Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Another trial denied, this time because someone was having chest pains.

Life is just so unfair, I'll never get to meet the jury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

In PA at least the Recorder of Deeds reviews all filing and can throw them out for not being correct

Same with the register of wills and Prothonotary

Illinois put in a law about this after a sovereign citizen clouded title on a few federal officials, including judge lefkow (whose family got killed a decade earlier by a follower of a neonazi whose case she had, I believe)

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

mastershakeman posted:

Illinois put in a law about this after a sovereign citizen clouded title on a few federal officials, including judge lefkow (whose family got killed a decade earlier by a follower of a neonazi whose case she had, I believe)

Is this some kind of slang/vernacular I'm not familiar with? I've only ever heard of clouded title/cloud on title with regards to property. I've never heard in in relation to people.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
A guy filed a mechanics lien against fair park in Dallas and then tried to get a judge i interned for to foreclose on the lien and auction off fair park

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Kimsemus posted:

Is this some kind of slang/vernacular I'm not familiar with? I've only ever heard of clouded title/cloud on title with regards to property. I've never heard in in relation to people.
I assume he just meant cloud title on property owned by those people.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mycrimes.book

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1151942431165865985

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Wachtell: "Yeah, you can get away with whatever you want right now, but seriously, you should keep paying us $$$$ instead."

https://twitter.com/sindap/status/1151652178542698497

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

ulmont posted:

Wachtell: "Yeah, you can get away with whatever you want right now, but seriously, you should keep paying us $$$$ instead."

this is true except for healthcare space

everyone I talk to wants to go after hospitals and healthcare providers

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ulmont posted:

https://twitter.com/sindap/status/1151652178542698497

https://twitter.com/sindap/status/1151653666862063617

But unironically.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
imagine (arguably) being the top firm in the united states low key begging for business and facebook likes

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I mean if any of the anti-wall street candidates win the next election I strongly suspect doing your homework now will save a ton of pain later.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I mean if any of the anti-wall street candidates win the next election I strongly suspect doing your homework now will save a ton of pain later.

yeah, crimes committed now are gonna be within the SOL. you shoulda been doing your crimes in early 2017

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Lol @ the notion of thinking beyond the next round of bonuses.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Vox Nihili posted:

Lol @ the notion of thinking beyond the next round of bonuses.

also lol @ the notion that the dems aren't going to gently caress this up and take the govt from the reps.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Meatbag Esq. posted:

also lol @ the notion that the dems aren't going to gently caress this up and take the govt from the reps.

Yeah I thought the SOL evil was imputing was longer than 5 more years :smugdon:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

things not to talk about when you are an accused child molester: your "perfect, perfect sex life"

“I challenge David Boies to say under oath that he has only had sex with one woman during that period of time. He couldn’t do it. So he has an enormous amount of chutzpah to challenge me, and to challenge my perfect, perfect sex life during the relevant period of time.”

how was this guy a well regarded lawyer

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

things not to talk about when you are an accused child molester: your "perfect, perfect sex life"

“I challenge David Boies to say under oath that he has only had sex with one woman during that period of time. He couldn’t do it. So he has an enormous amount of chutzpah to challenge me, and to challenge my perfect, perfect sex life during the relevant period of time.”

how was this guy a well regarded lawyer

He's 80 years old and trying to defend his own case. There's a reason my state has mandatory judicial retirement at 75 (well, technically, that reason is that back in the 70's a junior justice on the state Supreme Court wanted to push out the Chief Justice so got a law passed to force his retirement, but still).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Perfect sex life *

* for the relevant period of time

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Have any of you had opposing counsel say something so completely wrong that you had a panic moment and thought you were reading the wrong file?

Happened to me yesterday. Assault 1. Stabbing case. Defendant lacerated a guy’s spleen after a verbal altercation between the defendant’s wife and victim’s girlfriend. Bond reduction argument. Certified legal intern saying he’s a local and has no failure to appear and no reason bond can’t be reduced.

My whole argument was “six prior failures to appear. Two criminal contempts of court. Multiple assault convictions. Reports he’s been stalking the victim. And an escape conviction.”

When she said no prior failures to appear I genuinely panicked and thought I was about to argue the wrong file.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I see it a bunch when father/son have the same name. It matters less when both of their raps are terrible.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ActusRhesus posted:

Have any of you had opposing counsel say something so completely wrong that you had a panic moment and thought you were reading the wrong file?

The most useful single thing I ever learned in any CLE I ever attended was from a veteran trial attorney, one of the most well-known and reputable in our entire state.

The quote was "If I'm stepping into a courtroom, someone has made a horrible mistake. It might be me, it might be my client, it might be the other side's attorney, it might be their client, but someone is going to win and someone is going to lose."

I often flash back to that quote and think about how the entire practice of law seems to boil down to making sure the other guy is the one making the horrible mistake.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 19, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

Happened to me yesterday. Assault 1. Stabbing case. Defendant lacerated a guy’s spleen after a verbal altercation between the defendant’s wife and victim’s girlfriend. Bond reduction argument. Certified legal intern saying he’s a local and has no failure to appear and no reason bond can’t be reduced.

My whole argument was “six prior failures to appear. Two criminal contempts of court. Multiple assault convictions. Reports he’s been stalking the victim. And an escape conviction.”

When she said no prior failures to appear I genuinely panicked and thought I was about to argue the wrong file.

i have had a recent case where someone made a gigantic math error (in essence, based their entire argument on A being less than B while, in fact, A was greater than B) and spent a few hours running down which of us was actually too dumb to do basic math right

turns out, wasn't me!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The most useful single thing I ever learned in any CLE I ever attended was from a veteran trial attorney, one of the most well-known and reputable in our entire state.

The quote was "If I'm stepping into a courtroom, someone has made a horrible mistake. It might be me, it might be my client, it might be the other side's attorney, it might be their client, but someone is going to win and someone is going to lose."

I often flash back to that quote and think about how the entire practice of law seems to boil down to making sure the other guy is the one making the horrible mistake.

Yep. Complete zero sum. That quote, and the one about the practice being like performing open heart surgery, except there is another surgeon in the operating room doing his absolute best to make sure your patient dies, perfectly encapsulate why this profession is garbage.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

evilweasel posted:

i have had a recent case where someone made a gigantic math error (in essence, based their entire argument on A being less than B while, in fact, A was greater than B) and spent a few hours running down which of us was actually too dumb to do basic math right

turns out, wasn't me!

This one time in law school we had an exam worth 60% of our final grade. There were three questions on the exam, respectively worth 30, 10, and 10 points, for a grand total of 50 points.

To get around this impossible feat of reconciling 50 points into 60%, they gave us all ten points for showing up. Lawyer maths!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I had calendar call this morning and despite OC saying everything was going to go his way and the judge would potentially be mad at us for things, it was very pleasant with no issues. I hope the hearing in a few weeks on punitive damages goes well, also.

Do any other states treat punitive damages like FL? In FL, you have to file a motion for leave to amend your complaint and then have a hearing where you present record evidence and a proffer of evidence. If the judge, accepting your proffer as true, finds there is a reasonable basis that the defendant acted with statutorily defined willful misconduct or gross negligence, then punitive damages can be amended to your complaint. Without this process, punitive damages are unavailable unless you have a statutory cause of action that includes them.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I had calendar call this morning and despite OC saying everything was going to go his way and the judge would potentially be mad at us for things, it was very pleasant with no issues. I hope the hearing in a few weeks on punitive damages goes well, also.

Do any other states treat punitive damages like FL? In FL, you have to file a motion for leave to amend your complaint and then have a hearing where you present record evidence and a proffer of evidence. If the judge, accepting your proffer as true, finds there is a reasonable basis that the defendant acted with statutorily defined willful misconduct or gross negligence, then punitive damages can be amended to your complaint. Without this process, punitive damages are unavailable unless you have a statutory cause of action that includes them.

Not in Louisiana. You just need to plead and prove up, like any other allegation. There are very limited statutory areas where punitives are permitted though.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Whitlam posted:

This one time in law school we had an exam worth 60% of our final grade. There were three questions on the exam, respectively worth 30, 10, and 10 points, for a grand total of 50 points.

To get around this impossible feat of reconciling 50 points into 60%, they gave us all ten points for showing up. Lawyer maths!

Well I mean you get a 3.0 or whatever just for showing up and paying tuition, so.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

In UT you just plead punitive damages in your complaint like any other kind of damages.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
In VA you can plead punitive damages ad damnum with other counts, I've been told by smarter people pleading them separately in VA is usually a bad idea.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

this is one of the nuttier things i've heard about florida and i don't think any other state does it this way

sounds like a "tort reform" thing to let companies knock out punitive damages claims early so i expect its a custom-made state law

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kimsemus posted:

Well I mean you get a 3.0 or whatever just for showing up and paying tuition, so.

In law school ?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

evilweasel posted:

this is one of the nuttier things i've heard about florida and i don't think any other state does it this way

sounds like a "tort reform" thing to let companies knock out punitive damages claims early so i expect its a custom-made state law

quote:

768.72 Pleading in civil actions; claim for punitive damages.—
(1) In any civil action, no claim for punitive damages shall be permitted unless there is a reasonable showing by evidence in the record or proffered by the claimant which would provide a reasonable basis for recovery of such damages. The claimant may move to amend her or his complaint to assert a claim for punitive damages as allowed by the rules of civil procedure. The rules of civil procedure shall be liberally construed so as to allow the claimant discovery of evidence which appears reasonably calculated to lead to admissible evidence on the issue of punitive damages. No discovery of financial worth shall proceed until after the pleading concerning punitive damages is permitted.
(2) A defendant may be held liable for punitive damages only if the trier of fact, based on clear and convincing evidence, finds that the defendant was personally guilty of intentional misconduct or gross negligence. As used in this section, the term:
(a) “Intentional misconduct” means that the defendant had actual knowledge of the wrongfulness of the conduct and the high probability that injury or damage to the claimant would result and, despite that knowledge, intentionally pursued that course of conduct, resulting in injury or damage.
(b) “Gross negligence” means that the defendant’s conduct was so reckless or wanting in care that it constituted a conscious disregard or indifference to the life, safety, or rights of persons exposed to such conduct.
(3) In the case of an employer, principal, corporation, or other legal entity, punitive damages may be imposed for the conduct of an employee or agent only if the conduct of the employee or agent meets the criteria specified in subsection (2) and:
(a) The employer, principal, corporation, or other legal entity actively and knowingly participated in such conduct;
(b) The officers, directors, or managers of the employer, principal, corporation, or other legal entity knowingly condoned, ratified, or consented to such conduct; or
(c) The employer, principal, corporation, or other legal entity engaged in conduct that constituted gross negligence and that contributed to the loss, damages, or injury suffered by the claimant.
(4) The provisions of this section shall be applied to all causes of action arising after the effective date of this act.
History.—s. 51, ch. 86-160; s. 1172, ch. 97-102; s. 22, ch. 99-225.

And yeah it’s absolutely a part of florida “tort reform” over the years. Medmal is ridiculous in Florida as well.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 19, 2019

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

euphronius posted:

In law school ?

yeah, I think our school curved everything from between a 2.7 and a 3.0. Some T1 schools curve to like a 3.7 or something. That's why they say admissions are 90% of law school some places.

I got 4.1s or similar in some classes having no idea what I was doing, and wasn't even top of the class. I had a professor once ask me if giving me a 3.6 was "okay" for my work during the IS or if I wanted something higher.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 19, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Kimsemus posted:

yeah, I think our school curved everything from between a 2.7 and a 3.0. Some T1 schools curve to like a 3.7 or something. That's why they say admissions are 90% of law school some places.

I got 4.1s or similar in some classes having no idea what I was doing, and wasn't even top of the class. I had a professor once ask me if giving me a 3.6 was "okay" for my work during the IS or if I wanted something higher.

4.1s?

In law school?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

I got 4.1s or similar in some classes having no idea what I was doing, and wasn't even top of the class.

I know at my school the curve ended in a B-; in other words to get a C+ or below you had to piss off the professor enough to have him grade you off the curve.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Holy poo poo

I love the clearly audible sigh from Easterbrook right at the end before he tells Alden to sit down. I was expecting the coup de grâce to come—“this is black letter law that every attorney should know.”

“I do know it—“

“Then you are intentionally asserting a frivolous claim and we are going to render and remand to the trial court for an OSC why you shouldn’t be sanctioned under Rule 11. Bye bye.”

HAhahahaa they saved it for the opinion, and reported him to the bar to boot

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kimsemus posted:

Lmao.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Look Sir Droids posted:

4.1s?

In law school?

Our grading system didn't make tremendous sense to me, we were on a 4.3 scale, But clinics/IS was pretty much a default 3.6-3.8, and since all the curves in each class were published in the library, if you really cared about your GPA you could just shop the classes you wanted for a higher one since the school was terrified of giving people low grades.

I really don't think the system was outlandish though since a 2.7-3.0 was like a C+ or B- on a letter scale, and if you did well you could score a low A equivalent pretty easy. Letter grades were really never issues for purposes of grading though.

If I did really well in a class I'd score a 3.7-4.1ish, if I tanked a class (like PR) I would get like a 2.5 or something.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 19, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My LS was a strict curve set at median 3.1 I think iirc (it should have been 3.0 but floated up).

I remember being ok with a B- and really happy with a B+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Mine was similar. Set to b-. Every class except legal writing above a certain side had to have 3-5% of the class get a D.

Got a nasty email from OC because I emailed the JA twice yesterday to discuss scheduling a hearing (of which he refused to coordinate with me). This guy doesn’t move without a court order and it’s maddening.