Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Twerk from Home posted:

Ford is about to offer a manual transmission on 100% of its car models, as well as having all of its cars be RWD-only.
Is ford going to only sell the mustang or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

gvibes posted:

Is ford going to only sell the mustang or something?

Correct.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Forbes had an article today where they talked to current Corvette owners about the mid-engines C8. The biggest complaints were “my golf clubs won’t fit in it” and “ugh, they made it European”.

edit - The gear selector looks like the one in the new Acuras and he infotainment controller looks like the one in new Mercedes.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 19, 2019

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
No funny business while driving the corvette now I guess

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Suck it Boomers!

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I wonder if they'll do crazy high trade-in money on Corvettes like they did with the c7 launch. I might need a new pair of shoes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Shitfest the Clown posted:

Seems pretty fast
No way they get 0-60 in less than 3 seconds (2.x) with 500 horsepower and no electric assist.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Forbes had an article today where they talked to current Corvette owners about the mid-engines C8. The biggest complaints were “my golf clubs won’t fit in it” and “ugh, they made it European”.

edit - The gear selector looks like the one in the new Acuras and he infotainment controller looks like the one in new Mercedes.
My dad has 2 buddies with Corvettes. Both of which he really only rides in with them on golf trips. If it can't fit 2 bags of clubs neither has any interest in the thing.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 19, 2019

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
You guys watching the reveal stream?

https://media.chevrolet.com/nextgencorvette

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Watching now.

Lets get on with it and cut the jibber jabber please

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Welp, it's shiny. It's definitely different but I like it. I like the C5 and C7 exteriors more, but what's most important is they keep getting faster and faster so this is just the newest fastest Corvette. I already did the whole young man with a Corvette thing for fourteen years and that's done, but once this two month old baby on my lap is off to college maybe I can pick up a used C8 and be one of the stereotypical grey haired Corvette owners who has trouble getting in and out of it.

Edit: vv try as they might, GM will never catch up to the Mustang in that metric.

davebo fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 19, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Countdown to the first one spinning out into traffic at a cars n coffee :v:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Okay I think it's just a Ferrari

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Looking at the pics, it appears to have a little trunk right behind the engine that fits a golf bag(s). Crisis averted.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Lol this guy has to explain why a mid engined layout is better.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can't fit 2 sets of golf bats in the trunk and still put the roof in it

what a piece of poo poo

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Oh thank god I can finally bring both of my golf bags with me

edit: GPS-connected front lift system..?

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 19, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

lmfao cheers for the front lift system so it can get over speed bumps

500hp: crickets
2 sets of golf bats: WHOOOOO
track focused performance: crickets
front lift for speed bumps: WOAHHHHHHHMYGOD

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Under 60k woah.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

Under 60k woah.

That is insane. I'm going to be a Corvette owner.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Holy poo poo less than $60k though. That's actually way lower than I was expecting.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah sub $60K for this car is pretty crazy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ilkhan posted:

My dad has 2 buddies with Corvettes. Both of which he really only rides in with them on golf trips. If it can't fit 2 bags of clubs neither has any interest in the thing.

Yeah, but your dad's friends are all going to die soon and it's not like anyone who isn't a geriatric is lining up to buy the old Corvettes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't wait until shitbag dealers slap $150k price tags on these and they sell 300 a year and then "whelp, nobody wants sports cars"

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Fs:my Magnuson and all the other support mods so I can trade in mine.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

That thing has double the greenhouse area than a Camaro

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The exterior does not look great in person. The brief glimpse of the C8.R looked much better. It’s weird to me that there’s no rear diffuser. GM says it didn’t need one.

Engine bay looks like a cross between a Huracan and a Ford GT. The detailing looks pretty good.

Interior looks better in person. I don’t understand why it has to have a transmission tunnel, although I guess the answer is a combo of stiffness and a future hybrid version? Maybe they can stick some batteries in there.

I’m sure it will be amazing to drive, and the performance:price may be hard to beat.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

drgitlin posted:

It’s weird to me that there’s no rear diffuser. GM says it didn’t need one.
I presume that's to maintain aero-balance. A lot of rear aero grip with limited front aero grip (to keep the fuel economy up) would cause the car to understeer at high speeds.

drgitlin posted:

I don’t understand why it has to have a transmission tunnel, although I guess the answer is a combo of stiffness and a future hybrid version? Maybe they can stick some batteries in there.
That's probably so they can keep the side rails low by handing off more of the rigidity to the center tunnel. GM does know their buyer demographics, and with their bad knees, they won't like having to climb over tall door sills.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Devils Affricate posted:

Holy poo poo less than $60k though. That's actually way lower than I was expecting.

That's loving nuts and they're going to sell a ton of them. I was expecting like $80k at least.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

60k is insane. Everyone thought it would sell for NSX money.
At that price it's gotta be a piece of poo poo in more ways than one?

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

fknlo posted:

That's loving nuts and they're going to sell a ton of them. I was expecting like $80k at least.

smooth jazz posted:

60k is insane. Everyone thought it would sell for NSX money.
Honestly, I expect GM to sell the first model year for the same ballpark price as the C7 to hush the "mid-engine will make the Corvette too expensive" critics, then progressively (but quietly) raise the price over the next few model years until the price is more in-line with their production costs.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Nomenclature posted:

Honestly, I expect GM to sell the first model year for the same ballpark price as the C7 to hush the "mid-engine will make the Corvette too expensive" critics, then progressively (but quietly) raise the price over the next few model years until the price is more in-line with their production costs.

Ah yes, the Nissan GT-R price creep.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

smooth jazz posted:

Everyone thought it would sell for NSX money.

This seems crazy to me. All the articles I saw were predicting it would be at least under 70k. Why would GM build a Corvette they couldn't sell? They said a while back there would be three trims like previous generations so there's certainly room have a $150k ZR1, but the base model still needs to be reasonably priced.

davebo fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 19, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

davebo posted:

This seems crazy to me. All the articles I saw were predicting it would be at least under 70k. Why would GM build a Corvette they couldn't sell? They said a while back there would be three trims like previous generations so there's certainly room have a $150k ZR1, but the base model still needs to be reasonably priced.

Yeah, but if you make the $60k version do 0-60 in under 3, where do you even go from there?

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

KillHour posted:

Yeah, but if you make the $60k version do 0-60 in under 3, where do you even go from there?
Well, considering the CAD leaks showing a twin-turbo engine, and the other leaks about a 5.5L DOHC engine, and the rumor of structural distortion of the aluminum spaceframe being sufficient to crack the engine cover glass during testing, I think we have a pretty good idea of where they are going next.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nomenclature posted:

Well, considering the CAD leaks showing a twin-turbo engine, and the other leaks about a 5.5L DOHC engine, and the rumor of structural distortion of the aluminum spaceframe being sufficient to crack the engine cover glass during testing, I think we have a pretty good idea of where they are going next.

Hopefully, it involves replacement of that aluminum spaceframe with carbon fiber....

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nomenclature posted:

If they make a road going 5.5, it'll probably a low volume homologation special for WEC.

LM GTE has a 5.5 liter limit for n/a engines.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Powershift posted:

If they make a road going 5.5, it'll probably a low volume homologation special for WEC.

LM GTE has a 5.5 liter limit for n/a engines.
Does the WEC need engines homologated to their exact displacement?

I know that the ACO/IMSA used to have a balance formula where engines would start out with the same size intake restrictors (keeping the peak power the same among all engines), but larger displacements would incur a weight penalty based on their displacement. That was when GM went from a 6.0L small-block for the C6R in 2009 to a 5.5L small-block in 2010 to hit the torque/weight penalty sweet-spot.

GM currently uses a 5.5L semi-stressed pushrod engine in their IMSA DPi Cadillacs (essentially a modified Dallara LMP2 chassis). But again, that still isn't a DOHC engine.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

If the base model is track-ready (read: it won't overheat or lose all braking after three typical road course laps), and it's livable enough for a moderate commute, then this thing will be a fantastic success. I would think about saving up to buy one.

Do we know how much it weighs?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nomenclature posted:

Does the WEC need engines homologated to their exact displacement?

I know that the ACO/IMSA used to have a balance formula where engines would start out with the same size intake restrictors (keeping the peak power the same among all engines), but larger displacements would incur a weight penalty based on their displacement. That was when GM went from a 6.0L small-block for the C6R in 2009 to a 5.5L small-block in 2010 to hit the torque/weight penalty sweet-spot.

GM currently uses a 5.5L semi-stressed pushrod engine in their IMSA DPi Cadillacs (essentially a modified Dallara LMP2 chassis). But again, that still isn't a DOHC engine.

Yeah, the engine has to be used in a road car, the C7R uses a 5.5l based on the LT5, but an n/a 5.5 liter screams homologation special.

FBS posted:

If the base model is track-ready (read: it won't overheat or lose all braking after three typical road course laps), and it's livable enough for a moderate commute, then this thing will be a fantastic success. I would think about saving up to buy one.

Do we know how much it weighs?

3366lb dry, ~3600lb curb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Powershift posted:

Yeah, the engine has to be used in a road car, the C7R uses a 5.5l based on the LT5, but an n/a 5.5 liter screams homologation special.
The cost to develop a whole new engine architecture (a DOHC V8) seems way too prohibitive for it just to be a homologation special.

Powershift posted:

3366lb dry, ~3600lb curb
GM currently rates the C7 base at 3298 lbs dry. Add in a DCT and an axle-lifter system, and you've got that 68 lb difference accounted for right away.