black hole minigame it said that they will emigrate to the other parts of the galaxy to find the insectoids etc. which used to trigger the instant clear-all in SR2. However, I did not have the science station research done, and it did not clear out the kelleroid-held systems and the remnants are not going anywhere or dwindling in their numbers so maybe I should have had that.

Similarly, the space-roaming boss (the red one) is nowhere to be found, and I have no idea if I have to deal with the added pirates-content before it spawns. In SR2 it used to spearhead attacks and sometimes show up to defend their systems but I have not seen it once in the entire multi-gameyear spanning campaign. The research station says something vague about joining as a double agent to solve the issue with the pirates, but the translation work on the HD-added content is very poor and minimal. Anyway, since the green one has fixed location, it was in its home system *and* it surrendered normally, freeing all systems and killing all its units the moment I used the science base-given hack program on it. But still, the red one is completely missing and I have no idea what to do with the pirates.

I think I need to restart and redo the campaign up to being able to kill the blue boss, to test if it just bugged out. In any case, if it is an option to run the campaign without the HD-added content, I think it might be worthwhile to do so because the balance seems to be completely off with the strong pirate faction.