Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Mugaaz posted:

I agree, the higher level pledges adding double of the packs you select makes no sense, I'd much rather just pick 10 different ones.

Pledge at the $1 tier, but pledge $121, then pick the six Lances from add-ons at the end of the kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Mugaaz posted:

You can't get 3 people to join you? Does you FLGS have a FB page or similar you can reach out to find if anyone is interested?

Strobe posted:

If you're in the EU or Canada it looks like this is fulfilling from centers in those areas.

If you're in Oz, sorry. :v:

Bangkok. And yeah getting people interested in Battletech is loving tough. I'm spamming social media so we'll see.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Strobe posted:

Pledge at the $1 tier, but pledge $121, then pick the six Lances from add-ons at the end of the kickstarter.

Not trying to sound whingy, but would rather just pick a tier with "double" rewards that let me pick different ones instead of doubling up on the ones I picked.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

SirFozzie posted:

Half a Million in a day. Safe to say this wasn't what anyone was probably expecting.

Edit: MOAR MECHS!

The 500K Mechs

Blackjack, Panther, Wolfhound, Jenner (inner sphere) (+1 salvage box)

550K (not earned yet)
Kodiak, Supernova, Marauder IIC, Warhammer IIC, Hunchback C

600K (Not earned yet)
Whitworth, Longbow, Trebuchet, Bombadier (+1 salvage box)

600k barely put up a fight.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Is there a running list of all the lance packs currently available? It currently looks like there's a dozen lance/star packs right now.

They need a "all the minis" option.

Each line o f the posts I made was it's own pack, but I'll repost:

Inner Sphere Packs (If chosen as a reward and not an addon, you get a salvage box random extra mech)
Warhammer Rifleman Phoenix Hawk Wasp
Marauder Archer Valkyrie Stinger
Atlas, Marauder II, Orion, Crusader
Banshee, Grasshopper Centurion Hachetman
Blackjack, Panther, Wolfhound, Jenner
Whitworth, Longbow, Trebuchet, Bombadier
Sarabus, Firestarter (Omni), Axman, Berserker (750K)

Clan Mechs (If not already noted, add-ons)

Executioner Timber Wolf, Nova, Grendel, Adder (Base set)
2 points of elementals (Base set)

Dire Wolf Stormcrow Shadowcat Mist Lynx Summoner
Elemental Star Packs (5 Points)
Gargoyle, Mad Dog, Hellbringer, Viper, Ice Ferret
Fire Falcon, Arctic Cheetah, Hellion, Battle Cobra, Black Lanner
Kodiak, Supernova, Marauder IIC, Warhammer IIC, Hunchback IIC
Howler, Solitaire, Incubus, Pack Hunter, Horned Owl (675K)

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 18, 2019

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Note that the 'double packs' for the $150 and up tiers appears to just give you two of whatever pack you choose. Also a 'Salvage box' which is a random mech. You can get the lance/stars as add-ons for $20/$25 respectively ($5/mech) so it's probably better to grab stars with your package unless you really want an IS one.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If you take a IS Lance with your reward tiers a salvage box is added EDIT: per reward so you get the same number of Mechs.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ah, I missed that.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yeah, when the tiers say "X/Y/Z 'Mechs" they meant it. :v:

Since then there's been a couple (I think 1-7, depending on tier) added thanks to stretch goals, but the number shown is still for all initial rewards listed in the tiers section.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Kickstarter looks great, but man they seem to be committing to an making an insane amount of Mechs as part of fulfilling this kickstarter.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

HidaO-Win posted:

Kickstarter looks great, but man they seem to be committing to an making an insane amount of Mechs as part of fulfilling this kickstarter.

Yeah kind of insane at the rate they are expanding it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Mugaaz posted:

Yeah kind of insane at the rate they are expanding it.

To be fair: The number of minis required to be produced hasn't gone up much and scales with backers not cash. The variety on the other hand is a train with no brakes.

EDIT: that was phrased really poorly.

Without the extra lance/star packs, they would still be making the same number of miniatures to fulfill rewards. That hasn't changed with stretch goals, and presumably was already possible in profitable fashion at low scale. Economics of scale might be helping here.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 18, 2019

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Yeah, its just the extra design work, especially working without concept art like they would have for the better known mechs, then the proofing the molds and making sure they come out high quality. They’ve done, what 10 battlemechs under the new system and now they are making 50 new ones? That’s majorly ramping things up.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

nvm.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 19, 2019

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

They've gone through the new design to plastic sculpts process before, so I believe they are capable. How long it takes to make that many, and whether quality will suffer when they try to expand that rapidly are what I'm worried about.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
The extra mechs stagger things by a month per new pack, so you're not going to see the very last units until around Christmas 2020.

They've also said they're looking into the Australia thing, though this early that could mean anything. But the issue has been raised.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I know Scroggins has been working on new art for a lot of classic mechs, and he's been showing off 3D models of a bunch of them, too, so it's not like they need to scramble for concept art for a shitload of mechs (yet).

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
The latest update goes into how they're building out the star and lance packs. (it's a backer only update, so I'm going to quote only that secrtion. They also have a vote up to ask what already announced mech would you rather they NOT make and which one you'd want to replace it.

Update posted:

Now, when we’re building these Star and Lance Packs, several of us are involved, we’ve got a big spreadsheet open, and we’re plugging-and-playing and discussing (and oft-times arguing about) the different possible ’Mechs to include. But at the core, we’re using the following guidelines (in no particular order).

Position: What’s come before in the campaign, and what’s coming after. For example, at $450k, the Clan Heavy Battle Star was filled with heavy and assault OmniMechs. The Clan Support Star at $550k mirrored that. As such, the Inner Sphere Lance Pack unlocked between those two needed to edge heavily in the other direction.

Art Redesign: Just so we’re clear, every single ’Mech released as part of this campaign will go through the full redesign process, wedding the classic elements of each ’Mech that we fell in love with to more modern aesthetics. That said, some ’Mechs need a facelift more than others, so allowing them to be unlocked sooner than others is appropriate. (Though, as always, mileage varies as art is wonderfully subjective.) The Wolfhound is a great example of this “needing it more than others.”

Good Design/Fan-Favorites: What do we see the fans discussing at conventions and online? And even more importantly, what are they playing? What do we play? The Panther, Wolfhound and Jenner are excellent examples of great designs used on tabletops often.

Era Appropriate: With very few exceptions (usually created from trying to match all of these criteria) the ’Mech should be available within the Clan Invasion Era.

General Usage Within Inner Sphere: Again, with very few exceptions, almost everything unlocked to date have been ’Mechs available to most factions and widely produced within the universe. We’ve held off on designs heavily associated with a particular faction, so far. For example, just yesterday we discussed the Dragon, Maulerand Hatamoto-chi. Those are so quintessentially Combine that not having them in a “Lance Pack: House Kurita” just seemed wrong. So they’re much further down the list.

Formations: We use the rules from Campaign Operations (starting on p. 60) to ensure every lance fits within an established Formation. In this instance, the Striker Lance says the following:

“All units in a Striker/Cavalry Lance must have a minimum Walk/Cruise speed of 5, or a Jump movement of 4 or more. No units in a Striker/Cavalry Lance may be of assault weight class or above. At least 50 percent of the Striker/Cavalry Lance must have the Striker or Skirmisher unit Roles.”

Do the Blackjack, Panther, Wolfhound, and Jennerall fit those requirements? Yup.

Ephemera:This is the last piece, and it’s one that unites the other elements, or often provides just a gut sense of where we should take things. In this instance, the Blackjack fails most of the criteria above on its own. Yet, it’s one of the key BattleMechs in Harebrained Schemes’ BATTLETECH computer game…and is actually ridiculously fun to play in that experience. There were one or two other options for that last billet, all appropriate and vying for that slot, but that other connection tipped the balance.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I voted Howler. I really, really hope that the Black Lanner doesn't get voted off.

Actually I hope none of them get voted off

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Black Lanner is a fantastic 'Mech and looks more like an attack helicopter with legs than anything besides the Cauldron Born. In this objective category it is therefore one of the best 'Mechs in the game.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

A king crab.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Please give me a new Black Knight.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Pussy Cartel posted:

Please give me a new Black Knight.

I would also like the Dark Age Black Knight in plastic.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SirFozzie posted:

We’ve held off on designs heavily associated with a particular faction, so far.

Panther, Wolfhound, and Jenner

What are these motherfuckers talking about

These could not be associated any more with one faction

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Defiance Industries posted:

What are these motherfuckers talking about

These could not be associated any more with one faction

Look right above it.

The Panther, Wolfhound and Jenner are excellent examples of great designs used on tabletops often.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sure. I'm more surprised it comes after them saying general IS use is so important though.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Panther was a SLDF design and is on every availability list except Marik (of course). It's iconic to the DC, but not nearly exclusive.

The Wolfhound for a lot of people is less FedCom and more just anywhere. Phelan's use of one wasn't anywhere near FedCom employ and he's arguably the most famous pilot.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The first wave of digital rewards just went out to backers.

TRO 3050 Wallpaper
Clan Juggernaut Wallpaper
Inner Sphere Response Wallpaper
A New Game by Steven Mohan, Jr., a short story set during the early invasion.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've read somewhere that they will only be delivering the core stuff that was already developed pre-launch when delivery date rolls around - so the core box, the two IS packs, and the dire wolf clan pack, in march.
Everything else will be delivered later than march, supposedly.
I haven't specifically spotted it in the kickstarter text or updates yet though.
Okay so they say this in the shipping and other text right at the very bottom of the campaign text, where you have to scroll for it.

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 20, 2019

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

The Panther was a SLDF design and is on every availability list except Marik (of course). It's iconic to the DC, but not nearly exclusive.

The Wolfhound for a lot of people is less FedCom and more just anywhere. Phelan's use of one wasn't anywhere near FedCom employ and he's arguably the most famous pilot.

You can find a single pilot for anything just about anywhere (thanks, Death Commando special rules!) but that doesn't mean that a unit isn't identified with a particular faction

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Wolfhound is Steiner/Davion as all hell, and I can't think about the Panther or Jenner without thinking about Kurita. I love the Wolfhound, but if I was making a bunch of general IS packs I sure as hell wouldn't include it.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Mechs good who cares

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007
The only reason I can see that they would include mechs tied to specific great houses when going for "general IS" is that depending on the tech and era it might be hard to find. I notice the ones in question are lights. I haven't been following this kickstarter but I'm assuming they're going for 3025/4th war era. Depending on how many lights they needed they might actually run out of generic mechs and be forced to dive into the faction specific ones.

I can think of 4 lights in that era that are not tied to a faction and see widespread use - Locust, Wasp, Stinger, Firestarter

Everything else falls under:
Javelin, Valkryie - Davion
Commando - Steiner
Wolfhound - Davion/Steiner
Flea - Marik/Dragoons
Hermes - Marik
Jenner, Panther - Kurita
Raven, UrbanMech - Liao
Spider - Marik/Kurita

Or we start getting into SLDF or other faction specific designs that become lostech or exceedingly rare by that era. Going further into the 3050's and beyond there's not much in the way of "generic" designs as nearly every new design is heavily tied to the faction that created them (or in some cases a few factions that worked together on the design).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Back when BattleCorps was still buying short stories I was told by the line developers that the Hermes is incredibly rare, it's one of the Inner Sphere's unicorns. The Wolfhound and Panther aren't universal but they are common enough that pretty much everyone has salvaged Panthers (or "salvaged" Wolfhounds if TharHes needs a quick excuse for selling weapons to foreign states under the table).

Edit: If we're talking "generally available to mercenaries" both are pretty high on the list.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 20, 2019

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007
I was confusing Hermes with Hermes II. Remembered there being a "Hermes" on pretty much every FWL/Marik build table for forever; forgot the low tech II was a 40 tonner.

Faction specific designs have never been 100% limited to their producer and the Wolfhound is a very popular mech among the player base in general and mercenaries in the lore, but when most people think "Wolfhound" they think Steiner/Davion/Fedcom/LA and when most people think "Panther" they think Kurita/DC. I know when I've played megamek servers that tried to be canon-correct you basically don't see Panthers in use outside of DC unless they're salvage or a very uncommon "faction asset" kind of pull.

It rubs me wrong to have "generic IS" be designs that are highly associated with a specific faction, but it's unavoidable if they keep adding more and more mechs.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Defiance is right: the Panther by 3025 is 100% Kurita (you never see them on non-Kurita RATs outside of SL-era games), the Wolfhound FC and loyal Mercs, and the Jenner is the Kuritaest Kurita mech imaginable outside of the Dragon. The Wolfhound has the best claim to wider distribution because of the FedCom technically being two states and Mercs being all over the place, but even then, no other state ever uses it. Only old Star League-era designs are seen in all the factions in anything besides "that one I salvaged that one battle" numbers, so it's a strange line for the management to take. Then again, I'd be very happy to see new sculpts of all of them, so argument inconsistencies aside they're all common machines (at least within one faction) that would be good to have.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Panther 9R is on every single availability list on the MUL except the Free Worlds League, because of course the FWL doesn't get anything with a PPC.

The Panther 8Z (non-PPC) is was on Inner Sphere General last time I checked but says Extinct now, whoops.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
It is, but that's because the MUL is not fine-grained at all. A lot of things are on the Inner Sphere General list that are only applicable in the most technical of senses: to it, a Hermes is just as available as a Wasp. In terms of actual force building, no one is going to add a machine only built in the Combine for three centuries to a basic non-Combine House (or Rasalhague) list, the universal merc/salvage/Periphery junker exceptions (which are just as applicable to the Enforcer, Dragon, Commando etc) noted.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My introduction to Battletech was the original MechWarrior and the first mech in that you can pilot is a Jenner. That makes the Jenner a Davion mech in my humble opinion. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Man that was a fun game. I played it on some ancient-rear end Tandy that was so slow that you had to initialize the mission then go and do something else for five minutes while plodding into combat range the moment you stopped using light mechs.