Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Strangler 42 posted:

It's great if you have lifetime insurance on all your poo poo. But the space poors who have to grind for their ships because they're not paying hundreds of their own real life dollars for a ship? gently caress em.

I've understood they're pledges, the ship isn't important, only development! Have I been deceived?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

valiantlife posted:

This fan base has a hard on for perma death yet CIG keep introducing random uncontrollable ways to die.

It's great if you don't actually play the game!

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

It's great if you don't actually play the game!

Does anyone actually "play" this ""game""

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Asmodai_00 posted:

I do! It sucks!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Krycek posted:

If a game developer with no actual released games can have a con, then this here 20 year old dead gay forum company with an actual released and working forum can have a con. Gooncon 2020 gently caress yeah!
it will be held in Lowtax' basement, there will be punch and pie
punch and pie not included

Unlike the legendary Chris Roberts, we would have to start small. Goon Star Citizen Thread Con (GSCTC)?

Edit: typo

Bofast fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 19, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

oh no, downloading my $80 videya game takes an extra 3 minutes of Epic / Origin installation, woe is me

I don't recall the Epic launcher having bad download speeds the 3-4 times I've downloaded anything, but a friend of mine had that thing where the Origin version of Anthem patched the game by making a copy of the whole install directory to a separate folder and then patching that copy via download at way less than ideal download speed in his location in Ireland. He had it installed on a regular HDD and it didn't even finish after running for 12+ hours overnight. Pausing the download because he had to do something else really quick with the bandwidth made the whole patch start over again from 0% (including the whole directory copy thing). That was pretty embarrassing for Origin and lost them a potential customer.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer
What makes me the most uncomfortable about the Epic games store thing is that the better margins for devs apparently couldn't be trusted to draw business. I was ready to start buying all my games on Epic, then they started doing exclusives. Now I'm just feeling a bit put out by that and hoping Steam considers better revenue shares and treating their more legitimate indie devs better.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I've seen this exact argument a lot.

And my first thought is, you're saying it'd be better if they pulled an EA and started buying and killing studios? That would be acceptable?

It's pretty weird to act like the only viable alternative to buying exclusives the way Epic has been doing is to go full EA and devour studios in a lethal manner. Surely you can do better than that?
They could just have competed as a store that gives a larger cut to devs and maybe has a more curated selection, or something. If GOG could start up while there was even less viable competition outside of Steam, Epic could surely figure something out. They might not have a good niche like GOG did to begin with, but they probably have tons more money to make a good store with if they would just get around to doing so.

Besides, they are already buying Psyonix who made Rocket League, but they have so far not tried to pull it from its existing platforms or anything. As long as they don't pull the existing game from Steam (since that's the only way I can log into RL right now), I don't mind if they own Psyonix and maybe get them to do exclusive cosmetics for an EGS version or whatever :shrug:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sandepande posted:

I preordered RGO. Epic, Steam, whatever, it's all the same, and Travis & co. deserves my money. Tencent owns a not-controlling part of Epic, and they own bits and bobs of bazillion other companies. I suspect they're more about making money, and less as an espionage arm of the Chinese government (well, except possibly industrial espionage, but that is a common hobby).

Exclusives also used to mean platform, not storefront, but I don't multiplay or give a gently caress about Steam's features except INSTALL and PLAY.

As an added bonus, Double Damage never did promise a release on Steam (they had negotiated with Epic before announcing the game, unless my memory sucks as usual) or anywhere else, people just made assumptions because Steam has had practical exclusivity for years.

I did not preorder Star Citizen.

Yeah, as far as I know RGO was never promised for anything outside of Epic on PC launch, and they mentioned Epic a long time ago. That's inconvenient for some people but no bait-and-switch.
It's a whole different ball game from games that were coming out on Steam and then just vanished over to Epic a week from launch or whatever.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mission givers can sometimes be in the incorrect position and may not interact normally.

loving Eckhart.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

He is seriously broke brain material. Waiting for eventual meltdown and erratic behavior.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bofast posted:

It's pretty weird to act like the only viable alternative to buying exclusives the way Epic has been doing is to go full EA and devour studios in a lethal manner. Surely you can do better than that?
They could just have competed as a store that gives a larger cut to devs and maybe has a more curated selection, or something. If GOG could start up while there was even less viable competition outside of Steam, Epic could surely figure something out. They might not have a good niche like GOG did to begin with, but they probably have tons more money to make a good store with if they would just get around to doing so.

Besides, they are already buying Psyonix who made Rocket League, but they have so far not tried to pull it from its existing platforms or anything. As long as they don't pull the existing game from Steam (since that's the only way I can log into RL right now), I don't mind if they own Psyonix and maybe get them to do exclusive cosmetics for an EGS version or whatever :shrug:

The context of that was in saying that they're no worse than EA. I'm not saying that's the only alternative. I've been saying they're all equally bad, and I question why people are so mad at one but not the others who have been doing the same or worse for years. I guess you skipped my earlier posts and just took that one by itself out of context.

The whole crux of my argument is its weird to be super mad at the Epic store, but not mad at the Origin store or the Windows store. Not that you either have to be Epic or EA.

If you're gonna pull a "surely you can do better than that" please read the whole thread. I can't just keep restating the same thing over and over.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 19, 2019

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Colostomy Bag posted:

Mission givers can sometimes be in the incorrect position and may not interact normally.

loving Eckhart.

Did he assume his fetal position again in a corner of that depressing bar where he has to spent his entire life giving (the same broken) missions to the same broken people?

If so, then that's a very much correct position and refusing to interact with anyone is also a normal reaction.

AI smarter than life is in.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm gonna buy RGO cause it looks like the thing I wanted to buy in 2012 and I want to play it. Hopefully uhhhhh that nmmakes a citizen mad, idk. I don't really care enough to be mad about epic or steam or whatever.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Asmodai_00 posted:

Sarsapariller posted:

I do! It sucks!

Let us all praise Sarsapariller, who plays for our sins so that our sins may be forgiven. And praise the saints peter gabriel, TheAgent, VirtualCaptain, and all who suffer and die in Star Citizen so that we may have eternal laughs. In the name of the Chris, the Sandi, and the Erin, amen.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm gonna buy RGO cause it looks like the thing I wanted to buy in 2012 and I want to play it. Hopefully uhhhhh that nmmakes a citizen mad, idk. I don't really care enough to be mad about epic or steam or whatever.

it'll piss someone off in this very thread!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Zaphod42 posted:

The whole crux of my argument is its weird to be super mad at the Epic store, but not mad at the Origin store or the Windows store. Not that you either have to be Epic or EA.

I mad at all of them.
Mad I tell ya.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Does he completely dodge the fact that one of the main reasons for distrust towards crowd funding is the Star Citizen trash fire?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Some enterprising Citizen actually flew around to all the stations and collected this list of in-game vehicle prices on the PTU. These are apparently going to track pretty closely to what the prices will be in the actual game.

Some interesting things to note here:

* The important column is the one on the far right- it tells you how many in-game bucks your store dollar was worth. The curve is interesting- it's clear that they are deliberately jacking the in-game price of big ships in order to make them seem like better store purchases. Essentially these ships are in the in-game store so CIG can say "Look they're for sale in game, it's not P2W" but the 6-to-12 million UEC price tag is completely unattainable. This is that top-tier economy that I mentioned before- there's all this poo poo balanced around missions that take big crews and pay big bucks, but the missions don't exist and there are no crew mechanics. There's just big super expensive ships that can't do anything.

* On the other end of the spectrum, the ground vehicles. If you bought one of these things on the store you got hosed. 26,000 credits in-game is the equivalent of about 4 missions or maybe 30 minutes of work to earn one of these. Citizens are always calculating the "True value" of CIG "Ship packs" on the store by adding up the total dollar value of all the things in them. Coincidentally, these rovers are thrown in all over the place, and their individual store value is like 50 or 60 bucks. But in game terms they're worthless and they're priced accordingly. Translation: they are padding the ship packs to inflate the price tag on you, you dumb fuckers.

* At the low end, 1 dollar translates to ~10 minutes of game time now. On the high end, 1 dollar is about twice that. Because of the incredible range of prices of their ships, from 40 to 700 dollars, the end-game earnable times are always going to be vastly, wildly disparate- like 200 hours vs 6 for a starter- or else the starter ships will eventually have to become so cheap that they are just like the rovers- utterly worthless from a store perspective.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 19, 2019

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
From what I've seen and asked around in Star Trek Online, the 10 minutes for $1 in the case of space rich players seems about right. It's about triple for a new player.

Note that this is a free to play game that is notoriously filled with gambling psychology tricks and whales with terrible spending habits gambling on lockboxes.

In no way similar to Star Citizen.

Nope.

Not at all.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

AlbieQuirky posted:

Let us all praise Sarsapariller, who plays for our sins so that our sins may be forgiven. And praise the saints peter gabriel, TheAgent, VirtualCaptain, and all who suffer and die in Star Citizen so that we may have eternal laughs. In the name of the Chris, the Sandi, and the Erin, amen.

:five:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Still no Banu Merchantman. :smithfrog:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Bofast posted:

Unlike the legendary Chris Roberts, we would have to start small. Goon Star Citizen Thread Con (GSCTC)?

Edit: typo

Yes, but we all show up at Derek's house, unannounced.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Krycek posted:

Yes, but we all show up at Derek's house, unannounced.

Drink all his Baileys and trash the place

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

Drink all his Baileys and trash the place

I want a photo with his answering machine ..... I know it answer's the call. :smuggo:

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

tuo posted:

Yeah, I mean my heart tells me they stopped developing an actual game about 1,5 years ago, when that sweet, sweet investor money came and they simply have to increase the version number every three months to keep it coming in....

They stopped development not long after Arena Commander and the racing game. When they discovered promising jpegs brought in money, not showing gameplay. That, I think, was Derek's ELE. The switch from game-oriented to image-oriented.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Beexoffel posted:

They stopped development not long after Arena Commander and the racing game. When they discovered promising jpegs brought in money, not showing gameplay. That, I think, was Derek's ELE. The switch from game-oriented to image-oriented.

I actually think they would like to develop the virtual world they're promising. It's a far more profitable long-term strategy. Yeah, they can make bank selling pre-order jpegs, but if they could actually create the promised virtual nerdvana they would be printing money. They're simply not capable of creating this unrealized wonder. Partially because they have made wildly unrealistic promises regarding everything from AI to the multitude of features (almost every single ship type and profession has a promised feature-set that would make a complete game in itself), but even more so because of the abysmal architecture and the mountains of technical debt.

So I think the idea that they simply made a cynical decision to abandon actual develop in favor of jpeg peddling, is at once giving them too much credit and attributing them too much malice. They've simply been forced down this path, as the alternative was coming clean, pissing off the fans and thus creating an ELE proper, as the hardcore fans are not at all interested in a mere game. They want a virtual world. But they did make a cynical decision to keep lying about the development progress, to favor hype over compromise and to fundamentally deceive backers about what is achievable.

I don't think it was ever game-oriented, apart from a very brief period during the initial crowdfunding push. CIG leadership very quickly caught on to the immense demand for an escapist virtual world. They also did an amazing job hyping themselves and their talent, design-wise and technical. I am not sure what term describes it best, but they've managed to shift focus from away the actual game to the many layers of hype surrounding it. The people, the studios, the potential, the impossible dream, the David vs Goliath narrative, etc.

In a perverse twist of fate, the very inability to ship a product is what led them to monetize hype. Because that's all they had at their disposal. To their credit they've done a tremendous job of instilling faith in themselves. Perhaps it's because a lot of their customers actually perfectly happy enjoying nothing but dreams and hype - unconsciously aware that any actual product is bound to disappoint, they're drawn to a project that shows a distinct lack of urgency when it comes to delivery and a complete lack of willingness to compromise and reduce scope.

TL;DR - they abandoned delivering an actual game due to inability, not choice.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

I am sure Pgabz is mad at all of them

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
An enterprising citizen is tracking forgotten regressions:

Here is a list of problems which have persisted through multiple quarterly releases, or for multiple PTU patches

quote:

I will be reposting this on every regression test until they're either acknowledged or willfully ignored. They still qualify as regression testing, even if these are not the things listed. These bugs have either persisted through multiple quarterly releases, or multiple PTU patches/the entire PTU. I have had to condense some areas to make room for the rest of the list, so I apologize if some sections are hard to read.

A sample:

quote:

Larger Bugs:
  • PERSISTED: All AI is standing still for the most part. There are some random exceptions.
  • PERSISTED: Ships are becoming depressurized; this combined with the above issue has killed me several times. Specifically, the Constellation is having issues. I have yet to test others. Edit: Has gotten worse.
  • PERSISTED: Sitting in the retaliator cockpit will periodically eject you from the ship.
  • New to list: The bug that makes you respawn in the middle of nowhere after dying has resurfaced; when this happens, the menu becomes inaccessible as well.

quote:

Smaller Bugs:
  • New to list: Bunker AI lag badly, making them difficult to kill for all the wrong reasons.
  • New to list: Some bar seats in Hurston make you sit floating at a 45 degree angle off of the seat.
  • New to list: Hurston's gravity varies from area to area and is not constant.
  • PERSISTED: The button to raise the piano in the phoenix is nonfunctional.

quote:

Problematic Gameplay:
  • New to list: While quantum travelling, you can come out of warp in front of an asteroid. If that happens and you're moving at a high speed, death is guaranteed. Maneuvering out of the way is not possible.
  • PERSISTED: Using the mobiGlas while seated pulls you out of the seat. Using it while laying down has a similar effect.
  • PERSISTED: New shield system is only implemented on one ship, and should be on all ships.
  • PERSISTED: Stealth mode on ships is useless at the moment. Attempted to use it on turrets, which subsequently killed me with no trouble anyway.

No mention of doors or floors, but otherwise pretty comprehensive.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxlrp6CJxRU

:reddit: - "I wonder what depth to the Vanduul they r keeping secret? society aspect? some Vanduul helping humans? or just some queen in the shadows driving them like a hive mind?" :lol:

Quavers fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 19, 2019

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Quavers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxlrp6CJxRU

:reddit: - "....or just some queen in the shadows driving them like a hive mind?" :lol:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

PederP posted:

I actually think they would like to develop the virtual world they're promising. It's a far more profitable long-term strategy. Yeah, they can make bank selling pre-order jpegs, but if they could actually create the promised virtual nerdvana they would be printing money. They're simply not capable of creating this unrealized wonder. Partially because they have made wildly unrealistic promises regarding everything from AI to the multitude of features (almost every single ship type and profession has a promised feature-set that would make a complete game in itself), but even more so because of the abysmal architecture and the mountains of technical debt.

Having been in a project like that once, I can only assume - possibly due to the management style of Crobberts etc. - no one, not even his brother, who also might reak in the money, has the balls to openly proclaim that the project is fubar.

I had to do that once in my career, when I had a lot on my plate in regard to projects, and one of the lowest priority once I thought I could offload to the new guys, who still needed some counceling, which I couldn't always offer as I was stressed out as gently caress with the other ten or so projects. When some of the projects finished, I went back to that "low priority" one, only to find it in a state where every other hour you would put into it would make it worse. I don't blame the guys who developed it, I still work with some of them to this day, and they became pretty good devs, self-employed with their own little company and all. But it was loving hard on all of us - on everyone who invested hours into it - to come to the conclusion that the project and the codebase is fubar, and investing more time and money into it without a complete rewrite would be stupid.

That thing was totally my fault, and my upper management rightly so made me responsible and pay for it (as it should be).

With the money CInotG seems to still reak in, I can only assume no one dares to say "It's dead, Jim Chris", and that they need to rewrite the whole thing (I can only assume they might be able to salvage a lot of assets?).

But you only do that if the prospect of earning money with the current version is also dead, and that's the problem imo with Star Citizen. As long as it produces money, no one will have the balls to proclaim it dead/rewrite-worthy. I mean that from a fundamental, technical stage, engine and all. SQ42 seems to have been rebooted already, and of TheAgent's rumors about a more singleplayer-focused online part (like it is possible in E:D) become true, I can only assume they try to salvage this wreckage in some form.

I'm no game dev, but I always try to find the underlaying problem (in regard to source code, mechanics, systems) when watching those vids posted here, and most of the time I get the feeling that there are no underlying systems, that each and every ship seems to be "handcrafted" in code as well....which was exactly the point when I stopped that one project I mentioned before, when I realized the guys didn't work with each other, but everyone had his little piece of work, and coded it like he thought it was good, and the result where multiple implementations of similar devices (climatic measurement) that didn't have anything to do with each other, no abstraction levels, no common interfaces, no solid IoC pattern, nothing. Just a huge mess of code from people slaving away. And that's what SC looks to me.

Then again, I don't understand game development, so there's that.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PederP posted:

TL;DR - they abandoned delivering an actual game due to inability, not choice.

When you are hundreds of millions over budget inability is pretty much a choice.

Chris chose to do things his way instead of hiring someone capable. Sure, it's not malice, but malice is usually less damaging than hubris.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

PERSISTED: The button to raise the piano in the phoenix is nonfunctional.

This is all anyone ever needs to read to know how loving stupid this game is

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

If you're gonna pull a "surely you can do better than that" please read the whole thread. I can't just keep restating the same thing over and over.

Are you going to stop?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Blue On Blue posted:

PERSISTED: The button to raise the piano in the phoenix is nonfunctional.

This is all anyone ever needs to read to know how loving stupid this game is

I wish my brother George were here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Zaphod42 posted:

The context of that was in saying that they're no worse than EA. I'm not saying that's the only alternative. I've been saying they're all equally bad, and I question why people are so mad at one but not the others who have been doing the same or worse for years. I guess you skipped my earlier posts and just took that one by itself out of context.

Tim Sweeney will never notice you.