Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the web browser you're posting with is almost certainly using gl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

the web browser you're posting with is almost certainly using gl

firefox doesn't use opengl by default because it is not guaranteed to be faster on intel graphics

i mean, it could use gl. but that will never be a universal configuration for lots of obvious reasons

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Wayland is the default on the most popular desktop Linuxes (Ubuntu, Fedora), and X certainly isn't the default on the most popular desktop Unix (macOS). I used Wayland-GNOME for years without noticing any weirdness, and now I am even using a psycho elitist tiling window manager on Wayland, just like I used to do on X. There seems to be an Xwayland running, but I don't know for what. Firefox? I don't care. It works fine.

I don't have particularly strong opinions on display servers, but it does seem like desktop Linux is migrating to Wayland for good this time, and I'm fine with that. It has been a decade since I last used remote X, and even then it didn't work very well. Small loss. I have maybe a dozen friends using Linux full time on their desktops, and I am pretty sure none of them have ever used remote X, except maybe as a novelty. Most of them probably don't even know it exists.

Athas fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 19, 2019

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

firefox doesn't use opengl by default because it is not guaranteed to be faster on intel graphics

i mean, it could use gl. but that will never be a universal configuration for lots of obvious reasons

it's using opengl by default on intel. has been for about... 6 years now?

not for all graphics rendering, but at least for compositing

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have no idea what percentage of linux desktop users it is, but it's a large fraction of the users who have money

Prove it. Because literally everyone else in this thread full of professional Linux developers is telling you they don't and never have needed your weird edge use case. You have a really weird habit of assuming your personal work environment is 100% reflective of the entire industry in all respects, and that just ain't so.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I too have never used network X in the over a decade of being a professional Linux toucher. I just use SSH like everybody else.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

ratbert90 posted:

I too have never used network X in the over a decade of being a professional Linux toucher. I just use SSH like everybody else.

Even the few times I did use remote X, it was tunnelled over SSH. Is there any other sane way to do it? At university long ago there were some thin SunRay X terminals, and I guess maybe they used some other protocol. That was the last time I used remote X.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Athas posted:

Even the few times I did use remote X, it was tunnelled over SSH. Is there any other sane way to do it? At university long ago there were some thin SunRay X terminals, and I guess maybe they used some other protocol. That was the last time I used remote X.

I think he means 'ssh and then the command line instead of X'. The protocol's the same whether it's going over an ssh tunnel or just a direct TCP connection; either way you're not going to get shared memory, usable OpenGL etc.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Athas posted:

TBH I haven’t used X over SSH in over a decade as well. I just use sshfs if I really need to and then modify the files as if they were local.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
X gonna give it to ya

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vomik posted:

X gonna give it to ya

Linux 2019: X net gonna give it to ya.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I use remote X11 apps over SSH and like it

Works pretty dece over local networks, and actually a surprisingly good solution for using a Linux VM on macos/windows.

gently caress the haters remote X11 owns and Wayland can smd

welp, I'm internet shitposter Poopernickel and this was my post :tipshat:

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 19, 2019

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
dont sign your posts :laffo:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

gently caress the haters remote X11 owns and Wayland can smd

magnification is not currently working under wayland so you're sol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

magnification is not currently working under wayland so you're sol

*trap airhorns*

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I also pretty regularly use x11 forwarding and in fact it's the only way to do certain things in my current position

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

big black turnout posted:

it's the only way to do certain things in my current position
          /

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

big black turnout posted:

I also pretty regularly use x11 forwarding and in fact it's the only way to do certain things in my current position

Does that break for you with XWayland? :)

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
hell if i know. work isn't where i fiddle with linux. im just saying its a use case for me

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I hosed around with i3 for an hour then just went ahead and installed ubuntu LTS with gnome and everything set to default. it's fine. I'll think about installing i3 and arch again if i want to impress some nerds

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i tried i3 but i actually like awesome wm better

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

Prove it. Because literally everyone else in this thread full of professional Linux developers is telling you they don't and never have needed your weird edge use case. You have a really weird habit of assuming your personal work environment is 100% reflective of the entire industry in all respects, and that just ain't so.

i have no good way of proving it except that citrix and opentext still somehow exist

also it's not just my current job

out of my last five jobs, four of them were hellish corporate environments where remote access details were hugely important

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

Does that break for you with XWayland? :)

nothing should ever be broken with xwayland, except, expecting users to tolerate xwayland dooms wayland to irrelevance. see also: every loving broken ruin of an X11 replacement in the last thirty years

----------------------------------

i think some people itt are getting me wrong. i am not the x11 defender, here to tell you x11 is good and cool

i am the x11 tolerator. i live with x11. i need x11 to get by, day to day.

if wayland manages to deliver a feature complete replacement for the world i live in with x11, i will be happy to say goodbye to x11

i just don't expect that outcome, because this kind of hype and furor has happened many times in the past, and nothing ever actually replaced x11

the individual-remote-applications use case is really loving hard, which is why people shy away from it and waypipe only half works and x11 still sticks around to bother us as an ancient horror

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
X11: the methadone of window systems

you do X11, you get a window system

not a good window system, not too terrible a window system, just a window system

and it’ll run on anything since it was prototyped on a fuckin MicroVAX

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
nBSD you should get some X terminals

like a DEC VXT2000 or an NCD MCX

(if you see an NCR TOWERVIEW it’s mine, tell me about it and if it’s under like US$100 grab it and I’ll reimburse you)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

nBSD you should get some X terminals

like a DEC VXT2000 or an NCD MCX

(if you see an NCR TOWERVIEW it’s mine, tell me about it and if it’s under like US$100 grab it and I’ll reimburse you)

i used to have a bunch of dedicated X terminals, as a collection

they were an initial locus of my computer collecting habit because my local public library system in the midwest relied on a mystery combination of NCD, Sun, and Wyse to provide Netscape-for-UNIX to patrons

but i moved to new york some years ago and the X terms were a necessary casualty :(

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

X11: the methadone of window systems

you do X11, you get a window system

not a good window system, not too terrible a window system, just a window system

and it’ll run on anything since it was prototyped on a fuckin MicroVAX

everyone thinks they casually can quit methadone, at the beginning

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Zlodo posted:

/

My brain keeps reimagining her torso as doing Dirac's belt trick:

https://twitter.com/thattai/status/1017453909185630208?lang=en

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

out of my last five jobs, four of them were hellish corporate environments where remote access details were hugely important

Nobody is claiming that remote access is not important, but nowadays sane people use text mode SSH or intranet HTTP UIs for that.

Do you also work at places where people write new X applications to control operations?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Athas posted:

Nobody is claiming that remote access is not important, but nowadays sane people use text mode SSH or intranet HTTP UIs for that.

right the “details” are things like “does my ide run on my desktop” and “can my ide reach development hosts”

this poo poo seems dumb as gently caress and obvious until, you know, it’s not

strictly speaking i can ssh into hosts but I can’t open new ssh channels or run commands, which makes ash into lovely telnet

remote applications are A Thing as much as we all would prefer they were not. it is funny and terrible to see people pretend it’s just not an issue :smith:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
in the time I have been posting in yospos i have worked at nine? ten? employers

seven of them forced me to use remote x11 for various tasks, whether tunneled through ssh or not

at a minimum, my anecdotal experience dictates that remote apps are important to hundreds of thousands of corporate drones

it’s a thing. I think we would all be happier if it weren’t, but corporate America doesn’t cater to our happiness.

it would be really good if the waypipe work gets finished

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

what are the non-linux x systems doing? i cant see theo de raadt going all in on the wayland train to appease the 200 openbsd desktop users

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in the time I have been posting in yospos i have worked at nine? ten? employers

seven of them forced me to use remote x11 for various tasks, whether tunneled through ssh or not

at a minimum, my anecdotal experience dictates that remote apps are important to hundreds of thousands of corporate drones

it’s a thing. I think we would all be happier if it weren’t, but corporate America doesn’t cater to our happiness.

it would be really good if the waypipe work gets finished

that sucks. ive been at F500 media and retail corporations and ssh was ubiquitous at both. friends in fintech and places like cargill report the same.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Helicity posted:

what are the non-linux x systems doing?

gathering dust

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is obvious that x11 wont be going away any time soon, but it is getting to be equally obvious that xwayland is going to be the standard implementation on linux.

will annoy a lot of people for a lot of really irrelevant reasons (omg the purity of my very important linux desktop is compromised by this seemingly even *more* complex setup), but it makes pretty decent sense to have wayland take over the driver/drawing concerns, and having stuff dragged off xwayland only as needed (e.g. more performance-sensitive bits), or as weirdos invest their free time in what is strictly not very important tasks (most things).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have no good way of proving it except that citrix and opentext still somehow exist

also it's not just my current job

We are specifically talking about remote X11 here. Don't try and move the goalposts. And if XWayland does everything you need it to do, for your edge case, why on earth do you think that supporting your edge case using legacy software somehow dooms Wayland to never becoming the default for the rest of us?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
they're called "edge cases" because the only people who have them are edgy basket case contrarians arguing for the sake of arguing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

We are specifically talking about remote X11 here. Don't try and move the goalposts. And if XWayland does everything you need it to do, for your edge case, why on earth do you think that supporting your edge case using legacy software somehow dooms Wayland to never becoming the default for the rest of us?

an instructive tale:

NeWS was a pretty cool technology but it had an X11 implementation bolted on for legacy apps

result: no one ever ported anything to NeWS

NeWS is now dead and gone and X11 is still with us

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

an instructive tale:

NeWS was a pretty cool technology but it had an X11 implementation bolted on for legacy apps

result: no one ever ported anything to NeWS

NeWS is now dead and gone and X11 is still with us

moral: Unix was poo poo, is poo poo, will always be poo poo. otoh being able to shovel that poo poo without gagging is worth a lot of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

moral: Unix was poo poo, is poo poo, will always be poo poo. otoh being able to shovel that poo poo without gagging is worth a lot of money