Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Right, but can't you still go to Maps in Auto and tap the search bar to get the home and work options right there?

You can but she wanted it on the home screen so she can see when she gets into the car immediately what the ETA is and the traffic conditions which is what the card tells you. She doesn't need to navigate home every day from work, she knows where she lives and how to get there, she wants the information about the traffic without having to go into Maps.

vyst posted:

I need to know who these people are that are letting strangers charge their phones on another phone from this Samsung Galaxy commerical. I can't think of anyone that cool with strangers

Maybe where I live is unusual but I've never had trouble finding conversation and fast friends at a bar, though I'll admit I judge people who allow their phones to die harshly so while I wouldn't find it odd that it could happen, my morality would prevent me from helping them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

You can but she wanted it on the home screen so she can see when she gets into the car immediately what the ETA is and the traffic conditions which is what the card tells you. She doesn't need to navigate home every day from work, she knows where she lives and how to get there, she wants the information about the traffic without having to go into Maps.

Ok, I've never seen this card. I just see one with "Home" and that's it. I get the estimated travel time and traffic conditions on my phone as a normal notification.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Ok, I've never seen this card. I just see one with "Home" and that's it. I get the estimated travel time and traffic conditions on my phone as a normal notification.

You've never seen this card?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

You've never seen this card?

Not with the info, no. Just the label and the arrowhead.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Weird. For both my wife and I it shows Home, Work (though not if you're at one of those places), anything you've searched for in Maps in any recent session that's drivable, and one or two suggestions for places we usually go at that time of day (such as coffee on the way to work for her). All have drive time, suggested route, and traffic conditions for that route as indicated by the color of the drive time. This has always been the way Auto has worked for both of us. :shrug:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Yet more Pixel 4 and XL renders:

Many more here: https://www.igeeksblog.com/google-pixel-4-leaks-renders-135639/

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I don't get why they switched to a big dumb square in the back when something like the 6P's "visor" will let your phone sit flat on a table.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Quixzlizx posted:

There doesn't seem to be a dedicated Chromecast thread, so I guess I'll ask this in here. Whenever I cast a Youtube video from my PC, the Hulu app on my phone becomes unable to cast until I reboot my phone. Is there something specific I need to do to "unlink" the current cast or something?

Sometimes if the chomecast gets stuck you can jiggle it free by doing a screen cast from your phone and ending it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

butt dickus posted:

I don't get why they switched to a big dumb square in the back when something like the 6P's "visor" will let your phone sit flat on a table.

Th visor was sick and the 6p had a bomb rear end camera

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

vyst posted:

I need to know who these people are that are letting strangers charge their phones on another phone from this Samsung Galaxy commerical. I can't think of anyone that cool with strangers

People would do it on set a lot since every spare plug that isn't covetously guarded by grips and poo poo immediately blossoms into a disgusting tentacle monster of dead and dying iphones

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sweet iphone clo- wait.

Beginning to think Google got a raw deal with those HTC people they bought. :effort:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Pixel 4, with afro and goatee.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Mister Facetious posted:

Sweet iphone clo- wait.

Beginning to think Google got a raw deal with those HTC people they bought. :effort:

Genuinely wondering what is wrong with the P4. At a point all smart phones look similar, this one has thin bezels, even the top one is smallish

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Genuinely wondering what is wrong with the P4. At a point all smart phones look similar, this one has thin bezels, even the top one is smallish

I'm sure nothing will be wrong on a technical front beyond the usual nitpicks. It's just bad (suspicious?) timing that the externals look so similar to Apple's upcoming release.
Imagine if it still had a notch, too; lawsuit city then.

Personally I'm a fan of the Pixel 2 XL and the Pixel 3. They should've kept going with the dual front speakers, and made it their signature front look.
As for the back... I dunno. The metal and glass split of previous models was at least functional if not necessarily elegant.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 21, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just want them to perform well. OP7 Pro is spoiling me.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

Sweet iphone clo- wait.

The Pixel 1 was a blatant ripoff of the iPhone's design, the 2 ditched the headphone jack, and the 3 got the notch. Copying the iPhone has been the Pixel's thing from the start.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

The Pixel 1 was a blatant ripoff of the iPhone's design, the 2 ditched the headphone jack, and the 3 got the notch. Copying the iPhone has been the Pixel's thing from the start.

That's what I mean. LG and Huawei were much more original OEMs for Google stuff.
And the 3 XL had the notch, not the 3. The 3 looks like a nicer LG G6.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 21, 2019

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The whole pixel line is an elaborate bet between two Google engineers to see if one can make someone say "is that an iPhone..?" more than people say "is that another Google messaging platform..?"
Jokes on them both however as neither have been able to find a statistically significant userbase.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

There's only so many ways you can design a black glass rectangle. Who cares.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

My self-identiity is wholly reliant on the uniqueness of the external design of the portable video camera computer phone I interact with every day. Advertising can't be wrong about this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

My self-identiity is wholly reliant on the uniqueness of the external design of the portable video camera computer phone I interact with every day. Advertising can't be wrong about this.

If you want unique, get that ridiculous Asus? one that has the flip camera at the top haha

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

RED phone baby!

I actually like that ASUS ROG Phone 2 what is wrong with me :psyduck:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Can't wait for the Nokia banana phone 2nd remake with a new Kai OS based on chrome os instead of Firefox mobile.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not saying it's a bad thing don't get me wrong. I'm just saying being surprised the Pixel 4 is taking cues from the iPhone is a little silly given its history.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

I'm not saying it's a bad thing don't get me wrong. I'm just saying being surprised the Pixel 4 is taking cues from the iPhone is a little silly given its history.

I'm not seeing iPhone in it, anymore than any other mainstream phone?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not seeing iPhone in it, anymore than any other mainstream phone?

Pretty sure this is the year iPhones are supposed to get a square camera array with like 3 or 4 camera on the back

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sourdough posted:

Pretty sure this is the year iPhones are supposed to get a square camera array with like 3 or 4 camera on the back

Oh poo poo, I genuinely thought those were fake designs or fantasy phones, not actual leaks or accurate rumours. Welp, sorry.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh poo poo, I genuinely thought those were fake designs or fantasy phones, not actual leaks or accurate rumours. Welp, sorry.

The early leak/already released clones in China have the bump as all black glass, like the PIxel 4:

Current version of iphone 11: square camera bump with 2/3 lenses depending on version, R will supposedly have two.

And of course, the Mate 20 already had the same thing, albeit center mounted instead.
Just some interesting convergence.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 21, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

The early leak/already released clones in China have the bump as all black glass, like the PIxel 4:

Current version of iphone 11: square camera bump with 2/3 lenses depending on version, R will supposedly have two.

Those are so loving weird to look at now, because I didn't realize those were real/accurate in any way and my brain cemented the Pixel 4 as being the first to come with that design. Sigh. You guys are totally right, I was misinformed.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The front of the P4 isn't too bad, it's like a G6 with only one bezel. I can get behind that.

Now if only the recent release of the 3a XL didn't basically guarantee the Pixels 4 to be at least the same prices as their predecessors... :sigh:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have location history turned off at the account level, but my phone asked me to confirm a visit to somewhere I went the other day, and I'm pretty sure I didn't bring that phone with me, just the other one. Should I have taken a screenshot? Which software asks that? I closed it and now I forgot.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Charles posted:

I have location history turned off at the account level, but my phone asked me to confirm a visit to somewhere I went the other day, and I'm pretty sure I didn't bring that phone with me, just the other one. Should I have taken a screenshot? Which software asks that? I closed it and now I forgot.

Google Maps. It wants you to review stuff etc. "The other phone" shouldn't matter if you're logged on with the same account. And it's totally tracking you everywhere, with WiFi, cellular towers and/or GPS. Turning off location history just means "don't tell me what you know".

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm on a galaxy s8 on the Three network in the UK and I'm trying to get to the bottom of a data connection issue.

Basically when in at home my signal often drops to H/H+ or whatever that is, yet when I reset the phone it jumps right back up to full 4g and stays that way until I stop using the phone and come back to it later.

I've not noticed it do it outside of my home.

I'd have chalked it up to signal, but resetting the phone seems to temporarily fix it so I'm really not sure.

I've only really had this issue for the last 2 months or so.

Anyone have a clue what it might be or what should try to do to find out? I've already tried safe mode and the connection drop still happens.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

yeah that's a black-only phone. The back looks hideous in white.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I say this with no hyperbole: camera humps are the worst design paradigm of smartphones. All so what, we can claim a phone 1/4 mm thinner than if the back was uniform? Something is only as thin as its thickest part. I liked the design of the Nexus 6P but it would have been better if the whole thing was as thick as the Cylon visor.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Humerus posted:

I say this with no hyperbole: camera humps are the worst design paradigm of smartphones. All so what, we can claim a phone 1/4 mm thinner than if the back was uniform? Something is only as thin as its thickest part. I liked the design of the Nexus 6P but it would have been better if the whole thing was as thick as the Cylon visor.

For the most part I don't mind camera bumps because they're flush with whatever case I slap on the phone, though I'm always slightly worried that I'm scratching the lens cover if I set it down carelessly since it's now flush instead of depressed.

That one Windows phone with the massive bump though, there's no excuse for that monstrosity. :colbert:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I miss my HTC Rezound. I really liked the feel of the phone, and I was actually really fond of Sense and it's green accents.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
At this point, caring about phone aesthetics is pointless because you're going to have to put that poo poo in a case if you want it to last two years.

Functionality and internals are where it's at, and that poo poo better not have a down-firing speaker because those are the worst.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tetrabor posted:

and that poo poo better not have a down-firing speaker

I got bad news for you friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tetrabor posted:

At this point, caring about phone aesthetics is pointless because you're going to have to put that poo poo in a case if you want it to last two years.
People keep saying this and it's absolutely not true. I've never used a case on any phone and never even had a cracked screen. "Everyone is going to put a case on it anyways" is a poor excuse for a bad design.