Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Bob Page was kind of an idiot so this checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Hilarious to think that once upon a time Microsoft was the face of faceless, evil multinationals and Bill Gates was vilified for running it. My how the world has changed...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Hilarious to think that once upon a time Microsoft was the face of faceless, evil multinationals and Bill Gates was vilified for running it. My how the world has changed...

Eh, he was the wealthiest man on the planet and did so by simply buying and selling DOS at massive markup and then rolling that into a monopoly business. He deserved to be vilified, and I really hate how MBA majors seem to glorify him so much.

But that's Capitalism™

(He's since given a lot to charity and there's now richer people than him, but he's still stupidly stupidly wealthy and has more money than some small countries, which to me is inherently amoral)

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
He has also pledged to give at least half that to philanthropy at death and seems to have done a good job of directing his philanthropy while alive. Capitalism still sucks and I’m in favor of guillotines but Bill Gates is not at the top of my list.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Gates uses his massive wealth to put himself de facto in charge of state school systems and then gets loads of softball coverage from media outlets that he or his foundation funds, directly or indirectly. Citations Needed did a good episode on him.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

El_Elegante posted:

He has also pledged to give at least half that to philanthropy at death and seems to have done a good job of directing his philanthropy while alive. Capitalism still sucks and I’m in favor of guillotines but Bill Gates is not at the top of my list.

He's done a good job at making his foundation which makes massive profits doing stuff like privatising school systems in developing countries look like charity, yes

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

I mean, Teslas already burn like the brightest star, right?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Antitrust was a good movie.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

El_Elegante posted:

Why are you treating his supposed post-mortem philanthropy as if it absolves anything right now? When someone says "he will do it after he is dead," the response should be what kind of person puts off doing good works until they cannot suffer even the slightest bit of inconvenience for the sake of the work? Not a virtuous person, that is for sure. Doubly so when they advertise they intend to do the morally correct and good thing after they are dead.

It is a sick joke.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i know it's fashionable--and appropriate itt--to hate on amorphous neo-liberalism. and the sheer fact of such wealth concentration is perhaps a fundamental structural problem. but gates has already given $50 billion away over the years (out of current net worth of $90 billion). and a lot of his charity work has to do with providing basic sanitation, basic inoculations, basic agricultural development, basic loans, to people in the third world. stateside the foundation has donated billions to both public and private education in recent years.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Ah poo poo, you're right, amorphous neo-liberalism is good actually?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wooper posted:

Ah poo poo, you're right, amorphous neo-liberalism is good actually?

50 billion to charity is a better thing than 0 to charity imo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think you can hate the idea of billionaires and want to get rid of the ultra rich to make a more equal society without having to think literally every rich person is drinking the blood of children. Bill Gates is relatively inoffensive as billionaires go and the original point that it seems quaint to base a villain on him of all people now, given the sorts of assholes running around in 2019, is valid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Reducing everything to a binary "good / bad" is silly. Life is rarely that simple.

He can be good for a billionaire and do good things, while at the same time still being an uber rich capitalist. Thinking one thing has to win out and invalidate the other is just wrong. You have to recognize both.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Did y'all miss the part where he's a massive driver of school privatisation or

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You did post that, yes. I am not in the habit of uncritically believing everything I read on the internet.

Even if it's accurate, I don't agree with it at all but in the realm of horrible poo poo billionaires are doing it's not exactly top of my list.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

sebmojo posted:

50 billion to charity is a better thing than 0 to charity imo

Charity is terrible.

Charity allows rich fuckers to give themselves good conscience by funding some organization towards their own pet cause instead of giving money to the nation as a whole through paying taxes. You get dozens upon dozens of charities competing against each other, often for the same causes, creating all sorts of inefficiencies. This competition forces charities to allocate part of their budget to advertisement, as they need to keep a high profile to attract donations, so you're effectively funding charities to allow them to organize fundraisers. Between this and other functioning costs, the cause that they champion only sees a tiny little part of the money. Some charities are even entirely scams; this is often the case for "relief" charities created after some disaster of some sort.

It would be so much more efficient if instead of charities, it was handled by the nation-state. But then it would mean two things that rich fuckers will never accept:
  • Causes other than their own personal pet causes would be funded too, which would be against their divide to rule philosophy
  • The money going to these causes would be considered a right rather than a privilege by those who get it

When a rich fucker gives money to a charity that will give, I dunno, clothing to poor children, it's not because they think children are entitled to have clothing. It's because they think some children should grow up to be grateful that the rich fucker condescended to magnanimously give them the gift of clothing while the other children from the other orphanage, who did not get graced by the touch of the mighty philanthropist, have to make do with potato sacks. Let that be a lesson to you, little ragamuffins: it's thanks to Lord Richfuckerton III, esquire, that you've got pants. And it's thanks to Lord Richfuckershire that you get to eat gruel every second day instead of having to hunt down rats and cockroaches! And if you get to have these immense privileges, it's because the rich fuckers got to keep enough money to fund charities thanks to not paying taxes since the abolition of the welfare state that would have given you all an actual comfortable life instead of these sorry excuses, so be extremely grateful toward them!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ok

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
gently caress that 50 billion dollar guy. When is Gates gonna get on my level? :smuggo:
We all know the real way to be the change you want to see in the world is to scrawl out your communist manifesto in the middle of the night on a dead gay forum, specifically in a slow moving thread discussing a 20 year old video game.

Gates is no saint, but out of all the people to be mad at in the world, have you considered that you might be really, really, really bad at prioritizing?

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Ostensible anti-capitalists going to bat for billionaire philanthropy and trying to discipline someone offering a very leftist 101 critique of it is pretty pathetic no matter the context. Deus Ex is in part about the hubris of supposedly well-intentioned capitalists for gently caress's sake.

Bathtub Cheese fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 20, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
So...Stanton Dowd got what he deserved?

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
Rhetoric--and you believe it!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

El_Elegante posted:

So...Stanton Dowd got what he deserved?

The events on Pangaea were the proletariat rising up to eat the rich.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’d be happy if they went down the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro remaster route; the game is functionally identical to the original but much much prettier.

Its probably more feasible than a full blown remake.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
It would be hilarious if they remade Deus Ex in a new engine, all the levels a faithful but prettier, the soundtrack is remastered, etc., but then they put in garbage like arrows that point you to your destination.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
Or microtransactions.

Paul: "Remember that we're police. Stick with the prod. It will stun your opponents or knock them unconscious. A nonlethal takedown is always the most silent way to eliminate resistance. Just in case, though, ***SQUARE ENIX ONLINE*** wants you to pick an additional weapon: $5 USD for the sniper rifle starter pack, $7.50 USD for the minicrossbow collection with scarf and bomber jacket, or $10 USD for the GEP Gun total annihilation pack with 2 free lootboxes. A new window is opening, so make sure your payment options are up to date."

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

You did post that, yes. I am not in the habit of uncritically believing everything I read on the internet.

Even if it's accurate, I don't agree with it at all but in the realm of horrible poo poo billionaires are doing it's not exactly top of my list.

You could google it or follow the link I posted if u want pal. Expand your horizons. Be free.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, seriously, dig into that Citations Needed 2-parter on Bill Gates. He fuckin' suuuuucks and his image all bought-and-paid for PR.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Never mind the bombing of the national landmark people insist was an inside job, or a pres-butan-2-hack government worker fleeing to Hong Kong after leaking top secret information. The most prescient writing in Deus Ex is how half of you sound like markov bots trained on NSF internal e-mails.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 21, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Never mind the bombing of the national landmark people insist was an inside job, or a pres-butan-2-hack government worker fleeing to Hong Kong after leaking top secret information. The most prescient writing in Deus Ex how half of you sound like markov bots trained on NSF internal e-mails.

markov bots you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbObIAIR3sA

I can't help throwing in a few of these quotes whenever I play deus ex now.

"Get pills against my orders!"

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Zaphod42 posted:

markov bots you say?

Malkavian Mod has a new release :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz3WyeVizkk

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Grand Fromage posted:

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah, seriously, dig into that Citations Needed 2-parter on Bill Gates. He fuckin' suuuuucks and his image all bought-and-paid for PR.

Nima Shirazi and Adam Johnson are media experts whose whole schtick is looking criticaly at this kind of bullshit. These episodes would be a good primer to disabuse of the notion that the billionaire rehabbing his image through not-so-selfless charity (with huge loving strings attached) is a good guy.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

bill gates

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

More like Shill Gates if you ask me!!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

markov bots you say?

oh my GOD

"go in and go in and go in and go in"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

running the world. a NEW AGE!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Grey Fox posted:

oh my GOD

"go in and go in and go in and go in"

"By the way Denton, my three daughters wound up dead. Here's your op bonus, 1000 credits."

"Paul I... I thought you were a GEP gun"

"Welcome to the coalition, PROD! I might as well start using your code name."

Just classic stuff.

Oh man this looks even more insane

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

almost unsubbed this thread after the billionaire defender logged in

but this post made me forget all about that, tyvm for posting this here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Now I want desire to be playing much Deus Ex again and I will!