Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Sup KG bro I have some 1.5 surrounds and 4.5 as my L/R. Much less classy “black satin,” unfortunately.

Love these speakers though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Do they count as vintage? I mean 1991 was like 30 years ago

If I ever see a pair of my old dorm speakers sitting around somewhere [JBL J2050 IIRC] I'd be hard pressed to not buy them.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Moved this from a different thread:

I have this set of Pioneer speakers that I got from Goodwill for $20 years ago, and they work well for me, me being not what anyone would call an audiophile. I enjoy music, but for all I know maybe I'm ruining my experience using them.

ANYWAY, question is: they have these little lights on the front, but they never actually light up unless I have the volume cranked up WAAAAAY louder than is safe, let alone enjoyable. I live in a somewhat rural neighborhood, so my closest neighbors are a few hundred yards away at the closest, but I'd imagine even they would notice if I cranked these up to max.

I was just wondering what the lights were for, and whether they should be lighting up at "normal" listening volume.

This is my setup:

And this is a closeup of the little indicator lights:

The speaker model is "Pioneer CA-905", at least that's what it says on the front.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
It's a load level indicator and it should move through the negative green numbers and finally to red if the signal gets loud enough. (You don't want it to get to red.)

Do the green start to light up one by one as you crank it or does it instantly go red?

You can see it working as intended about half way through this video. https://youtu.be/Ajo6yEQpNV4

bigman.50grand fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 16, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I wish all speakers had built-in VU meters, that’s really cool (although gimmicky as hell)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

bigman.50grand posted:

It's a load level indicator and it should move through the negative green numbers and finally to red if the signal gets loud enough. (You don't want it to get to red.)

Do the green start to light up one by one as you crank it or does it instantly go red?

You can see it working as intended about half way through this video. https://youtu.be/Ajo6yEQpNV4

It slowly lights up the green unless I crank it all the way up, which is literally too loud for me to be next to without ear plugs.

The lights, when the volume is high enough that they light up, but not so loud it's redlined, flicker/pulse with the... bass? Or just the beat?

But, keeping the system at a comfortable indoor listening level, the lights don't illuminate at all.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I have a question. Where do I get switches like the one on that Kenwood on the last page? I need a replacement one for power on my father's old amp.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i've got an old marantz 2270 that i'd like to have looked at, serviced, maybe a few little things here and there. it generally is in good condition, just needs a little help. anyone know of a place in nyc or close by that they trust to do this sort of thing?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

if you're at all handy, just do it yourself. I cringe when I see the prices people pay to have some capacitors replaced.

edit: or just send it to me for disposal

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Having done a tiny bit of servicing on a similar Marantz, they are DENSE on the inside. I had a tough time even getting it apart far enough just to deoxit the knobs. It might be a fun challenge to get in there for a recap, but it'd be a doozy.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I found a real beat up Bic 960 on Craigslist for $20 and thought “what the heck, I’ll clean it, fix it up, and sell it for a profit.” After a month of cleaning, greasing, and bending the mechanisms back in place, it’s finally ready to go, but now I’m attached to it! The problem is now my living room looks like this:

Is it pathetic to have two of the same turntables? Is there a legitimate case I could make for keeping both??

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’d totally stick a mixer between them and have them setup in battle style just to confuse people.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It lets you play continuously, even while switching records. Even if you aren't setup like a modern DJ, you could be setup like an old-school radio station.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
This is a good idea especially because one of them is a 6-record multiplayer so I’m potentially setting myself up for infinite plays.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
There’s nothing weird about 2 turntables & a microphone, it’s how the old school enthusiasts would’ve done it.

Pop/rock albums cut for radio/club play and classical/opera albums for well-heeled enthusiasts would often be pressed sides A/C+B/D so that you could seamlessly cue between two tables without interrupting the music to flip records. I’ve got a bunch of opera recordings that are pressed like that as was the vinyl pressing of LCD Soundsystem’s “farewell” concert.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Actually, there's more reasons than that.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Admittedly I’ve done this with albums that I have two copies of. It’s pretty convenient playing a whole album without getting up!

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
So, I'm hosed. I am fully into the horn sound since getting my LaScalas and also love woodworking. So the plan right now is to build new LaScala bass bins out of 1" MDF with a walnut veneer and put the 15" Eminence woofer in them that people tend to use to replace the K33 when they go.

Also I bought Altec 511b horns which sound ~amazing~ and they're going out to get sandblasted and powder coated (I'm open to colour suggestions) in 2 weeks. Plan there is to build a new, separate top with the 511's and some Crites CT125 tweeters and my ALK universal crossovers.

At this point I'll only be a second-hand set of K55-v compression drivers away from the LaScalas being complete again with the old AA crossovers and I'll probably sell them because it turns out that even with a huge basement, that's a lot of speaker.

Also look at these ridiculous loving horns.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VladimirLeninpest posted:

I found a real beat up Bic 960 on Craigslist for $20 and thought “what the heck, I’ll clean it, fix it up, and sell it for a profit.” After a month of cleaning, greasing, and bending the mechanisms back in place, it’s finally ready to go, but now I’m attached to it! The problem is now my living room looks like this:

Is it pathetic to have two of the same turntables? Is there a legitimate case I could make for keeping both??

Set one up with a mono pick-up so you never have to switch?

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Hey guys,

It looks like this could be the place to go for opening up stuff and tinkering with it chat, I recently got a Tascam 414 which isnt outputing sound from the tapes. From what I've gathered everything else is running fine, its taking inputs and firing them out the line out and monitor so I think its where the tape-heads are reading thats the problem.

I've found this nasty looking yellow capacitor thats reading 0 ohm when I put the multimeter on it so I'm guessing its (at least 1 of) the culprits.

I'm just having a bit of trouble figuring out what to replace it with. Im guessing just some kind of 82 nF film capacitor, and I guess volts to be fairly low?

Also while I'm at it, I'm also fixing a Tascam 244 for a friend, it just looked like it really needed belts, idlers and pinch roller replaced - however it's still pulling tape into the pinch roller when you play - is that just a bad new pinch roller or something else?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Another Goodwill purchase, another cassette deck that needs new belts. :sigh: My first NAD gear though - both components seem pretty high quality. I'm curious how the cassette deck sounds with that trim dial so I'll probably end up dropping $25 on the belts. At least the deck only cost a dollar.

The Miminus speaker talk a few pages back made me grab those bookshelfs. Minimus 18's and 26's.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
gently caress yeah, thrift store finds!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

You can't really meter a capacitor in circuit, I'm not even sure that is a capacitor anyway.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The symbol printed under it on the pcb is a capacitor symbol. And it looks like a cap. With delicious honey on top.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

y'all probably know better than I do, I've seen xtals that look like that though

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

New belts on a $1 NAD deck is a pretty sweet issue though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
So I’m an idiot and I’m moving and I accidentally kicked my 1983 Vector Research that was my dad’s in the dark and broke the dust cover like an idiot.

What’s my best bet for getting/commissioning a replacement? It has slide-in hinges.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I did an ebay search for "vector research dust cover" and a couple dust covers and a couple complete turntables popped up for $30-50. Otherwise, maybe take careful measurements and search local thrift shops for turntables with covers that math those measurements?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I did an ebay search for "vector research dust cover" and a couple dust covers and a couple complete turntables popped up for $30-50. Otherwise, maybe take careful measurements and search local thrift shops for turntables with covers that math those measurements?

Just snatched up the only dustcover I found on eBay for $29. I assumed there wouldn’t be any because its such a niche little brand. I could blow you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Hello thread. Long time, no post. I finally fixed the Pioneer PL-50 that my dad accidentally left running for two weeks while I was away a couple of years ago. The Delrin disc in the platter thrust bearing was basically reduced to plastic gunk, and the oil had hardened to a stiff, taffy like substance. Luckily, a guy on eBay started making new Delrin discs for the bearing. I disassembled the bearing, cleaned everything in an ultrasonic cleaner, replaced the thrust disc, and filled it with synthetic oil. The motor was actually fine because it uses a gravity feed oiling system, with an oil pot under the speed selector that feeds two tubes that connect to the top and bottom motor bearings, and holds a few ML's of oil. It's working great now. Cart is a 70's Stanton 500 body with a Jico Hyper-Elliptical stylus from LPgear, tracking at 1.5g.

The other turntables pictured are a couple of new low-medium low end Crosley/Pro-ject C3 and C6 turntables that I've done Preampectomies and other goofy mods after getting them cheap (like $20) from a couple of friends that bought them and quickly moved up to something better. As far as Crosley products go, they are actually worlds ahead of what they used to sell. They keep speed fine, the motors are well isolated physically, and the arms are economized versions of the Pro-ject Debut III arm, but their fatal flaw is the AWFUL built-in RIAA preamp that rendered both basically useless to the original owners. The C-6 came with a "factory installed" ground loop. The C-3's preamp never worked, and introduced noise from the switching power supply it came with, even when the preamp bypass switch was enabled. Eliminate the Preamps, install a couple of good quality RCA jacks wired directly to the tonearm wires, a ground wire, and ground the tonearm, and they actually aren't half bad, if you don't mind not having anti-skate.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 19, 2019

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Not that it's relevant but what the hey, look what I found for $5. It appears about 1950s.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 6, 2019

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Does it work? Does the tone control double as the on-off switch or am I reading it wrong?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
OFF-TONE is some seriously bad branding :v:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I have always wondered exactly what tone knobs do on older/cheap equipment. Does it apply some kind of hardware EQ curve and the knob simply adjusts how pronounced it is? I imagine it's a super dead simple circuit

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The typical analog tone circuit just cuts low or high frequencies with a pair of simple filters. An example

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

polyester concept posted:

I have always wondered exactly what tone knobs do on older/cheap equipment. Does it apply some kind of hardware EQ curve and the knob simply adjusts how pronounced it is? I imagine it's a super dead simple circuit
Must commonly it would behave according to the principles of the Baxandall tone control. Circuits for and graphs of the particular curve are easily googled.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Hey guys I hope you dont mind me asking here?

I am looking to sell my pair of sl1200mk2 with Ortofon Concordes (the blue and orange ones, if I looked really hard I could find the original cartridges).

Both are in full working order and immaculate, what price should I be asking? I am in the UK.

I also have a DJM300 I was going to throw in with them as it would be of no use to me, but that is more of a sweetener...

Thanks.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I sold my very nice 1210mk2 (basically perfect condition with a few minor cosmetic blemishes) to a friend for the equivalent of £400, which I consider a "friends and family" level.

Here, I would price them at around £600/each for general sales, to leave bargaining room, but I don't know the selection and availability in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Does it work? Does the tone control double as the on-off switch or am I reading it wrong?

Oh no it doesn't work lol. It's mostly rust. But there's a schematic on the bottom showing three tubes and nothing else. My wife wants to convert it to a CD storage case of some sort. What gets me about this thing is the wooden knobs.