Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

They considered the elven empire of Myth Drannor shortly before its fall to be the pinnacle of civilized history and strove to recreate the world in that image

So, big time elf weaboos. Not sure the whole "Ancient tradition ways and culture of the inscrutable Elf" is a great model to base society development and growth on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
2nd edition True Neutral is the most hilarious thing. "Now that I've helped this kingdom defeat the goblins, I'm gonna figure out how to help the remaining goblins assassinate the king, to make sure they remain on equal grounds. I'm a totally normal person."

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are Wizards of the Coast still pushing the whole alignment thing or has everyone in the forgotten realms realised it’s silly yet?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Entropy238 posted:

Are Wizards of the Coast still pushing the whole alignment thing or has everyone in the forgotten realms realised it’s silly yet?

It's still on the character sheets and listed in the book, though it's kinda tossed in with a bunch of other optional parts of character creation, so even Wizards know most people are gonna ignore it anyway.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I like alignments. As long as you handle them right, and realize a person isn't going to act in their alignment 100% of the time it's a useful way to demarcate a person's general worldview in a way that a game system can respond to. Also some of the most interesting stuff in D&D is the planar stuff, and that is all based around alignment.

Like I get for actually roleplaying it can be restrictive if your DM gets all stupid about it and insists you roleplay you alignment. But a good DM will let you roll with a good character concept and only use alignment as a mechanic as opposed to a straight jacket.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
even second edition acknowledged that most true neutral people fall under "don't particularly care and just act naturally" and the scale balancing lunatics were an outlier usually confined to spiritual and philosophical orders

it was 4th or 5th edition that's even said paladins can be whatever alignment they want now and your conduct is governed by the letter of your oath rather than how you go about fulfilling it

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 21, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pentyne posted:

So, big time elf weaboos. Not sure the whole "Ancient tradition ways and culture of the inscrutable Elf" is a great model to base society development and growth on.

The late stage Myth Drannor that's referring to was extremely cosmopolitan and accepting. They were actually trying to create a good state for everyone, not just for elves, which pissed the xenophobic racist elves off a LOT. (And there are a good number of those, you can easily just gently caress up evil surface racial supremacist elves in the Realms if you want.)

The irony is that their acceptance lead to Myth Drannor's downfall. A hero rode a redeemed good red dragon into Myth Drannor, which was the trigger for an ancient curse and poured all kinds of fiends into the city, leading to its quick destruction.

It's notable that Myth Drannor fell in the early 700s, and the Harpers in Twilight (the first version of the Harpers) were founded by people who had lived in Myth Drannor, like Elminster. They weren't being weeaboos; they knew something important to the Realms had been destroyed and they were fighting to bring it back.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Buck Wildman posted:

even second edition acknowledged that most true neutral people fall under "don't particularly care and just act naturally" and the scale balancing lunatics were an outlier usually confined to spiritual and philosophical orders

it was 4th or 5th edition that's even said paladins can be whatever alignment they want now and your conduct is governed by the letter of your oath rather than how you go about fulfilling it

I remember that there were two Exemplar Species that represented Neutral. The Rilmani and the Kamerel. The Kamerel were the don't care or have opinions on anything Neutral. Like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ

They were also incapable of recognizing that other creatures outside of themselves existed. One of them, a heretic to them, created a great Library with a device that would create copies of all books in existence so long as the author desired the book be read by other people. The Kamerel were eventually forced into exile (Not being able to interact or understand what is killing you, kind of makings fighting a war hard.) by the Rilmani who wanted access to the library.

The Rilmani on the other hand are scale balancing Lunatics who covertly gently caress things up for anything in the planes they feel the need to interfere in.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The harpers in Athkatla suck and murdered Xzar and Monty, my best buds who’d been with me as long as Imoen.

Every single one of them should die, the pretentious jerks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I remember that there were two Exemplar Species that represented Neutral. The Rilmani and the Kamerel. The Kamerel were the don't care or have opinions on anything Neutral. Like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ

They were also incapable of recognizing that other creatures outside of themselves existed. One of them, a heretic to them, created a great Library with a device that would create copies of all books in existence so long as the author desired the book be read by other people. The Kamerel were eventually forced into exile (Not being able to interact or understand what is killing you, kind of makings fighting a war hard.) by the Rilmani who wanted access to the library.

The Rilmani on the other hand are scale balancing Lunatics who covertly gently caress things up for anything in the planes they feel the need to interfere in.

Relevant to this thread, you smash Rilmani face a bunch in Watcher's Keep. If you don't know who they are, they're just weird named monsters on the lower levels; if you do know who they are it's like hell yes gently caress YOU AND YOUR GODDAMN EVEN-HANDED HORSE YOU RODE IN ON.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
worth mentioning that the rilmani were a planescape race which was a setting obsessed with absolutist representations of things

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

FairGame posted:

The harpers in Athkatla suck and murdered Xzar and Monty, my best buds who’d been with me as long as Imoen.

BG2 had some amazing evil characters but you couldn't even make a full evil party, there were that few. :(

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vichan posted:

BG2 had some amazing evil characters but you couldn't even make a full evil party, there were that few. :(

Ironically the evil characters were also objectively the best from a gameplay standpoint.

Edwin: +2 spells per level
Viconia: 19 dex, 50% magic resistance
Korgan: Berserk, fighter grandmastery

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Sarevok: is Sarevok

(But seriously, those three are fine with Haer’Dalis and Jan, who are probably the two best playable characters you didn’t mention. Well, Keldorn too I guess but that’s when you dual Sarevok to thief and leave your computer on all night while shooting fire giants offscreen in Saradush)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm replaying Siege of Dragonspear for the first time since my playthrough when it was released, and this really is a quality product. I wish this expansion had gotten better press instead of the poo poo it got for one or two throw-away lines, and that Beamdog was given the chance to make, if not BG3, then maybe a super high level expansion to Throne of Bhaal. I know not many people want that, but I'd love a DnD game that explores "what's next" when your character is either divine, or borders divinity.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

FairGame posted:

One of my favourite bits of that whole sequence is the "Didn't you die?" conversation option. Having left Xzar and Monty's magic-missile ridden bodies just by the door of the Friendly Arm many times, it fits. They've died before, they'll get better.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Often Abbreviated posted:

One of my favourite bits of that whole sequence is the "Didn't you die?" conversation option. Having left Xzar and Monty's magic-missile ridden bodies just by the door of the Friendly Arm many times, it fits. They've died before, they'll get better.

you can have that "hold on a tick" moment for nearly every past companion you encounter

Entar "too rich to die" Silvershield in siege of dragonspear was p great

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Buck Wildman posted:

you can have that "hold on a tick" moment for nearly every past companion you encounter

Entar "too rich to die" Silvershield in siege of dragonspear was p great

It does kind of undercut the gravitas of Khalid's death, although no more than Jahiera herself does.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mzbundifund posted:

It does kind of undercut the gravitas of Khalid's death, although no more than Jahiera herself does.

my very first playthrough of BG2, once upon a time, I actually doubled down on the "lol way to go the extra mile for your dead husband" and p much shrugged my shoulders at jaheira shrieking off into the dungeon never to be seen again

I was young enough then that I thought that was literally all there was to her in BG2 and she was just a bit appearance at the beginning to set the mood

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Who is more powerful, Behlifet, or Demogorgon? I'm thinking Demogorgon. Monkies are crazy strong and Demogorgon is two of them.

Also I think I have a bug in Siege of Dragonspear: when activating the 6 Menhirs, I got the riddle or whatever, but Crommus never showed up, and my journal only shows 4 activated. There are two remaining menhirs I can click on and interact with, but they just spit out a canned text and don't let me "make them feel good and hummy". I guess that makes this quest a HUM DINGER! I'm playing the BGT big mod, so I can actually go back to earlier areas of the expansion to finish that quest if there is some solution a man like me is unable to discern.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bgt broke everything for me and doesnt serve much of a purpose beyond novelty imo

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Bgt broke everything for me and doesnt serve much of a purpose beyond novelty imo

Oh man, that sucks. So far aside from the occasional oddness I’ve had no issues.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Who is more powerful, Behlifet, or Demogorgon? I'm thinking Demogorgon. Monkies are crazy strong and Demogorgon is two of them.

Also I think I have a bug in Siege of Dragonspear: when activating the 6 Menhirs, I got the riddle or whatever, but Crommus never showed up, and my journal only shows 4 activated. There are two remaining menhirs I can click on and interact with, but they just spit out a canned text and don't let me "make them feel good and hummy". I guess that makes this quest a HUM DINGER! I'm playing the BGT big mod, so I can actually go back to earlier areas of the expansion to finish that quest if there is some solution a man like me is unable to discern.

My stock line about SoD is that its 1.5 steps forward and one step back, and one of the reasons for that is the reliance on the Use Object Action in their puzzles combined with some uses of IE scripting that pushes the boundaries of what the engine is capable of in both good and bad ways. Even unmodded the Menhir quest is a little.... spotty.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chaosapiant posted:

Demogorgon by far. Belhifet is not nearly on the same level. He is probably inferior to a normal Pit Fiend.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 23, 2019

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah I'm not familiar with the 2e statblocks, but in 5e Demogorgon is the gold standard of Abyssal terrors.

Out of the Abyss is a module that's basically all of the Demonic standard bearers coming into the Underdark for a huuuuuuuuuge party, and Demogorgon (generally) wins the big Royal Rumble between every single one of them at the end.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
e; i cannot believe i quote edited

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Willie Tomg posted:

Yeah I'm not familiar with the 2e statblocks, but in 5e Demogorgon is the gold standard of Abyssal terrors.

Out of the Abyss is a module that's basically all of the Demonic standard bearers coming into the Underdark for a huuuuuuuuuge party, and Demogorgon (generally) wins the big Royal Rumble between every single one of them at the end.

He was also the strongest monster in the AD&D Monster Manual. (Beating out Asmodeus by a single hit point.)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MonsterEnvy posted:

He was also the strongest monster in the AD&D Monster Manual. (Beating out Asmodeus by a single hit point.)

In recent literature, it basically took a colossal gently caress-up on the part of Gromph Baenre to inadvertently bring him to the Prime Material Plane and the entire city of Menzoberranzan to send him back.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

JustJeff88 posted:

In recent literature, it basically took a colossal gently caress-up on the part of Gromph Baenre to inadvertently bring him to the Prime Material Plane and the entire city of Menzoberranzan to send him back.
That must be the worst city to live in. Wit how violent and evil the Drow are and all the bad poo poo that happens there, because of all of the Drow.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That must be the worst city to live in. Wit how violent and evil the Drow are and all the bad poo poo that happens there, because of all of the Drow.

Yeah but they don't consider it the worst, cause the Drow are awful, and consider all the surface dwelling races savages. Who are stupid for not looking over their shoulder every other second, making sure all their food is not poisoned, and sacrificing their children to a Demon who may the next day mark them for death if she felt they somehow offended her.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 24, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there any way to turn off that "fog" effect in Siege of Dragonspear? I get what they were going for and it's cool, but all it ends up doing is making the gorgeous environment art look washed out like faded denim when it rolls in.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

chaosapiant posted:

Is there any way to turn off that "fog" effect in Siege of Dragonspear? I get what they were going for and it's cool, but all it ends up doing is making the gorgeous environment art look washed out like faded denim when it rolls in.

yeah, add the following string to baldur.lua

SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Enable Fog','0')

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dillbag posted:

yeah, add the following string to baldur.lua

SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Enable Fog','0')

Is this the black fog of war, or the white "mist" like stuff that only appears in SoD?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

chaosapiant posted:

Is this the black fog of war, or the white "mist" like stuff that only appears in SoD?

Just the white mist, it's annoying as hell. Like why the gently caress are clouds floating through the dungeon?

Iirc there's no way to turn off the fog of war.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dillbag posted:

Just the white mist, it's annoying as hell. Like why the gently caress are clouds floating through the dungeon?

Iirc there's no way to turn off the fog of war.

Ok cool, that’s what I’m lookin for, thanks!

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah but they don't consider it the worst, cause the Drow are awful, and consider all the surface dwelling races savages. Who are stupid for not looking over their shoulder every other second, making sure all their food is not poisoned, and sacrificing their children to a Demon who may the next day mark them for death if she felt they somehow offended her.

I imagine it's like New York. Constantly moments from death but OH BOY HAVE I MENTIONED THE FOOD CULTURE YET?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
If modern history has taught us anything, it's that people will support a indefensibly terrible cultures and vicious theocracies out of the propaganda-born belief that everything else is somehow worse.

Often Abbreviated posted:

I imagine it's like New York. Constantly moments from death but OH BOY HAVE I MENTIONED THE FOOD CULTURE YET?

As someone who *really* does not like big cities, I genuinely laughed at this.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

As someone who *really* does not like big cities, I genuinely laughed at this.

And yet you enjoy ahn and baldurs gate
:smuggo:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
lol I dualed at 13 into mage and am level 10 before I'm even close to finishing chapter 2 RIP my concerns over not getting my mitts on space houseboat

also I plunked the 9k to get those knights home because I'm a total softie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of dualing, I'm almost at the end of SoD and my Thief/Kensai just reached level 10 in Thief so I got my Kensai abilities back. I did the one on one dual with Ashtiel and chunked her in one hit with my staff because she couldn't see me. IT WAS GLORIOUS!

Edit for more backstab praise: Holy poo poo, never really did much backstabbing before because it's so unwieldy to use and I usually use thieves as bowers and for opening locks and disarming traps. Now I'm playing my Kensai thief going through Chateau Irenicus and positioning and getting off backstabs is hilarious and awesome. I did a critical quad backstab on Illych for 198 pts of damage and he just exploded. I hope this is useful later on for mages. I know a lot of mages tend to have contingencies and what not fire right away, so hopefully the game will let me make ample use of this ability.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 26, 2019