Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Game is still pretty:

Getting trains and nuclear power up and running was fun, but the real wonderfully complicated mess for me is going to be those turbo motors up and running. The production for that looks insane.

My biggest mistake with nuclear was using my main rail line to transport uranium cells into my base. Now my whole railway station is contaminated! Who could have foreseen such a turn of events! In retrospect I should have used my train to send the other fuel rod components out to my uranium mine in the swamp and kept all the dirtiness out there.

But on the other hand, the cooling towers looming over my base look awesome.

An updated map:

Modest contrast to the one I posted earlier. It's fun to keep a record of the changes. I've already got the basics of aluminum going and a new oil outpost dedicated to rubber, so getting turbo motors going will probably just make the new, currently empty eastern half of my base as crowded as the old western half. I hope it all fits, as I've basically covered all the flat land in the area with at least the outline of foundations now.

Eiba posted:

Factories are a lot messier when you don't make them in the southern plains. I ended up choosing a really cramped valley in the forest start.

That's a "complete" factory, cranking out supercomputers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I've been going slightly crazy trying to split things optimally, but I was playing with a buddy yesterday who just ran a high tier belt in a straight line and threw a splitter down on it with a tier 1 belt leading to each machine, like this:

^
|
--->
|
--->
|
--->
|

And it actually seemed pretty genius. Is there a reason this is bad? I realise the second machine in line won't get any resources until the first machine input is saturated and so on down the line, but if I'm consuming the outputs that should happen naturally over time until every machine is running at capacity, right?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it works great and i'd say the recommended way of doing things until you're working with numbers higher than a single belt can handle. if you have a mk2 belt that can move 120 items per minute, that setup can handle 4 constructors that consume at 30 per minute.

once you need more than 4 constructors, or you need to do anything with screws, things get a little more complicated

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Don't bother with perfect splits, the only advantage a perfect split has is that all your machines reach full efficiency at the same time. Overflow splitting means there is a run-in period where some machines are not fully efficient, but as long as you expect your production line to run for longer than 30 minutes it's not a problem. Or you can manually prime all the machines with input materials.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jack the Lad posted:

And it actually seemed pretty genius. Is there a reason this is bad? I realise the second machine in line won't get any resources until the first machine input is saturated and so on down the line, but if I'm consuming the outputs that should happen naturally over time until every machine is running at capacity, right?

I have been using this almost from the very beginning and it's served me well. It will give your machines a bit of a ramp up time as you have to wait for the materials to completely overflow in the first machine before it starts filling the others but that is a one time thing.

If you run into an issue where you need more than 1 belt of throughput I just make stackable conveyors and merge a second line down into the first after certain intervals. You can even setup an overflow belt at the end of your machines where you merge any excess materials back to your input belt, but I usually setup dedicated lines for everything so I haven't needed that yet.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
I frankly find it a bit annoying (even though in practice it's probably benificial) how all machine have a full stack of buffer on all inputs and outputs. Makes it harder to figure out where bottlenecks are (and they propagate very slowly if something's previously been backed up).

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

thark posted:

I frankly find it a bit annoying (even though in practice it's probably benificial) how all machine have a full stack of buffer on all inputs and outputs. Makes it harder to figure out where bottlenecks are (and they propagate very slowly if something's previously been backed up).

In factorio, the machines have an input buffer of one craft's worth, and I like that a lot better.

The full stack of buffer increases the latency between doing something and seeing the result of it.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

In factorio, the machines have an input buffer of one craft's worth, and I like that a lot better.

The full stack of buffer increases the latency between doing something and seeing the result of it.

Not wholly true. Inserters have a built-in logic condition to not insert any materials over 1.5 craft's worth of materials to an assembler, however the assembler will happily take up to two full stacks of materials and churn through them.

Since the factories in Satisfactory are fed with belts rater than a mechanical inserter, it sort of makes sense that it's filling up a slot. A great QOL change would be a toggle on any machine to allow inputs to stack beyond x number of crafts for the recipe selected, with default to 1.5x.

Maybe a slider (since those are in already) unlocked by research/tiers?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Literally anything to actually control the flow of materials would be nice. It seems like the devs only considered making a whole new assembly line for every new thing you get which bores me. I want to make a complex factory.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Literally anything to actually control the flow of materials would be nice. It seems like the devs only considered making a whole new assembly line for every new thing you get which bores me. I want to make a complex factory.

Yup, if there's one thing I want before I pick this game back up its advanced control logic.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
So what are the tricks for not having 10-15FPS? Got a P3200 Quadro and a E-2176M Xeon. Getting horrible FPS as I've been going alone and now under 15fps. I'm working my way through putting walls up around everything in the base but it's really grindy.

I'm hearing long belts are an issue so i'm going to work on moving to trucks/trains when i can but anything else?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Considering that is a laptop and a workstation GPU, it could be several things.

Either the drivers are poo poo for gaming, which is very likely.
Or the entire thing is overheating.
The CPU is also clocked really low, the 6/12 cores/threads won't do much at low clock speed.

Or it could just be that your base is to big for the computer to handle.

Try turning down the settings and see if it helps.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What's the best way to vertically stack belts (just run 2+ one atop the other in the same footprint)?

I've been stacking mergers on top of each other and running belts from merger to merger along the line but I assume there's a better way.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
There is a belt stacking structure in logistics. Literally for what you're doing.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

necrotic posted:

There is a belt stacking structure in logistics. Literally for what you're doing.

Cool, awesome. I'm dumb :shobon:

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Jack the Lad posted:

Cool, awesome. I'm dumb :shobon:

You're a goon. It's what we do.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Second base is taking a long time to build, but should be much more organized.

So far I've got wire, cable, screws, rods, plates, and cement all filtering to a central hub for buffering purposes. Oil is being shipped in from the western islands via train, although I haven't set up processing of plastic or rubber yet. Once I set up all the 'basic' products, I've got a bunch of room to expand to the west for the complex manufacturing.

The one problem with the desert base is a lack of quartz. Since there's a great node really close to the uranium, I'm thinking I'll run a second train up there, trading back and forth quartz and the parts needed to make uranium control rods?

One quick question: am I right in assuming the trains on schedules will never drive backwards? You have to put a loop into the end of each line, or it'll get stuck?

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Bobulus posted:

One quick question: am I right in assuming the trains on schedules will never drive backwards? You have to put a loop into the end of each line, or it'll get stuck?

Double-headers work as far as I could tell.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So I accidentally irradiated my central train station because I underestimated how radioactive a whole ton of uranium cells sitting on the platform would be, right?

Turns out it's not the radiation that kills you, it's the hazmat suit you forget to replace with your jetpack before using a jump pad to navigate your factory.

Being at the apex of a jump and hitting the space bar to hover to your destination and nothing happening gives you a real sinking feeling in your gut.

Bobulus posted:

I've had success making a train go back and forth with an engine facing each way. I also read that engines contribute to the power of a train no matter which way they're facing, so I guess a double headed train will work well? I've been making loops to avoid testing this, after a double ended train I made ended up being kind of bad at going up hill.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Any discord for the game ?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Anyone want to fart around in co-op?

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

mpyro posted:

Any discord for the game ?

Don't know how active it is, but https://discord.gg/Gz9d3Q

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

sloshmonger posted:

Don't know how active it is, but https://discord.gg/Gz9d3Q

Thank you

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
Link broken already?

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

Beccara posted:

Link broken already?

Depends on the server, but Discord invite links usually expire after 24 hours. You'll have to wait/ask for a new invite link, or hope that the server one day appears here: https://goondiscordnetwork.com/

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Eternal links can be made by the server owner/depending on server permissions. Could have one of those in the OP, though I think typically that isn't done to avoid non-goons/spambots flooding the server

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Here's one that doesnt expire

https://discord.gg/VkDu8eJ

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
My god, this game is addictive. I have not been this "zoned in" to a game since I played Minecraft back in Alpha. I missed out on Factorio somehow so I also picked it up for when I've just got my laptop and it scratches that exact same itch.

There's just something incredibly satisfying about setting up a complex production line and watching it work, and then being able to walk up to each machine to check its production stats.

On that note, I am having load balancing issues coming out of production lines. I have never seen a better metaphor for network bandwidth management before the days of fast connections than trying to balance the production of screws when the source is not a saturated Industrial Storage unit. For some reason the storage unit does not work like a splitter when empty and will instead saturate one of its outbound nodes before alternating to the second.

I have been trying to break up my production so that I pool identical resources into Industrial Storage. From there my intention was to have a buffer in case the previous line fails to saturate current demand. My trouble comes from the fact that splitters end up ruining things downline. From my storage, the first few machines get saturated, but the 3rd and 4th barely make Just In Time demand.

Any advice here, or do I really have to set up my lines such that each machine needs a direct feed from the prior resource?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

If the supply going into the storage is slightly more than the demand leaving storage, eventually all the lines will saturate, regardless of how many splitters there are. That's my plan.

I'm currently setting up a second base isn't resources harvested by the first base. I'm setting up the storage containers as you are, and an about halfway through the basic stuff. Example: for a complete turbo motor pipeline, I'll need about 1500 copper wire per minute. I've got iron and copper and steel set-up, and an now working on gold, aluminum, and crystal.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Been enjoying the game quite a bit. It is gorgeous looking, and the world is pretty fun to explore. I feel like it has two main shortcomings compared to factorio though. Firstly, scaling up is tedious. I am not even saying that it needs factorio's complete blueprint system either, as there are plenty of people who just stamp down blueprints without understanding them. I would be perfectly happy with an in-game copy/paste type tool. Just let me place down clones of setups I've already made in that game.

I suppose that with the current system there is rarely a reason to scale up beyond being able to run one of each of the factories building end-game products. You can always just alt-tab out and let resources build up while it runs. I guess that gets me to the next point.

I feel like the game is lacking is a consistent resource sink. Factorio has the science packs, which tend to be the main consumer that keeps the factory flowing. It even has infinite research to keep things flowing at the end. Without something like that, resources just tend to get full and back up. My thought is that the consistent resource sink should probably be related to the space elevator. Maybe have it require a steady stream of resources at a certain rate to unlock tiers or bonuses or something.

Alternate recipies are neat, and quite useful. They also make me want to put off building and go out exploring, as I feel like I would rather have those alternate recipes sooner rather than later. Once I research the beatstick I feel like the factory goes on hold while I go out and do some looting.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 19, 2019

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Continuous input rates of certain products to keep a tier unlocked for use, with leapfrogging permanence of tiers? to unlock tier 2 you need to input 120 plates/wires/gubbins a minute, then tier 3 needs three tier 2 gubbins a minute. If you maintain both tier 2 & 3, then tier 2 unlocks permanently, freeing up the belt intakes for tier 4 gubbins. All the way up till you're having to generate 120 super computers a minute or whatever.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Really I'd just settle for some kind of Builder's Chest that would provide materials for anything built within range so I don't have to keep that poo poo in my personal inventory or having to run all over my factory grabbing materials manually.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I'd really like for there to be a system of randomized deliveries (maybe rewarding overclock shards, hard drives, or some sort of currency) or for the game to move toward optimized output rather than rewarding you for leaving your computer running overnight like some sort of more-useless Bitcoin rig. Hopefully whatever final project the game has will be sufficiently large and complicated to make me want to expand my factory and go out into the wild to get additional resources, a la the rocket in Factorio. Otherwise, you can pretty easily get away with clearing all the tiers on one base with pure iron nodes.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Don't forget, the flimsy lore the game has states that your goal as Ficsit employee/property is to provide resources for Project Assembly. Currently we know essentially nothing about what that is, so perhaps it's the ultimate resource sink we'll get once the game is feature complete and ready to leave early access.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

My god, this game is addictive. I have not been this "zoned in" to a game since I played Minecraft back in Alpha. I missed out on Factorio somehow so I also picked it up for when I've just got my laptop and it scratches that exact same itch.

There's just something incredibly satisfying about setting up a complex production line and watching it work, and then being able to walk up to each machine to check its production stats.

On that note, I am having load balancing issues coming out of production lines. I have never seen a better metaphor for network bandwidth management before the days of fast connections than trying to balance the production of screws when the source is not a saturated Industrial Storage unit. For some reason the storage unit does not work like a splitter when empty and will instead saturate one of its outbound nodes before alternating to the second.

I have been trying to break up my production so that I pool identical resources into Industrial Storage. From there my intention was to have a buffer in case the previous line fails to saturate current demand. My trouble comes from the fact that splitters end up ruining things downline. From my storage, the first few machines get saturated, but the 3rd and 4th barely make Just In Time demand.

Any advice here, or do I really have to set up my lines such that each machine needs a direct feed from the prior resource?

this a really good tool. Granted it suffers from being a pain in the dick to use sometimes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jagged Jim posted:

Really I'd just settle for some kind of Builder's Chest that would provide materials for anything built within range so I don't have to keep that poo poo in my personal inventory or having to run all over my factory grabbing materials manually.

You have to build a mall, man. That is one of the challenges.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

My Spirit Otter posted:

this a really good tool. Granted it suffers from being a pain in the dick to use sometimes.

Thanks so much for this! It’s exactly what I was looking for RE output dispersion.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Base 2 is making progress! I've got oil, bauxite, and crystal on the train, and aluminum plate production automated. Steel production is like half done, and then gold wire will be easy. Then I can start planning the complex production paths...

Edit: Setting up a train to delivery fuel rod parts to a future distant nuclear reactor.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 21, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tre desert start isn’t low on biomass at all and is close to three pure coal nodes !!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

euphronius posted:

Tre desert start isn’t low on biomass at all and is close to three pure coal nodes !!

Yeah I wound up building my one desert landing base on a platform out over a big forest with a nice stream running through it.

Well. A big partial forest anyway. ~Something~ happened to a big chunk of it!