Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah some people dig it and I try to sympathize with that perspective, but to me most games feel like "you have now mastered the piano, so feel free to go and play chopsticks for the next 20 hours". I really don't understand the appeal of learning a new skill set just to find that not only will it not be tested, but you will actually hit a point where you don't even have to try anymore. It seems totally backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Prey sort of runs out of ways to reward you. You amass a full arsenal early on and can soon just fabricate Experience Points. The 30th weapon kit you get will hardly be game-changing.

Perhaps if another game leaned heavier on Metroid with more upgrades being tied to exploration, and if XP was strictly limited like in Dishonored.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah some people dig it and I try to sympathize with that perspective, but to me most games feel like "you have now mastered the piano, so feel free to go and play chopsticks for the next 20 hours". I really don't understand the appeal of learning a new skill set just to find that not only will it not be tested, but you will actually hit a point where you don't even have to try anymore. It seems totally backwards.

Developers are disincentivized from providing that kind of experience; for instance in Prey there are lots of skills that don't help much in combat at all and unskilled players already complain endlessly about the game being too hard, and there would be so many more complaints (and thus potentially worse sales numbers) if the end-game content actually posed a challenge to skilled players with a powerful set of combat skills.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I feel that literally every game that tinkers ever so slightly with RPG mechanics are much more interesting in the earlier stages than towards the end. I recently started a new game of Breath of the Wild although I’m far from done with the game on my first slot.

Prey is a goddamn treasure of a game and if Arkane is developing a new game you better goddamn pay attention.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I had 2 kasma orders left in mooncrash: Finish the volunteer's story mission and also 5 escapes in a row. I suppose I'm spoilering the hilarity because if you haven't finished it, this is a spoiler! well I did everything without a glitch. I was ready to finish up the game last night. I escaped with 4 characters then did the volunteer's story mission and escaped in an escape pod. 'your head exploded', so that wasn't an escape... ... gently caress YOU PREY. I suppose it is nice that I get to play it one more time but I'm sort of getting a bit sick of mooncrash.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
About half of the story missions have an ending like that, so if you did the director’s already, youo have nobody to blame but yourself. :colbert:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
It was nice to see (hear) that the Custodian is South African. The subtitles for the stuff she said was not correct. I looked up the VA and for once it wasn't a brit or american doing a South African accent, she's actually from Cape Town. They must have let her write her own lines.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I finally finished mooncrash! I loved it. found it pretty funny that the mooncrash is the last thing that happens, and I entirely didn't make the connection until after it happened. I wonder if I'll be a lot better at prey now after all the combat of mooncrash.

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013
Complete version is 8 US bux this weekend on Steam. Finally bought it. I played up to getting to the lobby and I'm contemplating restarting with the full survival mode options on. I want to have the full experience that SS2 was the first time. Is there a consensus on whether the weapon degrade, suit leak, and/or wounds system makes it actually more survival horror-ish, or would it just be annoying?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

YeahWhatevah posted:

Complete version is 8 US bux this weekend on Steam. Finally bought it. I played up to getting to the lobby and I'm contemplating restarting with the full survival mode options on. I want to have the full experience that SS2 was the first time. Is there a consensus on whether the weapon degrade, suit leak, and/or wounds system makes it actually more survival horror-ish, or would it just be annoying?

Those were added to Mooncrash and backported to the original as options, but unlike Mooncrash the game isn't designed around them and IMO in the original game they're just annoying rather than things that add to the tension.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

imho, the hardcore mode adds pretty much nothing to the core game. It's unfortunate, but they're at least integrated into Mooncrash pretty well.

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013
Right, 0-2 for the restart, good enough for me. My thanks to the both of you.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I found the survival options to be nice to mix things up on a replay but that was like my 4th run at that point. The non-survival Prey is the "true" Prey experience for a first run. Getting your leg broken when you can't fix it, don't know where the medbots are and you're already low on resources sounds more frustrating than fun.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Like, you're all so wrong I felt the need to push my glasses up and post on the internet about it.

The hardcore/survival stuff is 100% worth it on your first playthrough, they proc very rarely and only in situations where You Done hosed Up, and getting a minor debuff instead of just lost hp is very cool. I actually tried running around with a broken leg for a while instead of instantly healing it with the consumable, it was pretty funny watching Morgan bellow every time I reflexively hit shift to run.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

counterpoint: the foley design was too well done and I cringed with every step morgan had to make.

the broken leg sound design is nasty

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Serephina posted:

Like, you're all so wrong I felt the need to push my glasses up and post on the internet about it.

The hardcore/survival stuff is 100% worth it on your first playthrough, they proc very rarely and only in situations where You Done hosed Up, and getting a minor debuff instead of just lost hp is very cool. I actually tried running around with a broken leg for a while instead of instantly healing it with the consumable, it was pretty funny watching Morgan bellow every time I reflexively hit shift to run.

Here’s the thing though, you had to ignore the consumable in your inventory in order for the debuff to actually affect your game. They’re fairly common relative to how often you get the debuffs, and medbots aren’t exactly scarce even if you don’t know where they are.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

double nine posted:

counterpoint: the foley design was too well done and I cringed with every step morgan had to make.

the broken leg sound design is nasty

Hobbling around with crunchy legs is good in Mooncrash when you're on the clock and there are more places for the cure items to spawn. IMO it just slows the normal game down.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Wafflecopper posted:

Here’s the thing though, you had to ignore the consumable in your inventory in order for the debuff to actually affect your game. They’re fairly common relative to how often you get the debuffs, and medbots aren’t exactly scarce even if you don’t know where they are.

Yes, that's exactly my point. There's no good reason not to play with the feature enabled, it adds a tiny bit of flavourful content that uncommon and not burdensome.

edit:vv So don't clutter your inventory and enjoy the broken legs? You're being a huge grump about it and trying to argue it from both sides. Its either a big deal and invokes cool gameplay moments, or it's a tax on how over-prepared you can be. Its fun content that you can opt into, or, you can be Ebeneezer Scrooge and hate everything fun.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 20, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

To me that just makes it pointless bloat and more poo poo you have clogging up your inventory

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013
Allow me to interrupt this slapfight and say - game good.

If it is true that Prey didn't sell well, then gamer culture is well and truly hosed. Seriously, everyone who said Lavine is a hack is absolutely correct. Ark knows how to make a proper SS2 sequel, and this mutherfuker has it in spades. Pearls before swine, or Madden's MOBA Battlefield of Duty (with loot boxen) players, but I repeat myself. This is the most underappreciated game since Alien Isolation IMO.

Eight bux people! Eight lovely dollars! If you liked the BioShocks, or Stalker/Metro, or especially SS2, this a no brainer. Preaching to the choir, I know, but spread forth the gospel children. I feel like I just robbed someone.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Serephina posted:

You're being a huge grump about it and trying to argue it from both sides.

I was just discussing how I felt about it, didn't mean to come off grumpy

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

YeahWhatevah posted:

Allow me to interrupt this slapfight and say - game good.

If it is true that Prey didn't sell well, then gamer culture is well and truly hosed. Seriously, everyone who said Lavine is a hack is absolutely correct. Ark knows how to make a proper SS2 sequel, and this mutherfuker has it in spades. Pearls before swine, or Madden's MOBA Battlefield of Duty (with loot boxen) players, but I repeat myself. This is the most underappreciated game since Alien Isolation IMO.

Eight bux people! Eight lovely dollars! If you liked the BioShocks, or Stalker/Metro, or especially SS2, this a no brainer. Preaching to the choir, I know, but spread forth the gospel children. I feel like I just robbed someone.

Prey’s failure to be a breakout hit has way more to do with the publisher’s choice of name and limited marketing than the game itself. I hope its reputation as a standout of the genre continues to grow.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I had no real expectations when I bought this game maybe a year ago but the moment Everything is going to be okay started playing I knew this was going to be something special.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Monsters kinda sucked but it was a pretty fun game overall.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I think i'm going to pick this up.

I dont usually install games on my SSD, but I seem to remember some load time complaints with this - although maybe that was just the ps4 version? I never take issue with 10-15s load times in games.
In short, is an SSD install mandatory on this one?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

I dont usually install games on my SSD, but I seem to remember some load time complaints with this - although maybe that was just the ps4 version? I never take issue with 10-15s load times in games.

The load times are long but they’re not that long by modern game standards. It’s really just towards the end of the game when you’re moving between areas of the station more frequently that it becomes noticeably annoying

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I have a normal SSD and didn't really notice the load times, but iirc console players had complaints

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

Not mandatory at all. but the large number of loading screens near the end of the game will bug you more.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

In Mooncrash, how did people get past the part where your station loses gravity and everything floats around before you repair the artificial gravity and now everything is a clutter. I am finding myself incapable of resuming the simulation before I make it neat again, and the controls to manipulate objects are horrible.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I got this for $8 looking forward to it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

ZearothK posted:

In Mooncrash, how did people get past the part where your station loses gravity and everything floats around before you repair the artificial gravity and now everything is a clutter. I am finding myself incapable of resuming the simulation before I make it neat again, and the controls to manipulate objects are horrible.
You don’t have to rearrange anything, I wondered if there’s some missed step here.

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

ZearothK posted:

There's an alternate ending if you manage to get everything exactly where it was before-- good luck!

brain dammej fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 22, 2019

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Just bought this on the steam sale and not even 1 minute into the game its already unplayable. Reading stuff and trying to open the options menu leaves me with a greyed out screen and my mouse cursor but no text or menu items. I can hear the beeping sound that would be menu options when i move my mouse around but don't see anything. Tried closing out and starting a new save just in case and its the same poo poo. Has anyone experienced this at all?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Have you verified the files in steam?

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial
I just bought this on sale and the game seems good but the sound is bad. Like cross the threshold of a room and the sound of something inside the room suddenly gets quieter even though the door is open and you're 1 inch outside of it. Voices of other people sound like they're coming from inside your own head etc.

Does anyone have any information about the sound levels/mix issue?

For some people it seems to have been fixed with a patch, but not for me (I'm on steam so I assume I'm on the latest version?)

Others seem to indicate it's a flaw inherent to the game and unfixable.

Is there any information anywhere about what causes it? Which hardware it works on/which it doesn't?

It doesn't make sense that such an otherwise well crafted game has such a glaring fault.

Immortal Wombat fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 28, 2019

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Immortal Wombat posted:

I just bought this on sale and the game seems good but the sound is bad. Like cross the threshold of a room and the sound of something inside the room suddenly gets quieter even though the door is open and you're 1 inch outside of it. Voices of other people sound like they're coming from inside your own head etc.

Does anyone have any information about the sound levels/mix issue?

For some people it seems to have been fixed with a patch, but not for me (I'm on steam so I assume I'm on the latest version?)

Others seem to indicate it's a flaw inherent to the game and unfixable.

Is there any information anywhere about what causes it? Which hardware it works on/which it doesn't?

It doesn't make sense that such an otherwise well crafted game has such a glaring fault.

Yeah I noticed this on pc. I play with surround sound set up properly and it definitely has this problem. I only noticed it with voices though!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Haven’t played it, but that kind of sound issue is usually indicative of a surround mode being played in stereo. Beyond that I’m unfair.

I’m glad this game is getting overall good responses. I like Wolfenstein and want to see this turn into a trilogy.

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial

chaosapiant posted:

Haven’t played it, but that kind of sound issue is usually indicative of a surround mode being played in stereo.

I'll try looking to see if there are config files or something somewhere.
I wish there were more in game sound options than just volume sliders.

I get the annoying feeling that this is going to need a level of interest to fix that Prey isn't going to be able to muster.

edit: can't find any config files - if anyone has any info on this pls let me know

edit 2: Everything is normal, set up for headphones in windows. All effects off. Tried turning on "Spatial Sound (windows sonic for headphones)" but that doesn't seem to change anything.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Immortal Wombat fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 28, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Immortal Wombat posted:

I'll try looking to see if there are config files or something somewhere.
I wish there were more in game sound options than just volume sliders.

I get the annoying feeling that this is going to need a level of interest to fix that Prey isn't going to be able to muster.

Might be worth taking a quick peek at your audio settings in Windows and make sure it’s set for the right amount of speakers you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

iirc sound mixing was an early complaint with Prey, particularly the music stingers being super loud