Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. I'm thinking I can send them the article on how to stop Google Maps from recording your movements and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Joink posted:

Going to the states(Seattle) for a week. Virgin wants to charge me $8 a day for some US roaming package. Total rip anyway what are my other options? Main use is texting between my family and data for Google maps and paying the Uber drivers.

I use Roam Mobility when going to the USA. It’s pretty affordable.

http://roammobility.com/

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

experienceBeej posted:

I use Roam Mobility when going to the USA. It’s pretty affordable.

http://roammobility.com/

Excellent, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Joink posted:

Excellent, this is exactly what I was looking for!

This looks like junk... 500MB of data per day then 50Kb/s speeds...

Bell / Telus have Roam like home for $5 a day. I would use that.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
Just a heads up I used Roam 5 or 6 times over the course of a few years and at least two different (Android) devices and was never able to get tethering to work. It's clearly blocked at the ISP level and their customer support wasn't able to help beyond just repeating the same info from their FAQ over and over.

If you're not tethering though it works fairly well and yeah as mentioned above now that roam like home is standard it's not nearly as good of a deal as it used to be.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nitr0 posted:

This looks like junk... 500MB of data per day then 50Kb/s speeds...

Bell / Telus have Roam like home for $5 a day. I would use that.

It's $8 a day and uses your plan's data on the Canadian carriers, or you can pay $5 for 500mb per day with Roam, what are you smoking to claim that it's a better deal to use our carriers.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

The word you're looking for is "STOP" which should be effective for any compliant SMS campaign.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Jesus, what is up with koodo? They really poo poo over their plan options. I'm glad I got the 8gb for 65 while I could. Meanwhile you are all on PM getting 15 gigs LTE for 40 cents a month or some poo poo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

codo27 posted:

Jesus, what is up with koodo? They really poo poo over their plan options. I'm glad I got the 8gb for 65 while I could. Meanwhile you are all on PM getting 15 gigs LTE for 40 cents a month or some poo poo.

Only if you kept the plan. It's now a 3g poo poo hole if you haven't.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 3, 2019

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hard to get angry about not having plans you can't hope to get.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Peak data was a couple years ago so with the data mines running dry it makes sense that plans get worse and more expensive.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
BellMTS/Bell actually undercut Rogers by 10 dollars on their "unlimited" plans which I think is the first that multiple providers in Canada have done the same thing with all being priced the same

Edit: lol never mind, I changed from ON to MB on the Rogers site and they have better pricing in Manitoba

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Does anyone have experience with Cell Phone Boosters? Like the ones you attach somewhere up high and run a box down to the inside of your house/cabin?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yes. What do you want to know? You can find your carriers frequency online, get a booster that matches that. As long as you have some signal close, like if you can get signal laying your phone on a windowsil, you should be good. I have a $90 thing from amazon though last time I looked the prices had gone up

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The situation is that at the in-laws cottage your phone most of the time will show 4-5 bars of 3G but you won't be able to use data(even messaging), send text or make phone calls. It seems to get better during the week when there's less people out there and is at it's worst on the weekends when everyone is out. Would a outside signal booster do anything or is the cell equipment just so poo poo that MTS is using so lovely that it wouldn't matter?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

codo27 posted:

I have a $90 thing from amazon though last time I looked the prices had gone up

At a glance, they really have. I was seeing $180-800 price ranges.

I looked as I'm thinking of moving to Freedom mobile or something cheaper than Rogers and wondered if I could use it to boost signal in my condo.

DariusLikewise posted:

The situation is that at the in-laws cottage your phone most of the time will show 4-5 bars of 3G but you won't be able to use data(even messaging), send text or make phone calls. It seems to get better during the week when there's less people out there and is at it's worst on the weekends when everyone is out. Would a outside signal booster do anything or is the cell equipment just so poo poo that MTS is using so lovely that it wouldn't matter?

Yikes. No WiFi option to make up for that? Also, in the latter scenario, is there anywhere on the property that gets the data signal you desire? You'd need such a location to boost the signal from as codo27

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
When I was in rural Bancroft Ontario with two phones, different networks, I had the same issue you are describing. I think its just poor latency on the network.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Heners_UK posted:

At a glance, they really have. I was seeing $180-800 price ranges.

I looked as I'm thinking of moving to Freedom mobile or something cheaper than Rogers and wondered if I could use it to boost signal in my condo.

Yikes. No WiFi option to make up for that? Also, in the latter scenario, is there anywhere on the property that gets the data signal you desire? You'd need such a location to boost the signal from as codo27

I was thinking about getting Xplornet setup in a few years maybe if it doesn't get better, the only option is satellite internet. Either that or get a landline, but the satellite internet is cheaper actually. You can walk up the hill that leads down to the cottage and the signal is a little better, but it's still doesn't really do much if there's a lot of people out for the weekend. I'm just worried my wife's parents are going to hurt themselves and have no way of contacting anyone because they can't complete a phone call.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
A proper booster is going to be in the $400 range. You’re going to have to mount an external yagi on the roof, and then run cable back down inside the house to the location where they’d use the phone the most.

If you can get 3-4 bars of 3G I’m surprised you can’t make phone calls or anything. Maybe try calling your provider. If it is a capacity issue they should be able to tell you.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 6, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Trust me, you dont need to go into the $400 range.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Id disagree. We’ve seen lots of customers use this with good results.

https://www.clearwest.ca/specialty/m930405/surecall-fusion4home-3-0-max-in-building-signal-booster-kit/

I’ve seen people cheap out on $200 boosters that only work when you stand right beside it, this will actually cover a large area.

Up to you, spend more up front and get better results has always been what I’ve seen.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

But I get signal in the majority of my house with the one I paid $89 for. I even sold them through my business for a while.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Can you link to it?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

When I bring up my order history, clicking on that one brings me to something else that isn't quite the same. This is where it brings me, though mine just has an antenna that connects to the repeater inside (black box) rather than another cable and that square thing. Its also twice as much now.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Only two bands, no LTE, poor indoor antenna, questionable English on the amazon page. Buy at your own risk.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Do any of the Canadian providers support femtocells? Because that just seems easier than a booster to me, but I don't have any experience with this stuff

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Negatory. No canadian carrier supports femtocells and trying to set one up will cause them to come down on you.

Almost all carriers now support wifi calling, but I assume if they could get high speed internet this wouldn't be a problem.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I just got a targeted offer from Koodo for an additional 4gb for $10 per month or 10gb for $14 per month.

So I am now paying $54 for 16 gigs.

Until we go full unlimited I don't see it getting much better than that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh gently caress off. I've been a customer for 6 years and referred I dunno how many people, and they get those offers but I dont. $65 for 8 isn't the worst but its not what I want.

mewse
May 2, 2006

codo27 posted:

Oh gently caress off. I've been a customer for 6 years and referred I dunno how many people, and they get those offers but I dont. $65 for 8 isn't the worst but its not what I want.

Maybe you opted out of promos? Or it's a region thing. They texted me in MB:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I'm going to assume you're not self aware about the advantages of telecom in Manitoba but no, this is not something any of us outside your mosquito den should see texted as an offer.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

I'm going to assume you're not self aware about the advantages of telecom in Manitoba but no, this is not something any of us outside your mosquito den should see texted as an offer.

Don't be rude. If someone doesn't live in Manitoba or has never been there (which is pretty common) they might not be aware of the telecom differences there.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

There is no extra competitor in Manitoba anymore and our rates have steadily climbed in the last 2 years to match the rest of the country

mewse
May 2, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

mewse posted:

Maybe you opted out of promos? Or it's a region thing.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

loving canadians if you weren't so far up your own asses you'd realize i'm making GBS threads on our own telecom options outside the province which, yes, still enjoys regional advantages

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

loving canadians if you weren't so far up your own asses you'd realize i'm making GBS threads on our own telecom options outside the province which, yes, still enjoys regional advantages

Please post better, or don't post.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

codo27 posted:

I just got the text offer a couple minutes ago so not everyone is getting them at the same time.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
The koodo offers seem to be based on usage or something. Or maybe they are just random. My wife and I switched at the same time to the 6gig plan a few years ago. I used a bit more data than her and she got an offer for +6 gigs and at the same time they offered me +4. I called and they claimed to have no control over who gets what offer and they aren't transferable

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I certainly got the 4GB for $10 or 10GB for $14 offer in BC at the tail end of a 1GB usage month (though I usually use 2-3). 6GB/$40 plan.

All about boosting that ARPU!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mom and fiancee get that poo poo and they dont use gently caress all. I keep adding data on as deals arise and I keep using it. I went from 2gb start of last year or something like "nobody needs more than this", switched to 8 last month and I just got my 50% warning. I dont think I've gotten a single text offer. I'm black listed or some poo poo.