Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
E stands for Extremely not a thinkpad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Adding this to the OP

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Yeah, for sure going upgrade the SSD and RAM on my own. Thank you for the warning on the cheaper series, I will stick to X/T. Back to endlessly configuring T4XXx models because I'm bad at making decisions.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

sleppy posted:

Yeah, for sure going upgrade the SSD and RAM on my own. Thank you for the warning on the cheaper series, I will stick to X/T. Back to endlessly configuring T4XXx models because I'm bad at making decisions.

As you do, make sure you're using the B&N link from the OP, and also trolling their Outlet. Both will save you considerable sums.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The ThinkPad formerly known as Edge.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Right now i have a xps 13 and helios 300. my work laptop is basically a latitude thats specced the same as my xps 13. carrying a latitude and helios 300 sucks and carrying a latitude and an xps 13 makes me feel like an idiot that works for dell ( i am an idiot that works for a different company). I am strongly considering selling off my 9360 and helios 300 and consolidating into one machine. i guess i lose USB-C PD, which blows, but i didnt have it on the helios either so eh.

i've been looking at the ways i use and dont use my computers lately and having something thats in between the '13 and the '300 would be ideal and so i keep coming back to xps 15. i looked up performance comparisons between the 1050ti and the 1650 and it seems like a no brainer to wait on the 1650 for me. use case is "plays games at x1080 on settings that dont give me a pixel related headache" plus general computing.

would an xps 15 charge off my dell tb3 dock?

how much will i detest xps 15 in bed/couch compared to xps 13? weight i dont care much about, i spend ~20 hours a week in a gym and am more worried about the straps of whatever bag i would use breaking than myself.

any other things i should know about? or maybe a different model i should look at? i have not paid much attention to the new xps 15, other than recalling somebody ITT saying that they redesigned it but the thermals still suck etc. im cool with undervolting the thing and playing around w whatever i need to.

Worf fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 18, 2019

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

Statutory Ape posted:

how much will i detest xps 15 in bed/couch compared to xps 13? weight i dont care much about, i spend ~20 hours a week in a gym and am more worried about the straps of whatever bag i would use breaking than myself.

Egads, are you training to be a cage fighter or something?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

Right now i have a xps 13 and helios 300...

You haven't heard much about the new XPS 15 because there honestly isn't a whole lot to say, and reviewers have been apparently all but ignoring it for whatever reason. The big change is the 1650 GPU, which should indeed be pretty decent for 1080p@60Hz gaming (~30% faster than the 1050Ti). The screen is also apparently notably better, now sporting a 500 nit screen even in the "base" model. And they moved the web cam back up to the top of the screen, rather than the nose-cam of the last model, if you care about that sort of thing. Thermals look like they might be better only because they slapped a small heatpipe/extender onto the VRMs this time around, but it's yet to be seen how much that'll improve things.

Basically, if you liked the idea of the old XPS 15, the new one is basically the same, just a little better.

That said, the format difference between a 13" and 15" is substantial. It's slightly smaller than the Helios 300, but not by a whole lot, so if you find the Helios too large and bulky for bed, the XPS 15 isn't gonna be much better. It is about a pound lighter than the Helios, which should be noticeable when carrying it around all day, even with your Man Hulk strength.

AFAIK, there aren't any 14" laptops with a 1650 (or even a 1050Ti) that would let you better split the difference between a 13" and 15". Closest I think you'd get would be something like a T490 w/MX250, which is a huge step down in GPU.

Two other options for you to consider:

The Surface Book 2 is still 15", but a pretty thin/light form factor, with a beautiful high-res screen and a 1060 GPU. It's also convertible, which might make it better for your use cases.

ThinkPad X1 Extreme gen 2. Also has the 1650 GPU, and is pretty damned small and light for what it is, at 3.5lbs. Downside is you'll have to wait a bit on it, since the only models available right now are objectively terrible deals.

e; while it's yet to be seen exactly how much wattage it'll support, the XPS 15 should still do USB-C PD charging, and the X1E certainly will/does.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Awesome doc , thanks for the write up and the tip on the Lenovo at 3.5 lb.

My issue with the Helios isn't outright bulk per se, it's the bezels and bulk, the dead rear end space. I'll bulk out on a laptop but God drat bezels.

Hugely good to know I dont lose USB PD on an xps 15.

Helios screen is also a 6/10 panel probably. Good for a 1k laptop with a 1060 2 years ago. Idk if my eyesight is measurably worse but my patience for poo poo screens is after owning good ones since then.

Thanks again

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I thought it was the E series, but it was the L series that was on Slickdeals before for like half the price of what the same config in a T480 would cost.

Someone posted this:
Wi-Fi Card: Like all the 2018 Ultrabooks and most budget Laptops, this model uses Intel 8265 (2x2) Dual Band WiFi and that is pretty decent and tested thousand of times. So, please clarify how it sucks.
SSD:Obviously, at this price, you are not going to get a Samsung PM980 SSD. This model mainly uses a Toshiba KXG5AZNV256G NVMe SSD which has around 1500 MBps Read and 600 Mbps write and that is perfectly okay for daily usage and pretty fast for most of the tasks.
Chassis Quality: Yes, this is not as thin and light and may not be as durable when compared to the higher end Thinkpads but way better than any Consumer ultra books at this price. This is still MIL-SPEC certified and tested for withstanding extreme temperatures, high altitudes, solar radiation, fungus, humidity, mechanical shock, high vibration and sand damage. Let me know which Ultrabook at this price, have these durability.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Only buy T or X. Maybe P if you need workstation.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

The Spectre OLED I ordered off HP's website took over two weeks to "process" and is shipping direct from Shanghai. Is that normal?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
You're one of the only people in this thread to have actually bought a HP, let alone a custom Spectre, so who knows? That sort of delay is not uncommon for custom Dell/Lenovo orders, though, and basically everything custom ships from China or Taiwan. The only stuff that ships from US warehouses are the common models.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Statutory Ape posted:

The XPS 15 sucks pretty hard around the house. Just imagine any time you would sit or lay down with the XPS 13, and now picture its two of them stacked on top of each other. It's not going to give you a hernia or anything, it's just not cool. There's also thermal problems and build quality issues that don't show up in the 13" lineup that make me hesitate to drag it around the house.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 18, 2019

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
While the last gen XPS 15 did have thermal throttling issues, that was while under load or gaming, not just dicking around on Netflix or whatever. Unsure what build issues you're referring to, either. The lid has a little more flex to it, due to it being larger, but it's not like it was going to fall apart or anything.

I agree that there's a notable difference in lap usability between a 13" and 15", though. Too bad there aren't many 14" options these days, and virtually none with a dGPU worth mentioning.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

DrDork posted:

While the last gen XPS 15 did have thermal throttling issues, that was while under load or gaming, not just dicking around on Netflix or whatever. Unsure what build issues you're referring to, either. The lid has a little more flex to it, due to it being larger, but it's not like it was going to fall apart or anything.

I agree that there's a notable difference in lap usability between a 13" and 15", though. Too bad there aren't many 14" options these days, and virtually none with a dGPU worth mentioning.

Not even referring to throttling, just that the fans are always turning on and off 24/7 even just idling. My build issues include backlight bleed, plastic coming off the hinge (the back of the laptop while the lid is closed), my trackpad rattles if it's not level on a desk, etc. Speakers are inaudible at full blast so I can't watch YouTube. It also does stupid poo poo like constantly fluctuates backlight brightness, even for external displays, so I avoid using it as a desktop replacement as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even though the cooling is better this year with the VRM heatpipe and latency is solved, there's still no S3 sleep and Dell still has a hard power limit that throttles it hard.

XPS15 its not a good buy right now. The new screen is to limp the chassis along for another year, it badly needs a redesign.

I would wait another month to see what the XPS 13 2:1 redesign shakes out to be. 10nm ice lake with actual useful integrated graphics in a completely redesigned chassis with updated thermals.

Even if it turns you off because of the soldered components, it should at least give a glimpse at what dell will be able to do with the 15" chassis in the future.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
The XPS 15 certainly isn't perfect, but what other 15" laptops are you comparing it to? Most others in that sector are either larger, heavier, built of poo poo paper, have crappy battery life by comparison, middling screens, sound like a hairdryer, or some combination thereof. Or they're Macs with the busted rear end keyboards.

I mean, I agree the power limit is a bit dumb, especially when running off AC power, and I cannot fathom why they don't at least give you the option to enable S3 sleep, but it's still one of the best all-rounder laptops out there.

The next iteration XPS 15 won't be out until summer 2020, so that's a long time to wait and hope.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If you have the cash I'd wait for the gen2 X1 Carbon Extreeeeeeeeme to release. There were a lot of stupid issues keeping the first one from being a slam dunk but if they get it right this time it'll be a real competitor.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If you have the cash I'd wait for the gen2 X1 Carbon Extreeeeeeeeme to release. There were a lot of stupid issues keeping the first one from being a slam dunk but if they get it right this time it'll be a real competitor.

It's out now. Sorta. Only two silly configs, neither of them worth the money. It'll be interesting to see how well they manage the thermals this time around, since they're going with a 1650 MaxQ, but still letting you pick silly stuff like a i7-9850H.

I've been real interested in how it turns out, too, but at this point the price premium makes it a non-starter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would just argue against getting a 15" altogether unless you are specifically buying a gaming rig, in which case you wouldn't be considering a 1650.

The only exception is can think of is if you were doing content creation and needed the GPU for that, in which case the XPS 15 is about the best you can get for that role with the X1 Extreme being another contender.

This is coming from someone that owns an XPS 15 (though, it's a 9550). I know the newer ones are a bit thinner and lighter, but the size and weight of the thing is still to the point where it's none too portable and 14" models like the T490 or X1 Carbon feel significantly better to tote around.

The XPS 15 occupies this weird space of low power DGPU while being just slightly lighter and smaller than more powerful and thermally better machines like the GX502. I would just ask yourself if you really really need that DGPU and if it would provide you enough performance to take in the compromises.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My laptop cooling pad has lost it's connectivity after three months; the outlet to the cooling pad is loose and wobbly, since it's been in-between my legs.

Does this happen often?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

bull3964 posted:

I would just argue against getting a 15" altogether unless you are specifically buying a gaming rig, in which case you wouldn't be considering a 1650.

The only exception is can think of is if you were doing content creation and needed the GPU for that, in which case the XPS 15 is about the best you can get for that role with the X1 Extreme being another contender.

It's not so much the GPU that's exciting about those machines for content creators, it's the 45w CPU. It's really another league entirely than the 15w ultrabook parts. It's a good-enough workstation that you can carry back and forth to work without hating it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The XPS 15 occupies this weird space of low power DGPU while being just slightly lighter and smaller than more powerful and thermally better machines like the GX502. I would just ask yourself if you really really need that DGPU and if it would provide you enough performance to take in the compromises.

While you're right about a smaller system being easier to tote around, the XPS 15 and X1E occupy a very intentional space: a laptop for someone who wants a do-everything professional laptop (both in terms of aesthetics and in terms of support, build quality, etc) and who also wants to be able to do some moderate gaming after they get off the conference call. For that, it actually does fantastically well, with both of them having legit all-day battery life and medium-settings capable gaming performance. There are also a bunch of content creation packages and dev systems that can leverage a dGPU to substantially speed things up compared to a CPU-only setup.

I mean, I find that 13" laptops are simply too small for me to use as primary machines for much outside of email, and while I'd love a good 14", they simply don't exist with a dGPU above the MX series, and would be even more thermally compromised if they did. You can make a solid argument that neither the XPS nor X1E are gaming laptops (they're not). If you want a gaming laptop, something like the GX502 is objectively better, but at a cost: battery life in actual use is often sub-5hrs, which doesn't matter much if you can always have it plugged in, but is a serious concern for many people.

Obviously you're better off with a 13" + gaming desktop if that fits your uses, but as a "I just want to have one laptop to do pretty much anything pretty well" they're both great picks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm honestly not convinced that the XPS15 gets all that outstanding battery life. I know my 9550 is pretty average (sub 4 hours with the 4k display) and there are numerous Reddit posts about the 7590 only getting about 6-9 hours with the larger battery option and FHD panel. It's ok, but nothing that would make you feel like you could leave the charger at home. 6 hours is obviously better than the 4 you might get from some of the more powerful 15" options, but I don't know if it's enough to affect use patterns.

I'm just mostly mad at Dell for making us wait another year for a significant refresh when the XPS15 weaknesses have been front and center for years.

I'm super excited to see what the XPS13 2:1 refresh brings us. If ice lake really does have better than Vega graphics, that plus the 16:10 screen makes it a pretty compelling little package and might provide enough of a GPU boost for most people.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I'd regularly get 10+ of actual use with my 9570 with a little undervolting :shrug:

If you have anything running that guys the dGPU it'll kill your battery life pretty fast, of course, and doing web browsing from somewhere with lovely connection runs up a surprisingly high power bill.

10nm + redesign should bring some real nifty results, but yeah, it's gonna be a while before we get to play with them.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I'm super excited to see what the XPS13 2:1 refresh brings us. If ice lake really does have better than Vega graphics, that plus the 16:10 screen makes it a pretty compelling little package and might provide enough of a GPU boost for most people.
Hell, I'd be happy with just a 9370 that has a screen that can open more than 135 degrees.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Anyone have experience with the Lenovo Legion Y545 for gaming? The website is offering a pretty decent discount with the secret code, and Costco has a build in warehouses with pretty decent specs for $1,100.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

So I have an Alienware Area-51M with an RTX 2080 for my home machine and just got a Razer Blade 15 with an RTX 2080 Max-Q. I pretty much only play Destiny 2 and I easily hit 140+fps on the Area-51M, but I am only seeing 70-80fps on the Razer Blade. After a steady 144fps, it's pretty jarring to go back to 70-80fps, especially on a non-G-Sync display.

I know this is just nitpicking with a bunch of really expensive hardware, but is there really that big of a difference in performance between the laptop RTX 2080 and the RTX 2080 Max-Q?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yes. The 2080 Max Q is only about 5-10% faster than a full TDP laptop 2070.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

bull3964 posted:

drat, that's crazy. I knew it was slower, but I didn't realize it was by that much. I think I'm going to return it and get something cheaper for now.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Put laptop on cooling pad?

Does razer undervolt from factory ?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I feel almost like a shill bringing it up again, especially since I'm not serious about buying right now, but take a look at the GX502. It won't be quite as good a form factor, but it's a lot cheaper, has a full TDP 2070, and has switchable Gsync and Optimus.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, a lot of the MaxQ implementations are only moderately faster than the full-juice next tier down. The upside is they're also substantially more power efficient, meaning you actually get a battery life not measured in minutes, and it'll run cooler and quieter.

None of which matter if you're just trying to get the highest performance out of the hardware.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I like nearly everything about my new XPS15 7590 but man the speakers sound like complete rear end. My phone sounds better.

I can't stress just how bad they sound. It sounds like it's playing in a big empty room and echoing kinda or something, it's so bad, might give them a call because it's just so poo poo.

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 19, 2019

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Yeah, the battery life difference between the Blade and the GX502 is pretty massive. Of course, I'll primarily be using it in hotels, but still..

bull3964 posted:

I feel almost like a shill bringing it up again, especially since I'm not serious about buying right now, but take a look at the GX502. It won't be quite as good a form factor, but it's a lot cheaper, has a full TDP 2070, and has switchable Gsync and Optimus.

Yeah, the GX502 looks amazing, but I love the Razer Blade design so much. I figure if I'm spending almost $3k on a laptop, I better like all of it.

I'd even be okay with the Razer Blade as it is if it had G-Sync.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

eggyolk posted:

The Spectre OLED I ordered off HP's website took over two weeks to "process" and is shipping direct from Shanghai. Is that normal?

You ordered a unicorn. I've run the laptop thread for a long time and never seen an OLED laptop in person. Please write back if that thing actually arrives. Preferably with photos

UglyMrBurns
May 31, 2013
Are there any reasonably priced laptops that compare with Lenovos in terms of build quality? The only laptops I've had have been hand me down thinkpads (T410 and T450) and it would take a lot for me to part with the extremely ~reasonable~ construction and the trackpoint. So far I'm leaning towards the X1 carbon because I'm vain, but if the new T series laptops have actually made their screens not horrendous I'd be up for getting a 480/90 depending on how much of an improvement they are.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i've got a friend who works at ibm and might be able to get me a killer discount on a thinkpad. which offers the best bang for the buck? i'd mostly be routing through vm to do database dev work, some internet. might do some local database dev work if needed. 15" is way too big, that i know. portability highly considered, a good screen would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

i've got a friend who works at ibm and might be able to get me a killer discount on a thinkpad. which offers the best bang for the buck? i'd mostly be routing through vm to do database dev work, some internet. might do some local database dev work if needed. 15" is way too big, that i know. portability highly considered, a good screen would be great.

If portability is a big deal for you, consider either the X1 Carbon or the T490S, depending on how much power you think your VMs need.

The last gen (6th) Carbon had some issues, so I might stay away from it, but the 7th gen looks better, though more expensive since it just came out. The 490S will be much cheaper, but a bit chunkier.