Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

animist posted:

Has all the cracking white chain's been doing weakened her?
Only if she also pings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

animist posted:

Has all the cracking white chain's been doing weakened her?

I doubt it. I think it's more a psychological wound than anything else. Maybe when your armor breaks entirely, a petal knight is what's left :3

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ThaumPenguin posted:

Thanks!

this really does make angels sound like machines, huh

Machines seems like the obvious comparison, but if you've been alive (in one form or another) since the gods built the realms then I think you'd need to develop some obsessions almost by necessity. Like, angel cop either keeps themself busy for thirty years chasing that diamond thief or they go back to the same familiar drudgery they've performed for several ten thousands years already.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And White Chain is one of the younger angels, so it makes sense she'd be less like that.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Don't angels have to be destroyed in the void to reincarnate to their next form? I recall that the prime angels have been in the process of doing that since Zoss chased after them into the void to own them but I'm not sure if destruction of their material form also accomplishes that

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

Don't angels have to be destroyed in the void to reincarnate to their next form? I recall that the prime angels have been in the process of doing that since Zoss chased after them into the void to own them but I'm not sure if destruction of their material form also accomplishes that

A sufficiently brutal destruction of their material form can carry over to the void.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Phy posted:

I mean that's basically Terminator but it sends you to prison instead of to god

well, when prison is made out of god...

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think returning to the void technically IS dying for an angel. 2 Michael "killed" her when she was banished to the void. She just didn't need to wait for reincarnation that time due to the circumstances.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think returning to the void technically IS dying for an angel. 2 Michael "killed" her when she was banished to the void. She just didn't need to wait for reincarnation that time due to the circumstances.

The stone body she inhabits (and which Michael kicked her out of) was designed and built by the demiurges. She can't just "reincarnate" into another one, she'd need to get an empty one.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Schwarzwald posted:

The stone body she inhabits (and which Michael kicked her out of) was designed and built by the demiurges. She can't just "reincarnate" into another one, she'd need to get an empty one.

Gonna be real bad for the condo association when a sufficiently powerful angel moves back into a prime angel body that's been converted to housing.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Wait, so the demiurges created the angel's stone bodies, but then how did they interact on Throne before then? Did they have organic bodies like the gods?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i assumed their bodies at the time were supplied by koss

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SardonicTyrant posted:

Wait, so the demiurges created the angel's stone bodies, but then how did they interact on Throne before then? Did they have organic bodies like the gods?

Those giants the guilds ride around on are their old bodies.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SardonicTyrant posted:

IIRC, they didn't. The prime angels had those huge bodies that became transport golems and such, but aside from 2 Michael all the primes are still reincarnating (and Mike ain't the size he used to be). All the current angel characters were originally bodyless, and were tasked to fight against encroaching chaos or somesuch before the demiurges brought them in and built them bodies.

I'm certainly getting some details wrong. I forget if this was below the comic text, or if it was something Abbadon posted off site, or what.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there werent that many primes iirc, not nearly enough to account for the number of big angel bodies there must be in use for them to be as commonplace as they are

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I thought the giant bodies were the gods.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SardonicTyrant posted:

I thought the giant bodies were the gods.

the immobile ones, were referring to the busses/war machines/etc

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Machines seems like the obvious comparison, but if you've been alive (in one form or another) since the gods built the realms then I think you'd need to develop some obsessions almost by necessity. Like, angel cop either keeps themself busy for thirty years chasing that diamond thief or they go back to the same familiar drudgery they've performed for several ten thousands years already.

Ah like the humans in 17776, that makes sense!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tollymain posted:

i assumed their bodies at the time were supplied by koss

Or some say, supplied by Kosm

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

getting increasingly annoyed by all these characters failing to grasp that there is no one more or less worthy of the power than anyone else and the only thing that makes someone the successor is whether or not they have the key stuck in their head

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Who What Now posted:

Or some say, supplied by Kosm
Angel components, devil components, all made in Taiwan!

Shugojin posted:

getting increasingly annoyed by all these characters failing to grasp that there is no one more or less worthy of the power than anyone else and the only thing that makes someone the successor is whether or not they have the key stuck in their head
I think this is going to be when it finally comes to a head that White Chain has to decide whether to follow the Knights or accept that Allison is the true heir. She can't keep fence-sitting/trying to have her cake and eat it too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ThaumPenguin posted:

https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football/chapter-1

For those who haven't had the pleasure of reading it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

M_Gargantua posted:

it is so good

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
"Something is terribly wrong."
-Jon Bois

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

17776 is the kind of comic that you can't really describe the literal plot of without it sounding like monkey cheese bullshit, but it explores themes of artificial intelligence, nostalgia, transhumanism, and finding your own purpose in life in the face of overwhelming ennui and nihilism.

It is also a comic about three satellites shitposting at each other about American football.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

PMush Perfect posted:

17776 is the kind of comic that you can't really describe the literal plot of without it sounding like monkey cheese bullshit, but it explores themes of artificial intelligence, nostalgia, transhumanism, and finding your own purpose in life in the face of overwhelming ennui and nihilism.

It is also a comic about three satellites shitposting at each other about American football.

The scene where they discuss the parcel of land no one has walked on was really oddly moving

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

the best summary for 17776:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liTD7ZZZwz4

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'hey white chain I know your old body got all busted up so we built a robo mecha suit for you.'
'sweet'

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

:wtc: did I just read at 3 AM in the morning

It's really good and really drat out there at once.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Jon Bois is royalty

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

ElMaligno posted:

Jon Bois is royalty
:hai:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you liked 17776, also check out his Tim Tebow's CFL Chronicles. It's not as strong a work but a moment in the first chapter had me laughing for an entire morning and that's a good memory I have

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shugojin posted:

Its not even the key
Just anyone who is sufficiently enough of a raging dumbass.

And who says the successot will even wany the throne and wont just burn everything to the ground

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phy posted:

If you liked 17776, also check out his Tim Tebow's CFL Chronicles. It's not as strong a work but a moment in the first chapter had me laughing for an entire morning and that's a good memory I have

The CFL Chronicles are essentially the perfect companion piece to 17776.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

Oh man, now I'm going to have to read 17776 again. Jon Bois is a genius.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

The scene where they discuss the parcel of land no one has walked on was really oddly moving

Yeah, that one has always stuck with me.

e: I always pronounce his last name like the french word for forest, except I give it an annoying "john boi" southern twang. It's so entrenched in me at this point since I've been following him since he did The Dugout over a decade ago that if I ever meet him I'm going to fanboy like crazy while saying "HOW BOUT THAT, JON BWHAOI!" like a lunatic.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 21, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why did someone do a weird anime version of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFu5GGMH8YI

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

the real question is why do you hate fun

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

why did someone do a weird anime version of

Because they can emote better that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Anime isn't the only kind of cartoon