Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The poo poo that happens in Japan and this is when you people show up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The first thing my wife told me this morning, before even get out of bed.

I look forward to the mandatory safety training when entering a Japanese building (or whatever the safety over-reaction is) next time I am there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stringent posted:

The poo poo that happens in Japan and this is when you people show up...

Again, it's the biggest mass killing since World War II. How is that not newsworthy?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ocrumsprug posted:

The first thing my wife told me this morning, before even get out of bed.

I look forward to the mandatory safety training when entering a Japanese building (or whatever the safety over-reaction is) next time I am there.

According to what's come out in the Japanese papers so far, some dude ran up to the building, threw some gasoline and a match on it, yelled 死ね!and tried to run off.

Given it's an anime company I can only imagine how grossly below code the building was that so many people died. I completely expect reports that all the emergency exits were chained shut in the coming days.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stringent posted:

According to what's come out in the Japanese papers so far, some dude ran up to the building, threw some gasoline and a match on it, yelled 死ね!and tried to run off.

Given it's an anime company I can only imagine how grossly below code the building was that so many people died. I completely expect reports that all the emergency exits were chained shut in the coming days.

The reports I saw said that the dude broke into the office and started pouring gasoline over people, which was how he ended up in hospital (because he was in the middle of the fire he started). So, a fair bit more involved.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Darth Walrus posted:

The reports I saw said that the dude broke into the office and started pouring gasoline over people, which was how he ended up in hospital (because he was in the middle of the fire he started). So, a fair bit more involved.

Link that.

Also I'm eagerly awaiting whether it was a fan or an ex-employee. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt in not assuming it was a current employee.

*edit*

Sorry just checked and they're saying not an employee, so ex or fan.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 18, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stringent posted:

Link that.

Also I'm eagerly awaiting whether it was a fan or an ex-employee.

https://twitter.com/soukatsu_/status/1151699853505961984?s=21

Also, 'eagerly'? Really, dude? What is with this gigantic grudge you've got against this studio? You posting this from your hospital bed in the burn ward or something?

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 18, 2019

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah it's late af here I'm not trying to track or troll this, so whatever.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stringent posted:

Yeah it's late af here I'm not trying to track or troll this, so whatever.

You sure?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Yeah, I'll come back tomorrow, go nuts in the mean time if you're inclined though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
This is awful.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Stringent posted:

Yeah, I'll come back tomorrow, go nuts in the mean time if you're inclined though.

Don't come back.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

NARRATOR: he didn’t come back

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Heard about the KyoAni fire earlier this afternoon—holy poo poo this is heartbreaking to hear. I’m not as intimately familiar with their work as I should be (I’ve heard that they’re somewhere between being the bee’s knees and just shy of arthouse bullshit (pretty to look at, not so much to actually watch storyline-wise)), but that doesn’t mean that this is any less depressing to read about. They’ve touched so many people with their work that their impact on the medium of anime cannot be overstated.

You can criticize their work down to the last atom, you can lampoon their decision making process all you’d like, hell, you can say stupid poo poo about them on the internet and be called an idiot, but actually sending them death threats to them (let alone setting fire to their studio, mind) immediately disqualifies you from any and all conversations about their works in any setting, civil or otherwise. You do not get to pass go, you do not get to collect $200 USD, you are simply removed from that discussion. (This should really apply to all discussions about all topics, but I digress) You can play it off as a joke all you’d like; it will not add anything to the conversation if you make statements about how you’d like to see KyoAni “burn in the deepest fires of hell” or if “someone took an M60 to the writing room.”

I could go on, but I believe that I made my stance on the matter clear. What happened was horrible, and folks who think it’s ok to cheer the monster who did this on or crack wise about this tragedy deserve no place in any sort of conversation, least of all this one.

To prevent this from spiraling out of control, I am requesting a three day suspension/probation for myself to stop myself from doing something stupid. I honestly do not trust myself to respond to replies to/quotes of this post in a civilized manner (or at least for very long), so this might very well be what’s needed to keep the peace in the long run, even if it seems like a waste of time right now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mystes
May 31, 2006

I would have expected the argument in this thread to be about how meaningful Japanese gun control laws are in light of this event or something, but no, of course not.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
Seems like a more relevant discussion might be asking about the state of fire codes in Japan - the pictures I saw people linking of the building layout had a single stairway and apparently the door to the roof was padlocked? If that's true, that is some dire Triangle Shirtwaist poo poo.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

mystes posted:

I would have expected the argument in this thread to be about how meaningful Japanese gun control laws are in light of this event or something, but no, of course not.
That would have been even worse.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Mitsuo posted:

Seems like a more relevant discussion might be asking about the state of fire codes in Japan - the pictures I saw people linking of the building layout had a single stairway and apparently the door to the roof was padlocked? If that's true, that is some dire Triangle Shirtwaist poo poo.
The firefighters have said that the door was closed, but apparently not locked; they were able to open it from the outside.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mitsuo posted:

yea I'm actually genuinely curious about this, from pure 'what pictures I can find quickly' 'research' it looks like a pretty rough building to have any kind of crisis in let alone a fire. I just always had the kinda western semi-stereotype of Japan having a lot of regulation and code and all for its civics, but is fire code something that needs work, or did these guys just cheap out?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mitsuo posted:

I don't think most places require buildings to allow access to the roof for egress, although maybe some places require access from the roof for emergency personnel?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Fire codes are meant to counter accidental fire. An active arsonist with accelerant looking to cut off points of egress is something else entirely.

e: also there was 1 normal staircase and a spiral staircase in the center of the building.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Apraxin posted:

The firefighters have said that the door was closed, but apparently not locked; they were able to open it from the outside.

A bunch of people rushing to a cramped exit can get clogged up pretty easily. The example that comes to mind is the Station nightclub fire where a guy filming his escape who just walked out turns around and there's a pile of people stacked up like cordwood struggling to get out of a completely open doorway.

Not that the roof is a good place to escape to anyways compared to a real fire escape, but maybe it could have mitigated casualties from smoke inhalation if they got outside.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Wow, uh, so, hi thread :stonkhat:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

mystes posted:

There’s a lot that could be said about how mass killings as an outlet/expression of anger or for attention has entered the public consciousness in first world countries like never before, and we can expect stuff like this to happen periodically forever unless we enact some real crazy invasive security measures, and even then nothing can completely stop it.

Someday somebody’s gonna drive a big old truck through Shibuya crossing at peak hours, etc.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

LimburgLimbo posted:

There’s a lot that could be said about how mass killings as an outlet/expression of anger or for attention has entered the public consciousness in first world countries like never before, and we can expect stuff like this to happen periodically forever unless we enact some real crazy invasive security measures, and even then nothing can completely stop it.

Someday somebody’s gonna drive a big old truck through Shibuya crossing at peak hours, etc.

It's already happened in Akihabara: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akihabara_massacre

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Yep, and it will happen again with more body count in the next 5 years or so, almost for sure.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
drat. I tease Japan goons for their sometimes zealous insistence that everybody know "no really I really don't like anime!!!" But cheering on dozens of people burning to death because they work in a sector of the entertainment industry you don't appreciate is beyond what I ever could have imagined.

drat, Stringent.

What sort of statements has the government made about this? I assume both local and national officials have said something by now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Thread with some details on the fire and KyoAni's safety protocols:

https://twitter.com/nappasan/status/1151920524441731072?s=21

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I just don't know how much you can expect fire safety standards to help when it's a case of someone with 40 liters of gas.

Not discounting the importance, but like that's just not the case they're there for.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Bloodnose posted:

drat. I tease Japan goons for their sometimes zealous insistence that everybody know "no really I really don't like anime!!!" But cheering on dozens of people burning to death because they work in a sector of the entertainment industry you don't appreciate is beyond what I ever could have imagined.

I had to leave the goon LINE group months ago because (like Slack) there's no functionality to ignore people in chat groups and he (Stringent) was being a titanic rear end in a top hat to the point where I couldn't deal with it anymore. This is pretty par for the course for him and I'm glad he got his comeuppance for once.

quote:

What sort of statements has the government made about this? I assume both local and national officials have said something by now.

Abe made a tweet about it and got instantly trolled because, well, it's Abe. I suspect though that it's going to be a while before everything is sorted out - they're trying to make sure the suspect doesn't die so they can get as much of the motive out of him before they inevitably neck him.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Navaash posted:

Abe made a tweet about it and got instantly trolled because, well, it's Abe. I suspect though that it's going to be a while before everything is sorted out - they're trying to make sure the suspect doesn't die so they can get as much of the motive out of him before they inevitably neck him.

Isn't there usually a pretty long lead time between conviction and appeals running out? I know not every case will be as long as Shoko's 23 years but I figure they'll have a good half a decade to question this piece of poo poo.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Tesseraction posted:

Isn't there usually a pretty long lead time between conviction and appeals running out? I know not every case will be as long as Shoko's 23 years but I figure they'll have a good half a decade to question this piece of poo poo.

Sure. Asahara was unusual in that they could never get him to talk right up to the end. This guy was pretty glib in copping to it while on fire, though, so they maybe won't wait too long.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bloodnose posted:

Can't find it at the moment but I saw that a local candidate in Kyoto said something like "Sure, this fire is a big deal right now, but the upcoming election is what you should be thinking about!" This was sometime in between the fire being reported at first and the death toll climbing into the dozens.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Navaash posted:

I had to leave the goon LINE group months ago because (like Slack) there's no functionality to ignore people in chat groups and he (Stringent) was being a titanic rear end in a top hat to the point where I couldn't deal with it anymore. This is pretty par for the course for him and I'm glad he got his comeuppance for once.

He’s been gone for a while because he can’t handle himself so feel free to go back.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rochallor posted:

Can't find it at the moment but I saw that a local candidate in Kyoto said something like "Sure, this fire is a big deal right now, but the upcoming election is what you should be thinking about!" This was sometime in between the fire being reported at first and the death toll climbing into the dozens.
That was Daisaku Kadokawa, the mayor of Kyoto (the city so he's at least not actually the mayor of Uji, where Kyoto Animation is located, which I guess would have made his remarks even even more astonishing).

mystes fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 19, 2019

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Thinking about it, after my trip to Japan, I couldn't help but think that Japan has some serious social issues ahead of it. Every society has those, but Japan's bizarre mix of extremely conservative social norms and the liberalization of many things, including women, makes for an interesting few decades for them there. Even in my short 2 weeks there I saw how repressed many aspects of Japanese society were and now that the threads are coming loose, we're going to see more extreme attacks from these quasi-incels like the one that burned down the studio.

Interestingly, that animation studio has put out some social commentary animes (as far as I know). That could be the reason they were targeted. I noticed a lot of different media talking about various social issues coming out over the last few years. If they're talking about these things then it must be pretty serious because Japan is the kind of place where they seem to like to keep everything bad on the down-low. From what I can tell, based on the many documentaries and shows I've watched, I think there is a real sense of disenchantment amongst the younger people there.

As an interesting aside, I noticed that the vast majority of people doing any kind of light physical labour or non-service work were 50+ years old. Their aging crisis is quite evident.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tarkus posted:

Thinking about it, after my trip to Japan, I couldn't help but think that Japan has some serious social issues ahead of it. Every society has those, but Japan's bizarre mix of extremely conservative social norms and the liberalization of many things, including women, makes for an interesting few decades for them there. Even in my short 2 weeks there I saw how repressed many aspects of Japanese society were and now that the threads are coming loose, we're going to see more extreme attacks from these quasi-incels like the one that burned down the studio.

Interestingly, that animation studio has put out some social commentary animes (as far as I know). That could be the reason they were targeted. I noticed a lot of different media talking about various social issues coming out over the last few years. If they're talking about these things then it must be pretty serious because Japan is the kind of place where they seem to like to keep everything bad on the down-low. From what I can tell, based on the many documentaries and shows I've watched, I think there is a real sense of disenchantment amongst the younger people there.

As an interesting aside, I noticed that the vast majority of people doing any kind of light physical labour or non-service work were 50+ years old. Their aging crisis is quite evident.

The guy was reportedly yelling about plagiarism. Not sure there's any broader social issue that's tied to.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Darth Walrus posted:

The guy was reportedly yelling about plagiarism. Not sure there's any broader social issue that's tied to.

Oh, ok. I read he was dousing women in gasoline. Thought it might be an incel-ish thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tarkus posted:

Oh, ok. I read he was dousing women in gasoline. Thought it might be an incel-ish thing.

I mean, he was, but it was because he was dousing everyone he could find in gasoline, and KyoAni has a lot of female employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

KyoAni has done some incredible trolls on the anime community before, but I doubt that influenced the killer.

Examples of their trolling:

First, an unintended one was their adaptation of the series Free, which is about hot dudes swimming, and their fanbase, who normally expected sexy and/or cute girls were enraged that they were not being pandered to. The rage rekindles slightly with each new season.

Second, and way funnier: their extremely in-demand second season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya had one normal episode then spent literally 8 weeks of their 14-week season airing the same episode 8 times. All that varied were camera angles, clothing and the way some of the lines were said, as if the same episode was improvised 8 times on a stage. Otherwise it was the exact same episode. Fans got angrier and angrier until by the seventh week their rage could overpower the sun. They only didn't get angrier by the eighth because the series was called Endless Eight and they resigned themselves to it being the final episode. ...they were certainly nervous when the next week rolled around, though.