Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

A barrier to me playing again is that Geralt is this 100+ year old veteran monster slayer that still needs to level up to gain basic abilities. Dealing with XP and the tedious ability/mutagen management system just pisses me off because its so nonsensical and restrictive. I love that there is a lot of content and want to play the game, but any time I start it up I realize I need to interact with the skill system, sigh, and turn it back off.

Tbh level ups happen so infrequently, at least at my pace of play, that even if I get frustated figuring out the systems it's only once every 2-3 play sessions.

Sidenote, this is how the game got better for me too because I'm not chasing level ups. Like I knew just killing every thing doesn't generate XP or any real useful reward, but I still did it out of habit. Once I deprogrammed myself, the game got a lot more enjoyable. Just gonna run past your stank rear end, Water Hag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I wish I could bring Yontek back to kaer morhen and employ him as the castle idiot

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

A barrier to me playing again is that Geralt is this 100+ year old veteran monster slayer that still needs to level up to gain basic abilities. Dealing with XP and the tedious ability/mutagen management system just pisses me off because its so nonsensical and restrictive. I love that there is a lot of content and want to play the game, but any time I start it up I realize I need to interact with the skill system, sigh, and turn it back off.

I love leveling up and becoming more OP, and I'm fine with any handwavey (or nonexistent) explanation why Geralt has to start at level 1 again.
But then again I like RPG mechanics in general, without them the combat would be mind-numbingly boring after 100 hours.
I also liked the mutagen system though IMO having a skill system that arbitrarily reduces the number of skills you can actually benefit from wasn't a good idea in the first place. I much prefer 1 and 2 in that regard.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 15, 2019

DanZX
May 5, 2015

I have a job, a wife, and 2 kids, and I enjoyed the poo poo out of the base game and the DLCs, doing most side quests (except those fuckin treasure hunts in Skellige).
It’s a huge game, and it took me like almost 2 years (took a break after the main game, then a smaller break after HoS) to finish but it was just the best and I love it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

fickle poofterist posted:

I wish I could bring Yontek back to kaer morhen and employ him as the castle idiot

But Lambert's already there :confused:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

I admit the skill slot thing is a little annoying if only because you have to spend tons of points on several skills to level up to higher skills and then you can't use all the skills you have to buy under that setup. As it was I grabbed a mod to make the non-colored abilities not require a slot because having little side things like that require the same space as a major ability (and gimp your mutagen benefits as I understand it) was just too much for me. I'm not against Geralt having to level up as a rule really since it's kind of an RPG core thing anyway, and the power curve feels relatively shallow (as it should really; I appreciate even top tier Geralt feels like a guy with a lot of abilities he can leverage against nasty things who can still be taken down by mistakes (or pitchfork in moment of mercy)).

Just got through Battle of Kaer Morhen and some of the followup, really great stuff. Wish there was a game command to pour out some White Gull for Vesemir, he avoided the usual mentor occupational hazard for several books and games but can't fault him for how he chose to finally bite the dust. Kinda sad it's pretty obvious what's left of the School of the Wolf is dying with him since it sounds like all the other witchers are pretty much splitting up for good judging by Eskel and Lambert's comments. At least killing Imlerith was worth it, I about cheered when Geralt set his face on fire then grabbed the mace :black101:. Whole thing felt as epic as it should have been, very good use of showing over telling too (love the forest fight showing the witchers just turning into whirling death fans back to back, also got a kick out of Letho dealing with a "danger close" fireball by just casually dragging a Wild Huntsman on top of him for cover).

The world jumping quest with Avall'ch had some AMAZING scenery, especially the sky in the desert world area and the Aen Elle homeworld as a whole. Kinda wonder what CD Projekt Red could do if they went into making a space sci-fi game sometime.

Well, think at this point I'm finishing up the main quest completely before I touch the DLC, it really feels like the story is too tight to divert now anyway even though I can. The DLC is gonna have a heck of a lot to live up to story-wise though, main game's been great.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
All the posts about how the quality and lack of grindy bullshit make it actually very good for working gamers make sense.

MadDogMike posted:

At least killing Imlerith was worth it, I about cheered when Geralt set his face on fire then grabbed the mace :black101:.

The DLC is gonna have a heck of a lot to live up to story-wise though, main game's been great.

hit him with the good ol' toasty helmet

imo, HoS has the best major storyline and B&W has side quests even better than the base game. The devs just kinda went wild with B&W since it's really an epilogue and love-letter to the series, it's loaded with pop culture references and silly fun stuff.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

Kinda sad it's pretty obvious what's left of the School of the Wolf is dying with him since it sounds like all the other witchers are pretty much splitting up for good judging by Eskel and Lambert's comments.

To be honest, the school has been dying since at least Witcher 1 when they lost their ability to create new witchers. And that's on top of the general decline of the witcher profession.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

What basic skills do you gain from levelling up? I genuinely can't recall any.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Alchenar posted:

What basic skills do you gain from levelling up? I genuinely can't recall any.

whirl, aka gently caress these wolves and nekkers

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Using whirl on single enemies is also fine because it looks awesome

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
This is the most encouraged I've been by the screenshots: https://io9.gizmodo.com/of-course-of-course-henry-cavills-on-a-horse-1836409634

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

They've surely taken the feedback ("feedback") they received to heart, it looks much better now.

edit: With Cavill reportedly having only went for the role because he read all the books and really liked them, and adding that the silver sword is being stashed on Roach, I think it's gonna be pretty faithful and hopefully he'll turn in a good performance.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 16, 2019

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Feedback from the screen test? I don't understand why they released that in the first place because those almost always look pretty awful, to be honest.

I do wonder, considering how grounded the designs have been so far, how the Nilfgaardian armor fits into that. What they showed* seemed to be far more fantastical and more appropriate for, say, the Wild Hunt, but then again, it might be some kind of distorted flashback/nightmare sequence from Ciri's pov (I think someone here in the SA thread suggested it first?)

* well, what leaked, really

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m still of the mindset that what we saw of Nilf’s armor is not the final design by a long shot and folks are getting worked up over nothing. St least I sure hope so!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do think gerslt's outfit looks a little silly but then again the way sapkowski described his jacket as being all black and covered in silver studs, so it's accurate to the book.

(I also think the kaer morhen/ Viper armor looks like a bondage daddy harness with the weird as hell chainmail shoulder pads, but that's beside the point, even if keeping mail rigid like that defeats its intended function)

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 17, 2019

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Henry Cavill's extremely dorky fanboying is quite endearing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

My girlfriend's Witcher playthrough continues to be filled with Geralt showing up to important occasions nude

edit: She's also slamming erveluce so that he stays drunk the entire time

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Blessed.

One time I couldn't find where I was supposed to meet Yen in Novigrad because the mini map is bad and I'm running around and in and out of this whore house in a confused fashion, so finally I decide to just get laid instead and come down afterwards in my undies and realise that yen has been there the whole time staring at me coolly from the corner of the room

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

sebmojo posted:

Blessed.

One time I couldn't find where I was supposed to meet Yen in Novigrad because the mini map is bad and I'm running around and in and out of this whore house in a confused fashion, so finally I decide to just get laid instead and come down afterwards in my undies and realise that yen has been there the whole time staring at me coolly from the corner of the room

Classic Yen...

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

GrossMurpel posted:

To be honest, the school has been dying since at least Witcher 1 when they lost their ability to create new witchers. And that's on top of the general decline of the witcher profession.

Yeah, but dying out one by one, while tragic, isn’t as sad as them just splitting up and most likely never seeing each other again, which is the feeling I got from the end of the battle conversations. Kinda stung a bit meeting the lady in HoS who knew Vesemir too. On the other hand, I got Ciri as a witcher so I suppose the Wolf school isn’t QUITE dead; like the callback to the story in the books where Geralt suggested the witchers knew a Child of Destiny wouldn’t need mutations to be a witcher (not to mention using the title of said story as the achievement name for finding Ciri).

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Also for looking drat cool and loving up anything going for your back, though building the adrenaline is a pain sometimes for me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I do think gerslt's outfit looks a little silly but then again the way sapkowski described his jacket as being all black and covered in silver studs, so it's accurate to the book.

Game Wolf armor kind of has the same studded gloves for punching thing the books have too.

sebmojo posted:

LOL, was tempted to do that deliberately myself, but saw some notes about her occasionally bugging out so decided not to risk it just in case.

As mentioned above, beat the main story and am into HoS, just finished the heist. Ciri became a witcher, finally got a proper “gently caress all nobles” ending by boosting Dijkstra and getting Radovid and Emhyr killed off. Sorry Roche, between that and siding with Iorveth/sparing Letho last game I bet you wish you never gave Geralt that key at the beginning of Witcher 2. Romanced Yen, I’ve been reading the books enough she’s starting to grow on me and it felt like a good ending.

HoS is interesting definitely. Glad I decided my Geralt would play pissed off enough I got to fight Olgierd, that was a great boss fight. His “powers” were close enough to Geralt’s own that it felt like a fight against a peer rather than dealing with yet another overpowered giant boss. The wedding quest was a lot of fun up until Gaunter tortured that poor ghost. Between that and the whole “meet me at the crossroads at midnight thing to make a deal” it’s pretty obvious who HE is, just hope I don’t get a fiddle rhythm game later or something. Killed everybody at the heist pretty much, trying to weasel on me after killing a ton of people was too much to tolerate so both brothers bought it. Just got the Ofieri gear but it just doesn’t work for Geralt’s look sadly. On the other hand my idea to wear the Professor’s glasses along with Ursine gear was perfect for planning the heist, Geralt had the perfect “criminal mastermind” appearance going for him.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
they specifically let you buy leon's sunglasses for the heist mission

but then they take the sunglasses off when you change into your ninja gear

:thunk:

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

The sunglasses are awful anyway and need to be disposed of as soon as you get them, hth

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fickle poofterist posted:

The sunglasses are awful anyway and need to be disposed of as soon as you get them, hth
Source your quotes.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Geralt with glasses, beard, and Griffin armor for maximum Dad vibes imo

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Geralt's glasses are good actually. (sorry for poor picture quality)

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Wolf armor looks so good.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

NG+ is fun because you keep your found formulae for potions and such and get to start the game with cool shades and rear end ears.

I just started my first Ng+ with a save where I had finished HoS (I completed the game twice before HoS came out, once on normal and once on death march, then used my dm save to do Ng+ with both expansions, and recently went back to my normal save and did HoS again) and starting off with the ears and shades owns.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I just realized that drowners make a noise from Fallout 2's geckos, and basilisks make a noise from Morrowind's cliff racers. Now I can't unhear it. Please help.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/witchernetflix/status/1152337568165289984

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Gotta say, I liked what I saw there. I'm guessing Geralt is supposed to be toxic from potions in that ending shot?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Trailer on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSqi-8kAMmM

Yeah, I'd say that shot is full-tox mode Geralt.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m at full mast. This looks great!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Megazver posted:

Trailer on Youtube:

:asoiaf:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

looks good, better than i thought it would be.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
It's been a long time since I read the books but it looks like they won't be just doing Last Wish and Sword of Destiny. I recognized some stuff, like Blaviken (I think?), Brokilon, and scenes from the First Nilfgaard War, but a lot of it looked new.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man it won’t be the same without the va he has in the games

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Megazver posted:

Trailer on Youtube:

Was that a Thanedd and a Lodge? I thought this was just the short stories.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That honestly looks and mainly sounds like total melodramatic trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The trailer has given me hope that this won't be a miserable trainwreck.

Obviously it could still be trash but the odds of something good feel a bit better.