Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you were going to nationalize any part of Amazon, the delivery infrastructure is the only thing worth something. The entire store website could be accidentally deleted and have to be cobbled back together out of excel documents and paperclips and it still wouldn't be any kind of loss.

Incidentally the way that Amazon runs a store, a delivery system, and manufactures and markets its own products is called vertical integration, and it used to be illegal back when antitrust laws were a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t need Amazon nationalized I just need the bare minimum of making Bezos only keep like a couple billion and the rest go into taxes. No person needs that much money.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, if we're talking about nationalizing big corporations Amazon is way down the list. Comcast and ATT are the two big targets there.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, if we're talking about nationalizing big corporations Amazon is way down the list. Comcast and ATT are the two big targets there.
You hear that, Business Daddy??? We should nationalize you!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Yeah, if you know any Agency employees then don’t piss them off I guess, but I’m saying that the more bog-standard civilian parts of law enforcement aren’t using these databases to dragnet anyone downloading Pokémon.

Like when it comes to nationalizing AT&T or some poo poo, I’m not opposed to the government running a telecom, as long as there’s still private carriers because only a loving fool would use the nationalized carrier to set up a weed sale or whatever.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, if you know any Agency employees then don’t piss them off I guess, but I’m saying that the more bog-standard civilian parts of law enforcement aren’t using these databases to dragnet anyone downloading Pokémon.

Like when it comes to nationalizing AT&T or some poo poo, I’m not opposed to the government running a telecom, as long as there’s still private carriers because only a loving fool would use the nationalized carrier to set up a weed sale or whatever.

Your cell phone has already told the NSA who your drug dealer is. hth

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Craptacular! posted:

Why would there be any more chance of them monitoring you if they owned the network? Either way all they need is authorisation (or lack of oversight). Private ownership doesn't make it physically any harder.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Emmy noms are up

I can't believe the Chiijohn docu and the Wax and the Furious are competing for the same nom :allears:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Tiggum posted:

Why would there be any more chance of them monitoring you if they owned the network? Either way all they need is authorisation (or lack of oversight). Private ownership doesn't make it physically any harder.

My point is that some crimes are so legion that FISA courts, NSA databases, and judicial warrants are considered ‘overkill’. However, local police love harassing people over minor issues and somebody (Verizon?) won a legal battle that they don’t have to turn over their customer information to any private party legal action that asks such as copyright attorneys for the usual large studios.

This is a thread about an HBO program so I’m going to assume that a majority of participants are familiar with the ins and outs of pirating TV shows, but one of the few “unwritten rules” of downloading music and movies in recent years is to do your piracy on a commercial ISP and not, say, a university connection because the private operators don’t hand over customer info without a warrant and instead forward the complaint to you with a nasty letter and promises of cancelling your service if this isn’t corrected, while the universities usually comply with whatever and get you put in court. Threats to lose your home internet, or having to buy attorneys and make court appointments. Hmm, which is worse? :thunk:

The point is a government owned ISP may be willing to throw open it’s records for civil attorneys who simply ask and will be very likely more willing to cooperate with local police on searches without a warrant. Yes the whole internet is being downloaded and indexed, but it’s by people who have more important things going on to think about the stolen LEGO Batman on your nephew’s Google Drive.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 16, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, the solutions to a broken free market like the current ISP oligopoly involve either codifying the hegemony into a governmental institution or trying to break it up into a free market again, and considering how often the government bends over for big media companies trying to maintain copyrights forevermore, the latter might be safer.

Although come to think of it, I wonder if the big media companies that are also ISPs ever comb through their customers' data.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I can't bring myself to watch the new Lion King but I'm glad John did good in it

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1151983233694949382

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of ....

https://twitter.com/iamjohnoliver/status/1148582981126295553

John: :shepface:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 19, 2019

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

He filled the role really well. Talks about as much as in an episode of the show, only per scene.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Oh wow, I didn't realize he actually is in the movie!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's really weird when the plot stops and he spends 30 minutes on an in depth breakdown of the lion monarchy

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I enjoyed the way he segued every scene in the movie with "and now, this"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's really weird when the plot stops and he spends 30 minutes on an in depth breakdown of the lion monarchy

Oh, please. He jokes around about some of the jungle news topics from the last week for at least seven minutes, and really only talks about issues regarding feline monarchy for, at most, 19 minutes.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Since waiting for the next episode of the show is such a tedious task, the film was a worthy alternative.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is Simba still loving his sister?

That's the reason why real Lions don't inherit their father's pride and instead go wandering to find a new one.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
The Morning Report is now just a QUICK recap of the last week, and we begin in the savanna, where the new prince, Simba, was born, and immediately held out over a stunningly high cliff, whereupon all of the animals were forced to make ritual oaths of fealty, or the baby would be dropped.

Meanwhile, in an attempt to stay relevant, after being dropped out of the succession, the king’s brother has become a bit of a media bad boy, going so far as to insist upon being called “Scar.”

(Clip of paparazzi videos of wild and outrageous public behavior.)

Cool. Moving on, moving on, for our MAIN story tonight, we turn to hyena concentration camps.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

TheCenturion posted:

The Morning Report is now just a QUICK recap of the last week, and we begin in the savanna, where the new prince, Simba, was born, and immediately held out over a stunningly high cliff, whereupon all of the animals were forced to make ritual oaths of fealty, or the baby would be dropped.

Meanwhile, in an attempt to stay relevant, after being dropped out of the succession, the king’s brother has become a bit of a media bad boy, going so far as to insist upon being called “Scar.”

(Clip of paparazzi videos of wild and outrageous public behavior.)

Cool. Moving on, moving on, for our MAIN story tonight, we turn to hyena concentration camps.

[intense laughing is heard, and a few mascot-sized hyenas wander onstage]

Stop it! Stop it right now! You stop that! The fate of the hyenas... (directly into camera) is no laughing matter.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

copypasta from the LWT reddit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKKIZ9O6tCA&t=721s

Meet DJ Bus Replacement Service, perhaps the most amazingly bonkers name for a DJ, a woman dressed as Kim Jong-Un, using soundbites from the Gilbert Gotfried episodes for her mixes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Here's an objectively perfect explanation of the situation in the UK, and I don't even need to use words (other than setting up this wordless, perfect explanation of the situation in the UK):

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The idiot defense is a lot more common than you'd think. That was half of W's presidency. It just gets confusing when people pretending to be idiots genuinely are idiots beneath the facade beneath the facade. It's how all those high-power bureaucrats turn into total amnesiacs whenever they're under indictment and get away scot-free. That interview about paragraphs B and C was just like a piece out of a loving sitcom.

I feel like the fact that John Oliver didn't see fit to mention how England finally won the Cricket World Cup is like the ultimate proof that he no longer talks to Andy Zaltzman.

Also shrimp chips are alright, John's making a big fuss over nothing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Prawn cocktail crisps are delicious, and I just bought a pack of them today when I was doing the shopping because John reminded me of them. There are some weird but scrumptious crisps in the UK and Ireland: Worcestershire sauce being another odd, but lovely one. The nicest crisps I've ever tasted though, were Walkers Sensations roast chicken & thyme. Which really doesn't sound like it should work as a crisp, but drat they were loving tasty.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just be sure to have one of these for dessert

In semi-related news, wtf did imgur just do to its interface?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

tsob posted:

Prawn cocktail crisps are delicious, and I just bought a pack of them today when I was doing the shopping because John reminded me of them. There are some weird but scrumptious crisps in the UK and Ireland: Worcestershire sauce being another odd, but lovely one. The nicest crisps I've ever tasted though, were Walkers Sensations roast chicken & thyme. Which really doesn't sound like it should work as a crisp, but drat they were loving tasty.

Are they actually prawn flavored or are they like crab chips where they’re just seasoned the same.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Azhais posted:

Just be sure to have one of these for dessert

In semi-related news, wtf did imgur just do to its interface?
1. no
2. imgur has been amazingly bullish in making themselves as unsavory to use as an image host as is humanly possible

Basically: We’re not asking. You will use this as a social media platform, or you won’t use this.

Hopefully tomorrow I can still load the desktop version on mobile

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are they actually prawn flavored or are they like crab chips where they’re just seasoned the same.

Prawn cocktail is a sauce apparently. I've never tried it, and wasn't even sure it existed until I Googled it a few minutes ago, but I assume the crisp is flavored after it rather than the other way around, because the crisps certainly aren't actually prawn flavored.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Cocktail sauce is mainly ketchup, horseradish, worcestershire, and lemon juice. Perfectly reasonable flavours for a crisp.

More likely the revulsion is a reaction to the word “prawns.”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
JO is weird as hell about food imo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, he has a habit of wildly insulting all kinds of food, and I'm not sure if there's anything he actually likes. It gets very elitist sometimes too. It's just one of his go-to jokes that various foods are subhuman garbage.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I find the business daddy thing as creepy as I do funny

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamn, a company that has a near-monopoly on prison video calls forcing prisons to eliminate actual visits in order to sell more video calls is just late stage capitalism as gently caress.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

At least they are giving them protective gear now when they throw them in the arena to fight animals as a spectacle. We have truly come a long ways since the times of the Roman empire.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Remember the more unhappy prisoners get the more dangerous being a guard is which means the costs of insuring prisons likely go up.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Do prisons still take a commission on the slave labor they make their prisoners do? That's probably one of the key ingredients of what keeps the horrible system keep going. I remember hearing how that was one of the ways that the post-reconstruction south resurrected slavery, arresting blacks so their labor becomes free again.

And even if you have no sympathy for prisoners, their families, or the people who will be unlawfully railroaded into prison to keep the industry going in the future, all that underpriced prison labor directly devalues labor done by free people. You know, one of the things that conservatives are always jacking off about blaming immigrants for to be a halfway plausible excuse for their rabid racism (or at least they used to? I haven't heard it recently ever since they stopped feeling the need to hide). I think I remember some stories of prisoners being brought in to be scabs during a labor strike at a mine. If you let companies get away with underpaying for labor, that becomes the new price, just like how wage theft is rampant.

And this whole industry is subsidized by yours and everybody else's tax dollars, it doesn't pay for itself. The system takes what money and human capital the government provides and then leverages it to make as much profit as they can off of it while squeezing down costs, hence how they refuse to provide basic living amenities to prisoners despite getting upwards of $30k of tax money per inmate.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh I’m sure they get money from all the companies falling over themselves to get cheap labor.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Invalid Validation posted:

Oh I’m sure they get money from all the companies falling over themselves to get cheap labor.

I'm pretty sure the largest customer is the government. They have a mandate of some variety to use prison labor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

I'm pretty sure the largest customer is the government. They have a mandate of some variety to use prison labor

Yeah a ton of stuff for the military is made with prison labour. Uniforms and so on.