Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My little monster was trying to scale a glass door last night because this guy was I need of being hunted

(I did not disturb frogfriend)

Cat tax of the vicious hunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Cat has now pooped normal poop but still not yet interested in food. Trying not to obsess because he is otherwise acting normal.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Do cats pee at the same time they poop? Or is it possible that they can poop and not pee simultaneously (a feat that I can't imagine doing personally)?

I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow, I just want to know so I can monitor the situation accurately.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Christoph posted:

Do cats pee at the same time they poop? Or is it possible that they can poop and not pee simultaneously (a feat that I can't imagine doing personally)?

I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow, I just want to know so I can monitor the situation accurately.

Both cats I live with do it seperate. I have even watched basil poop, leave the room and immediately return to pee. ??? I think this is even more likely with more liter boxes (both of our cars have preferred boxes for seperate deeds, though basil is less picky, as demonstrated)

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I have two litterboxes next to each other. They will just pee or poop, but one cat will poop in one then pee in the other right in a row, and the other cat does opposite choice.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Okay cool, thank you.

He isn't straining or yowling. I just did a complete litter change-out earlier and didn't think to check.

If I palpate the bladder area he doesn't act upset, he just gives me a WTF look.

I just wish he'd eat, he's freaking me out. He did chew on some dianthus earlier yesterday. I hope that's all it is.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I’m laying on the couch, and my precious boy comes and lays down on my chest, naturally stuffing his rear end end towards my face. I’m playing video games and not really paying attention, but I keep catching a pretty horrid smell. “Ha ha somebody’s got a stinky rear end in a top hat” I say to my cat, referring to both of us

And I just keep smelling it and it’s like, genuinely loving like make you gag bad. So I put down the controller and my poor boy has a bunch it thick white discharge all over his rear end in a top hat and has rubbed a bit on my shirt. I go to grab some tissues to clean him up and by the time I get back he appears to have taken care of himself.

It’s fair to assume this has to do with his anal glands, and he’s had problems with his anal glands getting impacted in the last, but I’ve never seen a load of discharge like this. Is this something to be super concerned about and set up a vet appointment or is this like uhhhh totally fine (I am assuming this is not fine)

Spoilered because gross cat rear end in a top hat:

Not pictured: the big blob of it that wiped off on my shirt

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Christoph posted:

Cat has now pooped normal poop but still not yet interested in food. Trying not to obsess because he is otherwise acting normal.

It is important to get something inside him asap because cats go into renal failure if they don’t eat for 2-3days. Someone just lost a cat on this very page to that exact thing so do take it seriously. Literally anything you can get him to eat is fine, but you may find better luck with something strong smelling (heating up wet food to get it stanky works often.)

Cats will stop eating for tons of reasons and it’s usually a good idea to go to the vet if it persists for any length of time.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
He's been licking the gravy off of his Fancy Feast. I will open up some more when I get home. He also ate a third of his meal this morning. I am taking this seriously for sure.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
After about half a year after we said goodbye to our Kitty One-Ear, my girlfriend and I were finally ready to get a new cat. We dropped by our local humane society about two months ago and brought this lovely lady home with us. Meet Diamond!

She's a very beautiful 3 year old grey tabby girl. She was very fussy without food for about the first month with us and was very easily frightened from all of the outside noises and would frequently hide under the bed. Nowadays she's much more relaxed and comfortable and has settled into a daily routine. She's still a bit fussy about food, but is now a very brave girl and hasn't gone into hiding whatsoever in weeks. We hope she can stick around with us for a good long time! She hasn't freaked or gotten territorial at all at seeing some of the outdoor neighborhood cats from the window, so we might look into getting her a friend.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
He's eating gravy. I also force fed him some tuna cubes. He's attacking the gravy and is interested in food when I open cans, but he never goes for the solids.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

mistaya posted:

It is important to get something inside him asap because cats go into renal failure if they don’t eat for 2-3days. Someone just lost a cat on this very page to that exact thing so do take it seriously. Literally anything you can get him to eat is fine, but you may find better luck with something strong smelling (heating up wet food to get it stanky works often.)

Cats will stop eating for tons of reasons and it’s usually a good idea to go to the vet if it persists for any length of time.

Using a large syringe to squirt wet food directly in their mouths also works well if you can't get them to be interested in food on their own. I've also found that chicken baby food (the little Gerber cans) is almost impossible for them to resist. The terrible smell is intoxicating for them.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 18, 2019

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Christoph posted:

He's eating gravy. I also force fed him some tuna cubes. He's attacking the gravy and is interested in food when I open cans, but he never goes for the solids.

This could end up being a tooth thing. He's might have a tooth that hurts when he tries to eat solid food and that is why he is avoiding it.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
He ate a good portion of some Friskies, which has relieved me. He also had a bit more diarrhea. Will report what the vet says.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Bought the cats a new wet food. Different brand, same thing - chicken flavored pate.

Picky bastards won't touch it. :argh:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

What's the thread opinion on the Purina Tidy Cat Breeze litter system?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001411SK0/

I just got it on a the recommendation of a friend, going to give it a try. My cat is a heavy pisser, so the Pretty Litter just didn't work out.

Speaking of which...
Free to a good home: 1 starter bag of Pretty Litter kitty litter.

https://prettylittercats.com/

I don't want to pay to send it back, as it's a monthly subscription service. Must come get it in the Boston area.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Squashy Nipples posted:

What's the thread opinion on the Purina Tidy Cat Breeze litter system?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001411SK0/

I just got it on a the recommendation of a friend, going to give it a try. My cat is a heavy pisser, so the Pretty Litter just didn't work out.
Disclaimer: I am resigned to my fate of at-least-once-daily poo poo-scooping for my cats' remaining lifespans and no longer seek ways to make it more tolerable. My cats are also stupid and will take any opportunity to try to kill themselves. My life revolves around this simple truth.

I have two requirements for litter solutions:
1. The litter box must be easy to scoop and clean thoroughly.
2. The litter material must be (reasonably) safe for cats.

The Breeze litter system fails both. The box is the wrong shape/size/construction to easily clean, and the litter material is not safe for cats if they consume it (as suggested by the first Amazon review, featuring an Xray of their cat having ingested the pellets).

If you don't care about it taking forever to thoroughly sanitize the thing, and you're sure that your cat will never develop a relentless appetite for eating forbidden materials, then I say knock yourself out. Report back with your findings.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
The vet says the cat may just have a sensitive stomach. She is doing bloodwork and will know more tomorrow. He vomited up what looked like tapeworm segments. I brought them in and she said they don't look like tapeworm segments to her... That confused the hell out of me. They look identical to what you see when you GIS tapeworm segments.

He still isn't very interested in food.

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007
A colorful mix of Boomshine and Logic
I could use some help with my cat. I have two currently. One that’s 10 months old and the other is almost 3 months. The 3 month old is doing great. Very affectionate and loving and the two cats get along really well. Their dynamic is really good and they play/groom each other.

The big problem I’m having is the 8 month old, really since I got him 3 months ago, has been having GI and fecal incontinence issues. His poop is pretty well formed, definitely not diarrhea, and he does use his litter box but around 3-4x a week he’ll sit and leave streaks on our bedspread, couch, or floor. He doesn’t seem to be doing it intentionally. The other big symptom is that his rear end in a top hat is super red and angry looking and basically always is. His urination seems normal and he seems to be able to pass the poop pretty easily. He’s also vomited twice. No blood or anything weird in the vomit and I’ve never seen blood in his poop either.

About a month ago he started having problems with his 3rd eyelid where it was sticking. That seemed to get a bit better after we changed his food but the other symptoms didn’t change at all.

He’s seen a vet a few times now and feels like she has no idea. She treated him for worms and switched his food to a hypoallergenic one. She said his anal tone was good and squeezed out his anal glands just in case their was an infection there. She said the gland fluid looked normal. That helped his third eyelid problem like I said but didn’t seem to make much of an impact otherwise. It’s also entirely possible that it just got better on its own. The vet also did stool studies on him and she said the consistency was normal with no blood, ova, or parasites.

We reached out to the cat cafe he came from and they said that they don’t remember him having any GI problems. It didn’t sound like they had him long and there were a ton of other cats there so I’m not sure how much they’d know what was one cat vs another. Especially since you don’t notice the streaks until he moved on.

He’s also having some behavioral problems like biting toes and running around all over knocking poo poo over but I think that’s normal teenage cat stuff. He doesn’t seem like he feels bad. He eats and drinks well and runs around all the time with the other cat.

Any ideas what it could be or what I can do? Right now we’re changing our bed sheets about 2-3x a week because of this. It’s really affecting our ability to bond with him since it’s hard not to be annoyed and grossed out that he smells like poop a lot and is always getting poo poo everywhere.

Southern Vulcan fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 19, 2019

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
I feel like my vet railroaded me. They didn't seem concerned about my cat's loss of appetite, said he probably had gastroenteritis and did a blood test. They were going to administer a hydration shot but they moroningly pit him near another cat when they were going to inject him so he hulked outand wouldn't let them do any more than take blood.

They had no interest in what I said about him normally coughing up a big hairball once a week.

Anyway, awaiting blood test and will probably take him to another vet.

Anyone here know what to look for in terms of assessing hairball blockage?

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

Christoph posted:

I feel like my vet railroaded me. They didn't seem concerned about my cat's loss of appetite, said he probably had gastroenteritis and did a blood test. They were going to administer a hydration shot but they moroningly pit him near another cat when they were going to inject him so he hulked outand wouldn't let them do any more than take blood.

They had no interest in what I said about him normally coughing up a big hairball once a week.

Anyway, awaiting blood test and will probably take him to another vet.

Anyone here know what to look for in terms of assessing hairball blockage?

My cat just went through something like this so everything is of course exactly his diagnosis.

I thought my cat just threw up hairballs regularly, but he may have inflammatory bowel disease since like basically forever. He suddenly had no interest in solid food, but would lick up canned food liquid then vomit it up later. Anti-nausea medicines did nothing to stop vomiting either. He lost almost 2 pounds in a week.

My vet would squeeze Harold's intestine to see if he had any blockages or pain, which Harold didn't. Harold eventually got an ultrasound which showed inflamed intestines, then led to the corticosteroid and antibiotic shots. The shots were less than a 24 hour turn around for him to go from not moving to begging for food after a harrowing week of getting worse and worse.

So get an ultrasound machine I guess.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

For anyone who has doubts about your vet: find a new vet. If you feel like you can't trust your vet, you need a new one.

Also, if you're worried about something specific, please ask your vet if there are additional tests that would help. Some vets are hesitant to recommend additional testing that may not provide anything conclusive, because they don't want to be accused of tacking on fees. But those tests may give you peace of mind. For example, an intestinal blockage is usually super easy to rule out if you're willing to pay for an X-ray.

GI tract issues in particular are famously hard to definitively nail down without invasive organ biopsies, so try to give your vet as much information as possible without affecting the cat's quality of life -- including blood tests, imaging, etc. When a vet starts saying something vague like "he might have a sensitive stomach" or "you could try switching his food to something else," it sounds like your vet has reached the end of the diagnostics they think you'll agree to and they're grasping at straws.

Once you reach that point, you can either explicitly ask for more diagnostics or get yourself to another vet who might geek out a little more over your cat and volunteer more options. (This is what veterinary universities are excellent for, in the US.)

Christoph posted:

Tapeworms and hairballs
Tapeworm evidence is usually found as proglottids (little rice-shaped things) in cat feces/around the cat's anus, not as segments being vomited up, but segments can be vomited up and you should check with a different vet if you have doubts. Some vets may even know a lab where they could send it out to be conclusively identified as a tapeworm or not, if you're willing to pay the fee.

If your cat coughs up a big hairball once a week, please brush your cat daily. You can explicitly ask your vet if they could take images (e.g., X-rays or ultrasound as mentioned) to rule out a blockage.

Southern Vulcan posted:

Help I have a kitten and it's tracking poo poo everywhere
Easy stuff first.

Biting
Biting toes is something you should discourage. You can yelp really dramatically when he does it and immediately stop playing with him/giving him attention so he knows it hurt you and it's no longer playtime as far as you're concerned. Feel free to really over-dramatize the whole thing even if it didn't hurt you. Over time, he'll get the hint that biting you isn't fun.

Knocking poo poo over
Knocking poo poo over is what cats are born to do. You can train them to stay off of counters if you want. It just takes time and patience.

Food allergies
Switching a cat's food to a hypoallergenic diet is a red flag to me, personally, unless a lot of other diagnostics were done first. It's basically a last ditch effort when you throw up your hands and say "maybe it's an allergy?" but you have to be really diligent about enforcing a limited diet if you want to actually rule out a food allergy. In a multi-cat household, it's incredibly hard to limit one cat's diet without changing all cats, since there will be cross-contamination from grooming, drinking, etc.

We took one of our cats to a veterinary allergist once when we had run out of every other option, and he told us that food allergies often manifest in the cat's face and mouth, moreso than in the intestines - things like fur loss, excessive scratching at its mouth, vomiting. I haven't done the research to see if there's scientific evidence to back him up, since our vet ended up concluding it was a skin/tissue disorder and not a food allergy, but the claim was certainly interesting.

Scooting
It's hard to tell from your post whether he has an issue or not, or how bad it might be. Scooting isn't really alarming, per se - scooting in some cats is perfectly normal. I don't know why, but maybe some cats didn't get taught how to clean their assholes properly or they just dislike doing it or whatever. If that's the case, you might be able to improve your own quality of life just by putting a sacrificial floor mat down between the litter box and higher-value targets like your bed or couch. Just make sure you still thoroughly clean the rug every time he does it.

What does seem alarming, though, is your description of his anus looking inflamed, and the uncertainty in your descriptions of his fecal habits. Are his feces noticeably smaller than your other cat's? Do you ever see him in the litter box, looking like he wants to poop, but nothing comes out? Does he clean his anus himself, or does he only ever wipe it on something? What exactly does "pretty well-formed" mean to you?

GI tract issues can be caused by anything from parasites to infections to immune disorders to blockages or even just stress. I can't over-emphasize how ridiculously broad "GI problem" is in cats. An inflamed anus is a definite symptom that something could be wrong, but if he's eating and drinking and eliminating normally, you might not feel like it's useful to investigate it exhaustively. It could be something simple, like a parasite (some of which can stubbornly survive an initial round of treatment), but it could be something more unusual, like an inflammatory disease.

Something to be aware of with respect to parasites is some vets have multiple types of stool sample tests they can perform. The most basic test, the fecal float test, catches the most obvious/common ones but can miss some intestinal parasites. In particular, one of our cats came from the shelter with a Giardia infection - it didn't show up on the basic float test, but it did show up on the more targeted test that looked for Giardia antigens. Tapeworm infestations are also not usually found by fecal tests.

So basically I've probably left you with more questions than answers. If I were in your place, I'd try to track down what's going on, because it does sound like your cat is showing signs of discomfort - with the caveat that if he's scooting aggressively, he could be inflaming his own anus and causing a vicious cycle. You can start by asking a vet if a blood test or X-ray would give any more information about what could be going on, or ask exactly what they've ruled out with the fecal test(s) they've already done.

If you can, you might want to try taking him to a cat-specific vet or a veterinary university where they could do more diagnostic imaging. Vet universities love weird poo poo.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Reality posted:

My cat just went through something like this so everything is of course exactly his diagnosis.

I thought my cat just threw up hairballs regularly, but he may have inflammatory bowel disease since like basically forever. He suddenly had no interest in solid food, but would lick up canned food liquid then vomit it up later. Anti-nausea medicines did nothing to stop vomiting either. He lost almost 2 pounds in a week.

My vet would squeeze Harold's intestine to see if he had any blockages or pain, which Harold didn't. Harold eventually got an ultrasound which showed inflamed intestines, then led to the corticosteroid and antibiotic shots. The shots were less than a 24 hour turn around for him to go from not moving to begging for food after a harrowing week of getting worse and worse.

So get an ultrasound machine I guess.

We are scheduling an ultrasound.

The blood work said he has tons of white blood cells, so we are worried it's lymphoma. That's what the shittier vet said. We're waiting for the better vet (who we should have gone to first) to call us with their opinion.

edit: did you cat have elevated white blood cells? I'm assuming the worst, of course, so I am prepared for it, but I'd like to know.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Christoph posted:

The blood work said he has tons of white blood cells, so we are worried it's lymphoma. That's what the shittier vet said. We're waiting for the better vet (who we should have gone to first) to call us with their opinion.

edit: did you cat have elevated white blood cells? I'm assuming the worst, of course, so I am prepared for it, but I'd like to know.

This sounds like exactly what we went through with Rexie :smith:

The good news is if you're catching this early it may not be lymphoma, but the sort of inflammation in the bowel like this can be pre-cancerous. Rexie had to have a biopsy done to determine if it was cancerous (it was not), and now she is just on a super strict hydrolyzed protein diet and prednisolone to keep things under control. We were told that as long as it's managed well she can have a full and happy life without this ever turning into cancer.

It made me a true pet insurance convert, as I think her cumulative bills to date are easily approaching 10 grand, but we're out a fraction of that. The only ongoing expense is her food that is pretty expensive.

I hope your kitty's issue turns out to be something manageable as well. Rexie's situation isn't ideal, but she's worth it (at least ultrasounds on a sphynx are super easy), and I just wanted to chime in that even if it's a chronic condition, there are lesser scenarios that have an excellent prognosis, but here's hoping it's something more acute like an infection that can be knocked out easily.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

BaronVonVaderham posted:

(at least ultrasounds on a sphynx are super easy)

Not to interrupt serious cat medical chat, but: does this involve slathering on that gel from movie ultrasounds? I'm picturing an extremely miffed hairless cat covered in ultrasound goo, and I'm not gonna lie, it's a great image

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

LoreOfSerpents posted:

For anyone who has doubts about your vet: find a new vet. If you feel like you can't trust your vet, you need a new one.

Also, if you're worried about something specific, please ask your vet if there are additional tests that would help. Some vets are hesitant to recommend additional testing that may not provide anything conclusive, because they don't want to be accused of tacking on fees. But those tests may give you peace of mind. For example, an intestinal blockage is usually super easy to rule out if you're willing to pay for an X-ray.

Just want to restate this, as it's so important.

When I was worried Lucky had a hairball blockage, the vet wasn't convinced due to what I'd described but offered to also do an X-ray to check for it anyway. His and Toaster's vet is very good about offering different diagnostics on their own to address my concerns about things for peace of mind, as well as taking the time explain his reasoning.

Please don't be afraid to ask questions of your vet and ask why they have come to their conclusions. This can be especially hard if you're not used to questioning any sort of authority, but it's a very important skill to develop for your pets. You don't have to be confrontational (and you'll get better results if you're polite!!), but your pets need you to be their voice and understand their care as thoroughly as you can.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Antivehicular posted:

Not to interrupt serious cat medical chat, but: does this involve slathering on that gel from movie ultrasounds? I'm picturing an extremely miffed hairless cat covered in ultrasound goo, and I'm not gonna lie, it's a great image

Yup. It's exactly the same as a human ultrasound. Rexie is super chill, though. They actually used to do one every time we're in even though it's not necessary; they don't charge us, they just wanted the practice on their new machine and she's the best test subject.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
There's a foam 'cradle' they put cats in for the ultrasound. Imagine this but with a naked, pink cat, and a bevvy of technicians that want to cuddle her.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Dienes posted:

and a bevvy of technicians that want to cuddle her.

It's true, the second she goes in the back everyone drops whatever they're doing and runs over to see her. She's kind of a big deal.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Reality posted:

My cat just went through something like this so everything is of course exactly his diagnosis

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This sounds like exactly what we went through with Rexie :smith:

Thank you both for sharing! This at least gives me hope it's not necessarily instant death that awaits him. Ultrasound is scheduled.

In the meantime I am babying the cat and I made a new extra-long cat-fishing pole for garden usage and he is losing his mind playing :unsmith:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TIL about the Lykoi breed aka Werewolf Cats

https://i.imgur.com/2pbYBzB.mp4

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TIL I also learnt about their $2500AUD price tag :suicide:

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
We had a baby last year, and one of the cats hasn't taken to him well. She doesn't like being too close to him, and lately she's begun peeing in front of the litter box. The vet checked her out when she got vaccinated last week, and didn't find any issues, so I guess it's psychological. We tried putting up one of those hormone vapour things, but it didn't make any difference.

Does anyone have any good ideas to how I can fix this?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I just adopted my first cat, Trina, from a local rescue last night!

Stupid question I should have asked the shelter: How early on should I schedule a general checkup at the vet? Is it a good idea to pretty much as soon as possible to get an idea for things? Or wait until ???. The shelter provided vet records for her and I've no immediate concerns.

She's settled in remarkably quickly. The cat my family adopted in middle school spent a couple of days in hiding, but Trina's not much phased by change apparently!

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 20, 2019

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Stupid question I should have asked the shelter: How early on should I schedule a general checkup at the vet? Is it a good idea to pretty much as soon as possible to get an idea for things? Or wait until ???. The shelter provided vet records for her and I've no immediate concerns.

She's settled in remarkably quickly. The cat my family adopted in middle school spent a couple of days in hiding, but Trina's not much phased by change apparently!

Look at those whiskers!

A financial thought on this - we got Jimmy, noticed that his drinking wasn't just an amusing habit but was crazy excessive, got him insurance, and took him to the vet within a week. So of course the insurance won't cover anything to do with his kidneys, ever, because it was diagnosed within the 30 day waiting period (luckily they are paying out for his heart condition, so it's still been worth it).

Obviously it was still the right thing to take him immediately, but for any future cats without specific concerns, we'll be getting the insurance, waiting 30 days, then having a check-up.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Infinitum posted:

Why would you cross a cat with a black rat???

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Congrats on being adopted by Trina! That's a quality cat right there, regal as gently caress.

I'd say generally go find a vet within a week or two. You don't want to go right after you get her and freak her out, but you also want to just get her checked over to make sure the shelter didn't miss anything (our newest, Bishop, brought home worms :(). You also just want to get established with a vet in the event that an emergency pops up at some point. The best asset you can have is a vet who is familiar with your pet and her history!

Also pet insurance. Not sure what Trina's age is, but I'm totally sold on pet insurance after Rexie. It's super cheap if you get them on it young, and it's critical to do it before there's any excuse to deny you on the basis of pre-existing conditions. You will need a recent vet checkup record to sign up (exam within the past X months, and you'll have to request the chart from the vet and send it in to verify). They will HAPPILY take your money and then just deny coverage when something comes up and you have no recourse, so the earlier the better.

"Worst" case scenario there is you have a super healthy cat who never really needs it and you "wasted" a whopping $150-200 a year on insurance....in which case, congrats on your miracle cat. But on the other end, Rexie's condition would be pushing a $10k cumulative vet bill over the last 2 years. She has a $100 deductible then 90% coverage, so we're out like $1100 for everything, including the biopsy surgery and multiple heart scans.

Another cat pro-tip: They perceive their space vertically as well as horizontally. Make sure you have some cat trees to climb on and high perches from which to look down imperiously on you mere mortals below.

Infinitum posted:

I know that cat and his owner through numerous sphynx groups on facebook :3:

But ugh, don't get Dienes started. She wants one so badly and as you discovered they're expensive as fuuuuuuuuuuck. It's such a new breed, the waiting lists at the few breeders that have them are enormous.

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

Christoph posted:

No, all his blood work and temperature and everything were normal. He wouldn't/couldn't eat, was extremely dehydrated from vomiting and wouldn't move. I'm glad your guy is playing and happy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have the Catit flower fountain and I mean, it works, but there's all sorts of nooks and crevices and separate parts that make it a pain to clean. Are there any good water fountains that are simpler and easier to clean? Ideally made of metal or ceramic. Filtered is fine, though to be quite honest you should really be refilling the fountain every day with fresh water instead of recycling it for days on end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Reality posted:

No, all his blood work and temperature and everything were normal. He wouldn't/couldn't eat, was extremely dehydrated from vomiting and wouldn't move. I'm glad your guy is playing and happy.

Ah I see. Welp.

He's not playing today, he seems uncomfortable. Still eating, but he is loafing in the dark. Heavy sigh.