Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Fixing most of the problems with American federal government at this point is going to require just ignoring parts of the Constitution and getting enough people and states to go along with it, or short of that civil war. That goes for the electoral college as much as anything else.

Like it would be reasonable for the top 10 or so blue states by population (which I believe would represent well over half the country) to just come out and say they're calling for a Constitutional convention and that votes at the convention will be not by state but by population, and that furthermore the results of that convention will be binding on all states. This would be wildly unconstitutional, of course, but assuming you also control the Congress and the Presidency at that time, and they go along with it, it's doable, which is to say it's unlikely to cause actual rebellion. (Violence, most definitely, from right-wing militias, but unlikely to see states secede, et cetera.)

If that sounds like hare-brained bullshit to you, well that's because it is, but the only alternative likely to result in any actual change is civil war (and you probably won't get the change you want, in that case). Even electing Bernie Sanders to the Presidency and progressive Democrats to the House and Senate doesn't eliminate the risk of fascism in the US. Using the state to crush the fascists, however, does.

Well, the original constitutional convention was also wildly illegal, so it's not really that hare-brained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Mayor Pete hired former Goldman Sachs exec for National Policy Director

https://twitter.com/brendengallager/status/1152276204851851265

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 20, 2019

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

theblackw0lf posted:

Mayor Pete hired former Goldman Sachs exec for National Policy Director

https://twitter.com/brendengallager/status/1152276204851851265

Man, just witness the powers of ~*systems thinking*~ on display here.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Fixing most of the problems with American federal government at this point is going to require just ignoring parts of the Constitution and getting enough people and states to go along with it, or short of that civil war. That goes for the electoral college as much as anything else.

Like it would be reasonable for the top 10 or so blue states by population (which I believe would represent well over half the country) to just come out and say they're calling for a Constitutional convention and that votes at the convention will be not by state but by population, and that furthermore the results of that convention will be binding on all states. This would be wildly unconstitutional, of course, but assuming you also control the Congress and the Presidency at that time, and they go along with it, it's doable, which is to say it's unlikely to cause actual rebellion. (Violence, most definitely, from right-wing militias, but unlikely to see states secede, et cetera.)

If that sounds like hare-brained bullshit to you, well that's because it is, but the only alternative likely to result in any actual change is civil war (and you probably won't get the change you want, in that case). Even electing Bernie Sanders to the Presidency and progressive Democrats to the House and Senate doesn't eliminate the risk of fascism in the US. Using the state to crush the fascists, however, does.

Which states do you imagine the top 10 blue states by population are?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1151888865319378946

Biden is not electable.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

We're not electing someone with an identical twin to the presidency. I'm not going to have you doing shennanigans in the white house! get out of here booker! you too castro!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nice to see Bernie's is ticking downward - slowly, but it was already a pretty low number to begin with.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Majorian posted:

Nice to see Bernie's is ticking downward - slowly, but it was already a pretty low number to begin with.

It sad to see so many people falling for the con that is the Warren campaign, but her plan of throwing everything at the wall to see what stinks is working.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Oh Snapple! posted:

The telling point (well, on top of the actual details, anyway) that this was a bad faith leak is that they went to WaPo, the paper probably most hostile to Bernie and with a material interest in tearing him down, with it.

I’d be willing to bet if this was any other campaign, you’d jump all over it and say it’s the most evil thing on the planet, instead of making excuses like you did just now.

Bernie is good. Doesn’t mean he’s perfect. Hopefully they do the right thing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Judakel posted:

It sad to see so many people falling for the con that is the Warren campaign, but her plan of throwing everything at the wall to see what stinks is working.

I think Warren supporters are overrepresented on this forum and in political internet spaces in general, since her support among younger people disproportionately comes from more well-off whites.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/AndrewYang/status/1152372357253730304

:whitewater:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

This will be for Yang what "I LOVE SEGREGATIONISTS!!!" has been for Biden.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

generic one posted:

I’d be willing to bet if this was any other campaign, you’d jump all over it and say it’s the most evil thing on the planet, instead of making excuses like you did just now.

This is nonsense. Every other campaign has unpaid positions. No other campaign is unionized. If the worst that we could say about, say, the Warren campaign was that after an increase in hours, salaried people were making a little less than 15 an hour and were asking for more and waiting for the campaign's response, I'd say that'd be pretty good. Instead, on one hand we have a very matter of fact, straight reporting that the Warren campaign uses a loophole to have unpaid staff positions, and on the other, labor "troubles roil" the Sanders campaign because he is only a lot better than every other campaign, rather than perfect.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

generic one posted:

Nobody else is even paying their campaigns what Sanders is, much less unionizing them. Stop believing WAPO, they are a Murdoch level paper during Democratic primaries.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The biggest story in that article is that when hours went up and the campaign offered a 6k raise to compensate, our insane healthcare system made the raise not worth it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

fire all obama-era photographers after whoever wins. these photos all suck rear end and they look 2008 as gently caress.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

The biggest story in that article is that when hours went up and the campaign offered a 6k raise to compensate, our insane healthcare system made the raise not worth it.

not really, the only reason they would have to pay more is because of the numbers they initially agreed upon.

these workers would like the campaign to raise the cutoff to 60k/yr to avoid putting them in this situation, which management could do.. whenever they want to, really. then, a raise to 42k/yr salary would leave field organizers actually making 15/hr with the current mandatory overtime required of them

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Oh Snapple! posted:

Nonsense posted:

Nobody else is even paying their campaigns what Sanders is, much less unionizing them. Stop believing WAPO, they are a Murdoch level paper during Democratic primaries.

joepinetree posted:

This is nonsense. Every other campaign has unpaid positions. No other campaign is unionized. If the worst that we could say about, say, the Warren campaign was that after an increase in hours, salaried people were making a little less than 15 an hour and were asking for more and waiting for the campaign's response, I'd say that'd be pretty good. Instead, on one hand we have a very matter of fact, straight reporting that the Warren campaign uses a loophole to have unpaid staff positions, and on the other, labor "troubles roil" the Sanders campaign because he is only a lot better than every other campaign, rather than perfect.

Aaaaannnd there it is! Right on time!

Attacking other campaigns, moving goalposts, giving excuses why this shouldn’t be discussed when it’d be a huge deal if it was a major corporation like Amazon... y’all need to chill out. Like I said, Bernie’s good, he’s not perfect. There’s no need to defend bad poo poo when it happens.

When something doesn’t seem right, just be consistent. Don’t defend it, just because you see some sort of disrespect to your favored candidate.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Bernie doing it is WORSE than Amazon doing it, because its the kind of shameless villainy one would expect from a satan corporation, but not from an ostensibly pro-union politician

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

they agreed to a contract that seemed pretty good, and is pretty good by all normal campaign standards, but doesn't actually satisfy the core promise of $15/hr in practice due to the sheer amount of work required right now

renegotiating in that situation is.. very normal. it's appropriate and good, even. what's weird is furiously declaring it all Murdoch lies and that these ungrateful workers don't know how good they have it!!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

generic one posted:

Attacking other campaigns, moving goalposts, giving excuses why this shouldn’t be discussed when it’d be a huge deal if it was a major corporation like Amazon... y’all need to chill out. Like I said, Bernie’s good, he’s not perfect. There’s no need to defend bad poo poo when it happens.

When something doesn’t seem right, just be consistent. Don’t defend it, just because you see some sort of disrespect to your favored candidate.

No one's defending poo poo because the union has not even sent their loving letter to the campaign yet.

It doesn't take a loving genius to look at the details and figure out that some dumbfuck careerist who got brought on saw a chance during this process and took it. It was very deliberately leaked to WaPo above other potential outlets. It's not the first time and it won't be the last.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 20, 2019

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

eke out posted:

what's weird is furiously declaring it all Murdoch lies and that these ungrateful workers don't know how good they have it!!

Yeah its been absolutely surreal to see this reaction from self-proclaimed leftists itt

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

generic one posted:

There's nothing wrong with pointing out that the reporting of it is deeply misleading, particularly in light of other campaigns' use of unpaid labor. It also is the sort of thing that doesn't really make sense to even have an opinion about until negotiations are concluded.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Oh Snapple! posted:

No one's defending poo poo because the union has not even sent their loving letter to the campaign yet.

It doesn't take a loving genius to look at the details and figure out that some dumbfuck careerist who got brought on saw a chance and took it. It's not the first time and it won't be the last.

You’re really mad that this poo poo leaked. I think that says a lot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

generic one posted:

Buzz on off. I'm "mad" because the story they spawned did exactly what it intended in providing a disingenuous as gently caress platform to attack Bernie on to dishonest as hell folks like you.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

This isn't about Bernie. THIS ISN'T ABOUT BERNIE. It's about unionized workers fighting for their lives and livelihood (because Bernie is destroying them with poverty wages)

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

generic one posted:

Are they? Or are they mad at the manner in which it was leaked?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

It doesn't take a loving genius to look at the details and figure out that some dumbfuck careerist who got brought on saw a chance during this process and took it. It was very deliberately leaked to WaPo above other potential outlets. It's not the first time and it won't be the last.

bernie said they're "in negotiations" about this problem

credit to the Sanders campaign, while they're clearly unhappy that this leaked they don't seem to be in the kind of profoundly angry denial that there is any problem at all as seen here

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

eke out posted:

bernie said they're "in negotiations" about this problem

credit to the Sanders campaign, while they're clearly unhappy that this leaked they don't seem to be in the kind of profoundly angry denial seen here

What is anyone in "denial" about. There is literally nothing to be in denial about.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

eke out posted:

they agreed to a contract that seemed pretty good, and is pretty good by all normal campaign standards, but doesn't actually satisfy the core promise of $15/hr in practice due to the sheer amount of work required right now

renegotiating in that situation is.. very normal. it's appropriate and good, even. what's weird is furiously declaring it all Murdoch lies and that these ungrateful workers don't know how good they have it!!

No one is saying it's all Murdoch lies, and certainly no one is saying that these ungrateful workers don't know how good they have it. People here are annoyed at how misleadingly that news piece is portraying the situation. That's why Bernie himself is annoyed that people went outside of the normal channels - he knew that the press would misleadingly report things. As you say, renegotiation is very normal, so why let the anti-Bernie press turn it into something it's not?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Oh Snapple! posted:

What is anyone in "denial" about. There is literally nothing to be in denial about.

im in denial about a lot of things, but what they are is none of your business

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

Oh Snapple! posted:

nothing to see here, move along

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Majorian posted:

No one is saying it's all Murdoch lies, and certainly no one is saying that these ungrateful workers don't know how good they have it. People here are annoyed at how misleadingly that news piece is portraying the situation. That's why Bernie himself is annoyed that people went outside of the normal channels - he knew that the press would misleadingly report things. As you say, renegotiation is very normal, so why let the anti-Bernie press turn it into something it's not?

On my end I'd certainly be more willing to not ascribe malice to the specific leaker here if they, again, hadn't made the deliberate choice to do the leak through a paper owned by a person constantly fighting Bernie and which cannot churn out anti-Bernie hitpieces fast enough.

Of course, that's also separate from my hope that the staff can get a better contract for themselves.

eke out posted:

Either say what you mean or stop talking to me, I'm not doing this guessing game poo poo just so you can feel like you said something.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Oh Snapple! posted:

Buzz on off. I'm "mad" because the story they spawned did exactly what it intended in providing a disingenuous as gently caress platform to attack Bernie on to dishonest as hell folks like you.

FAKE NEWS. SOMEONE DO SOMETHING.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
You just don't send a letter to the media before you send it to the employer. I hope he has a direct answer to some idiot reporter asking about this during the debate. Maddow should've gotten way more poo poo from him last debate.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

generic one posted:

"The only candidate with a union is negotiating with his union" is not nearly the own you think it is, or much an own at all.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

generic one posted:

I am. But it doesn't really say much beyond "I think this headline isn't good for my preferred candidate".

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Probably Magic posted:

"The only candidate with a union is negotiating with his union" is not nearly the own you think it is, or much an own at all.
A person who doesn't mainline political news straight into their veins 24/7 is going to read this and wonder "why aren't I hearing about labor disputes with the other candidates' unionized staff?"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

A person who doesn't mainline political news straight into their veins 24/7 is going to read this and wonder "why aren't I hearing about labor disputes with the other candidates' unionized staff?"

It is very true that not a single unionized worker in any other campaign is unhappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

eke out posted:

"Negotiations are underway" is not a story, it's the system working as intended

Nothing in the story is a lie. This doesn't mean the headline, the thing most people stop at, isn't written in such a way as to imply that Bernie is working everyone like dogs for a pittance despite his promises, as opposed to overtime loving up the calculations and the contract being renegotiated by the union, as it should be in this situation

The fact that things happening correctly is being treated as damning evidence that Bernie is a tyrant and a liar is even more appalling considering that every other campaign has employees who aren't being paid at all. As well, the fact that the proposed raise wasn't worth it because if our broken healthcare system is way more alarming than "union renegotiating contract, like they're supposed to"

Stop with this disingenuous bullshit

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 20, 2019