Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Started playing this yesterday and it's really good! If I have a poorish starting location and I want to start another outpost elsewhere on the map. How do I do that? Do I just have to conga drone hubs or just fire a new rocket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You'll need a drone controller and a supply chain. You can conga line to get both, but that's expensive early on and may not play nice with terrain.

You can call in a new rocket full of drones and a controller template and/or send a robot controller rover for the controller, and then call a rocket full of startup supplies and go self sufficient and/or set up a delivery rover/delivery shuttle to ferry supplies. Or build a tunnel.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 12, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Flipswitch posted:

Started playing this yesterday and it's really good! If I have a poorish starting location and I want to start another outpost elsewhere on the map. How do I do that? Do I just have to conga drone hubs or just fire a new rocket?

honestly, just restart the map and scan your preferred area with probes so you can plant your colony there in the first place. you can conga line multiple drone hubs but it sucks and takes absolutely forever

if you want to keep your current setup, then it depends on how far away the outpost area is. like if it's close enough to where you can just put down another drone hub which overlaps with your current hub then do that. if it's on the other side of the map, completely forget about it until you get shuttles. you can do long distance resource swapping with transport rovers but it requires active micro. or you can build a tunnel which is sort of a warp pipe to get you across the map but that's a bit expensive - but less expensive than building a chain of drone hubs. you'll need to land a rocket at the other end of the tunnel mouth though

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Aethernet posted:

I would be quite happy with a game that enabled me to accidentally convert a colony into Io.

I want Surviving Io or Surviving Triton

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

luxury handset posted:

honestly, just restart the map and scan your preferred area with probes so you can plant your colony there in the first place. you can conga line multiple drone hubs but it sucks and takes absolutely forever

if you want to keep your current setup, then it depends on how far away the outpost area is. like if it's close enough to where you can just put down another drone hub which overlaps with your current hub then do that. if it's on the other side of the map, completely forget about it until you get shuttles. you can do long distance resource swapping with transport rovers but it requires active micro. or you can build a tunnel which is sort of a warp pipe to get you across the map but that's a bit expensive - but less expensive than building a chain of drone hubs. you'll need to land a rocket at the other end of the tunnel mouth though

One of the reasons why starting with Rocket Scientists who come with shuttles makes life so much easier.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mayveena posted:

One of the reasons why starting with Rocket Scientists who come with shuttles makes life so much easier.

Rocket Scientist and/or Inventor are a really good safety net. Though lately I am getting into Ecologist for their ability to making everything REALLY comfortable

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My last game was inventor with terraforming initiative, which lets you cover the whole map in drone controls and seeders as quickly as you can produce the mats. In a different game I got the ancient terraforming device breakthrough, which gives you instant 20% in every terraforming parameter, plus the lakes cost no water breakthrough, which just let me plop lakes everywhere, that was some fast terraforming.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Still waiting for them to let forestry plants contribute to terraformin after 40%, though. A really weird choice.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Aethernet posted:

Still waiting for them to let forestry plants contribute to terraformin after 40%, though. A really weird choice.

Thankfully there's a mod for that one. And yeah it's loving weird.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I would be perfectly fine with your forestry stations having diminishing returns if vegetation started spreading on it's own once it reached certain thresholds, I mean out of the four terraforming values, vegetation would be the one that would grow on its own.

Like that's what I thought the "wild vegetation boom" events meant in the terraforming progress list, but instead it just hits you with a few random green patches.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Mayveena posted:

Yeah starting with shuttles has really helped me out.

Is there a decent write up on all the sponsors etc?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah starting with shuttles has really helped me out.

Is there a decent write up on all the sponsors etc?

This guide has a pretty good section on them. (Search for "2) Sponsor / Commander Notes and Advice")

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Rocket Scientist also has the hidden advantage of letting you cancel out the rocket landing malfunction dilemma that otherwise requires you to lose your cargo or (probably) lose your rocket and cargo too if you chance it. I've restarted a few times because of getting that dilemma on my first resupply.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

that dilemma is bullshit

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, Inventor similarly lets you resolve certain problems with some events.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
My favorite combo is India and Ecologist. Being able to put up medium domes with hanging gardens from the start is a great early boost. The building cost reduction is just the cherry on top.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hanging Gardens are great to start with because they fulfill a lot of recreational needs and don't require staff. As a Spire building you can cram it into even your smallstarting domes and that leaves you more room for other buildings.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I love the free camera for screenshots, it's super fun.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
What blows my mind isn't the granular details, but rather you can go from bird's eye view to zooming in on people talking over drinks with perfect buttery smoothness. How on earth they got this engine running so well past the 5000 colonists mark, I have no idea...

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That feeling of opening the Domes for the first time!

I also only just realised about 20hrs in I can change the radio station and god drat the soundtrack is good.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Flipswitch posted:

I also only just realised about 20hrs in I can change the radio station and god drat the soundtrack is good.
One of the best parts of the game in my opinion, I feel like it is rare these days to play a game where I actually want to listen to the music outside of the game. Quantum Sonics my jams.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just started playing. I accepted one of the planetary missions that requires an rc commander to be loaded into a rocket.

It is possible that I am retarded or something, but I can't figure out how to do that. I am china, and have the RC generators replacement.

I can put the RC generator right next to the rocket, but it still says it is waiting for a payload.

What am I doing wrong? Can I just not do the mission if I am china?

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 18, 2019

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
You'll have to buy an RC Commander, which you can still do despite China having a replacement.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, that seems to be the case. Think I am just due for a restart. I think I found a pretty good set of coordinates, after searching though a bunch.

10N177E

4 bars in all resources. 2 bars in meteors, and 1 bar in the other disasters.

Edit: 6N176E is great too.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 22, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
And for info, on those missions you don’t have to move the vehicles or drones to the rocket, they'll load on their own.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

And for info, on those missions you don’t have to move the vehicles or drones to the rocket, they'll load on their own.

They do have to be idle, though.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm a fan of the City Mayor colony leader because of the lower maintenance costs of all buildings, the free tech that decreases concrete/metal costs by 20% is pretty nice too.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Surviving Mars on steam is on sale. What's the cheapest way to get all the content? I'm confused in what's included in digital deluxe edition, and first colony edition.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Heffer posted:

Surviving Mars on steam is on sale. What's the cheapest way to get all the content? I'm confused in what's included in digital deluxe edition, and first colony edition.
First Colony gets you everything but the Stellaris domes

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I'm a fan of the City Mayor colony leader because of the lower maintenance costs of all buildings, the free tech that decreases concrete/metal costs by 20% is pretty nice too.

It pairs extremely well with India, giving a 40% reduction in build costs from the outset.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

One of the best parts of the game in my opinion, I feel like it is rare these days to play a game where I actually want to listen to the music outside of the game. Quantum Sonics my jams.

Yeah, the music is excellent, but the radio hosts' lines are terribly written. Just awful. It's embarrassing that they gave them to a real live person to read out loud.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Guildencrantz posted:

Yeah, the music is excellent, but the radio hosts' lines are terribly written. Just awful. It's embarrassing that they gave them to a real live person to read out loud.

I dunno, they all felt fairly natural to me. Haemimont could've added more variety though as it does get a bit repetitive after the 5th consecutive hour hearing the same lines again and again. Being able to shuffle between the stations would also be very nice since I usually forget about it and end up listening to just one during a session, it'd really break up the monotony of each station only having like eight lines for the host.

I would buy the gently caress out of a "Greatest hits from Tropico" DLC though! The soundtracks from Haemimont's entries to the series were loving excellent. They could add some tropical-themed parks and maybe a few skins for some buildings (plantation skin for the farm :getin:) and I could finally build my ultimate banana republic on Mars. I think I'm gonna have to finally get the Watney Challenge achievement with El Presidente.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGLomkqW5rg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFC7ouHpQ2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuJq9VLOe2g

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Guildencrantz posted:

I just listen to the musical score, which owns bones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E9NIsCQeu4

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Guildencrantz posted:

I think it's more repetition (though Kim Taihe's lines are generally pretty good, Red Frontier is the best "talky" channel)

I just wish there was a "randomize all" button.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

SM's music isn't awful, but I'll never understand why people listen to videogame music. To me even the best of it gets repetitive real fast and is never as good as music by any actual band or artist that I like. Then again I wouldn't listen to the same band for hours on end as I play a videogame either so maybe I just have a short musical attention span.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Wafflecopper posted:

SM's music isn't awful, but I'll never understand why people listen to videogame music. To me even the best of it gets repetitive real fast and is never as good as music by any actual band or artist that I like. Then again I wouldn't listen to the same band for hours on end as I play a videogame either so maybe I just have a short musical attention span.

I tend to put on SM's soundtrack when I'm painting or otherwise working on something, it's just nice chill, kinda uplifting music to have in the background.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Couldn't you play some Sigur Ros or some other ambient chill indie for the same effect but better though

e: Like if SM's music works for you then cool, but to me music someone made for a videogame never has the same heart as something a good band puts out for the sake of putting out music. I know they're still doing it to make a living but it still feels more real to me idk

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 19, 2019

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
There’s some amazing video game soundtracks out there, often made by top tier composers, you’re really missing out if you just dismiss them because it was "made for video game".

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
(SimCity 3000)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Everything made for Payday 2 was great. FTL also had an incredibly solid soundtrack.