Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Risky Bisquick posted:

Did you tighten the screws all at once?

e: oh its the socket A clip back from the dead, yeah good ol clips

Do they still make the Golden Orb? I ground the corners off my 1GHz Tbird but it still worked for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Cojawfee posted:

Whenever I built an AMD PC, I was always worried I was going to break the drat thing when putting those clips on.

Makes me thankful Noctua makes you take that poo poo off before installing their heatsinks.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

jabro posted:

Holy poo poo the wraith prism is a piece of poo poo with its locking mechanism. It unseated my 3900x and broke a pin off.

:stare:
Sorry for your loss...

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The motherboard manufacturers need to get some updates out because I basically can't get the RAM to OC without a black screen when powering on. Some people on Reddit are complaining about the same thing.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I've sent my x570 back, and bought another x470 board.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

jabro posted:

Holy poo poo the wraith prism is a piece of poo poo with its locking mechanism. It unseated my 3900x and broke a pin off.

drat, that's terrible. I can't remember if the 3700X has the same stock HSF, but when I went to remove mine so I could flash a compatible EFI using a 2200G it actually ripped the processor out with thermal grease suction. They had so much grease on there that it was oozing out the edges on all four sides, probably three or four times what I would have used. Here's what it looked like after I got the processor to budge a bit with careful pressure on the heatspreader:

I had to unbend like five or six pins to be able to get the processor back in the socket, which was a fun fifteen minutes or so.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

triple sulk posted:

The motherboard manufacturers need to get some updates out because I basically can't get the RAM to OC without a black screen when powering on. Some people on Reddit are complaining about the same thing.

At least your poo poo boots. I can't even get a POST on mine and I don't have a 1xxx to roll back to.
I tried pulling sticks of RAM a few minutes ago and that doesn't even get me a POST. At this point I guess the next cheapest option is a different motherboard or RAM. Yay.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

BlackMK4 posted:

At least your poo poo boots. I can't even get a POST on mine and I don't have a 1xxx to roll back to.
I tried pulling sticks of RAM a few minutes ago and that doesn't even get me a POST. At this point I guess the next cheapest option is a different motherboard or RAM. Yay.

Here I was ticked off that I had to run my ram at 1.4v instead of the 1.35v listed by the GSkill to get CL15 stable. drat that sucks man.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

triple sulk posted:

If it's not x570 or otherwise pre-AGESA 1.0.0.3 (possibly 1.0.0.3ab) you need to manually adjust a few voltages. MSI is supposed to drop updated b450/x470 bios sometime next week. No idea about other vendors.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 18, 2019

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Because of increasing pin density this may be the last time that AMD goes PGA, especially since Ryzen is good enough to command enough respect that mobo makers would be willing to eat the tiny margin loss on an LGA socket. So ripping the CPU out the socket may be a thing of the past for AM5.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Khorne posted:

If it's not x570 or otherwise pre-AGESA 1.0.0.3 (possibly 1.0.0.3ab) you need to manually adjust a few voltages. MSI is supposed to drop updated b450/x470 bios sometime next week. No idea about other vendors.

That links to a post from 2017?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

That links to a post from 2017?
I think I fixed it now. I clicked the # under the post in the post history and it gave that link. I updated it to a different link from quoting the post, previewing, and stealing the link from the quote box.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Khorne posted:

I think I fixed it now. I clicked the # under the post in the post history and it gave that link. I updated it to a different link from quoting the post, previewing, and stealing the link from the quote box.

Good info! I was keen on anything about memory issues.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Anyone tried activating the game pass rewards thing? Does it take a while to get the actual key after going through the amd rewards coupon registration etc?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a list of motherboards that actually work with the 3xxx out of the box?

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there a list of motherboards that actually work with the 3xxx out of the box?

Any x570 board.

Any 3/400 board needs to be updated and there isn't a guarantee that has happened prior to purchase.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

X570 boards, plus any of the B450/X470 boards on this list of boards that support CPU-less USB bios flashing (you'll a way to set up the USB stick with the bios update, though). Anything that says "Ryzen 3000 ready" on the box should already have an updated bios, but I don't know if those are hitting stores yet.

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Because of increasing pin density this may be the last time that AMD goes PGA, especially since Ryzen is good enough to command enough respect that mobo makers would be willing to eat the tiny margin loss on an LGA socket. So ripping the CPU out the socket may be a thing of the past for AM5.

I hope so - I'd much rather destroy an $100-200 motherboard than a $300-500 processor.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 18, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Stickman posted:

X570 boards, plus any of the B450/X470 boards on this list of boards that support CPU-less USB bios flashing (you'll a way to set up the USB stick with the bios update, though). Anything that says "Ryzen 3000 ready" on the box should already have an updated bios, but I don't know if those are hitting stores yet.

I hope so - I'd much rather destroy an $100-200 motherboard than a $300-500 processor.

They're in stores now, but afaik there's no way to ensure you get one when ordering online.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

MSI is respinning the B450 Tomahawk and other 400 boards with a larger Bios chip. They should have MAX in the name and be out soonish?
Those will support Zen 3000's for sure.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

I am the same right now, got a 3600 on an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC. As far as I know I've USB flashed it correctly, but I get that little red CPU is the problem light every time.

I haven't really had the time to troubleshoot more though, so I guess there's hope?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Khaba posted:

I am the same right now, got a 3600 on an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC. As far as I know I've USB flashed it correctly, but I get that little red CPU is the problem light every time.

I haven't really had the time to troubleshoot more though, so I guess there's hope?

I returned my 3600 today and picked up a 2600 for $130 from BB (pricematched Amazon) since I need this thing for work. Installed it and I get the same thing, I guess my BIOS got bricked during the flash. It doesn't have flashback and the ASUS crashfree tool isn't recovering it. :rolleyes:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Turns out running XMP2 with the 3200 MHz leads to instability on my end. Ah well, using XMP1 and 2933 now.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Stickman posted:

Same, also if AMD pulls another 4 year plan with AM5, they'll probably have all X770 and B750 series boards start out with USB flashback and 32MB BIOS chips, which should eliminate the complete clusterfuck X370 to X570 has been.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dang, looks like Zen 4 needs a 64MB BIOS ROM. Sorry guys, we'll consider putting out some new boards sometime.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm sitting here in the work cafeteria on a Friday afternoon looking at the tracker telling me 3 of 4 packages containing my new pc have been delivered, but the 4th has a delivery date of Tuesday next week :negative:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

I returned my 3600 today and picked up a 2600 for $130 from BB (pricematched Amazon) since I need this thing for work. Installed it and I get the same thing, I guess my BIOS got bricked during the flash. It doesn't have flashback and the ASUS crashfree tool isn't recovering it. :rolleyes:

Khaba posted:

I haven't really had the time to troubleshoot more though, so I guess there's haope?
Try this. Also, MSI is supposed to release a new bios on monday for the b450 boards but who knows if it got delayed or not.

I don't think anyone bricked anything.

eames
May 9, 2009

FWIW the way to avoid accidents like this is to twist the HSF left and right before lifting it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I can't believe it's that hard to design a PGA socket with better retention than that.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Any info about Asus B450 bios release schedule?

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

NTRabbit posted:

I'm sitting here in the work cafeteria on a Friday afternoon looking at the tracker telling me 3 of 4 packages containing my new pc have been delivered, but the 4th has a delivery date of Tuesday next week :negative:

I had a vendor only tell me after 4 days, an email and a phone call that my motherboard was out of stock. I asked them to cancel it, and they said they would ship the CPU and SSD that I had ordered from them the next day. When I called today they told me the CPU was out of stock too, and they hadn't cancelled the motherboard... I was kinda frustrated at that point!

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I can't believe it's that hard to design a PGA socket with better retention than that.

All ZIF PGA sockets had that 'issue' since forever though. From Intel or AMD. So maybe not.

I don't get why people don't just twist the HSF a bit and slide it off to the side when they're removing it to break the thermal paste suction. And you usually have to give a pretty good yank to rip the CPU out of the socket.

I mean its terrible to hear people are having issues but if I go bending up the pins on a LGA socket no one talks about it being a design issue for a reason.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Does anyone have a 3000 series CPU/setup and something like a SATA MX500 or 840 Pro, and can do a basic check of the performance you get from AS-SSD or CrystalDiskMark?

I'm guessing I probably shouldn't care about current driver immaturity/optimization or whatever since this is mostly a gaming/media PC for now, but I seem to be getting slower performance from my SSDs (SATA) (similar or slightly slower sequential and single-thread random, but around half of the previous high queue depth/multi-thread random speeds) on a 3600/X570 setup compared to my previous 2500K/P67, and don't know if there's something wrong with the new hardware or the chipset drivers, or if the numbers on the older hardware are somehow inflated or what. For both higher queue/thread random speeds (like QD8T8, QD1T64), the 840 Pro currently gets ~230 MB/s read and 196 MB/s write on the Ryzen setup, and those seem to be hard caps regardless of the queue depth or number of threads set above 4 or so. The 2500K gets around 380 MB/s and 350 MB/s for the same tests. The MX500 in the same systems performs pretty similarly to the 840.

I got a 3600/X570-A Pro on the weekend, and didn't finish setting it up until Tuesday night. I don't know if it's a Windows update, one of the AMD drivers it downloads, or the Nvidia driver it downloads, but it kept going immediately to a blank screen/no signal after logging in. I finally got my system to boot properly after "resetting" Windows and manually installing the updated chipset and Nvidia drivers before letting Windows do any updates. Checked performance in various benchmarks, etc., and it all looked good. But, I noticed some file transfers afterwards seemed like they might be slower than I'd expect. That's when I checked AS-SSD and CrystalDiskMark for my three SSDs and saw some differences. I've checked the drives on the old setup already, so right now it seems like some kind of limit on the Zen 2/X570 setup. Whether it's hardware or software or somehow artificially inflated numbers on the 2500K, I don't know.

Again, I'm not sure if I should even really care about those higher queue depth/thread speeds since I don't think those matter for my use case. It would just be good to know that there isn't something inherently wrong with my nice new upgrade.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

NTRabbit posted:

3/4 of my components are due on Tuesday and the ram is back-ordered until mid-august :o: but I guess it's nice to see these bios updates and overclocking testing being refined in the meantime.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Post times seem really slow on my B450 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon. Takes about 10/15 seconds to get to the BIOS splash, after that windows boots in about 10 seconds which is what I'd expect. Guessing it's the flaky BIOS - has anyone else noticed slow boot times?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
My Asrock X570 Taichi has slow boot times as well. I'm guessing it's probably something to do with the relative immaturity of the AGESA for Ryzen 3000. It wakes from sleep pretty quickly though so I just never shut my computer down.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Chas McGill posted:

Post times seem really slow on my B450 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon. Takes about 10/15 seconds to get to the BIOS splash, after that windows boots in about 10 seconds which is what I'd expect. Guessing it's the flaky BIOS - has anyone else noticed slow boot times?

Yes I have the same thing with the beta bios, exact same board - B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. Takes 10-15 seconds to just see the splash screen. Not a big deal but annoying, I'm back to using S3 Sleep instead of cold boots every day. On the other hand they were forced to dial down their lovely graphical bios config to something more reasonable which is totally fine by me.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I have a MSI b350m Mortar that also got the low-fi BIOS treatment. I like it more, except they did away with the save slot system, which made it easy to restore to known good RAM values. Upside is that whatever new AGESA it has, my R1600 is at 3.7ghz at 1.28v and b-die is at 3333mhz at CL14 (both stable), which is better than I got with the older BIOSes.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Chas McGill posted:

Very slow on MSI x570-A pro.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 19, 2019

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I thought that the sweet spot for Zen2 Infinity Fabric was 3733 RAM, but it seems like folks are treating it like it's 3600.

Am I misremembering, or is it just the case that there's a lot more RAM rated for 3600 than 3733 on the market and it's not like it's going to make a particularly big difference anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMD gave two sweet spots - 3733 for absolute performance (because the IF switches to half-rate beyond that) and 3600 for price/performance tradeoff.