Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
"You have offered me a small solution to a huge problem so instead of taking it and then pushing for more I say we do loving nothing at all"

The state of this thread today, jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cowpocalypse posted:

"consume less" is the solution to a lot of problems hth

Actually it's "produce less" op

Capitalism talks a big game about voting with your wallet but trillions of funko pops are pouring out of Chinese factories whether you buy them or not.

Boycotts, like strikes, only work if they're near total. You want to make a difference as one person, go find a factory and throw a spanner in the works.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Rarity posted:

"You have offered me a small solution to a huge problem so instead of taking it and then pushing for more I say we do loving nothing at all"

lmao there’s no such thing as voting for more in a timescale that makes a difference, America can do a societal issue like once every 20 years and whatever the end result is we stop paying attention for another couple decades, plastic straw ban was it for us til 2035 or so

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!

Rarity posted:

the planets dying cloud

THS
Sep 15, 2017

comedyblissoption posted:

the planets dying cloud

its not my problem

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Perfect is not the enemy of good

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rarity posted:

which is why we gotta pick the most electable candidate

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://www.twitter.com/wolicyponk/status/1022613874694967297

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
straw ban is nothing more than political theater to try once more to convince the little folk that it's their fault the world's in shambles, ignoring that a few hundred folk and their sprawling industrial empires are responsible for the mass lions share of environmental disasters due to the never-ceasing chase for profit and number go up, and instead of banning straws we should ban those people's heads from being on their bodies.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Cowpocalypse posted:

"consume less" is the solution to a lot of problems hth

Lol you'll be consuming a lot less after you lose your job because the economy collapses underneath everyone consuming less.

Capitalism will never allow itself to be voted away and that includes voting with your dollars nonsense.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bike tory posted:

They are a first step towards banning or restricting plastics more widely. A lot of places that have enacted plastic straw and bag bans are now considering bans on all single-use plastics.

where are these places because all i see is annoyed environmentalists pissed off that officials feel like they did something, angry boomers that we all try to ignore, and liberals trying as hard as humanly possible to clap themselves on the back for their Tesla purchase.

also what group could even ban single use plastics successfully that isnt a nation anyway. or is packaging not considered single use despite being less reusable than fast food trash

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

teacher_man posted:

silicone straws

Keep a roll in your pocket at all times

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
If only there was an image about ethical consumption under capitalism that could settle this dumb loving argument

necroid
May 14, 2009

Rarity posted:

Lol at the anticap CSPAM thread turning into chud central the second the topic of sacrificing Western comforts for the sake of environmentalism comes up

lol agreed

we all get it, it's a drop in the ocean compared to the hosed up poo poo that's messing up the planet and it might be a political distraction from the real, bigger changes that need to be put in action but it still helps to reduce the amount of plastic that's being thrown away by careless idiots all over the planet

you can start doing something positive by consuming less and better instead of saying "oh the real issue is something else, you can pry my plastic straws and bags from my cold dead hands"

this all-or-nothing mentality is so very childish

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

necroid posted:

Love that you folks keep dodging the abelist issue, to the degree that someone above even put "disabled" in quotes.

An opportunity to sanctimoniously punch down while also doing effectively nothing *AND* pretending like something was accomplished? Sounds like a neolib wet dream.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

GEMorris posted:

Love that you folks keep dodging the abelist issue, to the degree that someone above even put "disabled" in quotes.

An opportunity to sanctimoniously punch down while also doing effectively nothing *AND* pretending like something was accomplished? Sounds like a neolib wet dream.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Perfect timing:

https://twitter.com/sopandeb/status/1152628260272033793?s=21

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

necroid posted:

you can pry my plastic straws and bags from my cold dead hands

who said this though

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I do love the "chuds don't like the thing I'm doing, therefore I am immune to criticism" takes.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

necroid posted:

lol agreed

we all get it, it's a drop in the ocean compared to the hosed up poo poo that's messing up the planet and it might be a political distraction from the real, bigger changes that need to be put in action but it still helps to reduce the amount of plastic that's being thrown away by careless idiots all over the planet

you can start doing something positive by consuming less and better instead of saying "oh the real issue is something else, you can pry my plastic straws and bags from my cold dead hands"

It's amazing that you unironically would support a policy that would do measurable harm to vulnerable people so you can feel good about taking a drop out of the bucket.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Sedisp posted:

It's amazing that you unironically would support a policy that would do measurable harm to vulnerable people so you can feel good about taking a drop out of the bucket.

Show that measurable harm please.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Sedisp posted:

Hold up.

Is the policy "plastic straws are banned" or "we don't give you a straw unless you ask", cause I've seen both in this thread.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
(pounding on walls of thread) FOR GOD'S SAKE MONTRESOR

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Malachi Constant posted:

Hold up.

Is the policy "plastic straws are banned" or "we don't give you a straw unless you ask", cause I've seen both in this thread.

Every sit down restaurant I've been to recently has been "we don't give you a straw unless you ask" and nearly every time I've heard someone complaining at the wait staff as if they have any say in it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
probe everyone who’s posted about straws including me

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
Let's talk about how our insanely dumb society is becoming more and more expensive to live in and our paychecks barely raise to compensate for it while at the same time we are being mocked for not living in luxury

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bombadilillo posted:

Show that measurable harm please.

plastic bendy straws were literally invented for infirm and disabled people who have difficulty drinking and quite a few of them have been talking about how these bans are literally ignoring them and their disabilities for some kind of woke green cred that accomplishes nothing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tashilicious posted:

plastic bendy straws were literally invented for infirm and disabled people who have difficulty drinking and quite a few of them have been talking about how these bans are literally ignoring them and their disabilities for some kind of woke green cred that accomplishes nothing.

You say that. But when I googled it. And posted the articles in this thread it's a bunch of reprinting of one single incident where a dad yelled at a waitress.

So I ask if "measurable harm" can be shown?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tashilicious posted:

Where have those straws been banned?

necroid
May 14, 2009

ok I consider myself a pretty reasonable person so I'll take two steps back with my attitude and agree that it sucks that disabled people are being denied the option of using bendy straws, I wasn't aware of this particular issue and you guys made it clear it exists and it is real.

what I honestly don't understand is this attitude:

GEMorris posted:

An opportunity to sanctimoniously punch down while also doing effectively nothing *AND* pretending like something was accomplished

Sedisp posted:

Tashilicious posted:

some kind of woke green cred that accomplishes nothing.

are you really, seriously, 100% convinced that limiting the distribution of plastic products is a bad idea? literally some kind of woke green cred that accomplishes nothing?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

necroid posted:

it sucks that disabled people are being denied the option of using bendy straws,

That's actually happening? Because I can't imagine a law passing like that.

And if it's just some company doing it I can't imagine them surviving the social media backlash.

necroid
May 14, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

And if it's just some company doing it I can't imagine them surviving the social media backlash.

not that I'm aware of, I think some of the posters itt are saying that if you outright ban free plastic straws then the disabled people who need them won't be able to get them as easily

so they'd be denied the option because there'd be no available straws in general

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I've seen opinions from disability activists in both directions actually. Some are disappointed because a lot of the argument in favour of the ban is based on the idea that "no one actually needs a straw". So some disabled people are putting their hands up and saying "um actually..."

But I've also seen disabled people on twitter pointing out how those concerns are being amplified by oil companies as corporate concern trolling, and pointing out that if you can't drink without a straw then you generally carry straws with you anyway.

So it's complicated.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

This is the questions cause again. Everything goes back to one blog post where a girl had a waitress be mean and her dad yelled at her and that dad was Albert Einstein.

If there is actual tangible stuff and actual measurable harm I want to see it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

And again in case you missed it.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/withoutacrystalball/2019/07/plastic-straw-ban-results-in-death/

Freak accident death at home involving a metal straw is string to spark fear into plastic straw bans at restaurants.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

As someone with disabled family members I think it's ripe that the crowd that tends to deny public benefits for them at every turn now suddenly pretends to care about them because the topic of plastic straws gives them something to feel smug about and dig into progressives over.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

necroid posted:

ok I consider myself a pretty reasonable person so I'll take two steps back with my attitude and agree that it sucks that disabled people are being denied the option of using bendy straws, I wasn't aware of this particular issue and you guys made it clear it exists and it is real.

what I honestly don't understand is this attitude:

are you really, seriously, 100% convinced that limiting the distribution of plastic products is a bad idea? literally some kind of woke green cred that accomplishes nothing?

How do you go about reducing plastic products? Banning straws? Okay what replaces those straws? Paper ones? That takes more energy to produce than a plastic one. Where does that energy come from? Probably coal. So to recap we have created a solution that is worse than the problem, that punishes disabled people and doesn't even solve the problem on paper.

The solution to these problems are complicated and require mass mobilization. People really need to stop pretending it is a choice between doing nothing and doing nothing that makes you feel better.

Sedisp has issued a correction as of 21:14 on Jul 20, 2019

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sedisp posted:

How do you go about reducing plastic products? Banning straws? Okay what replaces those straws? Paper ones? That takes more energy to produce than a straw one. Where does that energy come from? Probably coal. So to recap we have created a solution that is worse than the problem, that punishes disabled people and doesn't even solve the problem on paper.

The solution to these problems are complicated and require mass mobilization. People really need to stop pretending it is a choice between doing nothing and doing nothing that makes you feel better.

It's not as simple as "requires more energy to produce = worse" though. Paper comes from trees which, as an industry, removes CO2 so long as it's not coming from like logging in the Amazon or some poo poo. And CO2 emissions aren't the only way that we're poisoning the earth, we also need to drastically reduce the amount of plastic going into the oceans because we are steadily poisoning them with microplastics for the next several hundred centuries. I think the current estimates are that the weight of plastic in the ocean will exceed the weight of the fish in the ocean within the next 25 years.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
The deal about plastic straws isn't about energy use or carbon emissions its about feeling bad about the plastic in the ocean, and apparently plastic straws are the most likely thing to end up in the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necroid
May 14, 2009

Sedisp posted:

How do you go about reducing plastic products? Banning straws? Okay what replaces those straws? Paper ones? That takes more energy to produce than a straw one. Where does that energy come from? Probably coal. So to recap we have created a solution that is worse than the problem, that punishes disabled people and doesn't even solve the problem on paper.

I get what you're saying but

Sedisp posted:

Okay what replaces those straws? Paper ones? That takes more energy to produce than a straw one. Where does that energy come from? Probably coal.

doesn't take into consideration that plastic will be here long after we're all dead and gone, while paper isn't. does this offset the production costs? I dunno but I think that maybe we've reached a point where we all understand that low production (and sale) costs aren't the best metric to judge how good or bad something is in the long run. cheap plastic stuff is cheap for a reason.

Sedisp posted:

I also agree with this 100% but I hate the fact that the usual result of this line of thought (for the average man) is "oh well I won't be making an impact, it's up to the big corporations to stop polluting etc.".

seriously how hard is it to take responsibility for your own behaviour while also NOT being ok with the huge issues that exist at corporate level? you can change your lifestyle and reduce your overconsumption and garbage production without ignoring the fact that big corporations have been loving us all right up the rear end for a long time.