Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Empress Brosephine posted:

Handheld mode is total barf city in looks otherwise game is ok. It definitely plays like a musou game than a MUA game to me but I don’t know if others agree.

It’s more of a classic arcade beat ‘em up, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Handheld mode is total barf city in looks otherwise game is ok. It definitely plays like a musou game than a MUA game to me but I don’t know if others agree.
Musuo is a map strategy game with social links. This is just different configurations of arenas you smash in.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I highly recommend going into the options and changing the controller to scheme 2. It swaps the Dodge/roll with interact. Feels much more natural for dodging while button mashing

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm enjoying the game through the first couple chapters, with a few misgivings. I appreciate what they're trying to do with the staggering in terms of giving the gameplay a little more depth but it seems like it locks you into the same attack pattern in boss battles (spam with stagger attacks til the meter is down, then spam with most powerful attacks available and try to stun the boss, rinse and repeat). I'm hoping they do things to change that up later on in the game.

Zelder posted:

How they gonna give Drax super strength but not Spiderman. What the gently caress

They always end up not giving characters every trait they should qualify for in these games. At least this one acknowledges Peter belongs in the big brain category. They also got very specific with labeling Avengers since most of the roster has been an Avenger in the comics at this point.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

played right up until they drop like 10 heroes on you and I think it's fun. Can already tell this is designed for multiple playthroughs and I love that. Wish they had explained synergy better though i.e. that you can simply use ZR instead of "R and then switch and press A" because the former way is infinitely easier lol. I like how you have to think about the types of abilities for each character since not everyone has a synergy with everybody else. That being said I swapped out all of the Guardians for Spidey/Hulk/Thor/Wolverine immediately without regard for synergy lol.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Man, I am so bad at making synergy attacks work. There’s gotta be a trick or something.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Anybody make it up to (area after Xavier’s school) Dark Dimension yet? This boss fight against Dr. Strange is where me and my buddy hit a wall last night. Not sure if my characters are underpowered or something. I’ve been switching around a fair amount and haven’t done any of the rift crystalsInfinity Trials.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Man, I am so bad at making synergy attacks work. There’s gotta be a trick or something.

If you hold ZR it brings up another version of your special attacks that will only activate when there's someone else nearby to do a synergy attack with. It's still kind of a crapshoot because a teammate with special meter left has to be nearby with the target(s) you want to hit within range. I'm sure it works a lot better if you're playing co-op with someone.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Zelder posted:

How they gonna give Drax super strength but not Spiderman. What the gently caress

I think companies forget that Spiderman tends to hold back... not the first time it happens in MUA games with him either.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Chill Penguin posted:

Anybody make it up to (area after Xavier’s school) Dark Dimension yet? This boss fight against Dr. Strange is where me and my buddy hit a wall last night. Not sure if my characters are underpowered or something. I’ve been switching around a fair amount and haven’t done any of the rift crystalsInfinity Trials.

Same. We gave it 5 goes and even lowered the difficulty down. Mind you, we’ve been switching up characters a LOT....so not everyone has a great lvl.

After the halfway mark and those summons it all goes downhill.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
If I host a multiplayer room can people join in while I'm playing or do I need to wait for it to fill?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Darkmoon2k posted:

All heroes traits and powers (plus synergy icons): https://imgur.com/a/XEgUpHO

I haven't been able to boot up the game yet but going by this looks like a lot of people have their Marvel vs Capcom moves? Stuff like Berserker Barrage and Venom Fang? That's pretty neat :unsmith:

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
^^^ Yeah, you can definitely feel the Capcom Marvel influence.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Same. We gave it 5 goes and even lowered the difficulty down. Mind you, we’ve been switching up characters a LOT....so not everyone has a great lvl.

After the halfway mark and those summons it all goes downhill.

The thing I couldn’t figure out is whether you’re supposed to kill the orbs a certain way or something. Or if it’s better to just ignore them and focus on the boss.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Chill Penguin posted:

That was my first wipe, I went back and optimized my party since I'd just switched in some characters to level and I still wiped. Guess it's time to actually level up some characters' abilities and equip some ISO. I'm stubbornly refusing to lower the difficulty.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The more I play the more I like it but it doesn’t make a good first impression. I wish you could customize the controls though as my brokebrain wants me to Kee hitting the analog stick to directionally dodge. I think if they added that it would’ve made the game way more fluid and control better. I miss Marvel Heroes :(

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shindragon posted:

I think companies forget that Spiderman tends to hold back... not the first time it happens in MUA games with him either.

lol whenever this gets brought up I always remember the Superior Spiderman story wherein Doc Ock controls Peter Parker, then gets into a fight and legit breaks a guy's jaw off his face with a single punch, and Ock is just thinking "holy gently caress he's been holding back all this time"

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
My other favorite is when he fights Punisher and he is like don't make me hurt you and Spidey is like hahaha aww how cute, you think you can hurt me. He even lets Punisher get two clean hits and is like yeah lol no. It's really weird that games forget that spidey has super strength.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 20, 2019

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

It's because this game is in the pocket of j jonah Jameson, wake up people

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Reallycoolname posted:

Am I alone in thinking that the stagger mechanic is kinda lame? Seeing Hulk smash a fool head-on and them not even reacting really, really sucks. In fact, there's no sense of force behind my attacks at all.

Meanwhile even the biggest hero gets tossed like ragdolls by random mook's attacks.

The fact that stagger-able enemies have no hitstun is like the single biggest reason the game feels so mushy and dull to play.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Are there any other pre-order bonus costumes besides X-Chef Deadpool?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Chill Penguin posted:

Are there any other pre-order bonus costumes besides X-Chef Deadpool?

GameStop had a poster and Nintendo gave.... something. I forgot.

The Deadpool thing isn't really pre-order bonus though. It's just what happens when you pay for the pack, like Smash Bros' pack.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

The Ultron fight was a pain in the rear end, mostly because the AI teammates do next to nothing to avoid attacks. Most of my characters being underleveled because I've been using almost everybody probably doesn't help either.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

ThermoPhysical posted:

GameStop had a poster and Nintendo gave.... something. I forgot.

The Deadpool thing isn't really pre-order bonus though. It's just what happens when you pay for the pack, like Smash Bros' pack.

I pre-ordered directly on the eshop and purchased the DLC pass too. I had Deadpool unlocked from the start, along with his chef costume. Was mainly wondering if there were any other costumes to look out for.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

haha I got killed the first time I did the Kingpin boss fight. I did some Infinity trials to get some of my guys leveled at least to 10 or 11 first. A few characters need to get to 10/15 to really start doing cool poo poo, having only 1 ability to start limits a lot of synergies.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
I slapped this together in mspaint.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Darkmoon2k posted:

I slapped this together in mspaint.

i love you.

i am also loving the game, my only real issue is the lack of ai controls in a game where using synergy abilities is so important. wish i could just tell them not to ever use skills unless i say so. positioning is another issue, but i can work with that more. these are also only really issues in single player where you have to control everyone.

the hardest enemy in the game so far was the aim snipers in wakanda. not even a boss, just some snipers that 2hit your characters if you get in their los. wiped more there than i had yet, was raging.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

bushisms.txt posted:

Musuo is a map strategy game with social links. This is just different configurations of arenas you smash in.

I think my biggest knock against the game is that they didn’t even bother with the barest bones of a combo system. I keep on trying to light-light-strong whenever I’m surrounded.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Ms. Marvel is really good. My squad right now is her and Luke cage, and I'm waiting for more to unlock before locking down my favorites.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think my biggest knock against the game is that they didn’t even bother with the barest bones of a combo system. I keep on trying to light-light-strong whenever I’m surrounded.
It's weird, it does have one but it's really rigid. Only certain characters have certain links or strings that can be comboed, like Wolverine, star Lord, ms marvel and cage. Not really feeling the spider family low level, too squishy and not outputting enough damage for me.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bushisms.txt posted:

Ms. Marvel is really good. My squad right now is her and Luke cage, and I'm waiting for more to unlock before locking down my favorites.

It's weird, it does have one but it's really rigid. Only certain characters have certain links or strings that can be comboed, like Wolverine, star Lord, ms marvel and cage. Not really feeling the spider family low level, too squishy and not outputting enough damage for me.

ms marvel owns

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whittling down the characters I don't give a gently caress about leveling or using so far: Falcon, Captain Marvel, Rocket+Groot, Black Widow, Luke Cage

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DLC Inc posted:

whittling down the characters I don't give a gently caress about leveling or using so far: Falcon, Captain Marvel, Rocket+Groot, Black Widow, Luke Cage

Sweet Christmas!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Rocket+Groot look cool but eh... Captain Marvel is on my team right now but Spidey and Scarlet Witch do all the work. CM and R+G don't..do much. Might swap them out for Miss Marvel and maybe Venom.

Wanda however isn't going anywhere.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Have decided on Wolverine as my permanent team member. Writing off Rocket + Groot, Black Widow, and Crystal.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
double post :downs:

Darkmoon2k fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 21, 2019

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
My current team:

• Storm: Support caster, has insanely powerful crowd control abilities and can imbue allies with ice or electricity if they have the Elemental Charge trait. Squishy.

• Captain America: Stagger role, extremely tanky, and can buff team damage with the Super Soldiers power. Has Elemental Charge trait.

• Psylocke: Stagger role, high damage, large AOE extreme attack. Elemental Charge trait. Squishy.

• Deadpool: Brawler, does very good damage and is quite durable (especially with Healing Factor trait), Katanarama! scales up to A-rated stagger as well. Teleport can be very useful in some boss fights for quickly avoiding AOEs. Also has Elemental Charge, and likes tacos.

Storm basically imbues the entire team with ice or electricity weapons, which proc stun or freeze, and then I melt purple bars with Cap, Psylocke, and Deadpool synergizing their Charge traited powers. Storm, with her potent AOE, deletes trash mobs and the rest of my team turns purple bars and bosses into slag with their high rating stagger abilities.

Darkmoon2k fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 21, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This Infinity where you have to fight Doc Ock twice and then Green Goblin and it's timed is kind of horrible.

That dipshit Norman uses The World and the timer still goes down as time is frozen.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
The alt-itis is real

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Storm being one of the best characters in every fighting game/dungeon crawler she's in is appropriate given her omega-level powers, probably the only character who is just consistently good in every game she's in except for Arcade's Revenge which put her in a terrible underwater labyrinth.

All 3 spideyfriends feel so drastically different, I kind of like it. Spiderman has his little drone gadget, Spider-Gwen has maybe the most incredible synergy special right now with that fuckoff web wrecking ball, Miles feels like the best brawler. Also cool how the two youngsters get the ground pound air move while Peter has a crowd control websling kick+air web to police things. The movesets aren't huge by any means but I like how some people get unique heavy attack stuff like Hulk's rupture or Thor/Cap getting long range stagger moves.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Strom rules. Stromboli also owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think I've fought Kingpin like 8 loving times lol. I legit can not beat this rear end in a top hat.

edit: I think I'm either underleveled or being on Mighty difficulty is not a good idea at all. I have a team of mostly level 10s and when I tried the doc ock infinity trial I was doing like 10 damage per hit and got wiped the gently caress out. Somehow I think the difficulty is just loving whack because I assumed "lvl 10" meant I would be on par but now Iheard people are on like lvl 20 to beat that one. So I'm assuming the reason I get loving destroyed by Kingpin with my lvl 10 guys is the Mighty difficulty? Because I really have no idea why I can barely make a dent while getting one-shotted by things.

double edit: nvm just used an experience orb each to get my team all to level 11, and then beat Kingpin without any issues. jesus this game's balancing is either weird or the gains from leveling are way more than I thought.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 21, 2019