Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

India is a monoculture. What divides could you find there as contentious as the great New Mexico-Arizona feud?

Well, they are now that Modi has united the people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Delthalaz posted:

LOL at the independent pacific coast. What possible justification could there be for that? The deepest cultural divide in the US is through the rockies? this might be the worst map of this type I’ve seen.

Greater Cascadia

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
There was definitely a gimmick poster somewhere in D&D at one point whose whole thing was arguing that east-west was a bigger cultural divide in the US than north-south and all policy must flow from this

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

members of the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization

Molentik fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 22, 2019

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

If you insist on making us guess, please put a description of the map in spoiler tags, at least.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I really enjoy that DC is on that.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Count Roland posted:

If you insist on making us guess, please put a description of the map in spoiler tags, at least.

Fixed :)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The only thing I recognize is somehow England has a thin blue line flag.

Spaced God posted:

this is.... impressively bad.

The person deleted his reddit post so I can't find the original image but this was in the comments

Croatia is dalm.

"Saudi Terrorists" is an odd choice for your ideal world.

No idea who Kalmar is, but apparently he decided to let Canada have Greenland.

The new city-states of Brussels, Baghdad, and I guess...Aragon?

I feel like people who are in favor of one big west coast nation are weird in the head.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Kalmar Union was a not very successful unification of the Scandanavian crowns that lasted for about 100 years 500 years ago.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

SlothfulCobra posted:

The only thing I recognize is somehow England has a thin blue line flag.

Croatia is dalm.

"Saudi Terrorists" is an odd choice for your ideal world.

The new city-states of Brussels, Baghdad, and I guess...Aragon?

I feel like people who are in favor of one big west coast nation are weird in the head.

it says saudi territories

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Golbez posted:

Heh, this has a lot of stuff in it. Every single part of every border here is strange.

* Pennsylvania and Maryland established their border as 39°43' N - this is an east-west line roughly 15 miles south of the southernmost point of Philadelphia. This is part of the famous Mason-Dixon Line.

* The Pennsylvania-Delaware border was established as a 12-mile circle centered on the cupola of the courthouse in New Castle, Delaware. (Not seen: The 12 Mile Circle also included the Delaware River up to the far shore, so any landfill from New Jersey into the river, within the 12 mile circle, is part of Delaware. This has caused major issues more than once. See also: Maryland and DC own the Potomac River, Virginia owns not one drop)

* Also not seen: The Delmarva Peninsula. The Mason-Dixon Line also includes the border between Maryland and Delaware all the way down. It consists of:
** The Transpeninsular Line: A line from Cape Henlopen west to the Chesapeake Bay. However, here, we already have a problem, as the line doesn't start at Cape Henlopen, it starts further south at Fenwick Island.
** Then find the midpoint of this line, let's call this (a).
** Now find the western edge of the Twelve Mile Circle, let's call this point (b).
** Draw a line from (a) to (b). We now have a straight, nearly north-south line - but not quite - called the Tangent Line. This line intersects the Twelve Mile Circle a little bit south of the western edge.

The plan was, that the border would reach the circle, then turn north to the Pennsylvania border - hence, the North Line. Any part of the Twelve Mile Circle west of the North Line remains part of Delaware - hence, the Arc Line.

So now we have all the dramatis personae - the Maryland-Pennsylvania border is defined as 39° 43' N. The Maryland-Delaware border is defined as the North Line, Twelve Mile Circle, and the Tangent Line.

So what about The Wedge, which slips in between 39° 43' N, the North Line, and the Twelve Mile Circle? It can't be Pennsylvania - their southern limit is 39° 43'. It can't be Delaware - their western limit is the Twelve Mile Circle. And it can't be Maryland - their eastern limit is the North Line.

This region remained disputed until 1921. And it wasn't smooth sailing before then - Pennsylvania had made a strong attempt at it, and some federal maps even included it in Pennsylvania as late as 1900. But the states finally came to an agreement. Maryland had no dog in the fight - as no definition of their state went east of the North Line, they had no say. But since it was only the Pennsylvania-Maryland line that was defined as 39° 43' N, then they could say "This border isn't with Maryland, it's with Delaware, so we aren't limited to that."

So yeah. All this over a 684 acre plot of land.

this post and this dispute make me very happy

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Epicurius posted:

The Kalmar Union was a not very successful unification of the Scandanavian crowns that lasted for about 100 years 500 years ago.

It was all the Danes fault if I remember correctly.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The first two times I posted in this thread, 6.5 years ago, was to complain about a redrawn borders "corrected" map and the Delaware wedge, respectively.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Molentik posted:

members of the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization

What's going on in the Baltics?

loving lol if that's the Russian minorities.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

What's going on in the Baltics?

loving lol if that's the Russian minorities.

You can find the interactive map here.

Re: Baltics; Latvia and Estonia were both members of the UNPO before the fall of the Soviet Union. The other dot in de Baltics represents Inkeri/Ingermanland.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

No Palestine...

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

It's a specific organization, so if the Palestinians aren't part of the organization then they're not on the list. It's not a comprehensive list of all underrepresented peoples worldwide. Check the interactive map; the only underrepresented people in the entire western hemisphere right now is Washington DC.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In a bizarre twist of fate, at one point the director of the UNPO was one Karl Habsburg-Lothringen.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Lol at Scania being there. Wikipedia tells me they were expelled in 2011 though.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Molentik posted:

You can find the interactive map here.

Re: Baltics; Latvia and Estonia were both members of the UNPO before the fall of the Soviet Union. The other dot in de Baltics represents Inkeri/Ingermanland.

Oh I thought this map was of current members.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

You can select to show current members, former or both.

In related news, the self-proclaimed leader of one of the UNPO members, the Republic of Chameria, was found murdered this week near Amsterdam.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Yugoslavia has never been behind the Iron Curtain, Serbia is almost 100% Orthodox, Italy needs to look up bluechew

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Time may be just a construct, but holy hell those lines are ugly.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Can't the Chileans and Argentinians agree on the same timezone?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tei posted:

Can't the Chileans and Argentinians agree
No. That's been the case since their founding. Hell, it's been the case since the Viceroyalty of Río de la Plata was governed separately to the Viceroyalty of Perú.

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Yugoslavia has never been behind the Iron Curtain, Serbia is almost 100% Orthodox, Italy needs to look up bluechew

The North Cape - Cape Matan-Line doesn't touch Slovakia or Hungary and Poland/Serbia only barely, there are plenty of greek-catholics in Slovakia and Czechia, the Ottoman Empire included almost all of Hungary and parts of Austria, Czechia and Slovakia as well and even though the roman limes is more or less right, it is kind of misleading to include the UK(half) and Belgium(fully) into the "Wine countries", with a combined viticulture area of 1.300 ha and exclude, again, Czechia and Slovakia with around 42.000 ha of wine . It's a bad map.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Time zones compared to the "natural" time (the sun highest at noon)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Afrikaaners being on that map of unrepresented people is a real :popeye:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

goethe42 posted:

The North Cape - Cape Matan-Line doesn't touch Slovakia or Hungary and Poland/Serbia only barely, there are plenty of greek-catholics in Slovakia and Czechia, the Ottoman Empire included almost all of Hungary and parts of Austria, Czechia and Slovakia as well and even though the roman limes is more or less right, it is kind of misleading to include the UK(half) and Belgium(fully) into the "Wine countries", with a combined viticulture area of 1.300 ha and exclude, again, Czechia and Slovakia with around 42.000 ha of wine . It's a bad map.

Generally agreed but uhh the greek-catholic church has less than 2500 members in Czechia according to wikipedia, which I wouldn't consider 'plenty'.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Peanut President posted:

It's better understood not as a map of unrepresentated people, but as a map of people who are allowed to create organizations to whine about being unrepresentated.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cat Mattress posted:

It's better understood not as a map of unrepresentated people, but as a map of people who are allowed to create organizations to whine about being unrepresentated.

That's kind of a callous take. There's a world of difference in the groups on that map. Afrikaners, eh. DC, they have a point even if there's no imminent crisis. East Turkestan? They're being oppressed.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Peanut President posted:

I'm not really up on South African history but didn't the Afrikaaners spend like 100 years of being slaughtered and chased across southern Africa by the British? Maybe they joined in like, 1901.

Although on that line how'd they get from being the subject of literal murder camps to the point were Afrikaaners dominated the government of South Africa and set up their own not-quite-concentration-camp townships? I guess that's a kind of dumb question since like, Israel, I just don't know the timeline of South Africa and I could probably find out all these answers on Wikipedia.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hendrik Verwoerd won a referendum 52:48 and Zaxited from the Commonwealth.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Saladman posted:

I'm not really up on South African history but didn't the Afrikaaners spend like 100 years of being slaughtered and chased across southern Africa by the British? Maybe they joined in like, 1901.
The Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization was created in 1991. They joined in 2008.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Saladman posted:

Although on that line how'd they get from being the subject of literal murder camps to the point were Afrikaaners dominated the government of South Africa and set up their own not-quite-concentration-camp townships? I guess that's a kind of dumb question since like, Israel, I just don't know the timeline of South Africa and I could probably find out all these answers on Wikipedia.

The Afrikaaners were the guys literally behind Apartheid so them crying now about being unrepresented is pretty funny.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Saladman posted:

The Afrikaners are a fairly well-organized people with a long history and mythology, and South African Anglos never really had the numbers or sense of identity to fully dominate them.

White Rhodesians on the other hand were basically a knock-off Anglo version of Afrikaners, which is why they got along swimmingly

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Saladman posted:

My understanding is that most of the moderate and left-leaning South Africans went abroad during WWII to kill facists while the right-leaning shitheads stayed home and took over the gouvernment resulting in the Apartheid state.

I hope somebody will correct me in great detail about this, it's a facinating subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

So I should have included an explanation with this map. If I recall correctly, it was the visual aid for an essay about how nobody wants to be called "Eastern European" because "Eastern Europe" has negative connotations. But obviously somewhere in Europe there's an eastern part, so some countries have to be Eastern European and here's some places we could put the dividing line.