Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ka0 posted:

You can't have a conversation about ff7 because fans have rose-tinted contacts on.

or maybe they just like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF7 is one of the most games ever, besides some other games.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

FF XII is good.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

Backlash might be a strong word because it's mostly people arguing on internet message boards about a game that sold over 10 million copies, but FF7 was and is still called overrated all the time. :shrug:

I thought FF7 was overrated shortly after it came out. I came around on it, though. It does things with its plot that are genuinely interesting and I think it holds up.

My favorite FF is probably 6, still.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Mega64 posted:

FF7 is one of the most games ever, besides some other games.

video games

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Where can I go to find people who can help me get better at speedrunning SMM2 levels

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

No Wave posted:

it's been the most popular since forever, good luck ever finding a better opening five hours for a jrpg.
It has the best opening five minutes ever for a jrpg. 30 second cutscene, then you're on to completing a mission. Plot exposition about what the mission is and why you're there at all comes later.

I will never understand why this is so rare. I don't want to spend three hours talking to NPCs before anything fun happens.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Final Fantasy IV was the peak of the series. Going to the moon rules, end of arguments.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Wouldn't it be wonderful to set the plot before the game starts, so you can jump straight into the action. Yet another reason why getting rid of printed manuals was a mistake.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bleck posted:

video games

Please don't bring such trash up in the Nintendo Switch thread.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Final Fantasy peaked at 1 and its been on a linear downhill descent since then.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Final Fantasy IV was the peak of the series. A man jumping off an airship, blowing himself up, and surviving rules, end of arguments.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

drat, good point.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just recently played through FF7 on Switch and my opinion on it has improved a lot. The themes have aged remarkably well. Also Barrett hangs up his eco-terrorism hat and becomes an oil baron in Advent Children, lmao.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hey

gently caress You Golbez

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I played ff7 for the first time a few weeks ago and thought it owned

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Final Fantasy IV was the peak of the series. Going to the moon rules, end of arguments.

The series jumped the shark when it suplexed the train.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best actual gameplay in the series is XIII shame about all this weird story cruft.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Tactics is the only good FF game because it's the only one with gameplay and also 7 sucks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There's never been a good Final Fantasy and fans of the series seem to agree

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

RBA Starblade posted:

Much like Galaxy Quest is the best Star Trek movie, Lost Odyssey is the best Final Fantasy game.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Hey guess what everyone?

It's 19 July 2019.

That means >draws in breath for 30+ seconds and releases a rumbling, bass-heavy roar that shakes the trees<

IT IS MOTHERFUCKING MARVEL TIME PEOPLE

One of my favorite gaming memories is playing Ultimate Alliance 2 with my then 7 year-old nephew. I would be desperately fighting for our lives while he walked around carrying a car. When I asked him why he wasn't doing anything he gave me a puzzled look and said:

"JS, I am picking up a car."

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm not a fan of the series and I think FFIX, FFXII and FFXIV are awesome, checks out.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's input lag in the emulation--it's not the best.

I would pick up the SEGA AGES titles you care about (all of them are very well done) and/or pick up the standalone Genesis Mini when it comes out in September.

ah ok, thanks for the heads up. if there's lag then that's definitely a deal breaker for me. I'll just buy some select SEGA AGES titles. I probably wont get the Genesis Mini because I cant justify buying two consoles. it was either going to be the switch or the genesis mini and I would rather have it all in the switch.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Bravely Default is a great final fantasy

and so is second

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

“FF7 is overrated” was dethroned as the most insufferable take by “Fake gamers remember Cloud’s personality the wrong way”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have never played a final fantasy therefore they all are really good or really bad

hope this helps

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
FF7 is an incredible RPG from 1997 and that's exactly how it should be viewed. It's an Incredible RPG from 1997. much like how Chrono Trigger is an Incredible RPG from 1995.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fallom posted:

“FF7 is overrated” was dethroned as the most insufferable take by “Fake gamers remember Cloud’s personality the wrong way”

It's square that remembers cloud's personality wrong

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 19, 2019

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I'm really loving how ever since Kotaku picked up the drift problem all these other smaller sites that sort of orbit Kotaku content are treating it as this new thing to be mad over when drift has been an issue since ... four months after the Switch launched? Maybe earlier?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Andrast posted:

It's square that remember's cloud's personality wrong

they keep forgetting that cloud was a krillin also-ran to zack's goku

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've never had the drift so to speak, but I play mostly docked and usually with a pro or sf30, so I'm less prone. I only really use joycon on the road, in Mario Party/Let's Go, or in Labo. Plus I keep my living room area dust free

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

FF7 is an incredible RPG from 1997 and that's exactly how it should be viewed. It's an Incredible RPG from 1997. much like how Chrono Trigger is an Incredible RPG from 1995.

Chrono Trigger is timeless.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Bottom Liner posted:

Tactics is the only good FF game because it's the only one with gameplay and also 7 sucks

This, lads

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tactics is the worst game to bear the FF branding and Im including garbage like Dirge of Cerberus and Final Fantasy Adventure in here

SE should port it to switch though, itd probably sell well

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
My pro controller started drifting. Sucks because I thought it was just a joycon thing.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Chrono Trigger is timeless.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Tactics is the worst game to bear the FF branding and Im including garbage like Dirge of Cerberus and Final Fantasy Adventure in here

SE should port it to switch though, itd probably sell well

Please port FFT to Switch

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Bravely Default is a great final fantasy

and so is second

finally some good, hard facts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Jawdins posted:

My pro controller started drifting. Sucks because I thought it was just a joycon thing.
It is just a joycon thing.