Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

So, there's a little bit of terra nullius between these three states?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Guys guys, I think we can all agree that the silver lining of that map is that Florida specifically will be destroyed.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Pakled posted:

No you're thinking of that one guy in lord of the rings

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Guavanaut posted:

politically-loaded lines

Heh, this has a lot of stuff in it. Every single part of every border here is strange.

* Pennsylvania and Maryland established their border as 39°43' N - this is an east-west line roughly 15 miles south of the southernmost point of Philadelphia. This is part of the famous Mason-Dixon Line.

* The Pennsylvania-Delaware border was established as a 12-mile circle centered on the cupola of the courthouse in New Castle, Delaware. (Not seen: The 12 Mile Circle also included the Delaware River up to the far shore, so any landfill from New Jersey into the river, within the 12 mile circle, is part of Delaware. This has caused major issues more than once. See also: Maryland and DC own the Potomac River, Virginia owns not one drop)

* Also not seen: The Delmarva Peninsula. The Mason-Dixon Line also includes the border between Maryland and Delaware all the way down. It consists of:
** The Transpeninsular Line: A line from Cape Henlopen west to the Chesapeake Bay. However, here, we already have a problem, as the line doesn't start at Cape Henlopen, it starts further south at Fenwick Island.
** Then find the midpoint of this line, let's call this (a).
** Now find the western edge of the Twelve Mile Circle, let's call this point (b).
** Draw a line from (a) to (b). We now have a straight, nearly north-south line - but not quite - called the Tangent Line. This line intersects the Twelve Mile Circle a little bit south of the western edge.

The plan was, that the border would reach the circle, then turn north to the Pennsylvania border - hence, the North Line. Any part of the Twelve Mile Circle west of the North Line remains part of Delaware - hence, the Arc Line.

So now we have all the dramatis personae - the Maryland-Pennsylvania border is defined as 39° 43' N. The Maryland-Delaware border is defined as the North Line, Twelve Mile Circle, and the Tangent Line.

So what about The Wedge, which slips in between 39° 43' N, the North Line, and the Twelve Mile Circle? It can't be Pennsylvania - their southern limit is 39° 43'. It can't be Delaware - their western limit is the Twelve Mile Circle. And it can't be Maryland - their eastern limit is the North Line.

This region remained disputed until 1921. And it wasn't smooth sailing before then - Pennsylvania had made a strong attempt at it, and some federal maps even included it in Pennsylvania as late as 1900. But the states finally came to an agreement. Maryland had no dog in the fight - as no definition of their state went east of the North Line, they had no say. But since it was only the Pennsylvania-Maryland line that was defined as 39° 43' N, then they could say "This border isn't with Maryland, it's with Delaware, so we aren't limited to that."

So yeah. All this over a 684 acre plot of land.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 17, 2019

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's fitting that the loving south gets the worst of it since they're the ones holding everything back. The only shame of it is the god damned boomers will be long dead by that point.

"finally the blacks get put in their place" says forums user Milo and POTUS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Peanut President posted:

Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? What if there are fifty righteous people in the city South? Will you really sweep it away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

luxury handset posted:

i too like to interpret historical patterns of rural/urban development along arbitrary jurisdictional lines from a moral perspective where i live on the correct, good side of the line and those live on the other side are incorrect, shameful

very important to my political identity, my position re: this line

I'm from the loving south you imbecile and because I'm too poor to escape I'm going to die here and they're going to get exactly what they deserve, especially once they start placing the blame at the feet of the other for drawing god's ire. Which they will. In fact the only compunction I have with my statement can be summed up by this guy:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Good thing there aren’t millions of disenfranchised people in the south, mostly minorities. That would be a real shame.

It's a good and totally fair point

Peanut President posted:

"finally the blacks get put in their place" says forums user Milo and POTUS

Oh blow it out your rear end

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Good luck, that place isn't going to exist for another 200 years

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh blow it out your rear end

wow harsh

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
https://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/2019-07/demografie-europa-bevoelkerung-entwicklung-wandel-karte

Interactive map of population changes in Europe. (Annual rate of change in the period 2011-2017)

Honj Steak fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 18, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

https://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/2019-07/demografie-europa-bevoelkerung-entwicklung-wandel-karte

Interactive map of population changes in Europe. (Annual rate of change in the period 2011-2017)

Spain is like... "I hate to live there" and "I want to work on {name of huge city} but instead I must live 200 km from it, and take a train to it every day". Bad problems, lame solutions.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Belgium is the same, and probably a lot of other countries as well. Everyone works in Brussels or Antwerp (especially Brussels), no one wants to live there (again especially Brussels), so they all commute there in their company cars which are ubiquitous due to fiscal reasons. The result is endless traffic jams which get worse with every passing year.

e: looking at the map, the general trend in Belgium is rather striking in its homogeneity. Of the 581 municipalities, almost none have declined in population.

e2: on the flipside, if you look at Spain, you might think it's hemorrhaging population, but then you hover over the blue areas and it's all 'municipalities' with a few hundred inhabitants.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 18, 2019

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Honj Steak posted:

You can see the impact of the TGV connection to Bordeaux in France.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/duduuugs/status/1152540730390392832/photo/1
https://twitter.com/duduuugs/status/1152541260697276416

this is.... impressively bad.

The person deleted his reddit post so I can't find the original image but this was in the comments

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Their ideal world involves returning some parts of Africa to European imperial rule? Interesting.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I've been looking at this map for 10 minutes and I'm so confused by it.

Why does canada get greenland? Why does Denmark just cease to exist? Who thought a UN Trust Territory is a good idea? How many people would have to die in order to get a map to look like this?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Oh, look how that worked out, Israel gets West Bank and Gaza.

Heh, they gave Algeria back to France then changed the name of Tunisia to Algeria.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 20, 2019

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
they already made an ideal world map though????

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m the equally powerful Republic of Siberia.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Of course they went with this

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I'm the Chinese provinces turned into countries that will get curbstomped in a couple years.

Independent Guangxi! :catdrugs:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
RIP Monaco, Lichtenstein, and Luxembourg. Your legacy will endure through Andorra and San Marino.

RIP Belgium, you're back to being the Netherlands' southern provinces. And RIP Ireland, you're gonna have to Brexit with your British lords and masters.

Estonia, you're not welcome in the "Baltic Union". Stay out.

Laffo at "Kalmar Empire". Obviously, what we need is more empires. (Kalmar is a Swedish city of less than 40 000 people, so it's the obvious choice for the seat of a neoviking powerhouse.)

Not even gonna comment on the other continents, it seems like they were redistributed according to what will piss off the locals the most.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Cat Mattress posted:

Laffo at "Kalmar Empire". Obviously, what we need is more empires. (Kalmar is a Swedish city of less than 40 000 people, so it's the obvious choice for the seat of a neoviking powerhouse.)

They're probably just naming their jerkoff Scandinavian unitary state for the Kalmar Union.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Hawaii being returned to it's most ideal form. Beneath the surface of the ocean.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
My favourite part is either how the author couldn't think of anything interesting to do with like half of Europe or how Canada loses British Columbia but keeps Quebec.

Also the status of St Pierre and Miquelon is not specified, presumably they were wiped out by whatever cataclysm caused this map in the first place.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
loving Arab Shia State, I guess he didn't realize the map vivian darkbloom posted above was supposed to be a joke

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
But at least when they re-allocated the whole of South America, they left French Guiana and the Falklands alone

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Good thing the loss of BC is compensated by a bit of Montana to ensure Canada is equally as powerful as the USA and PSA.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

All of that change and they still didn’t separate the loving North Queenslanders off into their own pro coal pro slavery state.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013
I get that reconquering Thracia is the wet dream of Greek (and many other European) reactionaries, but what is the logic behind returning Silesia to Czechia and then remerging with Slovakia?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dommolus Magnus posted:

I get that reconquering Thracia is the wet dream of Greek (and many other European) reactionaries, but what is the logic behind returning Silesia to Czechia and then remerging with Slovakia?

It’s highly likely he remembers those borders from playing EUIV and thinks playing map games makes him an expert on... whatever he thinks he’s doing

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah it screams of various Paradox games.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Dommolus Magnus posted:

I get that reconquering Thracia is the wet dream of Greek (and many other European) reactionaries

So that's how it is, huh?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the obsession with "balance" in the face of real political problems is a dysfunction of a grand chain of nerds from metternich down the ages to pete buttigieg, from as lowly a place as the steam comments section of some ck2 "greater albania" mod all the way up to the highest halls of power

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Fix some actual dumb bullshit like the Pedicle, don't give a giant pointless Czechoslovakia a huge slice of SW Poland.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

they already made an ideal world map though????

I can never look at this map without laughing at "Kanga Rat Murder Society".

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
LOL at the independent pacific coast. What possible justification could there be for that? The deepest cultural divide in the US is through the rockies? this might be the worst map of this type I’ve seen.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Delthalaz posted:

LOL at the independent pacific coast. What possible justification could there be for that? The deepest cultural divide in the US is through the rockies? this might be the worst map of this type I’ve seen.

you see base hoi4 (pre man the guns) makes it so the the us has very little to do other than click through the focus tree until they are allowed to play the actual game. kaiserreich's solution to this problem is elegant enough that i assume the broke brained redditor took it for inspiration

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Tree Goat posted:

you see base hoi4 (pre man the guns) makes it so the the us has very little to do other than click through the focus tree until they are allowed to play the actual game. kaiserreich's solution to this problem is elegant enough that i assume the broke brained redditor took it for inspiration

I guess they didn’t have enough Kaiserreich induced brain worms to split up India to make things more interesting there too! Man, what world really needs more of are enormous land wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
India is a monoculture. What divides could you find there as contentious as the great New Mexico-Arizona feud?