Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Think the only time I used the big cores were in few of the missions where you fight mostly Deroys, since they’re super irritating to fight at close range (height and the leg cannons).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Kanos posted:

Wait, what? I'm parsing this as "they die in one shot with 2 players in the room but not while I'm solo". When you say "two player room", do you mean singleplayer split screen?

e: I'm willing to help out with science stuff in the future but I don't have inferno unlocked on PC yet since I've been low and slowing my way through the campaign with a friend or two who didn't buy console, so it'll be a few days.
No, 2 player online vs solo online (i.e. 4 player enemy power).

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
god damnit game I don't like assault beetles, nobody likes assault beetles, stop giving me loving assault beetles!!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
:negative:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that gets less common as the numbers get bigger on higher level weapons. of course, not every stat does get bigger than low level versions, like how rof on certain lines of weapons always max out at the same value.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Gotta wonder about the logic of infinite space ion cannons but we couldn't let you reload your life pylon, that'd be TOO MUCH, man!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not 100% sure why the life posts don't just have a really long cooldown. I guess to encourage you to take guard posts for longer missions?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm not 100% sure why the life posts don't just have a really long cooldown. I guess to encourage you to take guard posts for longer missions?

I dunno why you'd use any posts or support items what so ever. You have all the support you need when it comes to raining space lasers on aliens.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

They don't let you take extra because its really hard for edf to get healing stuff working, they only know how to destroy.

I do kinda wish we had iron rains absurd healing rocket launcher though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Doesn't Ranger still get Reverse Shooters?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
If you're barreling through the game with friends, you owe it to yourselves to try out the Proteus:

That's a pair of King Spiders being air-juggled, by the way.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Almost makes me wish I had friends.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Motherfucker posted:

Almost makes me wish I had friends.

I'll be your EDF friend guy

Shameful but as much of an EDF fanboy I am, I have not beat EDF 5 yet. I literally just got to the missions with the flying frogs. No idea why but I couldn't stop laughing at them, hands down the most ridiculous video game enemies I've seen lol.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The game is full of choice quotes.

"The EDF publicly revealed the information during the press conference. The footage was so shocking, it left the entire room speechless. Even the press."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ChickenHeart posted:

If you're barreling through the game with friends, you owe it to yourselves to try out the Proteus:

That's a pair of King Spiders being air-juggled, by the way.

Scooty Puff Sr slowly trundling forward while its torso just goes in any random direction while the dickmissiles fire off is the best

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
THE BULLETS WON'T COME OUT OF MY GUN!

Correct!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
they nerfed the gently caress out of the air raider's tempest/gently caress OFF NUKE, huh

not only is the radius a lot smaller (though I suppose that could be upgraded, but still) more importantly the effective laser range is peanuts. Can't laze something from across the map, now.

boo.

Zed Di Dragon
Feb 16, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

they nerfed the gently caress out of the air raider's tempest/gently caress OFF NUKE, huh

not only is the radius a lot smaller (though I suppose that could be upgraded, but still) more importantly the effective laser range is peanuts. Can't laze something from across the map, now.

boo.

Yeah but the final version also does half a million damage now.

And radius shouldn't be smaller at all if you've got 5* radius on it.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I made the mistake of trying to solo mission 22 on hard mode in a multiplayer room with a shotgun and the MLRA-2 missiles with multiple lockon support gear. The first three pylons went ok, but once I got to the last three pylons and lost all the NPCs it took a loooooong time to kill even one pylon while being swarmed by red ants and jumping spiders.
At least I got 58 armor and 4+ pages of equipment pickups listed afterward :D

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

boo.

Are the stats maxed? laser range is a stat and its real bad lower level.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Also starsn generally? aren't weighted evenly, generally the last star and the first few stars of a stat are worth the most in terms of upgrades.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Do tadpoles have the same language pattern as the human frogs?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Real dumb question, but I just started as Air Raider, and I have no idea how to call in the vehicle I equipped.

The ticket bar is full, but I can't actually select the vehicle with the weapon selector, and none of the default buttons on my Xbox One controller seem to do anything vehicle-related.

I looked in the control scheme, and it just says "A" to summon vehicle. But I think I have to select it first somehow?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjewtsu posted:

Healing is super valuable and limited by design. I'm pretty sure they don't want anyone to have Safe, Literally Infinite Healing available since it would largely eliminate the "everyone is one touch from death and fumbling in panic for health crates while trying not to die" part of the game. Hell, just seeing how much bringing a life spout gun and topping my team's fencers from 1% to full once or twice in a mission dramatically changes the flow of a stage confirms that it's probably too powerful to be infinite without skewing the game balance a lot.

If healing posts just had a really long cooldown the optimal/obvious play for any map with any breathing room given to the players would be "fight a wave, then pull back and wait around to have the Air Raider top everyone up before fighting the next wave".

Motherfucker posted:

I dunno why you'd use any posts or support items what so ever. You have all the support you need when it comes to raining space lasers on aliens.

Support items are situationally super useful in multiplayer. Life Spout Guns are extremely powerful. Guard Posts are mostly crap because even with boosted defense you really don't want to be tanking hits unless you're in a Titan or something. Power Posts are actually really good for any mission that justifies standing in one area and shooting, like the big setpiece "enemies are charging us across an open field" missions.

In singleplayer they're useless though.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 19, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Real dumb question, but I just started as Air Raider, and I have no idea how to call in the vehicle I equipped.

The ticket bar is full, but I can't actually select the vehicle with the weapon selector, and none of the default buttons on my Xbox One controller seem to do anything vehicle-related.

I looked in the control scheme, and it just says "A" to summon vehicle. But I think I have to select it first somehow?

you don't have to select vehicles. call vehicle is a remappable button, so you can make it whatever.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

WhiteHowler posted:

You can always look up the controls for every vehicle and class in the menu. There is another menu under the audio menu, I think, that is the vehicles section.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Having beat EDF 4.1 on Hard with Ranger now and going to about 22 in Hardest, I'm noticing a few things:

1) It's a miracle the EDF functions at all since its rank and file can't see poo poo between the debris, the vehicle wrecks, mountains of smoke / particles / bee stingers, and piles of GIANT INSECT corpses clogging the screen

2) Related, I think the GIANT INSECTS are actually getting gianter in size as the difficulty is going up

3) Using a Stringer to get out of a ant bite and taking out 20+ in a swarm (such as on Crimson) is never not funny

4) Getting level 0 weapons on Hardest instead of actual new stuff is never funny

5) I don't have a good way to juke spiders as Ranger once the NPCs die; can't seem to win the DPS race with the on level-ish gear I have now

6) Grenades are still hilarious and still a terrible idea solo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EDF5's aesthetic is almost perfectly in the middle of 4.1 and 2, and I love it.

What's the new hotness on Fencers now that dash-canceling isn't a thing anymore? I've been using Cannon Shot + Blasthole Spear a lot, and I feel like they complement each other pretty well(at least on Normal). You get both jumps and dashes, the Shot adds a nice third hit to the Spear's one-two punch, and you can use one while the other's reloading.

40 Proof Listerine posted:

3) Using a Stringer to get out of a ant bite and taking out 20+ in a swarm (such as on Crimson) is never not funny

It should be noted that Ranger shotguns can also do this now.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 20, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
instead of dash cancelling, it is dash stacking. you use a weapon with a jump and one with a dash at the same time, and then you equip the gear that gives you more dashes and jumps.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
you hit dash, shortly after (while you're still dashing) you hit jump, and then you go super fast. If you want to go even more fast you equip the blast twin spears and then use the melee after jumping since it gives you an extra boost.

also yeah you equip the max consecutive dash and jump boosters.

Then you get stuck in every apartment balcony because you're bad :shepface:.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

You get some silly poo poo where you have item that gives 3 dashes and then say another that like 4 extra jumps and 2 more dashes and you realize that fencer can fly almost as well as a wing diver. That is lategame gear but even having 2 more jumps and a extra dash can help a lot with mobility, fencer practically doesn't work on higher difficulties without them.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can always look up the controls for every vehicle and class in the menu. There is another menu under the audio menu, I think, that is the vehicles section.
Yeah, it said it was mapped to the A button, but A wasn't doing anything in-game. I remapped it, and then it was fine.

Also found a workaround -- in the communications menu (through the D-pad), if you say "I'm requesting a vehicle", it automatically requests the vehicle.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I appreciate how they changed up weapon drops so all classes will get some, so you can actually play around with classes and not just be completely "stuck" in one, but

I really wish armor was global and had whatever class scaling because I'm still stuck out of, say, fencer when my plucky air raider has more armor then them.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Hwurmp posted:

What's the new hotness on Fencers now that dash-canceling isn't a thing anymore?

My big thing has been a quick melee (Jackhammer!) in one hand and a shotgun in another. I'm the closest thing to a Grim Reaper and aint no one gonna tell me otherwise.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
If you REALLY want reloadable healing the ambulance vehicle is about the close as it gets, although obviously it has it's own problems.

Also Air Raider protip: spawn vehicles regularly! Once the bar is filled any additional kills are wasted so try to spawn them whenever you get to (unless you know you'll need them for a specific part). You'll also be helping out the Rangers.

Reallycoolname fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 20, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Having beat EDF 4.1 on Hard with Ranger now and going to about 22 in Hardest, I'm noticing a few things:

4) Getting level 0 weapons on Hardest instead of actual new stuff is never funny
Inferno is one massive gently caress you. Good luck.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Scalding Coffee posted:

Inferno is one massive gently caress you. Good luck.

That's what the genocide gun is for

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i just plain don't enjoy inferno.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

game owns. Although I dunno if fighting 20 kaiju isn't a low hanging fruit in terms of an endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i just plain don't enjoy inferno.

Breaking into inferno traditionally sucks rear end and is turbo unfun if you try to jump directly from clearing hard because the only way to comfortably and reliably handle inferno level threats is with inferno level weapons.

Thankfully, EDF 5 has a secret solution to this initial roadblock: Take advantage of having all the stages unlocked here. The final mission of retaking base 228, where you initially get the Barga, drops a ton of loot due to making GBS threads a ton of frogs/cosmonauts on you and is tailor made to be completed on higher difficulties with little effort because the Barga scales with difficulty. Run that on hardest a few times to bulk out your arsenal with level ~60 stuff and early inferno suddenly sucks a lot less rear end.