Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The missile truck:

The wheel covers are always lined up with each other, in every picture and video I've seen. They seem to be going with covers that simulate a central tire inflation system. They shouldn't always line up. Wheels turn at different rates and become disoriented with each other.

It's driving me a little nuts.

They seem to have triggered an anti-OCD portion of my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

XK posted:

The missile truck:

The wheel covers are always lined up with each other, in every picture and video I've seen. They seem to be going with covers that simulate a central tire inflation system. They shouldn't always line up. Wheels turn at different rates and become disoriented with each other.

It's okay, it's a tier 0 implementation

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishments Mausoleum > Star Citizen: I'm far from an apologist for CIG, but

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

XK posted:

The missile truck:

I think you might be putting more thought into this than CIG did lol

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if they are slowly turning SQ42 from a Wing Commander like space shooter to an on planet FPS/Tank/Vehicle game with a few space ship "levels". I mean, if I was in their shoes and had to rush out SQ42 by the end of 2020, that is what I would do. Use the built in FPS stuff that Cryengine already does and then fake a few space levels in between.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
just be patient

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen has given me several experiences I will never forget

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/kDQL8UH.gifv

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Thread seems fast again, did something happen? Or is this just weekend shitposting?
I'm still at page 6329.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beexoffel posted:

Thread seems fast again, did something happen? Or is this just weekend shitposting?
I'm still at page 6329.

They're selling a space truck that shoots missiles now. It's supposed to be anti-air but it's very bad at it.

They've made lovely space ArmA. They're making loving ArmA! And they're so bad at it! Especially when space ArmA already exists!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUp_ijBCOVA

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Katsuma posted:

You fight this battle everywhere I see you, like you've got an axe to grind or something. I don't know what sort of stake you've got in this, but whatever it is, it seems like you're pretty personally invested. If this is the hill you want to die on, ain't my place to tell you no.

That being said, I am really, truly, ever-so-sorry for shitposting here.

In the Star Citizen thread.

On Something Awful dot com.

You moron.

nice meltdown

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good space show The Expanse just leaked the Season 4 trailer and drat Chris is going to have to scrap the whole project now https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/cfnz7o/the_expanse_season_4_preview/

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Also, the missile truck can engage at 2000 meters? This is technically doable with a good pistol, and within the defined operational scope of a trained military sniper with a rifle going for a precision shot.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Taintrunner posted:

They're selling a space truck that shoots missiles now. It's supposed to be anti-air but it's very bad at it.

They've made lovely space ArmA. They're making loving ArmA! And they're so bad at it! Especially when space ArmA already exists!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUp_ijBCOVA

Thanks for the update!
So another sale for Bootcha's sales calendar.
I thought most ships there were space trucks with missiles. But I guess this one punches above its weight.
I still think it's weird that it went from up-front paying for the production a game, to paying a sort of rent to make sure development goes on indefinitely.

Edit: O wait, an actual truck, not a space truck like we have in Elite.

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 20, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I kinda get this sneaking suspicion that someone at CIG has realized the best this game is ever gonna be able to do is Rexzilla-style "let's meet here and do a big ground battle maybe with a spaceship in the background" and they're leaning way, way into that. Tons of the "totally not marketing" stuff is basically people doing Planetside 2 But Worse, and the sales and new ships and stuff seem to be focusing more on moving troops, ground battles, etc. On the other hand, whoever said that they probably are shifting the focus for Squadron and need a lot of these assets and might as well sell them could be right too, or we could both be right. It just seems like a big chunk of this last year has focused on kinda smaller ground battle stuff instead of the big insane "What if players could build their own planet" type poo poo they used to focus on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beet Wagon posted:

I kinda get this sneaking suspicion that someone at CIG has realized the best this game is ever gonna be able to do is Rexzilla-style "let's meet here and do a big ground battle maybe with a spaceship in the background" and they're leaning way, way into that. Tons of the "totally not marketing" stuff is basically people doing Planetside 2 But Worse, and the sales and new ships and stuff seem to be focusing more on moving troops, ground battles, etc. On the other hand, whoever said that they probably are shifting the focus for Squadron and need a lot of these assets and might as well sell them could be right too, or we could both be right. It just seems like a big chunk of this last year has focused on kinda smaller ground battle stuff instead of the big insane "What if players could build their own planet" type poo poo they used to focus on.

I feel like ground combat is only going to be worse than the mess of space combat they have. I think its just that they've started to mine most of their ideas for spaceships and they've already presold out the wazoo.

A new gameplay context is a good way to introduce a ton of new things you can purchase, without the problem of invalidating old space ships that they already sold and making people just melt to buy the new one.

This way its easier to say "oh keep your Idris whatever that's still valid for space but you're definitely going to want some hoverbikes and tanks for ground too!" And that seems logical to them since they're so busy fantasizing about living in this world.

There'll be a big focus on submarines and ships next once they've sold all the tanks and SAMs they can. :cheeky:

You are right that the last trailers have focused on planetary stuff, but I think that's just to keep selling things, and also to maintain the illusion that this will be a full Matrix reality. If you just keep showing ships awkwardly physics bumping into each other in space, its not as compelling as showing someone riding a tram through a future city.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beet Wagon posted:

I think the SQ42 excuse is probably at least partially correct.

It perhaps also gives an insight as to what sort of things we can expect from SQ42, you know, the epic futuristic space based story that will apparently contain world war 2 tech vehicles that will somehow be part of the game...

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Taintrunner posted:

Good space show The Expanse just leaked the Season 4 trailer and drat Chris is going to have to scrap the whole project now https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/cfnz7o/the_expanse_season_4_preview/

Woo hoo!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

leprosy cat is :3:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Taintrunner posted:

:aaaaa:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

colonelwest posted:

I'm the missiles instantly teleporting 10 meters away from their launchers and then no-clipping around with janky 90 degree movements.

I'm the two on the right that are just wheels

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
This is a real conversation from tyool 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

"oh wow, the elevators actually work now?" said Gwyn LordOfPussy

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

I'm glad Gwyn-LordOfPussy is seeing the light.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

They will be making a ground mission for SQ42 and just flipping the currently completed assets into SC for the nerds to consume like loving idiotic ant eaters

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Sarsapariller posted:

Here's 700 dollars worth of this turd failing to shoot down a single ship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8fdWSmie-U

loving hell that looks awful.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Didn't they, at some point, pledge that all of these sales were for development of the actual vehicles? As in, "We wouldn't charge you so much but we need the money to make this exciting new thing."

That kind of goes out the window when they're charging 140 bucks for a truck that is clearly already in the game. What's the excuse for that or did they even bother with one?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The absolute balls it must takes to charge nearly 3 times the price of a normal triple A game just for a single asset for an unfinished game that is currently still in alpha.

Chris Roberts could full swimming pools with his man juice if he was to rub.

Vs the absolute stupidity you must have to give him money for such a dumb thing.

The Star Citizen project is truly amazing as a disaster to watch.

In the end, the guy selling the popcorn is the real winner.

10 out of 10, would mock again.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

As in a team of 50 to 150 people will work for 3 years, designing, developing, completing then marketing a finished product and then only ask for $50.

Chris Roberts can have a group of 10 to 30 of his employees, work for a couple of months designing and modeling a poorly thought out single model, that works poorly and has no really design style, for an alpha game that has struggled to have a disciplined production schedule, and then say it is worth three times more than the product of the first company.

Unbelievable, yet I believe it.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
That gif of the rocket materializing 10 meters ahead of the launcher then exploding 10 meters away from the ship is magical.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

This video is really worth watching. It's such an unintentionally true take on the state of the project.

Summary: A Citizen gets really excited about weapon attachments and wants to buy a few and demonstrate them, but literally every part of the game is now broken and he basically spends 7 minutes struggling to accomplish even the most basic things while getting extremely puzzled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KyLa5K6X-4

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

When a Citizen posts "Well it's not happening to me!" in response to bug complaints, this guy is who I imagine. Everything is burning down but he's so used to it that he just kind of soldiers on.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
A year ago, I was drunk chatting in Jabber and for some reason it devolved into looking at the Star Citizen roadmap and I declared that if 3.6.0 would ever come out, then I would download and play it, because I was assuming the "local persistent inventories" thing or whatever meant persistence would be added to the game (that isn't persistence at all and I was completely wrong). Well, I got the e-mail saying 3.6.0 was available and I wasn't going to back down on my boasting so I downloaded it and booted it up.

I ended up playing it for about two or three hours. I had to figure out the character creator, since it wasn't very intuitive, and it took me a while to figure out that I was blending heads together or something weird like that. Because it just cannot tell me what the heck I'm trying to do, you know? I eventually got my dude created, so I spawned in and messed around with some items in my little room. I dropped them and they started to glitch through the floor and spin all over the place. This is a good start. At least the game was running at a playable framerate for me. That wasn't the case at all 3 years ago.

Well, the tutorial text tells me that I can get my ship on the first level, so I exit the room and follow the signs and find the ship kiosk. I spawn it and walk out to get inside. It takes me a while once I get inside to figure out how everything works since I haven't played this game in forever. I also have a suspicion that my HUD is messed up and doesn't handle 16:10 resolutions well as lots of the HUD is cut off on the sides. So, I look around my PDA thingy and choose what I believe to be a simple patrol and shoot mission. I choose one that gives me only 1000 aUEC or so because I don't want something too difficult as I don't quite know what I'm doing, and because I'm only in a light fighter craft (I had a pirate pack kickstarter, so I have a Drake Buccaneer (gently caress you for ruining the Cutlass)).

My first task is trying to figure out how to get to the mission point. The game helpfully tells me to press B, align towards the mission, wait until it reaches 100%, then hold B to quantum travel. I do that just fine. But now I'm at a planet and my mission is like 1000 km away and I just cannot figure out how to get there. It took me like 30 minutes before I could figure out how to get to that mission, partly because I can't figure out how to just quantum travel in a direction, and partly because the star map keeps bugging out and things disappear and I can't figure out where I am. Well, I eventually manage to warp somewhere else, then figure out how to create a quantum travel marker at my mission objective, then travel there. Cool. I'm figuring it out. I can do this.

I start my patrol and it tosses some enemies at me. I'm flying around and shooting them. I'm not doing that great, but it was to be expected. They tossed a Cutlass and a Gladius (?) at me. I managed to make it out of the fight with one wing/engine gone. Also, my HUD is bugged and it doesn't tell me when I'm taking damage or shield damage, so the fact that I lost half my ship came at a surprise to me.

So, I jump to the next spot and the game throws another large wave of enemies at me. I'm flying around and trying my best with one laser left, but because of how janky flying is and whatnot, I just cannot do enough damage to break through the shield of my target. And I am also really slow and my target keeps flying like 3000m away, flying in circles, then making a single pass at me. I've been doing this for like 30 minutes and I'm getting absolutely nowhere. And my fuel is now pretty much gone. Since all the enemies are playing keep-away from me, I decide to fly back to the space station and repair.

I barely make it back. I've run out of fuel, but I guess the game lets me use maneuvering thrusters or something so I'm able to land. The game wants me to pay 6000 aUEC to repair my ship. gently caress, this mission is only giving me 1000 aUEC. So I abandon my ship there and go back inside. Previously, I saw that for some reason, I had a Hornet in my ship list in-game (even though I don't own one), so I go and call it. I jump into the ship and I fly back to the mission area.

Well, now there are 6 pirates. 1 Cutlass and 5 Gladius. I manage to kill the Cutlass, since it is a piece of poo poo slow rear end ship that just sits there (gently caress youuu RSI), but now I just cannot for the life of me defeat these Gladiuses. They are just too quick and their shields too strong. I'm trying my best to punch through and kill them, but it isn't working. Eventually, I run out of ammo and the game keeps looping some sort of gun fire/reload audio non-stop. I cannot kill these things. And now my mission expired because it's been an hour since I took it.

I point my ship back towards the space station. I spool up my quantum drive. I hold B. The game crashes. I go to bed.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 20, 2019

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sarsapariller posted:

This video is really worth watching. It's such an unintentionally true take on the state of the project.

Summary: A Citizen gets really excited about weapon attachments and wants to buy a few and demonstrate them, but literally every part of the game is now broken and he basically spends 7 minutes struggling to accomplish even the most basic things while getting extremely puzzled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KyLa5K6X-4

3.50 mins in where he realises the whole world zooms in, not just what is in the sights is great

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'ts too big for the rifle, the lens is black when you don't look through it and when you do the entire world zooms in, not just the view in the sight.
Citizen verdict? "I like it it's cool'

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Nalin posted:

A year ago, I was drunk chatting in Jabber and for some reason it devolved into looking at the Star Citizen roadmap and I declared that if 3.6.0 would ever come out, then I would download and play it, because I was assuming the "local persistent inventories" thing or whatever meant persistence would be added to the game (that isn't persistence at all and I was completely wrong). Well, I got the e-mail saying 3.6.0 was available and I wasn't going to back down on my boasting so I downloaded it and booted it up.

I ended up playing it for about two or three hours. I had to figure out the character creator, since it wasn't very intuitive, and it took me a while to figure out that I was blending heads together or something weird like that. Because it just cannot tell me what the heck I'm trying to do, you know? I eventually got my dude created, so I spawned in and messed around with some items in my little room. I dropped them and they started to glitch through the floor and spin all over the place. This is a good start. At least the game was running at a playable framerate for me. That wasn't the case at all 3 years ago.

Well, the tutorial text tells me that I can get my ship on the first level, so I exit the room and follow the signs and find the ship kiosk. I spawn it and walk out to get inside. It takes me a while once I get inside to figure out how everything works since I haven't played this game in forever. I also have a suspicion that my HUD is messed up and doesn't handle 16:10 resolutions well as lots of the HUD is cut off on the sides. So, I look around my PDA thingy and choose what I believe to be a simple patrol and shoot mission. I choose one that gives me only 1000 aUEC or so because I don't want something too difficult as I don't quite know what I'm doing, and because I'm only in a light fighter craft (I had a pirate pack kickstarter, so I have a Drake Buccaneer (gently caress you for ruining the Cutlass)).

My first task is trying to figure out how to get to the mission point. The game helpfully tells me to press B, align towards the mission, wait until it reaches 100%, then hold B to quantum travel. I do that just fine. But now I'm at a planet and my mission is like 1000 km away and I just cannot figure out how to get there. It took me like 30 minutes before I could figure out how to get to that mission, partly because I can't figure out how to just quantum travel in a direction, and partly because the star map keeps bugging out and things disappear and I can't figure out where I am. Well, I eventually manage to warp somewhere else, then figure out how to create a quantum travel marker at my mission objective, then travel there. Cool. I'm figuring it out. I can do this.

I start my patrol and it tosses some enemies at me. I'm flying around and shooting them. I'm not doing that great, but it was to be expected. They tossed a Cutlass and a Gladius (?) at me. I managed to make it out of the fight with one wing/engine gone. Also, my HUD is bugged and it doesn't tell me when I'm taking damage or shield damage, so the fact that I lost half my ship came at a surprise to me.

So, I jump to the next spot and the game throws another large wave of enemies at me. I'm flying around and trying my best with one laser left, but because of how janky flying is and whatnot, I just cannot do enough damage to break through the shield of my target. And I am also really slow and my target keeps flying like 3000m away, flying in circles, then making a single pass at me. I've been doing this for like 30 minutes and I'm getting absolutely nowhere. And my fuel is now pretty much gone. Since all the enemies are playing keep-away from me, I decide to fly back to the space station and repair.

I barely make it back. I've run out of fuel, but I guess the game lets me use maneuvering thrusters or something so I'm able to land. The game wants me to pay 6000 aUEC to repair my ship. gently caress, this mission is only giving me 1000 aUEC. So I abandon my ship there and go back inside. Previously, I saw that for some reason, I had a Hornet in my ship list in-game (even though I don't own one), so I go and call it. I jump into the ship and I fly back to the mission area.

Well, now there are 6 pirates. 1 Cutlass and 5 Gladius. I manage to kill the Cutlass, since it is a piece of poo poo slow rear end ship that just sits there (gently caress youuu RSI), but now I just cannot for the life of my defeat these Gladiuses. They are just too quick and their shields too strong. I'm trying my best to punch through and kill them, but it isn't working. Eventually, I run out of ammo and the game keeps looping some sort of gun fire/reload audio non-stop. I cannot kill these things. And now my mission expired because it's been an hour since I took it.

I point my ship back towards the space station. I spool up my quantum drive. I hold B. The game crashes. I go to bed.

Such a brave soul, thanks for the trip report commando, remember to pledge more o7

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

The thing about the missle truck that keeps bothering my word-nerd brain is the number of times that article says "ballistic missle", yet they show the missles with what look like early-generation IR trackers on them, and clearly state that they (are supposed to be) homing in some way. Which is very definitely not what "ballistic" means.

I know this is a tiny thing and it's a video game, but it's like an extra stupid cherry on top of the giant stupid sundae of crap that is this latest JPEG.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Nalin posted:

Well, now there are 6 pirates. 1 Cutlass and 5 Gladius.

Fun fact: because the game isn't instanced, every time a patrol mission is generated by the system and rolls the same waypoints as yours, their enemy NPC's will spawn in a big group with your enemy NPC's, and they'll all be hostile. This makes combat in a server that's been up for a while effectively impossible because all these NPC's tend to just hang around in a giant blob forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Zaphod42 posted:

nice meltdown

Thanks, mate. I'm pretty proud of it. :shobon: