Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmmkay, thanks guys! And as far as combat goes, I assume that skeletons not having headgear isn't a big deal so long as I train their dexterity/dodge and make sure that they won't be taking many hits in the first place?

Dodge only applies to Martial Arts, if someone has a weapon equipped they can't dodge. Instead, the relevant stat becomes Block. So, if you're not training a martial artist, don't worry about the dodge stat at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Dodge only applies to Martial Arts, if someone has a weapon equipped they can't dodge. Instead, the relevant stat becomes Block. So, if you're not training a martial artist, don't worry about the dodge stat at all

The wiki would imply that dodge also applies any time you're staggered or running

Granted any heavy armor worth wearing will gut your dodge to the point you might as well not have it anyway, but I think it does kick in even while armed in those specific situations where you can't melee defense

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
When using a weapon, defending works in three steps: first, you check for being hit. Second, you go through your melee defense. If that succeeds, you block. Finally, you check for being stumbled by the attack. What exactly that depends on I don't know, but if you are stumbled, then Dodge gives you a chance for a quick recover instead of doing the Ouchie Dance for a second.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Does anyone know of a mechanic I'm missing/a mod that makes "rescuing a neutral npc from certain death" not "KIDNAPPER! KILL HIM!"?

Earlyish on in my current skeleton run I picked up a Mongrel guard who was taken into a deathyard and I was promptly attacked by his friends back in town because of what a horrible monster I was for picking him up. It would be nice to be able to rescue people I want to be friends with

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sorry, but I'm afraid the game's AI just isn't nuanced enough to allow for that. It can tell the difference between looting a legitimate citizen and looting a bandit, but it can't really tell the difference between picking up an NPC to kidnap them and picking up an NPC to save them, because you're mechanically doing the same thing.

You can always just plonk down a bedroll somewhere and dump an NPC in there after bandaging them up. So long as no one sees you carry them, you will get positive relationship for healing them. They'll just get up and walk off on their own eventually.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dodge while using a melee weapon

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Dude looks staggered. Not that being able to dodge while staggered makes sense.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

So “GenMod” causes some Ninja gear to have 0.0 multipliers for some reason. I stopped using it, everything was fine, and it didn’t make much different I could see in any good way so eh.

The loot available in stores is much, much better now too, not everything is empty and engineering stores have actual regular books now instead of only half eaten ones. So genmod seems like a waste of time IMO.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 19, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/afuturemountain/status/1152500481098506240?s=20

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

So “GenMod” causes some Ninja gear to have 0.0 multipliers for some reason. I stopped using it, everything was fine, and it didn’t make much different I could see in any good way so eh.

The loot available in stores is much, much better now too, not everything is empty and engineering stores have actual regular books now instead of only half eaten ones. So genmod seems like a waste of time IMO.

That sounds wretched. Who asked for worse stores and yet more useless clothing? The base game gives you a lot of *good* ways to turn up the difficulty if you want to

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

From what I can see in the description on the Workshop it shouldn't even be doing that. It says some stores will have more stuff and it mentions nothing about making ninja gear decorative. It's possible that you ran into a bug.

I don't recommend big overhaul mods like that in general, though. They're not granular enough and there's usually a small mod that does just the parts of the overhaul that you want without forcefully dumping a pile of other badly documented changes on top of that.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

That sounds wretched. Who asked for worse stores and yet more useless clothing? The base game gives you a lot of *good* ways to turn up the difficulty if you want to

always play more squads + more dudes in squads. You thought hungry bandits were annoying now? wait until there's 120 of them in a single squad lmao

also makes cannibals legitimately loving terrifying

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

More Dudes is fine. More Squads is fine. Mix up both and you are just asking for the game to crash, though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah it's great

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Babe Magnet posted:

always play more squads + more dudes in squads. You thought hungry bandits were annoying now? wait until there's 120 of them in a single squad lmao

and yet you give them 1000 cats and they wander off. I am beloved by the hungry bandits

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Well I'm impressed.

Look at that smug bastard. Barely a scratch on him.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m a few hours in on my first real run, been building a research and training base inside The Hub, and it’s turned into having a dedicated re-education stormhouse full of cages on the room where I stash Holy Nation soldiers and citizens, take their weapons, and let them run through a crowd of my robot trainee martial artists in training. They get the poo poo kicked out of them until they’re put in a cage, healed, then released again against more and more heavy weapons until they either die or join me. This game is amazing.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’m a few hours in on my first real run, been building a research and training base inside The Hub, and it’s turned into having a dedicated re-education stormhouse full of cages on the room where I stash Holy Nation soldiers and citizens, take their weapons, and let them run through a crowd of my robot trainee martial artists in training. They get the poo poo kicked out of them until they’re put in a cage, healed, then released again against more and more heavy weapons until they either die or join me. This game is amazing.

I have never gotten a holy nation paladin or above, which are the only ones I keep, to join. I give em a go but they always say that I don't get to pick what laws of okran to enforce. So most of them starve and then just before they die are turned into biofuel.

My war with them is slowly progressing. They have sent several raids to die at my gates. The last one had an inquistor leading it which was the highest level leader leading a raid yet. I Have cleared and freed the slaves of the 3 southern holy mines which are closest to my base. I plan to raid / destroy the holy military base aboveish the hub tonight.

My army grows as well. I kidnapped a slave who refused to leave his cage at.the first holy mine I smashed. He now is named Scrub and has found some courage. During my last attack on a holy mine a holy nation caravan arrived and got to join the mine guards in death. Tho I did kidnap 2 guards with high stats and the main trader. I hope they are easier to recruit than the paladins

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You sound like a good person. I hope the Protector of Flame doesn't chop your limbs off some day.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Clark Nova posted:

An SSD is pretty much mandatory with how much this game loads and unloads zones. The intel video may be the bottleneck on a mac, though. 8GB is fine (for a few hours, until the memory leaks catch you).

Out of the box yes, with the compression mod and the 50% less clutter mod it's perfectly fine on a non SSD.

I should know...I put nearly 200 hours into the game with a non-SSD.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

EmbryoSteve posted:

I have never gotten a holy nation paladin or above, which are the only ones I keep, to join. I give em a go but they always say that I don't get to pick what laws of okran to enforce. So most of them starve and then just before they die are turned into biofuel.

My war with them is slowly progressing. They have sent several raids to die at my gates. The last one had an inquistor leading it which was the highest level leader leading a raid yet. I Have cleared and freed the slaves of the 3 southern holy mines which are closest to my base. I plan to raid / destroy the holy military base aboveish the hub tonight.

My army grows as well. I kidnapped a slave who refused to leave his cage at.the first holy mine I smashed. He now is named Scrub and has found some courage. During my last attack on a holy mine a holy nation caravan arrived and got to join the mine guards in death. Tho I did kidnap 2 guards with high stats and the main trader. I hope they are easier to recruit than the paladins

How did you build up/equip/train an army that could fight straight up against HN armies? I’ve gotta rely on stealth raids and knockouts, so that I outnumber them like 4 to 1 by the time it goes loud. I’ve kinda figured out how and where to recruit a lot of robots and train up a lot of sneaky fast raiders but they can’t fight for poo poo despite running my re-education beatings against disarmed Paladins.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 23, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Elite HN troops are pretty heavily armored, so try to aim for something that gives +armor piercing. It really helps because it's a flat boost to base damage that they just can't avoid due all their armor giving a sum-total dodge multiplier of 0.01 or worse.

There's a heavy stake launcher crossbow that is specifically meant for that stuff, try to pick up a few of those. I think it's called the Spring Bat. An AP archery complement to a bunch of heavies really makes those guys melt.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just be sure to have your archers train with Toothpicks though, lest you end up staking your own dudes.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

If you're looking to powerlevel Archery, and don't mind a bit of investment, head to the Leviathan coast and make some walls that you can position some archers on and have them plink away at Leviathans. They won't get retaliated on, so you can just shoot to your heart's content. Great way to get a whole squad ready for some higher-calibur weapons.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cardiovorax posted:

Elite HN troops are pretty heavily armored, so try to aim for something that gives +armor piercing. It really helps because it's a flat boost to base damage that they just can't avoid due all their armor giving a sum-total dodge multiplier of 0.01 or worse.

There's a heavy stake launcher crossbow that is specifically meant for that stuff, try to pick up a few of those. I think it's called the Spring Bat. An AP archery complement to a bunch of heavies really makes those guys melt.

I haven’t played with ranged at all but it would totally fit with my theme of HM insurgents so I’ll give that a go.

I’m realizing also that I only strength trained a small number of my robot troops but they’re armed with captured HN heavy weapons which explains why most of them are useless in combat even though they have okay attack from martial arts training.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I haven’t played with ranged at all but it would totally fit with my theme of HM insurgents so I’ll give that a go.

I’m realizing also that I only strength trained a small number of my robot troops but they’re armed with captured HN heavy weapons which explains why most of them are useless in combat even though they have okay attack from martial arts training.

Yeah you kind of need to do weapons training or martial arts, there's not a lot of practical overlap between the two. Dexterity determines your weapon attack rate, which is really good because obviously if you're always attacking your enemy will never get a hit off. But, Martial Arts doesn't use Dexterity, so you won't be leveling it if you're not using a weapon

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, weapon training is essential and works differently than training the Martial Arts skill. Where martial arts gives you attack speed as well as more and better animation, weapon skill straight-up gives you damage on something close to a 1:1 ratio between skill points and damage value. Have a 50 rating in katanas and all your katanas do 50 extra damage per hit, flat out. That's pretty much all it does, but against high armor targets it's something you very much need.

It makes cross-training weapon types a bit tedious because there's really just no synergy at all. It's best to either stick to one type per character or to spend a lot of time bringing them up to snuff on another before sending them into combat.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Would having them just beat up on unarmed HN prisoners with heavy weapons be decent training? My stealth duo can basically knock out anyone and outrun everything while carrying anyone so getting more “sparring dummies” isn’t an issue. Or should I just fight hungry bandits for a bit or something?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

How did you build up/equip/train an army that could fight straight up against HN armies? I’ve gotta rely on stealth raids and knockouts, so that I outnumber them like 4 to 1 by the time it goes loud. I’ve kinda figured out how and where to recruit a lot of robots and train up a lot of sneaky fast raiders but they can’t fight for poo poo despite running my re-education beatings against disarmed Paladins.

Your trainees won't learn anything against disarmed prisoners because the prisoners don't have any unarmed skill. Give them a rusted junk weapon before you let them out of the cage. Also, broken skeletons make the best training dummies because you can repair them fast and they don't starve to death when you forget to feed them

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's also a proportional XP bonus/malus related to the difference between skill levels. The higher the target is above your character in skill, the more XP you get from it, topping out at... +10 levels of something, I'm not what the determinant stat actually is. The toolset isn't entirely clear on that.

So yeah, ideally, you pick up a really powerful character and hand them a super-weak weapon of the type they're best at and then you have your guys beat on them. There is a training weapon mod that is designed around making this as safe and long-lasting as possible and I recommend it if you want to go that route.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The easiest place to 100% reliably grab enemies to stat train against is the Skeletons in the abandoned workshops in the Black Desert

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

That would be a great training system, but since we’re the “robot liberation front” I’ll have to rely on beating HN troops and farmers to death instead.

Probably just gonna start fighting starving bandits near the Hub as well too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

That would be a great training system, but since we’re the “robot liberation front” I’ll have to rely on beating HN troops and farmers to death instead.

Probably just gonna start fighting starving bandits near the Hub as well too.

Edge of the fog would be good too

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Ok, so I've made buddies with both the Shek and the Outlaws up north, and the problem I'm having right now is sometimes they both come to my base to protect it at the same time. The Shek absolutely slaughter the Outlaws and I've been patching them up and carrying the unconscious living ones over the hill to wake up and go back home. Is there a mod or something I can do to make my allies also allies with each other? Or tell a group, no thanks, don't need your help guarding the base, please go home before these guys mow you down?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I could whip you up a mod that makes those two factions permantly neutral or allied to each other, but dynamically adjusting their relationships based on how much they like currently like you is kinda beyond the ability of the toolset. That kind of scripting just isn't possible

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

One thing to consider in addition to all of the other advice would be to set up a squad with defensive weapons. A handful of guys in heavy armor with foreign sabres, block mode, and taunt active can absorb a lot of punishment in a melee.

Further, HN armies also typically have 1 stronger leader, a handful of heavy fighters, then a bunch of lesser fighters. Opening the battle by shooting down their leader simplifies things enormously, particularly when you're dealing with inquisitors, who are incredibly dangerous and hard to bring down in melee combat.

In their main areas of control, the HN fields two types of armies - one led by an inquisitor, and one led by a high paladin. The high paladin armies are way, way weaker than the inquisitor armies. If you're going to test the waters and judge your strength against an HN force, make sure you start with the weaker armies.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

Gravy Boat 2k

Cardiovorax posted:

I could whip you up a mod that makes those two factions permantly neutral or allied to each other, but dynamically adjusting their relationships based on how much they like currently like you is kinda beyond the ability of the toolset. That kind of scripting just isn't possible

Oh, that's very kind of you to offer! Is there a way to do the other thing - turn away an offer of protection? Seems like that would be easier but I've never looked at the guts of the code.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

artichoke posted:

Oh, that's very kind of you to offer! Is there a way to do the other thing - turn away an offer of protection? Seems like that would be easier but I've never looked at the guts of the code.
If you want me to make it for you, I just need the exact name of the two factions that keep getting into conflict with each other, because there's a bunch of outlaws and Shek factions and I'm not sure which ones you mean in specific. Fair warning, though: it probably wouldn't come into effect until you re-import the world and might not work even then unless you reset NPC relations, depending on whether the game tracks that dynamically in addition to just your relations to others. I'm willing to try, though. Wouldn't take more than minutes, I'd upload it on a filehoster for you.

As to the other, I think it would be possible to make some dialogue that lets you send a squad away again once they arrive at your place, but that would be a bit beyond me.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

artichoke posted:

Ok, so I've made buddies with both the Shek and the Outlaws up north, and the problem I'm having right now is sometimes they both come to my base to protect it at the same time. The Shek absolutely slaughter the Outlaws and I've been patching them up and carrying the unconscious living ones over the hill to wake up and go back home. Is there a mod or something I can do to make my allies also allies with each other? Or tell a group, no thanks, don't need your help guarding the base, please go home before these guys mow you down?

I don't think there are any long-term effects on the game world if two factions squabble like this. It's Kenshi - just sit back and enjoy the bloodshed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

Gravy Boat 2k

Cardiovorax posted:

If you want me to make it for you, I just need the exact name of the two factions that keep getting into conflict with each other, because there's a bunch of outlaws and Shek factions and I'm not sure which ones you mean in specific. Fair warning, though: it probably wouldn't come into effect until you re-import the world and might not work even then unless you reset NPC relations, depending on whether the game tracks that dynamically in addition to just your relations to others. I'm willing to try, though. Wouldn't take more than minutes, I'd upload it on a filehoster for you.

As to the other, I think it would be possible to make some dialogue that lets you send a squad away again once they arrive at your place, but that would be a bit beyond me.

Ah, cool. I will take you up on that then. It's the Rebel Farmers and Crab Raiders vs the Five Invincibles and Hundred Guardian (I think?). I'm not sure if the Shek have attacked the Anti-Slavers that have come by because the AS haven't been back since the beginning...but I don't know if they're natural enemies like the two I first mentioned there. Anyway, anything helps!