Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

cams posted:

so far, it seems to be the case that every character only has one alt skin and it is just a palette swap. entirely possible there is more people haven't unlocked yet, but personally i doubt it.)

I think it was mentioned by some Devs that the Infinity Rifts (?) have some great gear, including new costumes. I don't think the amount of costumes will be as extensive as previous games, but they'd be idiots not to at least have one or two new costumes hidden somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Give me Age of Apocalypse skins for the Xmen. I want one eyed Scott, I want metal stubb Wolverine, I want face tattoo Jean, I want do rag Colossus, give me Dark Beast!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Kris xK posted:

I think it was mentioned by some Devs that the Infinity Rifts (?) have some great gear, including new costumes. I don't think the amount of costumes will be as extensive as previous games, but they'd be idiots not to at least have one or two new costumes hidden somewhere.

gonna keep using spoilers cause people are weirdos the costumes i'm talking about come from trials. again, only going by people who have had the game for a day or two, but no one has seen more than one extra costume per character, and it was always just a palette swap. i genuinely think that is all there is available in the base game, which is a step down even from mua2.

psure all actual effort costumes are going to be post-launch dlc, likely paid.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

More Datamined spoilers:

There are more costumes found data mined which also say EV - could that be event?

Other characters possible from datamines are apparently: Medusa, Blackbolt, Valkyrie, Viasion

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Costume talk:

It was confirmed at SDCC that everyone will be getting alternative costumes through Q1 of 2020.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Just give me Minerva and Spider Gwen

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Reviews are coming in. It’s exactly as expected. 7-8 range.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/marvel-ultimate-alliance-3-the-black-order

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM9ULaAeRSM&t=473s

tldr there are framerate issues

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They should’ve just ported future fight over

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I want good combat, no thanks

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Kris xK posted:

Booooooo get out, Sentry is one of the shittiest "Heroes" ever

Born from a Wizard magazine prank, no less.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

45 minutes!!!!! WAHOOOOOO

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

reviews seem pretty solid, not gonna change anyone's mind if they weren't in on it but it sounds like everything I wanted

Sesq posted:

Marvel Knights crew got announced

Punisher
Goon Knight
Blade
Morbius

don't give a single poo poo about the first guy there but the other 3 all own. Was expecting the 2nd and 3rd but that last name is a real left turn and I'm all for it. Guess Marvel requested it given the upcoming film.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Has this unlocked yet?

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005

SoR Blaze posted:

Has this unlocked yet?

Yes

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

:ducksiren: GAME IS LIVE!!!!!!!! :ducksiren:

Get in and have some fun. Many of us are pretty big Marvel fans but some of us are just guys and gals who like video games. No matter who you are, have some fun. Make some goon friends. Talk about the game. Share your builds. Get excited with us. Or share your problems and concerns!

Whatever it is, be cool and remember we are all goons and this is our community.

I’ll share a big con now that needs to be said: Undocked, there are very, very noticeable frame rate issues. Docked, you should be in a much better place.

We have a goon switch spreadsheet specifically for this game if you want to link up with goons later in the SA Gamers discord (see OP). No matter where you play or chill with, again, have fun and play your favorite characters.

Lucas Cage, I’m coming home!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Lucas Cage, I’m coming home!

You'll be pleased to know he's an early joiner.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Folt The Bolt posted:

You'll be pleased to know he's an early joiner.

HAW HAW HAWWWWWWW YEAH

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
First hour or so down... game kinda sucks. I was hoping for something closer to X-Men Legends, I guess. And not as badly dumbed down as MUA2. Also they picked the worst possible way to do a Marvel videogame which is to try, and inevitably fail, at recreating the characters as they appeared in the movies.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Woozy posted:

First hour or so down... game kinda sucks. I was hoping for something closer to X-Men Legends, I guess. And not as badly dumbed down as MUA2. Also they picked the worst possible way to do a Marvel videogame which is to try, and inevitably fail, at recreating the characters as they appeared in the movies.

I don't have the game yet, but I tried playing XML 2 on PSP yesterday and it just...doesn't age well at all. M:UA ages pretty decently but there's so many issues I had with 2 like way too much useless gear (which apparently is back in M:UA 3 with super number-based stats that don't mean anything) or characters you'll never use or just super cluttered rooms and stuff.

I don't know. I loved M:UA 1 and 2 wasn't THAT bad..the story wasn't great to me, but eh.

Also, trying to recreate the movie characters but not so much is basically Marvel's whole deal with everything except the comics (sort of) and Crystal Dynamics' game.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I'm only playing in handheld and loving despite not being a fan of the movies. The combat is great so far, really liking the feel of drax and star Lord. Can't get a feel for groot and rocket, rockets attack is supposed to be light, but has a delay unless it's comboed into from heavy groot attacks. Music is dutiful and a bit more catchy than the movies so far.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Digging this more and more.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game is fun so far! But the camera angles are rough and it's really dragging down the experience.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Rocket&Groot are awful, at least at the start.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
I just had a look at the upgrade system and at a glance it's the laziest, most pointless poo poo imaginable. There's not one single thing you can do across like three different "skill" trees that will change anything to do with how the character plays or interacts with the world--it's just raw attribute boosts in every case. I hope I'm missing something because even just cutting out progression entirely would be better than this idle clicker approach to RPG mechanics.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Woozy posted:

I just had a look at the upgrade system and at a glance it's the laziest, most pointless poo poo imaginable. There's not one single thing you can do across like three different "skill" trees that will change anything to do with how the character plays or interacts with the world--it's just raw attribute boosts in every case. I hope I'm missing something because even just cutting out progression entirely would be better than this idle clicker approach to RPG mechanics.

According to (I believe) IGN's review, no. That's really all there is to it.

Does it really not make the character stronger or have better defense or something?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

According to (I believe) IGN's review, no. That's really all there is to it.

Does it really not make the character stronger or have better defense or something?

That's all that it does. Three different upgrade paths filled with raw stat boosts.

Edit: to be clear I would have been absolutely fine with a stripped-down straightforward brawler in the vein of TMNT or something. It's just the RPG side of things is completely vestigial to the point of being insulting.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 19, 2019

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Game itself is pretty fun, synergies give a nice boost but it isn't so significant as to be make or break, so if you just want to roll with incompatible favorites it's not huge deal. The upgrade paths are just stat boosts which kind of sucks, but there's a bit more to the ISO-8 equips. Hard to say how the difficulty is, I'm generally swapping out characters pretty regularly to try everyone out so I'm usually having at least one under-leveled character. I just unlocked Elsa Bloodstone and Ghost Rider, and lost to a boss shortly after. They whooped my rear end.

Combat itself is good, you have to be active and pay attention to what's going on. You'll be doing your dodge A LOT. Blocking seems kind of pointless asyou still take a fair amount of damage and the dodge is really generous so what's the point? Sometimes enemies can chain you to really gently caress you up. and some bosses have multi-hit attacks that if you don't avoid can take down 80% of your health.

Characters feel different from each other. Spider-man, Miles Morales, and Spider-Gwen all feel similar but not at all like palette swaps. The most similar characters that I can remember are Luke Cage and Drax, they kind of do the same poo poo. That was with just one power unlocked though, so maybe with their full moveset they'll at least have different specials.

Okay and here's a spoiler regarding an already announced character in the game:
Elsa Bloodstone seems like she kind of sucks and her moves aren't very stylish, not a lot of visual flair. Does more damage than most ranged folks but she has a lot of start-up to her combos.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm only playing in handheld and loving despite not being a fan of the movies. The combat is great so far, really liking the feel of drax and star Lord. Can't get a feel for groot and rocket, rockets attack is supposed to be light, but has a delay unless it's comboed into from heavy groot attacks. Music is dutiful and a bit more catchy than the movies so far.

You can use Rocket and Groot’s attacks simultaneously. I hold down the gun button with one finger and mash Groot’s melee attack button with the other. I almost feel like an arcade stick would be good for this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How will you level up if at all, characters in the end game content? What if you have characters you never touched during the campaign that you then want to use? Will they be useless now because they are too low level?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I said come in! posted:

How will you level up if at all, characters in the end game content? What if you have characters you never touched during the campaign that you then want to use? Will they be useless now because they are too low level?

There's a level select so I think you can rerun levels. And then after that there seem to be heaps of challenges similar to Hyrule Warriors.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Man, this is kind of a bummer. It looks like you just used the paint bucket tool to change the costumes.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

Man, this is kind of a bummer. It looks like you just used the paint bucket tool to change the costumes.

Correct.

They announced that every character will get one new costume by Q1 2020 yesterday.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Lol the world won't even exist by Q1 2020

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Some of these rifts are stupidly hard in SP because the AI is crap.

Looking at you, Doc Ock. Get close and let me use Synergy attacks, you dicks!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Lol the world won't even exist by Q1 2020

Well then you definitely shouldn't be worrying about marvel costumes

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Did previous MUAs have more than 4 abilities per hero? I'm pretty sure we got to pick which abilities we had.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I believe that x men legends, the predecessor, did have more than 4 abilities, but I know mua 2 only had 4 abilities. I don't remember about mua 1

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

I said come in! posted:

You also get XP-raising items as rewards, in crates, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Zelder posted:

I believe that x men legends, the predecessor, did have more than 4 abilities, but I know mua 2 only had 4 abilities. I don't remember about mua 1

When you select abilties it looks like you swap them out, so I think theres going to be more than four? I haven't gotten that far yet tho