Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

No problem if you need more space, just put a hitch on the back and get a little trailer.

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I definitely saw a dude back in 2004 or so pull up at a golf course in a Prowler. He had his clubs/shoes as well as an ice chest in the trailer!

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

dk2m posted:

I mean, if abandoning the entire engine layout isn't a generational leap, I have no clue what you would consider one to be.

As far as fitment issues, fair enough. From my personal experience, the C7 is an extremely nice place to be but I drive poverty spec cars so my perspective is limited.

I was talking more about the exterior, it looks like a morphed C7. It's not as big of a departure as any of the other generational leaps.

The interior cabin space is comfy, and looks nice. But the exterior panel fitment is hit and miss, and the rear on all 3 C7s I've had experience a lot of rattles, and the door cards constantly rattle from the speakers on both grand sports I've had. I'd say that the build quality is "inconsistent" at best, which is probably why you get so much car for ~60k.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

I definitely saw a dude back in 2004 or so pull up at a golf course in a Prowler. He had his clubs/shoes as well as an ice chest in the trailer!

I don't like golfing, but if I was going to, a Prowler is the only way to show up.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Linux Nazi posted:

I was talking more about the exterior, it looks like a morphed C7. It's not as big of a departure as any of the other generational leaps.

I disagree here. Although the car's looks, in isolation, are growing on me, this is the first Corvette that to me is unidentifiable as a Corvette. If you go backwards in time, you have no trouble at all knowing that you were looking at a Corvette. This is the first time, maybe since the original Vette, that a year to year transition completely rewrote the look of the car. At least to my eye.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Linux Nazi posted:

The interior cabin space is comfy, and looks nice. But the exterior panel fitment is hit and miss, and the rear on all 3 C7s I've had experience a lot of rattles, and the door cards constantly rattle from the speakers on both grand sports I've had. I'd say that the build quality is "inconsistent" at best, which is probably why you get so much car for ~60k.

Glad to hear nothing has changed from when I had my C5. Other than the interior looking nice, lol.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I disagree here. Although the car's looks, in isolation, are growing on me, this is the first Corvette that to me is unidentifiable as a Corvette. If you go backwards in time, you have no trouble at all knowing that you were looking at a Corvette. This is the first time, maybe since the original Vette, that a year to year transition completely rewrote the look of the car. At least to my eye.

I had the same thought about the c7 when it came out because it was so pointy and the C6 C5 on back for such smooth cars. To be honest the c7 never really grew on me so I just kind of let it pass and ended up buying a screaming deal no mileage C6 from an old man last year and now I'm kind of regretting it cuz I'm sure I'm going to lose my rear end on the trade in.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

hell yeah

oh my god :3

Also does this mean the earlier 'vettes with the GM playskool parts bin interiors will be even cheaper now

Keep toying with the idea of picking up a C5 and dailying it since I don't need a back seat RN

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

bird cooch posted:

I had the same thought about the c7 when it came out because it was so pointy and the C6 C5 on back for such smooth cars. To be honest the c7 never really grew on me so I just kind of let it pass and ended up buying a screaming deal no mileage C6 from an old man last year and now I'm kind of regretting it cuz I'm sure I'm going to lose my rear end on the trade in.

You don't get a screaming deal unless someone is losing their rear end, and you gotta pay it forward. In 2003 I got a five year old C5 for 21k and it only lost 10k in the fourteen years I had it, but that still means the guy I sold it to got a 350hp car for $11k. New or used you really can't beat the value on these things.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

davebo posted:

You don't get a screaming deal unless someone is losing their rear end, and you gotta pay it forward. In 2003 I got a five year old C5 for 21k and it only lost 10k in the fourteen years I had it, but that still means the guy I sold it to got a 350hp car for $11k. New or used you really can't beat the value on these things.

I bought about an '08 a year ago with 14 or 17 k on it for 23ish iirc. Somewhere in there. I have 24K on it now with ZO6 brakes and sways and a bunch of other track stuff, I also have a 2.3 liter Magnuson supercharger ready to drop on but, I think it's not going to get that and I'll just part out the supercharger and Hope that my trade-in value doesn't drop too much between now and when I can get a c8. Or perhaps just sell it outright and camp on the cash.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

You can go golfing in your C8 instead of having to take your Yukon Denali.

https://i.imgur.com/o9OiGsy.mp4

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Godzilla07 posted:

boomers are still going to be upset

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

A 2000 f350 is my daily. And I'm a cripple, no golf for me.

There's actually an amazing amount of storage space. Most of my miles come from blast from Texas to California and Washington State for work / fun. The ideas road trippin a cheap mid-engine car under warranty sounds pretty great.

I wonder if you can fit a full size spare back there. Or two cheater spares in the right dimensions. F/R

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bajaha posted:

You got to start thinking like a 'rich' guy showing off. Having to stop and hold up traffic while you raise the front of your expensive sports car is a feature. You're just rubbing it in to everyone around you that you're more important and fancy than they are. Now you get that experience in a vette instead of having to shell out for a Lamborghini or Ferrari.

Personally I find that kind of 'rich' better-than attitude disgusting but it does appeal to some people.

:thermidor: the rich is what I'm getting at.

Speed humps (at least here in the uk) are a pretty shallow angle and I've never had to use the front end lift to clear any in a Ferrari. It's mostly going to be used to get on to steep driveways or drop kerbs (and also to get it on the flatbed lolololol)

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Maybe trunk and frunk?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I wonder what happens to a mid-engine car passenger compartment during a full head on crash.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I wonder what happens to a mid-engine car passenger compartment during a full head on crash.

More crumple zone.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BlackMK4 posted:

More crumple zone.
For the engine?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

mobby_6kl posted:

For the engine?

No? That isn't in the front anymore.
In a front-engine car the engine is a problem, not an asset, in a head-on collision.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

bird cooch posted:

I just realized that they're still making the 370Z as well. Hwhy

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Tooling has been paid off forever, people still buy them

The 350Z/370Z will be the Crown Victoria of sports cars.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

In really big accidents, mid-engined cars are designed so that the engine/drivetrain sheers off before it becomes an uninvited guest in the passenger compartment. I mean really it's not that different to a front-engine car, where it's also designed to do that, just in a different direction and with a different outcome in mind.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

How long until the first photo of a C8 shows up with Ferrari badges?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I'd probably buy a C8 even despite being about to move from Florida (no snow) to Utah (lots of snow) if I didn't have a large dog

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It seems too good to be true and this is still GM so I'm half-expecting some horrible flaw

Overheating during mildly spirited driving or some horrible transmission problem that manifests in the first year or every 5,000 miles one of the wheels falls off

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

LeeMajors posted:

The MR Spyder was pretty awesome though.

But yeah, a reboot SW20 would be amaaaaaaazing.

I do like the Spyder, one's on my list because it scratches several itches at once: 2 seater, convertible, mid-engined, absolutely naff all storage space.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Shitfest the Clown posted:

I'd probably buy a C8 even despite being about to move from Florida (no snow) to Utah (lots of snow) if I didn't have a large dog

I live in CO and I’m legit planning on dailying it. If it snows, I don’t really care since I can work from home. Just need a 90s Toyota sedan as a beater and I’m set.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FBS posted:

It seems too good to be true and this is still GM so I'm half-expecting some horrible flaw

What going to happen is that there will only be one trim level that's below $60k and dealers will get a single allotment. The rest will probably have $15k in options.

I mean, it would be great if that doesn't happen, but the cynic in me says they don't intend anyone to buy a 60k model.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

bull3964 posted:

What going to happen is that there will only be one trim level that's below $60k and dealers will get a single allotment. The rest will probably have $15k in options.

I mean, it would be great if that doesn't happen, but the cynic in me says they don't intend anyone to buy a 60k model.

You’re probably right, but Ford dealers tried to pull this nonsense with GT350s and I still see new 2018s on lots.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

davebo posted:

If you actually do need to raise the front every time you approach a speed bump though, this would make a pretty lovely daily driver for anyone who has a lot of those in their area. I can speak speak from experience (apologies doc!) that it is super embarrassing passing other cars on a two lane road, only to get to a speed bump you didn't know about, come to a complete stop then have to raise the front up to crawl over it while the cars you passed line up and wait behind you. Whatever tenths of a second your car theoretically gains on the Nurburgring are more than lost at that point.

I was talking to a Chevy dealer on the way to the airport this morning and he said the most common corvette part they sell is the undertray beneath the nose. And for the record, a C7 Z51 is absolutely low enough to scrape itself on parking ramps and speed bumps.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

It shouldn't be THAT hard to get a stripper model. It might be tough to get one right away, but if you understand how the ordering process works it's entirely possible to get one in a reasonable time during the first model year.

You need to be dealing with one of the top 5 dealers on this list:

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019/01/09/the-top-50-corvette-dealers-of-2018/

Allocations will probably be based on 2019 sales too but those top 5 move a TON of cars relative to the rest of the dealers so any of them should be willing to deal.

Kerbeck has a preorder list going, no idea how long it is. I think there's a thread at the Corvette Forum about it.

If a dealer has an allocation, they should be willing to order whatever you want. I wanted a 1LT Z51, which is kind of a weird combo (most of the people get at least the 2LT option package). The 2LT option package was something like $6000 more and it added nothing that I really wanted aside from cooled seats (I don't miss them).

I went with a guy who was like #8 in the nation at the time for allocations. I ordered mine in mid February of 2014, it was built in early May and I picked it up in late May. If I had went with one of the top 5 I'd probably have had it a month earlier.

The nice thing about Kerbeck is they don't mark up cars. There's no "dealer price adjustment" from them. You'll probably pay MSRP but I'm pretty sure everyone who wants a C8 will be the first model year at least.

GM will do courtesy delivery to your local dealer or you can have it delivered to the selling dealer and shipped to you. Again, this is where dealing with one of the top 5 dealers is an advantage because they've done that a bunch for people and can recommend carriers.

It's full of old dudes but the Corvette Forum is seriously your best resource for buying one. So many people get screwed by dealers who claim to have allocation and then just hold on to their deposit money.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I'm sure your dog will fit comfortably in the passenger seat.

edit: or the driver seat, but I don't recommend that.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 20, 2019

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Ir just wait until one of the Corvette coach builder companies comes up with another shooting brake hatch conversion...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It is funny how easy it is to recognize the chuckwalla parking lot even though it is in the middle of loving nowhere :v:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
The new Corvette is what Toyota deserves after sitting on their hands for the last 20+ years with the Supra.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I'm actually really glad to hear that there are others here who seem to not hate the Corvette and even own them, since I've been seriously considering owning one since the C7 came out (i.e. interior wasn't COMPLETELY parts bin), and I've always been surprised that AI doesn't really talk about them much, especially since people here tend to look at cars as more than their reputations and would theoretically like the Corvette for the absurd price-performance ratio and ignore the boomer olds owners aspect.

Problem is, I'd been thinking I'd purchase a C7 used from the aforementioned boomer olds when they all upgraded to a C8 but now, uh, I really want a C8. Dammit.

But yeah, buying first model year of Corvette generation change (especially when it's literally a different design than it's been for 60+ years) seems like always a bad move - I remember reading about the 2014 C7s having issues with their hatches not closing because of the backwards air pressure, and people actually breaking their hatch glass if they tried to push too hard. IIRC GM even released official advice to close hatches gently to avoid that.

I'll probably have to get a C7 and wait 5-10 years for the C8 to work out all the kinks and also at that point I'll be nearer the apparently necessary age to own one.

As far as 60k, pretty sure that means $59,995 for the stripper model. Still very low, considering, but the C7 started "below 50k" in 2014 and crept up to where the base price was $54k or something and anything you wanted to actually buy if you weren't a boomer golf idiot was in the $65k+ range. So I'm fully expecting a C8 2LT in five years to be in the 75k range, which means I probably need to wait another 4-5 years and buy used when the C9 comes out.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Super Soaker Party! posted:

and ignore the boomer olds owners aspect.

They managed to do so for the Miata... Maybe it's just prejudice against American cars.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I've never considered a Corvette as a car I'd want to get until this one (i'm 29) so good going GM.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Looks like Ford is telling dealerships to replace every failing PowerShift dual-clutch for free on the heels of the damning Detroit Free Press article:
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/07/ford-ordering-dealerships-to-fix-dual-clutch-fiesta-and-focus-models-report/

quote:

The engineer, who no longer works at Ford and requested anonymity out of concern it might jeopardize his career in the auto industry, said the company had previously identified transmission issues in high-profit trucks and disrupted everything to issue “stop ships to limit quality exposure” and fix those problems. The DPS6 transmission was treated differently.

[..]

Getrag … owns the design and Ford is not allowed to even have the component drawings for the DPS6. As Ford believes strongly this is a design failure, Getrag should reimburse Ford for 100% … we need to be clear where the responsibility lies.

I wonder if part of killing the Focus/Fiesta in North America was to get out from under what are about to become Pinto-level cursed model names.

They still have no idea why Explorer drivers become aggressive dumbshits:
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2019-ford-explorer-owners-say-suvs-making-them-sick/

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 20, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Speed humps (at least here in the uk) are a pretty shallow angle and I've never had to use the front end lift to clear any in a Ferrari. It's mostly going to be used to get on to steep driveways or drop kerbs (and also to get it on the flatbed lolololol)

In the US, they just pour a fuckin curb in the middle of the road. Usually with a dip on either side for good measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I mean, unless you’re going to live on the benches or up in Park City, it’s really not that much snow. Just get an old Cherokee or something for the 10-ish days per year.