Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Rat posted:

Hmm, in the basic 1-4 corner, my dad got a Steiner P4Xi for about $500, and it's nice and clear.

For a tad more, I'd personally go with the Vortex PST gen2 1-6 with the MRAD reticle (personal preference, most of my other optics and spotting scope are in mils) which is about $600 new.

If you can afford to be patient and maybe bump your price range up just a smidge, the Vortex Razor II 1-6 is a phenomenal scope. I have one with the MRAD reticle on my AUG and it's crisp and clear, and the illumination is red dot bright. I sometimes see them going used for $900ish, though they don't last long at that price.

If you can stomach gun forum classifieds, you can get some solid deals on used optics as long as you know what you want.

Really once you get into the $500+ price range it's hard to go wrong in terms of quality and customer support for something basic and functional.

how is the Vortex PST gen2 1-6 at 1x? It looks like its only illuminated in the very middle, is it bright enough to work as a red dot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

It absolutely is on my razor II. I haven't looked through the PST 1-6, but have read that the illumination is comparable.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

How do offset sights work? I know that when zeroed the barrel will be aiming up in regards to the main optic, with an offset mount is it actually in line with the barrel? As in if you offset mounted a sight and zeroed for 50m and then shot at a target 300m away, would you be hitting wide to the left?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

No need to account for any right/left weirdness as long as it's a good type of offset sight that positions the sights/optic center line over the bore with the gun rotated. (Magpul MBUS PRO, Larue Aimpoint Micro offset mount, etc.) A generic 45 degree offset mount may not work so well.

Here's a vid showing the offset sights in action. When coming up with stages, I made this one specifically to test how effective they would be, hence all the short/long shot transitions baked in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-YEEDR2-jo

(Yes, shooter was also required to yell POCKET SAND and toss the sand with their strong hand at the start too. I wrote that in too just to screw with people.)

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The tactikilt is tacticool

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

posting from the macro thread since i think its still the gun thread

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i appreciate the *cling* out the window

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Went to the Black Canyon this weekend. Went to the bottom twice in the same day. Legs are exceedingly sore now. This is the second time I've done this and I'm not sure I'd recommend it to most people.

Tried some night shots, definitely still have a lot to learn in this area.

First real pano attempt, due to my camera's hi res mode, the original pano file came out to 14900x6134 pixels.

My mandate also includes neat bugs.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Beautiful country, awesome pictures! I need to head down to the Southwest for a long weekend one of these days.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Those are nice, dude.

It's loving fairytale land out here in the Rockies.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

Those are nice, dude.

It's loving fairytale land out here in the Rockies.

witcher 4 looking good

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Thanks, glad y'all like them!

Apart from the pano shot, I did those all in DxO Photolab. Really like it since I was able to process all of those in under an hour, whereas Lightroom would have taken much longer.

Hitting South Dakota for the 4th of July weekend here, so I should get some more shots to post soon.

Also just got my Beretta 1301 back from the gunsmith. Had them install a rear sight and open up the loading port. Can't say how that will do until the next 3-gun match.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Some from the RMNP trip so far.

This dude followed us for a bit. He got very close. I was pretty certain he was going to climb on my camera.

Rocky Flats Wildlife Refuge. Former nuke weapons plan turned into a refuge after a mishap. 3.6 roentgen. Not great. Not terrible.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nice, is that Alberta falls?

I just got back from South Dakota yesterday. I tell you what, South Dakota is loving weird.

Custer state park.

Badlands.

Some panos, Badlands had some good overlooks for panos.

Devil's Tower (I used my 12-40 lens for this, cranked all the way out to 40.)

Jewel Cave. This was my first time in a cave since getting a newer camera than my old rear end Canon.

And now some non-outdoors weirdness.

One of the creepy animatronic cowboys at Wall Drug. Haven't been to Wall Drug? Go check it out if you're in the area, you can't miss it with all the signs. It's trippy as gently caress.

Had dinner at the saloon where Wild Bill Hickock was shot, cause welp, when in Rome. The weird thing was that the upstairs used to be a brothel, and they had a bunch of paintings of the old working girls on the walls. But they all looked cursed as gently caress.

Also accidentally got caught in the 4th of July parade in Deadwood. This guy was the highlight of the parade.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Walked the Camino de Santiago a month ago, and managed to get some decent shots on my way over the Pyrenees. Well, as decent as you can get with a mediocre cell phone camera.

I was walking in the beginning of May, but the temperature at the top of the mountain was like -10C and there was a strong wind, so the morning dew had frozen solid on the trees. There's no snow in any of the following shots, it's all dew, and it makes for a pretty cool effect in my opinion.

This was only day one. The rest of the trip was also beautiful, but more cultural beauty, not so much nature beauty.

Joda fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 9, 2019

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

anyone here kayak?

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

anyone here kayak?

I do, mostly kayak fishing now though. I am using one of these right now:

https://paddling.com/gear/pelican-international-bounty-100-angler-kayak/

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Joda posted:

Walked the Camino de Santiago a month ago, and managed to get some decent shots on my way over the Pyrenees. Well, as decent as you can get with a mediocre cell phone camera.

I was walking in the beginning of May, but the temperature at the top of the mountain was like -10C and there was a strong wind, so the morning dew had frozen solid on the trees. There's no snow in any of the following shots, it's all dew, and it makes for a pretty cool effect in my opinion.

This was only day one. The rest of the trip was also beautiful, but more cultural beauty, not so much nature beauty.

I really like the foggy brooding atmosphere of these.

Just did Sky Pond and the like yesterday and I'd really like to do it at some point with foggy, brooding clouds like you have there. All the times I've gone, it's been sunny and somehow it never seems quite right.

Loch Vale

Lake of Glass

Sky pond, ground level

Sky pond, from a rock outcropping up above the SW side of the lake that took some scrambling to get to. On the plus side, there was a large snow field on the other side of the outcropping, and I launched myself down it and slid all the way to the bottom, maybe 150m or so. Way easier than downhill scrambling. When I got to the bottom, I heard everyone on the other side of the lake cheering. That was neat. Totally forgot to yell WITNESS ME before starting my slide though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
poo poo we couldn’t make Sky Pond last week during an afternoon push. Snow wasn’t cooperative.

If you have time, hike to Odessa Lake from the Fern Lake trailhead. About 8 miles round trip. It was our favorite hike of the trip.

Oh, and Rock Inn is a great restaurant.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Oh yeah, that's a good one. I normally hit Odessa lake via the Bear Lake trailhead. Start there, hit Lake Helene and Odessa and Fern and then back down to the shuttle stop at the Fern Lake trailhead. Makes it something like 9 miles total, but only the first bit of it to Lake Helene is uphill, the rest is downhill or flat.

There's a couple side trips you can take too, one to Spruce and Loomis lake (which has a trail) and one to Tourmaline lake (which has a trail that peters out halfway up in a big talus slope, definitely the rougher of the two side trips.)

Did you hit any of the other big ones like Mills and Black lake?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Nah. We did Loch twice - once from Bear Lake to Haiyaha and the other lakes on the way, then again from Glacier Gorge trailhead trying to hit Sky Pond.

Fern/Odessa was another day and then we quickly hiked around Flathead mountains in the Boulder Open Space area. We definitely have a lot more to go back to.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It was definitely snowier on the trail up to Sky Pond yesterday than it was last year around the same time, so if you hit it last week there was probably even more. Don't blame you for skipping that one; going up Timberline falls is a dicey enough proposition as it is.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea that’s what the locals were saying. Honestly, it wasn’t smart to try and make it there for an evening arrival. Had we hit the trail around 6 am, we’d probably been fine with the snow being somewhat hard. Spikes and poles can only do so much in the afternoon.

Here’s one from Odessa. I’ve got a few from the same time (around noon) but I didn’t much like the light.

I believe this one is on the way to Fern Lake?!

bloops fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 15, 2019

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nice, I like the shutter speed on that creek shot. Enough to show motion but without that clean silky long exposure look.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

holocaust bloopers posted:

I believe this one is on the way to Fern Lake?!

This. This is where I'm going to just walk to and disappear at when I get my cancer/alzheimers diagnosis.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

For real. Watching someone die of something horrible and incurable, stuck in a hospital stuck full of tubes that are prolonging their existence but not their lives is a sobering thing. Don't want to go out like that.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

anyone here kayak?

Short: Nope

Long: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I went on an artificial white water course last year and had some basic instruction. If you can get over being flipped upside down in the water while attached to the kayak and not panic it's sort of cool.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

anyone here kayak?

I have before, with ocean kayaks. They’re a little wider than the river version, and I thought they rode a little better. Some of them are the sit-on rather than sit-in version too, if you’re feeling weird about that part of being on a kayak.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Lake Agnes at the blue hour.

Lake Agnes at night. Not sure how much I'm enjoying the night photography thing. It's a lot of setup and getting ate by mosquitoes while waiting, plus I rolled my ankle on the way back to my car. Plus post processing feels like a weird nut roll compared to normal light pictures. Was gonna do another hike this morning, but with my ankle still feeling out of whack I didn't think it would be a good idea to toss another 12 miles on top of it. :mad:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yo that’s dope

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I swear this thread has done more to add to my bucket list than anything else I’ve ever read. I need to get my camera out on the reefs at work, there’s some gorgeous stuff out there that nobody ever really gets to see.

e: a lot of the really cool stuff in this thread comes from National Parks in the US, right?

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 20, 2019

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yep. I’m done with hiking trips for the year. Next up is Vegas and Argentina.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It's probably a good thing I came home, because right when I got home, my brother found a huge raccoon lurking in a tree near the chicken coop.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm likely moving away from Fuji gear. Nikon has refurb Z6 bodies + 24-70 F4 lens for 1750, which is like a stupid deal considering the body itself brand new is 2K. Back to that full frame goodness.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

anyone here kayak?

Uh.... yes?

Crab trap from my both my yaks.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s a gorgeous day on Biscayne Bay today :)

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

Lake Agnes at the blue hour.

Lake Agnes at night. Not sure how much I'm enjoying the night photography thing. It's a lot of setup and getting ate by mosquitoes while waiting, plus I rolled my ankle on the way back to my car. Plus post processing feels like a weird nut roll compared to normal light pictures. Was gonna do another hike this morning, but with my ankle still feeling out of whack I didn't think it would be a good idea to toss another 12 miles on top of it. :mad:

Great pictures! I was just there over the weekend, spent 4 days in State Forest State Park and then four days near Grand Lake. I brought my dogs so I didn’t get to hike much.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nice, that must have been a good time! Dogs always seem to enjoy jumping in, up until they realize how cold it is.

Went up to the Snowy Range area today, took some family for a short hike.

I like how this one came out.

Panorama shot out of 8 vertically oriented shots.

Left right when it was starting to rain. The rain was actually the only reason I pulled this shot off, got all the old tourists away from this spot (50m from a parking lot.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yesterday was a long day. Did the Mirror lake trail, with some off trail rampaging added on. Rough route as follows:
(Standard disclaimer, don't try these shenanigans without a map/GPS/physical fitness/etc)

Was boots on trail at 6:10AM, so I figured I'd have enough time to work with. The main Mirror lake trail is mostly somewhat dull and in the forest, but there is this nice little river that gets crossed a couple times.

Mirror lake, south side looking north.

Mirror lake and the smaller unnamed lake to its north, from up above on the talus slope, looking south.

Smaller unnamed ponds further up slope.

Some flowers on a very steep slope to the northeast of Mirror lake. You can see the lake behind it down there.

Once I got up there, traversed the open expanse over to the sort of peninsula overlooking Emmaline and Cirque lakes. Wanted to get a shot from above. Was a really nice view, though it doesn't translate as well into photos. To the left of this, outside of the frame, was a massive chunk of snow with a six foot deep melt between it and the snow block. I remember looking at it and thinking "mmyep, if I touch that snow, I'm gonna fall off and die."

Fall mountain, basically looking 90 degrees to the right of the previous photo.

Swapped lenses to the 12-40 for one last shot here focusing on the lake. After looking at it now, it almost looks like a face going AYYYYY YOU GUYS

After that I tried to follow the Comanche peak trail back down to rejoin the main Mirror lake trail back. I say 'tried' because up above the treeline, there was no trail. Every so often there would be a cairn, but they were few and far between, and often out of sight range of one another. At some point I lost them entirely and just terrain associated my way back down, even if it meant some steep slopes and careful steps along the way. Ended up hitting the Mirror lake trail maybe 300m north of the actual Comanche peak trail intersection. It's a good thing that I left the 12-40 on my camera, because I saw these two hanging out by a horse hitch rack.

I had to stop and yank my camera out, because I thought I couldn't be seeing right. Too small to be bison and the horns aren't right. Yaks? But they aren't at all native to this area!

As it turns out, a quick google search later led me to some articles of this nature: https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/next/confirmed-sighting-lost-larimer-county-yaks-spotted-near-rocky-mountain-natl-park/73-461499697

So I wasn't hallucinating on mountain air. They WERE yaks. I called the guy from the article and let him know of their location. No clue what he can do about it after all this time, but he seemed thankful.

So yeah, about 16 miles as the crow flies and maybe 2600ish feet of elevation gain. Legs are kinda smoked, ankles are definitely feeling it.