Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

McKays/Mr K's are beautiful places.

EDIT: That's my snipe and I'm stickin' to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
im The Glowing Nudes

edit: Yeah, avoided the snipe for once!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Was the Bell Witch a sex thing. I thought it was just a spooky voice and some levitating stuff.

This reminds me of an extremely terrible book by a dude who was obsessed with the Bell Witch and with having sex with angels.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

"The Skulls That Had Sex" sounds pretty straightforward, dunno why it needs an entire chapter.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

"The Skulls That Had Sex" sounds pretty straightforward, dunno why it needs an entire chapter.

It's for the Skulla Sutra.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Where's the masturbating ghost monkey?

:sad:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Krankenstyle posted:

Where's the masturbating ghost monkey?

:sad:

turn off your monitor

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ravished by a Glass Tube in the Tower of London, by Charles Tingleton Esq.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Screaming Idiot posted:

turn off your monitor

Rude!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

There’s a Goodreads review that says the chapters are short and it’s pretty dry reading, accounts of hauntings that are sexual in nature, the most disturbing aspects being what supposedly caused the hauntings in the first place.

grittyreboot posted:

I ordered it. I need to read Archibald's Orgy In Hell

Please do a trip report after you’ve read some!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

This is available to 'borrow' from Archive.org

https://archive.org/details/sexualhauntingst00coli

of course you have to read it within 14 days and then 'return' the book

NoneMoreNegative has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Jul 20, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

They had a lot of sex.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Spectre That Saved A City and somehow sex is involved? Where do I get the movie rights?

Saving the city with ghost boning, it's like a Ghostbusters spinoff.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Spectre That Saved A City and somehow sex is involved? Where do I get the movie rights?

Saving the city with ghost boning, it's like a Ghostbusters spinoff.

Marvel Comics presents WHAT IF---?! the GhostbustersTM Failed and Ghost Rider had to Bone the Stay PuftTM Marshmallow Man out of Existence?

e: Story by Roy Thomas, Art by Bill Sienkiewicz special guest artist Fred Hembeck

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Jul 22, 2019

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jerry Cotton posted:

They had a lot of sex.

Can you imagine trying to sleep with what sounds like horse-clop coconuts in the attic all night?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Can you imagine trying to sleep with what sounds like horse-clop coconuts in the attic all night?

OK, if that helps :confused:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Marvel Comics presents WHAT IF---?! the GhostbustersTM Failed and Ghost Rider had to Bone the Stay PuftTM Marshmallow Man out of Existence?

e: Story by Roy Thomas, Art by Bill Sienkiewicz special guest artist Fred Hembeck

I'm pretty sure this is an anime by Trigger. At least if you combine Panty and Stocking and that one skeleton cop show.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I was told to come here to tell you of Stravlin Black. It's a book written by a guy I used to work with. He asked me to check it out and review it. It is an absolutely terrible book. The story is pretty much "we created a cool all-black skeleton at this military research lab, but now it escaped and is pulling people's skeletons out through their mouths." I think it's free with Kindle unlimited it you hate yourself. Buck fifteen if you hate yourself even more.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Untrustable posted:

I was told to come here to tell you of Stravlin Black. It's a book written by a guy I used to work with. He asked me to check it out and review it. It is an absolutely terrible book. The story is pretty much "we created a cool all-black skeleton at this military research lab, but now it escaped and is pulling people's skeletons out through their mouths." I think it's free with Kindle unlimited it you hate yourself. Buck fifteen if you hate yourself even more.

> Whisspy Willows

holy poo poo, got me in the first sentence

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

stravlin black is powerful and my friend

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Untrustable posted:

Is he a decent person otherwise? Because whew, that’s bad.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve been listening to I Don’t Even Own a Television and their Girl with the Dragon Tattoo reminded me of how intensely lovely that book is. I forgot all about the endless, endless dry descriptions of stuff that straight up doesn’t matter.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve been listening to I Don’t Even Own a Television and their Girl with the Dragon Tattoo reminded me of how intensely lovely that book is. I forgot all about the endless, endless dry descriptions of stuff that straight up doesn’t matter.

A very VERY slow burn book.

And even then it's more a weird smell coming from an outlet than an actual fire.

I think it worked much better as a movie because they could go from murder to kicking dildos into evil dude's rear end to getting shot at to solving a mystery without a whole lot of that newspaper poo poo in between.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Elpato posted:

A very VERY slow burn book.

And even then it's more a weird smell coming from an outlet than an actual fire.

I think it worked much better as a movie because they could go from murder to kicking dildos into evil dude's rear end to getting shot at to solving a mystery without a whole lot of that newspaper poo poo in between.

What really drives me up a wall is that the core mystery is so easily solved. Then whenever characters say Maybe Harriet is still alive, they’re told that’s impossible... and then she’s still alive! When you’re writing a mystery book you should at least try to make the mystery part not terrible.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

Is he a decent person otherwise? Because whew, that’s bad.

He's a 40 year-old shut-in with mental problems. So he's strange but not a bad dude at all. His writing is just bad. I haven't worked with him in 7 years and then he just hits me up to read this book because I was "published" once. I put published in quotations because I used to write for Cracked and some bits of my articles got put in a book they published years ago.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What really drives me up a wall is that the core mystery is so easily solved. Then whenever characters say Maybe Harriet is still alive, they’re told that’s impossible... and then she’s still alive! When you’re writing a mystery book you should at least try to make the mystery part not terrible.

A sporking blog doing the Twilight series refers to this as “Dead Herrings.” You want to misdirect the reader but can’t come up with any plausible alternate explanation, so you just have the book bring up what the reveal is and then have the characters go “No, that’s impossible!” until the reveal confirms that yes, it is possible.

It’s one of the many techniques Stephenie Meyer used to pad out the series. I’m regretting doing a Let’s Read because they just drag and drag. It took almost 80 pages just for Eclipse to reveal the plot.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THis conversation reminds me of the one time that idea was used well, in the first PS4 remake of Shadow Warrior. About halfway through the game, Wang asks the demon possessing him if it's possible he has amnesia because he wiped his own memories. He claims that that's impossible. However, later in the game, that is revealed to have been the actual thing that happened. He simply forgot he did so, and as he wiped his memory he couldn't think of a reason that he'd have wiped his own memory so he just dismissed the idea.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Horrible tangent, but yea the Shadow Warrior remake suddenly dropped a whole lot more character development in the final third of the game than anyone was expecting. It was far better done than it had any right or need to be.

Back on track, how do people feel about the whole "Oh, it was all it dream!" twist used in the final moments of a story? I understand it was more common a long time ago (eg Alice in Wonderland) and the same source wrote how its really fallen out of favor as modern audiences hate it. This came up in a non-book medium, where several people where complaining about how it essentially wrote off any prior events. I'd like to hear other's takes on it.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Serephina posted:

Back on track, how do people feel about the whole "Oh, it was all it dream!" twist used in the final moments of a story? I understand it was more common a long time ago (eg Alice in Wonderland) and the same source wrote how its really fallen out of favor as modern audiences hate it. This came up in a non-book medium, where several people where complaining about how it essentially wrote off any prior events. I'd like to hear other's takes on it.

One of the worst possible ways to end a story.

If you're undermining assumptions that the reader has made throughout the story, you drat well be making things more interesting, not less.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Djeser posted:

One of the worst possible ways to end a story.

If you're undermining assumptions that the reader has made throughout the story, you drat well be making things more interesting, not less.

I think it's been done well approximately once, in Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, where the focus is more on "if you wake up, all these people will stop existing"

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Qwertycoatl posted:

I think it's been done well approximately once, in Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, where the focus is more on "if you wake up, all these people will stop existing"

I think the reason it works in that instance is it's not a twist at the eleventh hour -- it's introduced midway through the game, and the focus of the game is on whether Link can (and should) escape the dream. So when you succeed and the dream ends, the focus of the story and the choices made are still valid and relevant.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Oh Christ yes. I gave up when it started going on about the specs of a protagonist's macbook and just flicked through the rest because I hate not finishing a book, but I should have just pitched it out the train window instead.

Qwertycoatl posted:

That's not really a twist at the end though, you're explicitly told the island's the Wind Fish's dream during the game. I can think of some entertaining dreamland novels; Lovecraft's The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, Jonathan Carroll's Bones of the Moon, Cathering Storr's Marianne Dreams etc, but again they're explicitly dreams from the start.

I'm fond of John Masefield's kids' book The Box of Delights, but even as a kid the "and then he woke up on the train he was on at the start and it was all a dream" ending seriously pissed me off. It's just a cop-out. An easy ending when a writer can't think of a proper one.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

Weakest form of misdirection because it not only undoes everything that happened, but deprives it of any meaning or importance. It only works in horror and horror-adjacent fantasy stuff as 1. a reassurance that all the weird and scary poo poo is not real so chill out audience, or 2. to undermine a safe ending with the twist that people are still in danger/the scary thing is still out there. But even that stuff is pretty trite by this point.

Actually The Dark is Rising series had kind of a neat twist on it where the protagonists were given a choice whether to bring the fantasy they'd been dealing with into reality, or let it fade off into myth, and they chose the latter.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Runcible Cat posted:

Oh Christ yes. I gave up when it started going on about the specs of a protagonist's macbook and just flicked through the rest because I hate not finishing a book, but I should have just pitched it out the train window instead.

Did you make it to the part where he talks about his word processor and his internal monologue has a link to the word processor itself? It was baffling. Why would you put that in there?

chitoryu12 posted:

A sporking blog doing the Twilight series refers to this as “Dead Herrings.” You want to misdirect the reader but can’t come up with any plausible alternate explanation, so you just have the book bring up what the reveal is and then have the characters go “No, that’s impossible!” until the reveal confirms that yes, it is possible.

Dead herring is such a good term for it. It’s so obnoxious and I have no idea how that kind of stuff makes it into published books.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Serephina posted:

Back on track, how do people feel about the whole "Oh, it was all it dream!" twist used in the final moments of a story?
It's fine so long as the events of the story still mean something. Like, if the protagonist learned and grew through the experience.

It's terrible if it's just a way to say "I know this story made no sense, but I'm not going to explain any of it."

The question isn't "was it all a dream?" it's "is there any reason to care about what just happened?" If it was just some weird stuff the author came up with and threw together for no reason then, whether they say it was a dream or not, the answer is no.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's an example of it done well in the Archie Sonic comics. There's one character who's had half her limbs turned into robot limbs, and in one story the rest of her starts turning into robot parts too, which means she'll be under the villain's control and all her friends will be in danger. At the end of the story, she wakes up and she's fine, but the point is that we learn this is something she's worrying about all the time. The actual events didn't matter, but we get an insight into what's going on in her head from it.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Dabir posted:

the Archie Sonic comics.

Why did you tell me about this

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's done quite well in Trixie Slaughteraxe For President. The characters eventually realise that they are a simulation of the future, and that by terminating the simulation they can send a single brief message back to their real selves

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

The Lone Badger posted:

It's done quite well in Trixie Slaughteraxe For President. The characters eventually realise that they are a simulation of the future, and that by terminating the simulation they can send a single brief message back to their real selves

:eyepop: I read it when it first started but then I stopped for some reason, but now I guess I need to get caught up on it. I love how that guy's comics are just an endless series of absurdities that compound and pile on top of each other in perfectly logical ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I was actually impressed by how well it was handled in Boku no Harem: Perfect Ravish. When you lose your last nekomeido and get a game over, there's a cutscene of you waking up in bed with all eight still happily snuggling you and sucking you off.