Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

apropos man posted:

I've been using Remmina on Linux recently.

I use remmina. It's all the servers that are turbofucked. I think I said I got rdp working on a Raspberry Pi, but it's broken on Fedora 30 on PC, Armbian and Ubuntu on the Orange Pi 3, Ubuntu on the Jetson nano, and pretty much everything else. It's a real bitch because I pretty much run everything headless and use my Pinebook as the head for them via ssh, ssh X tunneling, rdp or VNC. One by one they have all stopped working.
Last night I had a little success getting xrdp going on the Orange Pi 3. The session fails but it's trying. Still some work to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Yeah. I like to do much of my management from my Fedora laptop. I don't know why display servers are so fucky at the moment.

I'm not too impressed with Fedora 30, so far though. I'm running it on a ThinkPad T570 and F27 to F29 ran absolutely fine on it. Been using Fedora since about F23 and F23-F29 were always great.

F30 started out being slow as hell. DNF started getting a bit sluggish toward the end of F29 and that hasn't changed. But F30 generally takes a lot longer to boot, my WiFi takes longer to connect (although I may have a DNS forwarding issue I need to sort out on my PiHole/pfSense) and it's just sluggish.

Firefox takes about 10 seconds to load on this laptop with 16GB RAM and a Samsung m.2 SSD. I installed Libreoffice last night because I was loving around with an old Brother label printer and CUPS on another machine and Libreoffice Writer is sluggish.

Is it only me that's not getting the love on the latest Fedora release? I've also got it installed on an HTPC in the bedroom and Firefox takes an age to load on that, too. It's desktop independent because I'm running GNOME on the HTPC and have tried both GNOME and KDE on this laptop. Something has definitely happened to performance from F29 to F30.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I'm about to build a new PC that will run Linux, and considering maybe switching my distro of choice over to something else.
I've been using Ubuntu/Mint, debian based distros pretty consistently for... god probably close to 15 years now, and I guess I'd mostly considered the various Linux flavors to be fairly close in terms of speed/cpu efficiency. But I recently saw this article that showed comparisons between windows, ubuntu, opensuse tumbleweed, and clearlinux(wasn't even aware of this one): https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2990wx-linux-windows&num=2
The article is mostly about threadripper performance issues on Windows compared to Linux , and my new pc is not going to be threadripper anyways, (it will have a 2700X), but I was just surprised to see how much difference there is between the various Linux distros on many of their benchmarks. Also surprising that ClearLinux is specifically tailored for Intel performance but still did quite well on these AMD chips.
It looks like this is mainly due efforts in OpenSuse Tumbleweed and Clear Linux to do as much compiler optimizations as possible (including LTO most recently in Tumbeweed), and at a glance it seems to pay off pretty well.

I last tried OpenSUSE in ~2003 iirc, so its been a while for me. I'm kinda used to the debian-based stuff at this point, but thinking maybe its worth switching to one of these for some of the performance benefits. Anyone currently running OpenSUSE tumbleweed(rolling release), or Clear Linux that can comment on their experience? Like anything I should know specifically coming from a debian world? I guess if I do decide to switch, I'm leaning more towards OpenSUSE than Clear, since I think they have support for a wider range of packages.

I can't even really tell what all is available for Clear Linux, because their software search page seems to be borked right now: https://clearlinux.org/software (always returns "The website encountered an unexpected error. Please try again later." when I search a package name), which is seems like a bad enough sign in itself to just avoid that distro.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
It's more of a personal preference with most things being available for the major platforms. Except CUDA based stuff. Oh my God what a shitshow. Either use Ubuntu or brace your anus!

On my rdp issues, apparently the night before last I got xrdp working properly and not requiring the xvnc back end. Not a goddamn clue how I did that. Nothing looks particularly magical.
I got xrdp working on the Jetson nano last night, but it needs to use the VNC back end. I also need to sign on locally first so wifi networking is enabled. At least it can show a remote screen now I guess.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I'm trying to install telegram-desktop on KDE neon, which is based on ubuntu LTS.

code:
# sudo apt-get install telegram-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
Investigating (0) telegram-desktop:amd64 < none -> 1.2.17-1 @un puN Ib >
Broken telegram-desktop:amd64 Depends on libtgvoip1.0.3:amd64 < none | 1.0.3-3 @un uH > (>= 1.0)
  Considering libtgvoip1.0.3:amd64 0 as a solution to telegram-desktop:amd64 9999
  Re-Instated libtgvoip1.0.3:amd64
Broken telegram-desktop:amd64 Depends on qtbase-abi-5-9-5:amd64 < none @un H >
  Considering libqt5core5a:amd64 3136 as a solution to telegram-desktop:amd64 9999
  Considering libqt5core5a:amd64 3136 as a solution to telegram-desktop:amd64 9999
Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 telegram-desktop : Depends: qtbase-abi-5-9-5
                    Recommends: fonts-open-sans but it is not going to be installed
                    Recommends: libappindicator3-1 but it is not going to be installed
sh: 0: getcwd() failed: No such file or directory
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
According to random bits i've found googling, this can be caused by a "mixed" sources configuration in /etc/apt/sources.list

I'm trying to learn how to fix this but most bits of documentation I've found are vague. Is there a good source to learn about apt that actual explains how it works? the man page isn't that helpful about sources either.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

peepsalot posted:

I'm about to build a new PC that will run Linux, and considering maybe switching my distro of choice over to something else.
I've been using Ubuntu/Mint, debian based distros pretty consistently for... god probably close to 15 years now, and I guess I'd mostly considered the various Linux flavors to be fairly close in terms of speed/cpu efficiency. But I recently saw this article that showed comparisons between windows, ubuntu, opensuse tumbleweed, and clearlinux(wasn't even aware of this one): https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2990wx-linux-windows&num=2
The article is mostly about threadripper performance issues on Windows compared to Linux , and my new pc is not going to be threadripper anyways, (it will have a 2700X), but I was just surprised to see how much difference there is between the various Linux distros on many of their benchmarks. Also surprising that ClearLinux is specifically tailored for Intel performance but still did quite well on these AMD chips.
It looks like this is mainly due efforts in OpenSuse Tumbleweed and Clear Linux to do as much compiler optimizations as possible (including LTO most recently in Tumbeweed), and at a glance it seems to pay off pretty well.

I last tried OpenSUSE in ~2003 iirc, so its been a while for me. I'm kinda used to the debian-based stuff at this point, but thinking maybe its worth switching to one of these for some of the performance benefits. Anyone currently running OpenSUSE tumbleweed(rolling release), or Clear Linux that can comment on their experience? Like anything I should know specifically coming from a debian world? I guess if I do decide to switch, I'm leaning more towards OpenSUSE than Clear, since I think they have support for a wider range of packages.

I can't even really tell what all is available for Clear Linux, because their software search page seems to be borked right now: https://clearlinux.org/software (always returns "The website encountered an unexpected error. Please try again later." when I search a package name), which is seems like a bad enough sign in itself to just avoid that distro.

As I said a page ago, I'm running openSUSE Tumbleweed as my main driver both at home and at work, and it just works. So yeah, unless you need some software that cleverly assumed that Ubuntu is the only Linux in existence, you should be okay. It also supports all major DEs as first-class citizens.

One thing that's also really neat about it is the Open Build Service, which doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves in the Linux community, especially since it can build packages for other distros as well. It's rather nice to have the whole build process open and transparent: https://build.opensuse.org/

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Hollow Talk posted:

As I said a page ago, I'm running openSUSE Tumbleweed as my main driver both at home and at work, and it just works. So yeah, unless you need some software that cleverly assumed that Ubuntu is the only Linux in existence, you should be okay. It also supports all major DEs as first-class citizens.
OK I guess I'll give it a shot when the parts come in.

Hollow Talk posted:

One thing that's also really neat about it is the Open Build Service, which doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves in the Linux community, especially since it can build packages for other distros as well. It's rather nice to have the whole build process open and transparent: https://build.opensuse.org/
Yeah I was actually aware of this from an OSS project I contribute to which uses it for all of their Linux builds. Pretty cool to provide such a service, and encouraging that they have this whole building/packaging thing figured out well.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Amethyst posted:

I'm trying to install telegram-desktop on KDE neon, which is based on ubuntu LTS.

code:
# sudo apt-get install telegram-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
Investigating (0) telegram-desktop:amd64 < none -> 1.2.17-1 @un puN Ib >
Broken telegram-desktop:amd64 Depends on libtgvoip1.0.3:amd64 < none | 1.0.3-3 @un uH > (>= 1.0)
  Considering libtgvoip1.0.3:amd64 0 as a solution to telegram-desktop:amd64 9999
  Re-Instated libtgvoip1.0.3:amd64
Broken telegram-desktop:amd64 Depends on qtbase-abi-5-9-5:amd64 < none @un H >
Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 telegram-desktop : Depends: qtbase-abi-5-9-5
                    Recommends: fonts-open-sans but it is not going to be installed
                    Recommends: libappindicator3-1 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
According to random bits i've found googling, this can be caused by a "mixed" sources configuration in /etc/apt/sources.list

I'm trying to learn how to fix this but most bits of documentation I've found are vague. Is there a good source to learn about apt that actual explains how it works? the man page isn't that helpful about sources either.

from the very little I understand about linux, it is a sources issue. The package you tried to install has a couple of packages that it needs to work, however they're not included in your sources document or whatever and that's why you can't pull it over terminal.

All you need to do is either find someone else with the same issue who has put together a ppa (?? I think) with the packages in it, or manually install them by finding the packages on the internet and unzipping/making them. Once you find a way to install libappindicator3-1 and fonts-open-sans you should be able to install the qtbase dependency and then telegram desktop.

E: I posted this so that people could laugh at my hackneyed reasoning and linux knowledge.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

One thing you can try is installing aptitude and seeing what that makes of it. Aptitude is a little bit better at resolving strange dependency trees. (It can also be a little more verbose as to why it won't do X or Y).

However, you may ALSO wish to review aptitude's plan before it does things cause one of the things it (potentially) considers is like downgrading half your system to fulfill a specific versioned requirement.

Basically apt has 2 packages it doesn't think it can install, either because you've explicitly told it not too in the past (unlikely) or they conflict with existing packages/versions you have installed (significantly more likely)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

This seems like a weird error to see there, and it makes me wonder if it could be causing the whole issue?

With all apt issues, the first thing to do is run `apt-get update`. You can also get weird dependency errors if you have incompatible repos set up. That isn't just in /etc/apt/sources.list but in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
You can pretty much just use apt these days instead of aptitude or apt-get.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Thanks everyone.

xtal posted:

This seems like a weird error to see there, and it makes me wonder if it could be causing the whole issue?

Yeah I was selectively ignoring that because it seems annoying. I'll dig into it now, cheers.

e: I figured that error out. It was caused by running the apt command from a non-existant folder. A package manager called snapcraft apparently dynamically mounts stuff into ~/snaps/ when you run a package installed with snap? Doesn't play well with the kde app launcher at all. Anyway I'm still stuck with the dependency resolution issue.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 22, 2019

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I tried copying some config file content from the Orange Pi 3 to the Jetson nano to get xrdp working properly. It didn't help. It still only works with the xvnc backend which kind of sucks.
I tried to get it to autoload wifi without a user logging in too. That doesn't work yet either.
Interesting thing I noticed when using xrdp with vnc backend is it is totally ignoring that it was told to use xfce.
Another puzzling thing was when I was connected to a session I couldn't open a terminal window. I'd click on it, it'd spin the busy wheel cursor then nothing. Until that night when I went to turn it off locally. The login (needed for Wifi) had a whole bunch of terminal windows open. What a goddamn headache. Ideas? loving Ubuntu.

I tried to get someone's experimental build of Armbian Buster sorted recently. Got most but not all things working. Unfortunately some of those were things I needed. Strangely the most infutiating was trying, and failing to get it to install python wheels like the special TensorFlow build.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Would it be worth troubleshooting by running Windows 10 in a VM and trying to connect to your RDP boxes from there?

I sometimes connect to my two Windows 10 boxes from my gaming rig, which is running Windows on bare metal at the moment.

Although Remmina is great I do get a 'cleaner' display when logging in from a genuine RDP client on Windows. There's not much difference, apart from it being slightly slicker and the fonts being rendered a bit more satisfyingly.

Might be worth spinning up a temporary Windows 10 box as a client, for troubleshooting.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I tried installing the same package in regular old ubuntu LTS and it worked fine. Looks like the package dependencies are just broken for kde neon. I think I'll switch to plain old ubuntu LTS until i get a better handle on things.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
x2go should give equivalent performance to RDP. It's always been really easy to install for me, just X, a desktop environment, sshd, and the x2go server.

tjones
May 13, 2005
The telegram thing is due to running neon. Neon only cares about the KDE chain and can break on other Qt configurations.

See this:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=400004

I'd suggest using Ubuntu if you don't want to go the snap/pak route.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

tjones posted:

The telegram thing is due to running neon. Neon only cares about the KDE chain and can break on other Qt configurations.

See this:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=400004

I'd suggest using Ubuntu if you don't want to go the snap/pak route.

Thanks for the clarification, I was pretty confused about a qt package being broken.

I’ve switched to Ubuntu LTS, and I’m having a much easier time

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I want to thank this thread.

About 6ish months ago I made the switch to Linux Mint on my home laptop and I havent looked back. The performance and usability difference between my old laptop and my Windows 10 work laptop is night and day.

Everything just works. I can play the few steam games I want to, web browse, run a couple old applications in Wine perfectly. For anyone on the fence that is OK having to do a bit of tweaking to get things running initially I would highly recommend it.

Its also had the benefit of making me a bit more comfortable in the terminal on the few occasions at work I have to do something on a linux server.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Welcome to Linux. It only gets better as you casually (and with increasing intuitiveness) use the terminal more and more, in my experience.

There's no rush but, given enough time, you'll be using rsync to throw a bunch of files onto a different Linux box that you've set up in a cupboard to keep your important stuff on. Then you'll be writing little bash scripts and putting them in crontab to do that for you. Then you'll be doing the same on your home server to sync stuff to the cloud in case your material stuff breaks.

It's a really good life-skill to have some kind of fundamental understanding of the terminal if you're the sort of person that uses a PC on a daily basis. We use a mixture of Windows and Linux at work and I'm encouraged to learn more Windows. I know I should but for dependable home stuff I trust a well set up and maintained Linux server 100 times more than a Windows machine not to gently caress things up.

It's a learning curve and at times you'll probably find yourself swearing and shouting at your machine as you grasp how it works, but you'll be glad you did.

I'm no expert, btw. Sorry of this post sounds a bit pious.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Toalpaz posted:

I was introduced to linux by a friend and wanted something light for a laptop and it seemed like it would be fun hobby thing to do.

It was fun and interesting for a time but now I value things like hunspell on libre office not breaking and vera crypt not breaking and firefox plugins not breaking and not having periods where they were rolling out wayland on gnome to make it the default graphics thing, but half the applications on arch weren't wayland compatible so they didn't open and you had to look up the cause because gnome auto selected the wayland preset, or vlc breaking not breaking.

I really needed to type a thing in office tonight but veracrypt wasn't working and I updated hoping that it might be sorted out after the update, but it broke laptop instead.

To its credit, the arch-wiki is fairly good and if you read it carefully you'll be able to resolve most issues you'll have. Its just that the amount of times I've pacman -syu and one thing is incompatible and doesn't work anymore is a little obscene, and thus arch isn't right for me now.

I know this is late, but I installed Pop!_OS on my laptop (solely because it has an Nvidia GPU) and it's been spectacular. I don't have to gently caress around with Bumblebee since it's built in and easy to swap between GPUs in a readily exposed menu.

I've been running my Windows/macOS only software under VMware Workstation Player and it's just been a dream since literally every other piece of software in my workflow runs better under Linux. I think I'll be swapping to Fedora on my desktop next upgrade because it's just been great. Thanks for attending my TED Talk.

Fake edit: my loving printer/scanner has never worked right under Windows in the 4 years I've had it, and my laptop under Pop! was able to scan over the network out of the box. loving amazing.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I work on Linux Mint (It was pretty interesting requesting it, BE UR OWN IT, my IT guy has no idea what he is doing) and at home have Pop OS, if I didn't have a high end gaming windows 10, I would totally go linux. But there are still a few games/hardware issues that won't let me go fully linux. (I have a dual boot to test)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've run dual-boots since back when Mandrake was my distro of choice.

At this point the idea of having a desktop computer with only one operating system on it feels weird and wrong and makes me nervous.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

apropos man posted:

Welcome to Linux. It only gets better as you casually (and with increasing intuitiveness) use the terminal more and more, in my experience.

There's no rush but, given enough time, you'll be using rsync to throw a bunch of files onto a different Linux box that you've set up in a cupboard to keep your important stuff on. Then you'll be writing little bash scripts and putting them in crontab to do that for you. Then you'll be doing the same on your home server to sync stuff to the cloud in case your material stuff breaks.

It's a really good life-skill to have some kind of fundamental understanding of the terminal if you're the sort of person that uses a PC on a daily basis. We use a mixture of Windows and Linux at work and I'm encouraged to learn more Windows. I know I should but for dependable home stuff I trust a well set up and maintained Linux server 100 times more than a Windows machine not to gently caress things up.

It's a learning curve and at times you'll probably find yourself swearing and shouting at your machine as you grasp how it works, but you'll be glad you did.

I'm no expert, btw. Sorry of this post sounds a bit pious.

Nowadays Linux vs windows for server stuff is a tradeoff imo. If you need uptime, Linux is still superior, but windows server is solid and seems to be better at security, particularly in terms of ease of getting it hardened.

Axe-man posted:

I work on Linux Mint (It was pretty interesting requesting it, BE UR OWN IT, my IT guy has no idea what he is doing) and at home have Pop OS, if I didn't have a high end gaming windows 10, I would totally go linux. But there are still a few games/hardware issues that won't let me go fully linux. (I have a dual boot to test)

I can't use my oculus to play Skyrim or beat saber, I can't go full Linux.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to use a systemd user timer to update my dynamic IP hourly, but it doesn't seem to be running the command. Does this config look correct?

code:
[Unit]
Description=update dynamic dns

[Timer]
OnUnitActiveSec=1h
Persistent=true

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target
This looks right to me, but when I list my timers it shows it as never having been run and no next:

code:
$ systemctl --user list-timers 
NEXT LEFT LAST PASSED UNIT           ACTIVATES
n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a    ddclient.timer ddclient.service

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
"Persistent=true" is unneeded as that's only for calendar timers, not monolithic timers

OnUnitActiveSec "Defines a timer relative to when the unit the timer unit is activating was last activated. (from man pages)" Because your timer is never initially activated, it can never start counting down an hour for the "next" activation. Adding in something like OnBootSec=5min to the Timers portion will make it so that your service will run 5 minutes after boot, then every hour afterwards.

e. ex.
code:
[Unit]
Description=Run 'cerbot renew' 10m after boot, then twice daily.

[Timer]
OnBootSec=10min
OnUnitActiveSec=12h

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 24, 2019

numitor
Apr 25, 2008

My I please have that fish, sir?
Whatever you do, dont run CentOS, did this on my work labtop and I miss all the bells and whistles of the other distro's.

The idea at the time was, hey get used to Centos 7 to get ready for the switch from 6 to 7. Lets just say mistakes where made.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

apropos man posted:

Yeah. I like to do much of my management from my Fedora laptop. I don't know why display servers are so fucky at the moment.

I'm not too impressed with Fedora 30, so far though. I'm running it on a ThinkPad T570 and F27 to F29 ran absolutely fine on it. Been using Fedora since about F23 and F23-F29 were always great.

F30 started out being slow as hell. DNF started getting a bit sluggish toward the end of F29 and that hasn't changed. But F30 generally takes a lot longer to boot, my WiFi takes longer to connect (although I may have a DNS forwarding issue I need to sort out on my PiHole/pfSense) and it's just sluggish.

Firefox takes about 10 seconds to load on this laptop with 16GB RAM and a Samsung m.2 SSD. I installed Libreoffice last night because I was loving around with an old Brother label printer and CUPS on another machine and Libreoffice Writer is sluggish.

Is it only me that's not getting the love on the latest Fedora release? I've also got it installed on an HTPC in the bedroom and Firefox takes an age to load on that, too. It's desktop independent because I'm running GNOME on the HTPC and have tried both GNOME and KDE on this laptop. Something has definitely happened to performance from F29 to F30.

DNF is a little pokey for me, but anecdotally not nearly as bad as it was towards the end of 29. (It had gotten pretty bad for me -- to the point I started trying other distros again, and once again came crawling back.) I do now take care to install everything I can from Flatpak now, which might alleviate some of the DNF issues. Definitely don't have the Firefox slowdown, not in the stock Firefox or the unofficial Firefox Developer Edition flatpak. LibreOffice (Flatpak) seems normal, maybe even a little on the snappy side.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CentOS is a server oriented distro, I feel bad for anyone that needs to or has tried to run it (or anything RHEL based) on a workstation.

Unless you really enjoy the thrill of software constantly telling you to gently caress off because all your libraries are too old.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

The Milkman posted:

DNF is a little pokey for me, but anecdotally not nearly as bad as it was towards the end of 29. (It had gotten pretty bad for me -- to the point I started trying other distros again, and once again came crawling back.) I do now take care to install everything I can from Flatpak now, which might alleviate some of the DNF issues. Definitely don't have the Firefox slowdown, not in the stock Firefox or the unofficial Firefox Developer Edition flatpak. LibreOffice (Flatpak) seems normal, maybe even a little on the snappy side.

I didn't think about trying Firefox as a flatpak, although I have been using flatpaks more and more recently for installing stuff like Telegram Desktop. I really like the flatpak approach, as opposed to Ubuntu's snaps. Mind you, the only quibble I have with snaps is the fact that they create loads of extra partitions so that you have to add an alias for df else you get a barrage of information when you do a 'df -h'.

I got in from work tonight and it literally took about 12 to 15 seconds for Firefox to load when I clicked on the icon. It might be my extensions or something. I'll try it in a Flatpak when I get time and see if that fixes it.

DNF has been a bit quicker recently, so that's good news.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

xzzy posted:

CentOS is a server oriented distro, I feel bad for anyone that needs to or has tried to run it (or anything RHEL based) on a workstation.

Unless you really enjoy the thrill of software constantly telling you to gently caress off because all your libraries are too old.

I use the workstation version all the time. What are you people running that you cant get in EPEL or via flatpak or something like that?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

other people posted:

What are you people running ...

Software made this millennium.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Aren't RHEL, CentOS and Fedora only (edit: mostly) differentiated by their default repos? If you don't like using a CentOS workstation, can't you just add another repo that has the more recent packages that you want?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

xtal posted:

Aren't RHEL, CentOS and Fedora only (edit: mostly) differentiated by their default repos? If you don't like using a CentOS workstation, can't you just add another repo that has the more recent packages that you want?

No. The packages in whatever repo you are using (and that's valid for any distributions) must be compiled and packaged for that distro. RHEL is equal to CentOS mostly, but Fedora is extremely different. This is not like Mint vs Ubuntu, where Mint is actually Ubuntu with a new DE and a different wallpaper, therefore packages from Ubuntu repos (and sometimes even from Debian repos if you're careful) should just work. Fedora is its own beast.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Volguus posted:

No. The packages in whatever repo you are using (and that's valid for any distributions) must be compiled and packaged for that distro. RHEL is equal to CentOS mostly, but Fedora is extremely different. This is not like Mint vs Ubuntu, where Mint is actually Ubuntu with a new DE and a different wallpaper, therefore packages from Ubuntu repos (and sometimes even from Debian repos if you're careful) should just work. Fedora is its own beast.

Eh, Fedora and RHEL are very much the same but it is a different relationship that something like ubuntu/mint.

Fedora is effectively upstream for RHEL. For example, RHEL 8 was "forked" from F28. RHEL of course only has a subset of the packages in Fedora; typically EPEL makes up most of the difference. But pretty much any F28 rpm would install on RHEL 8 without any problems because they share the same standard library versions.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

apropos man posted:

I didn't think about trying Firefox as a flatpak, although I have been using flatpaks more and more recently for installing stuff like Telegram Desktop. I really like the flatpak approach, as opposed to Ubuntu's snaps. Mind you, the only quibble I have with snaps is the fact that they create loads of extra partitions so that you have to add an alias for df else you get a barrage of information when you do a 'df -h'.

I got in from work tonight and it literally took about 12 to 15 seconds for Firefox to load when I clicked on the icon. It might be my extensions or something. I'll try it in a Flatpak when I get time and see if that fixes it.

DNF has been a bit quicker recently, so that's good news.

https://firefox-flatpak.mojefedora.cz/

It's worth a shot I guess. I use this for Developer Edition because the only other way to install it on linux for some reason is via tarball and manually creating the .desktop entry. And then half the time I end up botching the profile for the regular version somehow. The flatpak Just Works.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Actuarial Fables posted:

"Persistent=true" is unneeded as that's only for calendar timers, not monolithic timers

OnUnitActiveSec "Defines a timer relative to when the unit the timer unit is activating was last activated. (from man pages)" Because your timer is never initially activated, it can never start counting down an hour for the "next" activation. Adding in something like OnBootSec=5min to the Timers portion will make it so that your service will run 5 minutes after boot, then every hour afterwards.

Thanks, this is exactly what my systemd timer problem needed

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

There is a bug in the kernel included with ubuntu 18.04 LTS that affects my hardware.

is it a bad idea to upgrade the kernel using Ukuu to address this? Will that break other stuff?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

other people posted:

I use the workstation version all the time. What are you people running that you cant get in EPEL or via flatpak or something like that?

R packages written the last 6 months that require an almost equally new R and support libraries was the big one for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

In my experience, you won’t have TOO terrible of a time until the next version of RHEL comes out. Like we got by fine on CentOS 6 until 7 was released. Then it got harder and harder to find third party software that still packaged for, or even built successfully at all, on it. As an example, just try running graphite > 0.9 on CentOS 6. Now that RHEL 8 is out, the pain should slowly start ramping up for running 7.

Thank god containers have freed us from a lot of this nonsense.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 25, 2019