Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

sorry, i used a lot of words but missed the important stuff apparently. sorry about that!

my place is supposed to come with central air conditioning. a big, outdoor HVAC system. the landlord says they're waiting for their contractor to install it. in the meantime, they've lent us a window air unit. the only room that can take a window unit is the master bedroom. All of the other windows open with a crank left to right instead of up and down. so, only one bedroom can be cooled off.

it sucks because it has been getting into the mid 80s in my apartment which is warm, but bareable. we've got a 100+ degree weekend coming and me, my wife, and two german shepherds are gonna hafta all spend the weekend in the bedroom. which sucks because we chose this place because it allowed dogs and has central air. which, whatever, we'll be fine. just sucks to not have a thing the landlord said we'd have and are paying for

my downstairs neighbors are a very old woman and her 65ish year old daughter, who takes care of her. the old woman has the ac, and the daughter, who has pneumonia, will either have to sleep with her mom or sweat it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

sorry, i used a lot of words but missed the important stuff apparently. sorry about that!

my place is supposed to come with central air conditioning. a big, outdoor HVAC system. the landlord says they're waiting for their contractor to install it. in the meantime, they've lent us a window air unit. the only room that can take a window unit is the master bedroom. All of the other windows open with a crank left to right instead of up and down. so, only one bedroom can be cooled off.

it sucks because it has been getting into the mid 80s in my apartment which is warm, but bareable. we've got a 100+ degree weekend coming and me, my wife, and two german shepherds are gonna hafta all spend the weekend in the bedroom. which sucks because we chose this place because it allowed dogs and has central air. which, whatever, we'll be fine. just sucks to not have a thing the landlord said we'd have and are paying for

my downstairs neighbors are a very old woman and her 65ish year old daughter, who takes care of her. the old woman has the ac, and the daughter, who has pneumonia, will either have to sleep with her mom or sweat it out

you said you moved in back in March

now we're in the second half of July, four months later

and installation work hasn't even started yet on the central air conditioning that was advertised

have you considered that maybe the landlord is a liar who was never going to install central air?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

it crossed my mind, yeah. the carbon copy building next door has it though and they own the whole neighborhood, so :shrug:

e: currently 84 in my apt lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Buy another window unit and a dehumidifier you're never gonna get central air there and you shouldn't have believed their lies

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

i cant because only the master bedroom has windows that open up and down. I've been owned

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Eat This Glob posted:

i cant because only the master bedroom has windows that open up and down. I've been owned

You can get a portable unit then for horizontal sliding windows. They aren't as efficient and are louder... but worth it in a case like this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Eat This Glob posted:

Kill your landlord and live in his house

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Geez, that's really rude. Why not let the old lady with pneumonia live in the dead landlord's house?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Raldikuk posted:

You can get a portable unit then for horizontal sliding windows. They aren't as efficient and are louder... but worth it in a case like this.

i had one in my last place, it worked ok. however, what I have are "awning windows" in the rest of my place. they open out at an angle and it wouldn't work :(

PostNouveau posted:

not a bad idea

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

sullat posted:

Geez, that's really rude. Why not let the old lady with pneumonia live in the dead landlord's house?

good thinking, frame it on the old lady..

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Googled my landlords name and found this: http://www.richdadbarcelona.com/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eat This Glob posted:

i had one in my last place, it worked ok. however, what I have are "awning windows" in the rest of my place. they open out at an angle and it wouldn't work :(

not a bad idea

bag of ice in a big bowl/ice chest with a desk fan over it

Serf
May 5, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Kill your landlord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR2VDqr9koI

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Appetizer:

Main course:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

hot weekend update: it is 2230 and it is 88 f/31 c

may my landlord be stung on the taint by a thousand wasps. i also think my sick/elderly downstairs neighbors went elsewhere for the weekend as their car was gone, so that's good

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

Gunshow Poophole posted:

While I'm here: in some Better News about landlords, my class action lawsuit against Steve Croman (public enemy #2 or #3 behind JKush here) has been certified in the court and we're going to depose his dumb rear end and serve discovery in as broad a fashion as legally allowed, as soon as possible.

what's sad and frustrating is that the best outcome is no-interest refund of rent overages and an adjusted lease with regulation for all tenants involved. No damages whatsoever.

Quoted to put this as high on a page as possible

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Eat This Glob posted:

may your landlord be stung on the taint by a thousand wasps.
- traditional CSPAM blessing

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OSlU8lYwH0

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm paying $1717 per month for a place where I can't sleep between 5:30am and 10:30pm. Going insane since I was already an insomniac. But can't complain/break lease because it is my first rental in this country and need a good reference. Why the gently caress don't landlords need references? I maybe could have avoided destroying a year of my life in this lemon of a building if they did (rhetorical question, I know why they don't)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You know I figure you mean there's like construction or bad heating or something, but when you say that I imagine some insane landlord demand that you remain awake between specific hours with an airhorn to punish violators.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Terrible Opinions posted:

You know I figure you mean there's like construction or bad heating or something, but when you say that I imagine some insane landlord demand that you remain awake between specific hours with an airhorn to punish violators.

Nah it's a commerical gym that's like 100 feet away on the floor below me. Didn't think the sound of barbells dropping would travel so far. :( The whole floor is hosed, I was wondering why I never saw/heard any neighbours.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Tubgoat posted:

- traditional CSPAM blessing

lol

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Don't forget this one

Jesus Christ :murder: this motherfucker

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you do that to the wrong person and next thing you know they're crawling through your bedroom window with a shotgun. the arrogance of these people, christ.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

so that's what landlords mean when they talk about the "risk" that makes their tyranny acceptable

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Insanite posted:

so that's what landlords mean when they talk about the "risk" that makes their tyranny acceptable

The risk that landlords take on is that they may only be 10x as rich as those they prey on instead of 100x

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm paying $1717 per month for a place where I can't sleep between 5:30am and 10:30pm. Going insane since I was already an insomniac. But can't complain/break lease because it is my first rental in this country and need a good reference. Why the gently caress don't landlords need references? I maybe could have avoided destroying a year of my life in this lemon of a building if they did (rhetorical question, I know why they don't)

Yelp has become pretty helpful in weeding out lovely landlords, I've found. The positive plant reviews are so blatantly obvious.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Terrible Opinions posted:

Politifact rates this: mostly true

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

BigWeirdSashimi posted:

Quoted to put this as high on a page as possible

we made da papers babee

*~that face when you actually spend time in jail you're so bad for your tenants~*

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Take your friend Mx. Crowbar to meet the landlord, they'll be happy to assist you whether the landlord is home or not.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sounds like an escalation to me

break her fuckin windows

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

if it was yesterday there were a bunch of localized outages in Brooklyn and Queens due to ConEd being a lovely terrible excuse for a utility company rather than lovely landlords being evil bastards but that sounds like a situation for ol' Pumpy the Shotgun

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

if it was yesterday there were a bunch of localized outages in Brooklyn and Queens due to ConEd being a lovely terrible excuse for a utility company rather than lovely landlords being evil bastards but that sounds like a situation for ol' Pumpy the Shotgun

I mean they say that they do it because the cost is unreasonable so unless they are taking the hit for some reason I doubt that is it

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

one down
thousands to go

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If you have a criminal record, you shouldn't be allowed to lease property, especially if they were white-collar crimes.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Just cut the lock off the breaker box lol, if most of the building's power is off the cameras (if they even exist lol) probably don't work, and if they do just cut those wires first

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure that's illegal as gently caress to do. Cutting the power just because, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

*sing-song* It's not illegal if you get away with it