Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm glad ouroboros exists because i apparently managed to miss 90% of the story arcs from levels 1-20 just by choosing all the wrong contacts and out leveling the good ones before i could get to them

E: had to laugh at the fact that the one arc I did do, the superdine arc in kings row with the two boss guys, apparently does not count as a story arc for ouroboros

site fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

site posted:

I'm glad ouroboros exists because i apparently managed to miss 90% of the story arcs from levels 1-20 just by choosing all the wrong contacts and out leveling the good ones before i could get to them

E: had to laugh at the fact that the one arc I did do, the superdine arc in kings row with the two boss guys, apparently does not count as a story arc for ouroboros
This has been my biggest complaint about blueside since the game came out. They set up finding story arcs as a reward you'd accidentally stumble across but could make it to then-40 level cap missing all except one or two. It's one of the few things redside is better at, as all contacts have an arc or four and your broker can introduce you to all of them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ironslave posted:

This has been my biggest complaint about blueside since the game came out. They set up finding story arcs as a reward you'd accidentally stumble across but could make it to then-40 level cap missing all except one or two. It's one of the few things redside is better at, as all contacts have an arc or four and your broker can introduce you to all of them.

It's one of those things where it got worse as time went on because the focus of the design shifted more to story arcs but all that old content was still in there and unless you knew ahead of time who gave out what missions, there wasn't really any way to tell whether your next contact was going to give you a big important storyline or just a bunch of rando "go clear out this warehouse" missions.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
It's also not always evident which contacts have story arcs and which ones are just mission ATMs. Some contacts even do the "THIS MISSION" or "THIS MISSION" and you just have to keep running them until the story arc pops up, while others have no arcs.

Hooray for Oroboros and all, but still.

Although it is always a little funny redside to get a contact, only for them to welcome you, say you'll do great things together and they're really looking forward to it, oh and let me introduce you to my friend, and now you are dead to me forever because I hate you all in one meeting.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if anyone cares about this sort of thing, i got tired of burning my eyes at night on paragonwiki and cribbed some regular wikipedia styles to throw this firefox userstyles theme together real quick. i havent noticed anything egregious, but there might be something funky i havent noticed yet

code:
/* ParagonWiki Dark Theme v0.1 (2019-07-19)
 * [url]http://userstyles.org/styles/[/url]
 * Modified from [url]https://userstyles.org/styles/134531/simple-dark-blue-wiki-theme[/url] & [url]https://userstyles.org/styles/105844/wikipedia-dark-st[/url]
 */

/* *** Basic *** */

*{
   background-color: #151515 !important;
   color: #BCBCBC !important;
}

a{
    color: #4be !important;
}
a:visited:hover {
    color: #baf !important;
}
a:visited {
    color: #98f !important;
}
a:hover {
    color: #7df !important;
}
a.new {
    color: #ba0000!important;
}
div.vectorTabs li.selected{
font-weight:bold}

.mw-mmv-dialog, .oo-ui-menuSelectWidget,
.tipsy,.suggestions
{
background-color: rgba(32,32,64,.85) !important;
}
.tipsy{padding:0px}
.mw-mmv-dialog{box-shadow:0 0 0;border: 1px solid #3366cc}

body, form, table, tbody, tr, td, fieldset, ul, li,
#content, #bodyContent, div#mw-head{
   background-color: #151515 !important;
}

/* text selection */
::selection {
   background-color: #4183C4 !important;
   color: #fff !important;
}
::-moz-selection {
   background-color: #4183C4 !important;
   color: #fff !important;
}

/* *** Form Elements *** */
input, select, button, checkbox{
   -moz-appearance: none !important;
   border: 1px white solid !important;
   outline: none !important;
   background-color: #333 !important;
}

div#simpleSearch{background:none}
#simpleSearch{
   border: none !important;
}

/* *** Main *** */
#content{
   font-family: trebuchet, arial !important; 
   font-size: 12pt !important;
   border: 0 !important;
}

div#siteNotice{
   display:none !important;
}
p{
}
a:visited{
   font-weight: bold !important;
   opacity: 0.65 !important;
}

h2{
   border-bottom: #ccc 1px solid !important;
   font-size: 120% !important;
}
h2 > span{
   color: white !important;
}
h2 > span > span{
   color: white !important;
   font-size: 100% !important;
}

fieldset{
   border-color: #ddd !important;
}

#bodyContent ul{
   list-style-image: none !important;
   list-style-type: disc !important;
}
#toc ul{
   list-style-type: none !important;
}

.thumb{
   border-color: #333 !important;
}

/* *** Tabs *** */
#searchButton{
   display: none !important;
}

div.vectorTabs,
div.vectorTabs ul,
div.vectorTabs ul > li,
div.vectorTabs ul > li > a,
div.vectorTabs span,
.wikiEditor-ui-toolbar
{
background-image: none !important;
}

#right-navigation > .vectorMenu,
#ca-watch{
   display: none !important;
}

div.vectorTabs ul > li > a > span{
   padding: 0 !important;
}
div.vectorTabs ul > li > a{
  outline: 1px #888 solid !important;
  margin: 0 0.5em;
  height: auto !important;
  font-weight: normal !important;
}
div.vectorTabs ul > li > a:hover{
   text-decoration: none !important;
   outline: 1px #ccc solid !important;
}

/* *** Preference *** */
#preftoc > li{
   outline: 1px #ccc solid !important;
   border-bottom: 5px #ccc solid !important;
}

.successbox{
   border-color: white !important;
}

/* *** Search *** */
#search .search-types ul,
#search .results-info ul{
   list-style-type: none !important;
}

/* *** Image and Math *** */
img{
   background-color: #fdfdfd !important;
}
img.tex{
   padding: 5px !important;
}
span.tex{
   border: 1px white solid !important;
   padding: 5px !important;
}

Set "applies to: URLs on the domain paragonwiki.com"

site fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 20, 2019

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
His name? Space Cop.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Headless Chicken. Axe/Regeneration Brute. Axe skin is the hatchet model. Aura is "Omega", tinted red and set to "Head" so it looks like blood spurting endlessly from the stump.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 20, 2019

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Ironslave posted:

And of course, when people asked about being able to go back and do arcs they missed, Emmert said 'no' and that it was 'working as intended'.

Personally? I intentionally went deep into XP debt so I wouldn't outlevel whatever arcs were available.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bieeanshee posted:

Personally? I intentionally went deep into XP debt so I wouldn't outlevel whatever arcs were available.

Which would also fulfill badge-completionist ADHD, since there were debt badges.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I never felt like I was missing out on storyarcs back on live, I mean there was always new stuff to do, and the taskforces and trials were the cooler stories at the time, I guess. I did play a blaster pre-AT rework so I was probably also dead often enough to have enough XP debt to not miss anything good.

Doon
May 4, 2005
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
I am a mature adult.

My Grav/Storm Controller,
The Moist Spot:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I soloed most of the time, and considered getting the story souvenirs a completionist thing. I usually played a few missions, tops, before logging out. TFs and such were hell on my attention span, and since only the leader got the scoop on what the heck was going on, there wasn't a lot there for me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is there any way to reject picking up common salvage like you can with recipes

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I need to figure out all the newer arcs I missed and the ones I liked on live because I’ve just been blasting through levels on characters and I’ve got no clue what poo poo like the First Ward and stuff are

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

site posted:

Is there any way to reject picking up common salvage like you can with recipes
I'm not sure, but what you can do is type /ah to open up the auction house and list them all for 1 inf.

It's a handy way to clear your inventory.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I busted my rear end making sure I hit every single story arc (you're drat right I bugged the GMs to give me my Calvin Scott TF souvenir :argh:) on my first main. Ended up not missing a single one, even squeaking in Croatoa when that launched so low level. Eventually I moved to a different server and onto new characters, but obviously meticulously devouring all those arcs helped give me the deep appreciation for the lore that I have.

Keep in mind, it wasn't actually all that easy to out-level content back in those days because the XP curve was originally much slower. Even getting through the low levels took some time, hence why hitting 14 for your travel power and 20 for Stamina was always such a big deal. The number of arcs in each level range also started pretty small, 3 at the earliest, before slowly blooming until you've got like 8 arcs to track down in the 35-40 range as you struggled to actually hit 40 before running out of content.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can't believe giving you your travel power at loving 14 ever made it past internal alpha testing

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

As I Ninja-Run and flip my way around Atlas Park, I remember all those wrong turns I took back when the game first came out, requiring you to backtrack or possibly run into something dangerous around a blind corner. How people took Combat Jumping and spent power increases in Sprint just to get around. How Hover meant you might get to where you want without dying, but it's just going to take a goddamn long time.

Yeah it was painful. I remember trying to solo as a Inv/SS tanker back in the early days, and the grind it took to get to level 20 to unlock stamina. Had to fight blue/green mobs, or else you'd run out of power and all your toggles would drop. But not fighting white/yellow groups meant your xp would suck, which is why it took so goddamn long to get to 20. Not to mention that this was the era before power customisation, so that wonderful hero you put so much effort into looking nice ended lighting up like a disco-ball.

Early CoH was annoying in a lot of ways, but the game really did improve over time. Playing it now at Issue 25 for the free server is an amazing experience. I don't miss the bad old days.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
There were just a lot of things that were products of their time. Gotta remember how long it took to get anywhere in Everquest and even in World of Warcraft, having to wait til lvl 40 for a mount. It's just much more noticeable because of the superhero genre, but the logic had more to do with other MMO's. Can't let players move and advance too quickly when they're paying by the month.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Now that we don’t really need to care so much about copyright poo poo, any chance folks are modding in things like Starfleet looking uniforms and such?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

My first character. I remember how you basically had to group up, and you had to make sure you had a defender to back you up. Like back when people were actively considering team comp and like "Sorry we already have a tank, we need a blaster" was a thing you could hear. Whereas now it's just like "Group forming, 2/8 go nuts" and you'll still pull through because every class basically can sort itself out.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I could use a little build advice. I've just hit 22, and spent several hundred thousand inf on basic IOs. When I finished, this is what I was left with:

Hawk is slotted with Volley of Velocity at max level (And not likely to change any time soon, I like that set), while Ravens is slotted with an old partial set of Shield Breaker (And the remaining pieces cost anywhere from all my money to twice my money). I'm probably getting diminishing returns on the damage boosts in the pets, but it's not bad, they're still at +90%. I was running out of endurance occasionally, but I think the new IOs in Stamina will help there, plus next level I'm planning to put end reduction in Hawk and Ravens.

Any recommendations for basic IOs or cheap sets (I have about 3 million inf and a modest pile of merit rewards) to round things out would be welcome, and I'd appreciate advice on sets to look out for in the future. I have hosed up a few times by building set IOs that don't actually go in my powers, and would like to avoid that.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Not sure about cheap sets, but I will say that it’s almost always a good idea on masterminds to do what you need to do to get the auras from pet damage, recharge intensive pets, and mastermind archetype sets.

Extra defense and resistance is wonderful, especially when you have melee pets.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Geekboy posted:

Now that we don’t really need to care so much about copyright poo poo, any chance folks are modding in things like Starfleet looking uniforms and such?

I would love if they’d add more stuff. Surely it’s possible to add more costumes, right? I don’t know what (new to me) parts were from live or on the cutting room floor or added for Homecoming or what

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
There is a glaring need to add the Hawaiian shirt and a fat body.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

-Fly is a slow travel power, compared to anything, but it's easy. you can fly
-Afterburner. Gives a defense boost, 12% on a blaster. Boosts your fly speed by about 20% I have it, and its a very nice quality of life thing

you can slot afterburner with flight enhancements to boost your fly speed cap by a lot. 3 slots in flight + 3 slots in afterburner means you'll be going much, much faster than base flight speed. for most of live fly was 'the slow travel power' but i think it outranks everything except teleport now, and it's much less fiddly than any of the others. superspeed can probably still outrun you on a flat horizontal plane, but there aren't lots of those in coh

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Super Jump is my default unless I'm going for a theme.
There's just so much versatility.

That being said, it's not great for missions with low ceilings.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I just remember how fly is a power where its Base unenhanced speed is higher than the fly speed cap, and Afterburner will raise the speed cap. Also Afterburner makes you Only Effects Self. I just did some testing with the powers. Testing was at level 50 with even level SOs. Numbers rounded down

Fly and Mystic Fly are 58 mph when 0, 1, 2, and 3 slotted with even level fly speed SOs. Slotted speed does nothing, as the power is already at the speed cap for flight.

Hover Takes speed and works well with slotting as such 0-26, 1-30, 2-35, 3-39mph

Afterburner does nothing for Hover when active at the same time. Its innate defense boost can help as a oh poo poo button to cap your defense if you need more. Speed Slots in afterburner increases your fly speed cap

Afterburner for speed works best with Fly 1 slotted for speed, Afterburner 2 slotted for speed, getting you 87mph. More in afterburner doesn't raise the speed cap, and more than 1 fly speed in fly is wasted as 1 gets you to the after burner speed cap no matter how you slotted afterburner.

AB0/Fly0 75mph
AB1/Fly0 78mph
AB1/Fly1 79mph
AB2/Fly0 78mph
AB2/Fly1 87mph
AB2/Fly2 87mph
AB3/Fly3 87mph

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 21, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

hup posted:

I would love if they’d add more stuff. Surely it’s possible to add more costumes, right? I don’t know what (new to me) parts were from live or on the cutting room floor or added for Homecoming or what

The entire headless thing is an I25 invention, AFAIK, as an example of what kind of crazy poo poo they can do. Same with the rad as hell Spectrum parts.

That said, there's no way in hell they'd chance the entire project on trying to outright import existing assets (doubtful they actually could, given the complexities and age of the game) and last thing we need is Paramount sniffing around for an easy lawsuit. Even if neither of those things were an issue, I doubt the core dev team is interested in copying things wholesale. Better to keep to the spirit of the game and distill concepts down in ways that can be universally applicable instead of just explicitly designed to create copycat characters.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 21, 2019

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I made a gimmick supergroup so we can play like we're Star Trek without having to actually play Star Trek Online (which I enjoy well enough, but need years long breaks from).

THE STAR LEAGUE

Feel free to hit me or others up in-game for an invite. I think they work offline now too, so that should make it easier. I don't play super-consistently, but enough that it shouldn't be too hard to find me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Decided to lock in janethor before someone else tried to nab her up after the mcu announcement, quickly discovered that oh my god war mace powers eat through end fuckin fast

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
If you're going to ask for "help finishing an arc" don't do stupid loving pubbie bullshit like setting the difficulty to +4x8, dumbass.

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms
We were cruising at +3/8, and hit a speed bump on the last mission at +4/8 that also bugged, but didn’t wipe, and then we moved on to another arc. Maybe shouldn’t have upped it another, I’m sorry it had you so frustrated though!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

your primary responsibility as team leader is to get the difficulty right so that people are getting the XP they crave and not loathing you for existing

EDIT: to be clear I haven't been on in like 12 hours

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 21, 2019

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms
I always go up 1 increment per mission and try not to bite off more than we can chew, but sometimes with certain groups the difference between +3/+4 can be day/night.

Sufficient fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 21, 2019

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I joined a +4/8 team and had no idea what was happening. Everything cons purple? The hallways are packed? There's clouds and fields everywhere? Occasionally a shelf full of boxes comes flying over my shoulder to bean an enemy (I later figured out that was Gravity Control, which gave me an excuse to level Highschool Crush higher)?

Got that character from 6 to 17, though, so I can't complain too vigorously.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I figure the preponderance of +4/x8 teams is people who remember doing that on live but forgot that they were playing level 50s with years worth of IO slotting and not level 10 characters who'll eat poo poo when they do that.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

+4/x8 is totally valid if, in the absence of being a fully-equipped 50, you have the support sets to make sure everyone can actually hit. this is really hard to pull off at TO levels, a bit easier at DO levels, significantly easier at SO levels, etc.

the bad experiences hit randomly because, in terms of bridging a level gap, some team comps are good and some are bad, and nobody really tries to structure a random pug in enough detail to ensure that there are enough accuracy buffs and defense debuffs. i want to be clear in saying that every set can have a place in a good team, but certain sets are going to be needed to deal with the specific problems caused by a level gap.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I remember there was discussion a while back about editing costume files to make your character shorter/taller than the game sliders will allow. What were the maximum values there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Jazerus posted:

you can slot afterburner with flight enhancements to boost your fly speed cap by a lot. 3 slots in flight + 3 slots in afterburner means you'll be going much, much faster than base flight speed. for most of live fly was 'the slow travel power' but i think it outranks everything except teleport now, and it's much less fiddly than any of the others. superspeed can probably still outrun you on a flat horizontal plane, but there aren't lots of those in coh

It only takes 2 powers and 6 slots and you get to fly almost as fast as somebody with superspeed and the base run IO!

Fly is great, but don't over sell it. You can Ninja Run faster than Fly without the huge compromise your slotting requires.

It isn't until you've picked up the 3rd fly pool power that it becomes faster than running everywhere and to have to blow 3 powers and 4 IO picks to get there. 1.65 end a second, too. I know the i25 folks don't want to completely break things, but they should *halve* the end cost and bump up the fly speed cap.