Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

less laughter posted:

Kangaskhan currently shares the dubious record of biggest gap in tiers between base stage (PU) and Mega Evo (Uber) with Lopunny (base ZU, Mega Evo OU).

In other words, those two benefit the most of all from their Megas. And consequently have the farthest to fall in 🗡️🛡️.

Is ZU higher or lower than Untiered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The same.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Robot Style posted:

Any food related signs had to be for things that didn't require meat (since there are no animals besides pokemon in the world), so there were a lot of ramen, berry, and dessert places. I remember Noodle Hut being pretty ubiquitous, though.
There was also a place called Joy To Go which had a Togekiss theme, but I don't think you're going to get anything substantial to eat at a fairy-type restaurant.

Thats super cool. Tons of flour is consumed in the pokemon world lol.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Robot Style posted:

There was also a place called Joy To Go which had a Togekiss theme, but I don't think you're going to get anything substantial to eat at a fairy-type restaurant.

togepi balut

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
In gens 6 and 7 they did a pass over many Pokémon species and buffed them. Most are just a +10 BST boost to a relevant stat, but a handful of them got much, much better. I wonder if we'll get more substantial buffs (BST, abilities, movesets) for Pokémon species left orphaned without their mega evolutions.

I wish they'd have done that in the first place instead of adding mega evolution. It caused an absurd power creep because they gave mega evolutions to Pokémon that were already very strong.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 19, 2019

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Vandar posted:

The Nidoran-M and Nidoran-F lines have 1) completely different learnsets, 2) completely different stats, and 3) completely different TM moves.

Meowstic-M and Meowstic-F have the same stats, and the Frillish/Jellicent forms are just cosmetic. There's enough differences between the Nidorans that they're counted as separate and wouldn't really make sense being combined imo (plus they'd have to renumber the entire Pokedex which they're not going to do, since it would screw-up any kind of toy or product that includes National Dex numbers on it).

If they're going to do this whole bullshit about dropping the national dex they should at least use this as an opportunity to do things like combining the Nidorans or giving Pokemon with major dimorphism the same level of differences for the sake of consistency

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if there's no national Dex they don't even have to be numbered

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Chances are that there's going to be a National Dex in Home since Bank has one, and I assume that Home will have all the features Bank has.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
If the Let's Go games got rid of wild battles, what did they replace them with?

Because maybe I'm an outlier, but in any given Pokémon game, I usually end up having like 3x as many wild battles as NPC trainer battles, if only because the wild battles never run out. Not to mention EV training.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Annath posted:

Because maybe I'm an outlier, but in any given Pokémon game, I usually end up having like 3x as many wild battles as NPC trainer battles, if only because the wild battles never run out. Not to mention EV training.

Pokémon Go style capturing. You catch Pokémon in the overworld near constantly, trade the ones you don’t want for leveling candies, and go from there. To allow this, Poké Balls are given so often that you’d be forgiven for thinking they were a denomination of currency.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Geostomp posted:

Pokémon Go style capturing. You catch Pokémon in the overworld near constantly, trade the ones you don’t want for leveling candies, and go from there. To allow this, Poké Balls are given so often that you’d be forgiven for thinking they were a denomination of currency.

What the gently caress they grind up your spare zubats into rare candy?

There's a bunch wrong with that.

E: also, I meant what activity did they introduce to make up for the lost gameplay, not literally what happens when you encounter a pokemon in the wild.

Like, throwing a pokeball isn't the same as a battle, it isn't "content". Strip out all the wild battles and the game basically ends once you beat the league.

Annath fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 19, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Annath posted:

The way it is set up is similar to Pokémon Go: The Pokémon roam the overworld and running into them triggers the battle... Which consists of the Pokémon standing or moving around while you throw balls at them until they get caught or decide to run away. All the Pokémon in your party get experience whenever a successful capture is made. Capturing the same species consecutively increases the chances that rarer Pokémon will show up.

As for EVs... That system doesn't exist in Let's Go. Instead there are Awakening Values or AVs, which increases a Pokémon's stats in a similar way, but are raised by giving them candy. Candy is generally obtained by releasing Pokémon (the more monsters released at a time, the bigger the reward). There are 6 types of candy that increase various stats and they come in different sizes. There are also species specific candy that increases all of the Pokémon's stats as long as it's that evolutionary line's candy (For example, Bulbasaur candy can only be used by Bulbasaur, Ivysaur and Veunsaur).

Annath posted:

E: also, I meant what activity did they introduce to make up for the lost gameplay, not literally what happens when you encounter a pokemon in the wild.

Like, throwing a pokeball isn't the same as a battle, it isn't "content". Strip out all the wild battles and the game basically ends once you beat the league.

That's probably one of the major complaints behind the Let's Go games to be honest. It's a lot shallower then expected from other entries in the series and generally caters to those who got into Pokémon through Pokémon Go.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 19, 2019

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Annath posted:

You do get to battle Mewtwo before catching him, and there's gym and league rematches. Other than that your postgame content is shiny hunting I guess.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Annath posted:

their natural predators have all been rarified by humans. without onix to eat the thousands and thousands of zubats, and audino to eat the infinite hordes of pidgey, they would destroy every ecological niche and we would have a worldwide tragedy of the commons on our hands. so, we must fill the niche ourselves

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I'd be shocked if the Zubat family was one of the species not included in Sword and Shield.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gruckles posted:

You do get to battle Mewtwo before catching him, and there's gym and league rematches. Other than that your postgame content is shiny hunting I guess.

Don’t forget the Master Trainer fights.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I didn't miss random encounters for even a single second in LGPE. If you're half decent at catching - it's dead easy in handheld mode and despite that I played the whole game with the Pokeball Plus controller - you can get chains easy if you want to grind for rare spawns or XP and if you don't grind there's still plenty of trainers which makes Pokemon battles actually meaningful because they're somewhat special rather than being the same press A to win thing you've been enduring in every patch of grass except a few times in a row. By not grinding overmuch and keeping my team rotating by focusing on working towards evolutions to fill out my Dex I experienced more legitimate challenge during LGPE Gyms and the E4 than I have in any other Pokemon game. I tried not to abuse Eevee but kept her around in case she needed to bail my rear end out of a tight spot. Not needing HMs or Status Appliers/False Swipers made the experience so much smoother and fun because I could entirely build my teams around enjoying the battles. Obviously the HM thing applies less after Sun/Moon but it was still great to have it in Red/Blue. I loved LGPE and will play the hell out of a Gold/Silver sequel if they make one.

EDIT: note that I only fought one single Master Trainer, I do not want to grind candies that was not fun so I never used a single one during the game. It's mercifully completely unnecessary if you don't want to engage with the Masters. Not being able to fight Red sucked but it's fine I had more than enough fun without it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I didn't miss random encounters for even a single second in LGPE. If you're half decent at catching - it's dead easy in handheld mode and despite that I played the whole game with the Pokeball Plus controller - you can get chains easy if you want to grind for rare spawns or XP and if you don't grind there's still plenty of trainers which makes Pokemon battles actually meaningful because they're somewhat special rather than being the same press A to win thing you've been enduring in every patch of grass except a few times in a row. By not grinding overmuch and keeping my team rotating by focusing on working towards evolutions to fill out my Dex I experienced more legitimate challenge during LGPE Gyms and the E4 than I have in any other Pokemon game. I tried not to abuse Eevee but kept her around in case she needed to bail my rear end out of a tight spot. Not needing HMs or Status Appliers/False Swipers made the experience so much smoother and fun because I could entirely build my teams around enjoying the battles. Obviously the HM thing applies less after Sun/Moon but it was still great to have it in Red/Blue. I loved LGPE and will play the hell out of a Gold/Silver sequel if they make one.

EDIT: note that I only fought one single Master Trainer, I do not want to grind candies that was not fun so I never used a single one during the game. It's mercifully completely unnecessary if you don't want to engage with the Masters. Not being able to fight Red sucked but it's fine I had more than enough fun without it.

Yeah none of that sounds like fun to me.

Like, half the fun of Pokemon is going back to Victory Road and curbstomping all the "high level" wild pokemon.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Annath posted:

Yeah none of that sounds like fun to me.

Like, half the fun of Pokemon is going back to Victory Road and curbstomping all the "high level" wild pokemon.
Likewise, that isn't fun for me. It's a chore at best obstacle at worst. It's stopping my progress to run into a wild pokemon and pressing A to win because my numbers are higher and it has no moves, stats, or AI capable of challenging me. It also has no rewards unless it's the one kind of Pokemon in that area that gives decent EXP and I happen to be trying to level. That isn't fun in the least. LGPE giving me the option to juke around that Pokemon and get where I'm trying to go is a blessing.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Likewise, that isn't fun for me. It's a chore at best obstacle at worst. It's stopping my progress to run into a wild pokemon and pressing A to win because my numbers are higher and it has no moves, stats, or AI capable of challenging me. It also has no rewards unless it's the one kind of Pokemon in that area that gives decent EXP and I happen to be trying to level. That isn't fun in the least. LGPE giving me the option to juke around that Pokemon and get where I'm trying to go is a blessing.

...have you ever used repels?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Pokemon appearing on the overworld rather than being random encounters was cool, not getting to fight them even once you bump into them is what's lame about let's go.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i'm glad sword/shield is adopting the good part of let's go's wild encounters (seeing the pokemon on the field and being able to not bump into them) and abandoning the godawful part of let's go's wild encounters (what happens when you do bump into them)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

absolutely anything posted:

i'm glad sword/shield is adopting the good part of let's go's wild encounters (seeing the pokemon on the field and being able to not bump into them) and abandoning the godawful part of let's go's wild encounters (what happens when you do bump into them)

agreed.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mawile is good, yo

Fairy/Steel is an aces typing, intimidate is a nice ability, and it has OK stats. You can use one ingame (and I have) with absolutely no issues or feeling underpowered.

If this is about competitive, well barely anything is viable there anyway.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Mega Mawile is one of the best looking Pokémon in the game, not having her Mega is a travesty.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Gonna miss his pink ‘70s style pants

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

qnqnx posted:

...have you ever used repels?
Of course I have but I was responding to "endgame random battles are fun." Sure you can use repels to avoid them completely but then you're just walking from point A to point B. I like the dodging around Pokemon, unless they're real big then yeah I'll pop a repel.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I too think Pokemon games are greatly improved by removing the Pokemon battles. I also support Dexit because I think Pokemon games would be greatly improved by removing the Pokemon.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The point of my post was that removing/streamlining trash random encounters made the battles against Trainers and Gym Leaders more fun and special and the battles were the most fun I've had in the series. But go off.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It might have just been the impression I got from the lack of random battles but it felt like let's go added a bunch of trainers to routes, too many imo. I remember some of the routes feeling completely saturated with trainer battles,

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Zuzie posted:

I'd be shocked if the Zubat family was one of the species not included in Sword and Shield.

It wouldn't be the first time a mainstay was dropped for at least one generation. I believe it happened with Tentacool in at least one pair.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Random battles with wild pokemon have never even approached being interesting and I didn't miss them one bit in Let's go

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It might have just been the impression I got from the lack of random battles but it felt like let's go added a bunch of trainers to routes, too many imo. I remember some of the routes feeling completely saturated with trainer battles,

No that was the case in the original. A lot of routes were nothing but endless trainer gauntlets and made it pretty tedious to play. Route 3, Nugget Bridge, Route 24, start of Cycling Road, Routes 13 and 14, the hardware made Kanto a barren wasteland, so they were put in to disguise that fact.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Mawile is good, yo

Fairy/Steel is an aces typing, intimidate is a nice ability, and it has OK stats. You can use one ingame (and I have) with absolutely no issues or feeling underpowered.

If this is about competitive, well barely anything is viable there anyway.

It has a lower base stat total than beedrill (and most middle evolutions). It's pretty bad, sadly. I've used Mawile a lot but it just really isn't very good even in single player.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Crosspeice posted:

No that was the case in the original. A lot of routes were nothing but endless trainer gauntlets and made it pretty tedious to play. Route 3, Nugget Bridge, Route 24, start of Cycling Road, Routes 13 and 14, the hardware made Kanto a barren wasteland, so they were put in to disguise that fact.

That's always been the feeling I've got when I compare Kanto's routes to routes of later games. It's all fairly urbanized and populated by more people then the towns are. There are also some routes that seem to not make sense outside of a video game context. Why does Route 13 have all those picket fences and why are they arranged like a maze? The same can be said for gyms as well, Surge's gym in particular.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think that is pretty neatly explained by the routes and cities not exactly representing the pokemon world, as it would exist "in reality," accurately.

For example, remember this route with bushes arranged haphazardly?

Here's its description on the map from HGSS: "A path that winds through the forest and comes out overlooking the sea."

So it's actually a winding path through a thick forest!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Amppelix posted:

I think that is pretty neatly explained by the routes and cities not exactly representing the pokemon world, as it would exist "in reality," accurately.

For example, remember this route with bushes arranged haphazardly?

Here's its description on the map from HGSS: "A path that winds through the forest and comes out overlooking the sea."

So it's actually a winding path through a thick forest!

I've always thought bill owned the land and wanted a hedge maze bc he was an eccentric billionaire

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Saagonsa posted:

It has a lower base stat total than beedrill (and most middle evolutions). It's pretty bad, sadly. I've used Mawile a lot but it just really isn't very good even in single player.

Yeah, you can use anything in single player and do ok and grinding is always an option, but as you play you can still feel they're pretty lovely and you'd be having a much easier time just having anybody else in the front instead.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Black and White anime update: For a main character's Pokemon, Iris's Emolga isn't very nice, is she? I guess this could be a callback to how Ash's Pikachu behaved sometimes early on. In general, BW seems to be cargo culting early Kanto somewhat ("resetting" Ash, making Team Rocket the competent bad guys they were portrayed as for all of one episode in Kanto, making Ash's female companion a Gym Leader with vague goals instead of a player character Coordinator, weird pacing). Though Iris is also being a jerk for making Emolga fight when she doesn't want to; in general, BW seems to be unintentionally calling attention to the uncomfortable implications of the franchise's premise more often than previous seasons. Though to be fair, it also made it explicit that Pokemon can just leave their Trainers if they want to; apparently Ash's Snivy has done this in the past to Trainers who didn't meet her high standards, and Snivy, in general, have a reputation for doing this a lot.

Also, while this started long before BW, the female human character designs are too thin compared to the male ones. Once you've noticed this, you can't unsee it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I liked the games where i'd save trainers' numbers and they'd eventually call me for a rematch. like yeah buddy, let's see if you finally evolved your horsea