Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah Quake 2 was a huge release and was as big as it got on PC at the time. PC gaming mags and sites were hyper focused on it, but PC was just dwarfed by consoles. Though FF7 is a weird bar to set since it was unusually aggressively advertised for the time and I can't think of a game as often on regular TV. I remember having to tell a lot of people that the game absolutely doesn't look like the ads, Cloud doesn't have hands when you walk around.

Final Fantasy VII isn't the bar. It's just one of the few games made at the time that was beyond the bar. That's the point, AAA was barely a thing at the time, which is why such terms basically didn't exist yet. And Quake II wasn't in that sort of range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There have already been discussions of AAAA games spurred on by Red Dead Redemption

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Barudak posted:

spurred on by Red Dead Redemption

Is that some kind of fuckin pun? You tryin to be funny in here?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah Quake 2 was a huge release and was as big as it got on PC at the time. PC gaming mags and sites were hyper focused on it, but PC was just dwarfed by consoles.
Quake 2 was a huge release with Activision's marketing muscle behind it and it was released not just on PC but also consoles, just not simultaneously. I'm sure if you add the marketing budget for all releases together you'll get something on par with any other large marketing budget game of the era.

(lol)

FuzzySlippers posted:

Though FF7 is a weird bar to set since it was unusually aggressively advertised for the time and I can't think of a game as often on regular TV. I remember having to tell a lot of people that the game absolutely doesn't look like the ads, Cloud doesn't have hands when you walk around.
FF7 is an outlier because it had a giant movie-level $100+ million US dollar marketing budget paid for in part by Sony to promote their disc-based Playstation console

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Can we call Carmageddon an honorary retro FPS even though it's a racing game with no guns simply because it has the exact same tone as all the build engine games of the time

Also Interstate 76 which I guess deserves it more

Please

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Songbearer posted:

Can we call Carmageddon an honorary retro FPS even though it's a racing game with no guns simply because it has the exact same tone as all the build engine games of the time

Also Interstate 76 which I guess deserves it more

Please
Depends on whether this means we can dupe someone into making Interstate 76 playable on modern machines without some unholy combination of fan-patches, virtual machines and goat entrails.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Don't argue with fishmech y'all, it's a pointless waste of time and salient points.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ItBreathes posted:

Don't argue with fishmech y'all, it's a pointless waste of time and salient points.

This but Zaphod

Elite Forces is kinda cool! I have no experience with Star Trek really but it's fun.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

The Kins posted:

Depends on whether this means we can dupe someone into making Interstate 76 playable on modern machines without some unholy combination of fan-patches, virtual machines and goat entrails.

Please do the needful. ( Lord how I miss I'76...)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Quarantine was a 90s car game that was basically an fps with a car hud as I recall.

I feel like I played a bunch of hovercraft fps games in the 90s that weren't full 3d like Descent but sorta half flying around / half strafing and firing. Zero names come to mind though.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
AAA games argument:

The rest of the thread:

Anyway that's Marathon 2 down. Kind of loses me once you get captured and the human Blake guy breaks you out. Also I remember the final battle feeling a lot more grand but ah well, overall a great experience. Think I'ma take a break before trying Infinity, I wanna save room for Ion Fury and Wolfenstein Youngblood so I don't get shooter'd out before their arrivals.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

star trek elite force was the first star trek thing i ever interacted with and i enjoyed it a lot despite not knowing anything about what was going on. i never played elite force 2 though, i should check it out sometime

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I wish the Elite Force games were on GOG since I dimly but fondly remember the first one and I'd like to replay them.

Sadly, Activision.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I am like nearly certain I had that issue of PC Gamer. Cursed cover

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I gotta ask. Were they as wrong about the "10 games that will die trying" as they were about daikatana and duke forever being good? :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Madden 99 reviews on PC is like some distant era, like Im looking at grecian ruins

Edit: since the issue is august 98 assuredly 1 of those 10 games is Half-Life and another one is Sin

Barudak fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 21, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The answer is probably obvious (it's hard) but I've always wondered why there aren't more co-operative immersive sims, System Shock 2 demonstrates it being a lot of fun even though it's a hackjob.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Gloomy Rube posted:

I gotta ask. Were they as wrong about the "10 games that will die trying" as they were about daikatana and duke forever being good? :v:

yeah can someone find a scan of this or something so we can find out?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

juggalo baby coffin posted:

yeah can someone find a scan of this or something so we can find out?

The whole thing is online and oh my god you guys its amazing. The list is

Duke Nukem 4 Ever
Daikatana
Half-Life
Sin
Prey
Trespasser
Prax War
Amen: Awakening
Max Payne
Wheel of Time
Shogo
Heretic 2
Aliens Versus Predayor
X-Com Alliance
Klingon Honor Guard
Requiem

They then scored them based on how they thought theyd compare to quake 2 with only Duke, Prey, Daikatana, Half-Life 2, and Sin actually pegged as being predicted to be better than Quake 2 which begs the question of why the gently caress is Klingon Honor Guard on the cover??!

Barudak fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 21, 2019

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gloomy Rube posted:

It looks like the issue's on Archive.org, so let's see...

THE GENUINE KILLERS:

Prey
What They Say: "...given 3D Realms' proven track record, we feel strongly that Prey is likely to be the best 3D shooter released in 1999 - that is, if the game is actually finished in 1999."
What Happened: In the words of Ron Howard, "It wasn't."

Half-Life
What They Say: "A first person shooter with brains and brawn, Half-Life has the entire development and gaming community waiting for a chance to play it. Team Fortress multiplayer is crucial for Half-Life's life, it's just too bad it doesn't come with the game."
What Happened: It did pretty well, yeah. It wasn't exactly Team Fortress that justified HL1's multiplayer, though...

SIN:
What They Say: "Good creative level designers (including the self-styled Levelord) should push the Quake II engine to its limits. It's also likely to be the first game out."
What Happened: It came out in a fairly buggy state, just in time to get trampled by the Half-Life colossus.

Daikatana
What They Say: "Daikatana's levels and monsters look incredible, but we're still waiting to see if Romero and Ion Storm can pull off the sidekick AI as promised. It's likely this feature won't make it."
What Happened: Sadly, they couldn't, but they also didn't cut it. Alas.
Wait, What Else Is Here?: "Despite using the Quake II engine for this game, Ion Storm's out-of-house development of Daikatana 2 has turned to Unreal because "You can make your game bigger, prettier and cheaper than any other engine available at this time.""
...huh.: Yeah, I know, right?

Duke Nukem Forever
What They Say: "George Broussard has been quick to answer questions about [the engine change from Quake 2 to Unreal], most importantly over the delay it will cause. The answer "four to six weeks" is surprising."
What Happened: :allears:

...AND THE REST:

Max Payne
What They Say: "Everything we've seen on Max Payne is mighty impressive, but there still hasn't been a decent third-person multiplayer game. Could this be the first?"
What Happened: No. Multiplayer was ultimately cut from the game, and didn't emerge until Rockstar's Max Payne 3.

Wheel of Time
What They Say: "To be fair, Wheel of Time is a much different beast than Quake II and should be a great game in its own right."
What Happened: A bumpy development and a commercial flop, but it seems to have a bit of a cult fanbase.

Trespasser
What They Say: "There isn't going to be a multiplayer version. Nuff said!"
What Happened: The lack of multiplayer was kind of the least of that game's woes...

Amen: The Awakening
What They Say: "It's an impressive first foray into the first-person shooter genre by Cavedog, but the company has a bunch to prove against some wicked competition."
What Happened: Cancelled in early 2000 for various reasons, Cavedug shut its doors soon after.

Prax War
What They Say: "We just haven't seen enough on this game to get a fair reading. We are excited about the prospects, but cautious of bestowing too much praise."
What Happened: Cancelled by EA in 1999. Lead designer Randy Pitchford went onto other things, for better or worse...

Shogo: Mobile Armor Division
What They Say: "As far as we know, mechs don't bleed, and anime is just plain weird."
What Happened: Released, but underperformed, resulting in the cancellation of an expansion pack.

Heretic II
What They Say: "The game plays more like Nightmare Creatures, taking away the ability to precisely aim weapons and spells."
What Happened: Released and thoroughly flopped. You probably didn't even know it existed before that Civvie video.

X-COM Alliance
What They Say: "It'll be different, but is that good? We worry the action could be secondary to the strategy. MicroProse still needs to prove itself in this category."
What Happened: Descended into a vaporware hell, before ultimately being officially cancelled in 2002. Pieces were recycled for 2001's X-COM: Enforcer.

Requiem
What They Say: "Brilliant ideas, solid engine, but can it stand up to the big boys?"
What Happened: Released to varying reviews and a lack of commercial success.

Star Trek: Klingon Honor Guard
What They Say: "The limits of the Star Trek license and the problems with Unreal multiplayer code could be a problem."
What Happened: It's hard to remember that Unreal had utter poo poo netcode on initial release... Anyway, it released to mixed reviews.

Alien vs. Predator:
What They Say: "The graphics aren't up to par, and we've already seen this game on the Jaguar. Besides, the game is waaaay late."
What Happened: Critically acclaimed and did quite well indeed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The ads in this magazine are amazing.

A) Remember Revenant? Remember how FFVII on PC was a huge loving deal that demanded a new graphics card?

B) Quake 2 was so huge Requiem bought a two page ad spread that says "Every time someone dies in Quake 2 their soul ends up here"

C) it has the "Had a bad day? Take it out on Canada" ad. Yessssssss

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Can confirm the Wheel of Time fps is thoroughly cool. There's no first person weapon or hand models though, which feels kind of weird in an FPS.

AES SEDAI WITCH!

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

You know, I’ve tried to play Marathon Infinity so many times but the first loving level is so goddamn mazelike that it has literally ended at least 4-5 attempts. I’ve beaten Marathon 1 and 2, but never made it past the first goddamn level in Infinity. Maybe I have some sort of brain problem or something.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Was the Mech2 engine source ever released? That game had such a weird dev history and the engine such reuse I’m surprised I’ve never come across it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pathos posted:

You know, I’ve tried to play Marathon Infinity so many times but the first loving level is so goddamn mazelike that it has literally ended at least 4-5 attempts. I’ve beaten Marathon 1 and 2, but never made it past the first goddamn level in Infinity. Maybe I have some sort of brain problem or something.

Ne Cede Malis is definitely harder to navigate than Arrival/Waterloo Waterpark. In general Infinity's maps are bigger and more 5D than those in the other games, but Ne Cede Malis is a pretty tricky level anyway with its tight mazes of little corridors, critical path through sewage tanks, etc. You could just skip to Rise Robot Rise (cmd+alt+click on begin new game button) since you don't keep your weapons from the first level anyway, and it's not like you'll miss a whole lot in the plot.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pathos posted:

Nah, it's a confusing and not very fun level. The rest of the game is good though. Just remember if you use the level select you're taking the VidMaster's Oath.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Barudak posted:

The ads in this magazine are amazing.

A) Remember Revenant? Remember how FFVII on PC was a huge loving deal that demanded a new graphics card?

god yes. the only game ever* to absolutely require 8-bit palettized texture support, which coincidentally was the one feature the brand new riva tnt didn't have. the tnt was popular enough for them to patch the game to work on it but it was still a pain

* that i knew about and wanted to play on a riva tnt, anyway

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

I wish the Elite Force games were on GOG since I dimly but fondly remember the first one and I'd like to replay them.

Sadly, Activision.

Might also be in part due to the massive legal dustup between Activision and Viacom, wherein Activision felt Viacom was ruining Star Trek, in as much as the IP had gone from multiple series down to one and the movies weren't doing well (for context, this was after Nemesis was a massive failure). I'd imagine this makes the rights issues around any Activision Star Trek games a bit of a legal snarl.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SCheeseman posted:

The answer is probably obvious (it's hard) but I've always wondered why there aren't more co-operative immersive sims, System Shock 2 demonstrates it being a lot of fun even though it's a hackjob.

I would kill for some good co-op FPSRPGs. But most FPSRPGs tend to have either a big open world or lots of AI systems and routines or both, and it makes sense that taking that multiplayer is a bit of a headache.

Still. Like, Assassin's Creed Unity had co-op, but it was only so-so. Odyssey is so good, but no co-op. Although its not FPS, its a huge open world rpg.

Skyrim is single player, mods to try to make it multi are a mess, and look how Fallout 76 turned out, lmao.

Bloodlines 2 is single player, but isn't Cyberpunk 2077 supposed to have some kind of multiplayer mode? I think I heard that, that'd be killer.

I wish there were more co-op games period. I had so much fun back in the day playing through Doom, Quake 1, and Half-Life with Sven Co-op. The Halo series is the last major FPS I can remember playing co-op with a friend.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dying Light's got co-op. And there's always EDF.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

EDF, Payday, Sniper Elite (4's co-op is some of the most fun I've had in a game period), Borderlands (I hate these games solo, love them co-op), Vermintide, Deep Rock Galactic. But I get that only a few of those games are campaign-focused and that kind of sucks, probably because there haven't been a ton of shooters period since the CoD fad died down. I think Far Cry 5 was the only big-budget shooter besides BlOps and BF:V to be released in 2018, and those games had no campaign and a garbage one, respectively.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Couldn't Strife be played in multiplayer?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Timesplitters

Perfect dark

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I was gonna say Sniper Elite, Far Cry 4 and 5, and Watchdogs 2. Maybe not true immersive sims but certainly adjacent.

My double-edged wish is for more asymmetrical co-op games. There's a handful out there, but really the problem is I usually don't have anyone to play them with anyway. :(

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Timesplitters

Perfect dark

Timesplitters 2 had such a good multiplayer suite...to this day I still wish Free Radical hadn't been sacrificed on the altar of lovely PS3 exclusives like Factor 5 was.

quote:

My double-edged wish is for more asymmetrical co-op games.

Speaking of Perfect Dark, more games need a counter-operative style mode.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Plan Z posted:

EDF, Payday, Sniper Elite (4's co-op is some of the most fun I've had in a game period), Borderlands (I hate these games solo, love them co-op), Vermintide, Deep Rock Galactic. But I get that only a few of those games are campaign-focused and that kind of sucks, probably because there haven't been a ton of shooters period since the CoD fad died down. I think Far Cry 5 was the only big-budget shooter besides BlOps and BF:V to be released in 2018, and those games had no campaign and a garbage one, respectively.

I love EDF and Payday and Vermintide, but yeah... not really the same experience. More Arcadey and less story driven.

Borderlands I played a lot of but the FPS side is just so lovely.

site posted:

Timesplitters

Is my jam, and I would love to get a new one. Have been watching that fan project for awhile. Also harder to play as its not on PC :( Emulation is only so-so for multiplayer.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Did anyone ever make a replacement for Brutal Doom for those of us who just enjoy a lot of blood and violence, or did that loving weirdo crackpot nazi-something creator salt the fields, so to say?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Arivia posted:

Couldn't Strife be played in multiplayer?

Yeah, but multiplayer in Strife was intended only for deathmatch. IIRC the campaign isn't completable in multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Black Griffon posted:

Did anyone ever make a replacement for Brutal Doom for those of us who just enjoy a lot of blood and violence, or did that loving weirdo crackpot nazi-something creator salt the fields, so to say?

Project Brutality is basically what you're looking for.