Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

But you can't discount consoles. You'd be missing out on all those fantastic console games from this generation such as

<Begins rattling off Sony and Nintendo's first party output and I guess Panzer Dragoon Orta for Microsoft>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dewgy posted:

bloodborne motherfucker

I kid, I kid.

It just seems there's way less reason to own a console for this latest generation. It's just seems like an off period. :shrug:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I'm really enjoying Detroit: Become Human, I really dig transhumanism based media and it's scratching the itch finishing Lain has left me with for a few years

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I kid, I kid.

It just seems there's way less reason to own a console for this latest generation. It's just seems like an off period. :shrug:

What? Ps4 has a bunch of good exclusives.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

What? Ps4 has a bunch of good exclusives.

If you're not understanding why the gently caress you'd bother looking down your nose at how other people choose to spend their dollars and free time, I'm just not sure you "get" pc gaming.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

i would like to play cadence of hyrule eventually

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

I'm really enjoying Detroit: Become Human, I really dig transhumanism based media and it's scratching the itch finishing Lain has left me with for a few years

i think i'm a third of a way through or something and its way cooler and more fun than I expected. I love playing the android cop.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bloodborne is like the only reason to own a PS4, so that you can play it in its native 30fps.

There is no reason to own an xbone. I would buy a switch if I was a wealthy man but it doesn't seem worth it as it is.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Console players have Stockholm syndrome or some poo poo

just LOL at paying an extra fee for multiplayer and being happy about it

paying a fee for a lovely lobby system and matchmaking service. actual matches are of course hosted on your own machine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We went over this, Panzer Dragoon Orta in 1080p is a Bone exclusive!!!

Also i dont think rare replay has a PC port but I think Viva Pinata 2 is on PC and thats the only game in the collection you need

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

is pepsi ok posted:

Whenever console players try to criticize PC gaming they either exaggerate the hell out of how much money you have to spend or they say something that reveals that they haven't actually paid any attention to PC gaming in like 20 years.

"Look, I'm a busy man, I don't have time to configure the IRQ port on my SoundBlaster and download the latest Voodoo extreme drivers every time I want to play a game!"

if anything I find using a PC more streamlined than a console. video game consoles universally have really poo poo user interfaces full of advertising and bloat. file management of a console is also a pain in the rear end.

it's like the difference between putting music on your apple phone vs android phone. With android you just open a folder and drop in the files. with the iPhone you have to navigate a dozen byzintine itunes submenus and dodge all the ads. It's garbage, just like consoles.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

console gamers love laughing while playing games, pcgamers hate it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

is pepsi ok posted:

Whenever console players try to criticize PC gaming they either exaggerate the hell out of how much money you have to spend or they say something that reveals that they haven't actually paid any attention to PC gaming in like 20 years.

"Look, I'm a busy man, I don't have time to configure the IRQ port on my SoundBlaster and download the latest Voodoo extreme drivers every time I want to play a game!"

This is kind of funny considering that what you are describing is almost always in response to PC people being completely loving insufferable about consoles for no reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rutibex posted:

if anything I find using a PC more streamlined than a console. video game consoles universally have really poo poo user interfaces full of advertising and bloat. file management of a console is also a pain in the rear end.

it's like the difference between putting music on your apple phone vs android phone. With android you just open a folder and drop in the files. with the iPhone you have to navigate a dozen byzintine itunes submenus and dodge all the ads. It's garbage, just like consoles.

The Xbox 360 originally got its hooks in with the first actual usable online multiplayer and distribution service for games and by end of life it was near-unusable from bloat and covered with ads.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Judging by all these posts it seems console people are stupid little babies and pc people are stupid little babies

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

lmao at being able to buy an RTX card solely for Metro Exodus but having a mental block from buying a cheaper console for one game. is it space constraints? just put it next to the PC and switch HDMI cables as needed

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

My GPU cost $250 and it plays almost anything on the highest settings

I don't care if someone wants to play a console, the paying for multiplayer thing has just always been amusing because we're so obviously being bilked for something that was always free until one day Microsoft decided that it shouldn't be anymore but somehow this gets portrayed as a positive thing because gamers love petty tribal conflicts, when in reality people should have always been up in arms over how lovely it is to pay for multiplayer

I mean it's lovely yes, but it's marketed now as a value for people who are exclusively console gaming. PS does two free games a month, which are usually good.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Barudak posted:

it looks better with the xbox analog fuzz

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it made more sense to complain about 10 years ago when MS was charging solely to play online. At least now there is some expectation that if you are going to pay a console manufacturer a yearly fee that it better come with a bunch of free poo poo and bonus stuff. Yeah it's dumb that you have to pay to play online and it's kind of an underhanded way to try and guarantee that people subscribe, but it also seems pretty inoffensive to just drop $40 a year to get a bunch of free games and discounts.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I own a grand gaming pc, a very capable laptop, a ps4, a switch and games are probably my side bitch next to warhammer. All or nothing lads.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I had Nintendo consoles as a kid but loved a chance to play a Sega. I really think the console wars are massively overstated. And probably ginned up by marketing departments and games 'journalism' (but I repeat myself) to sell poo poo.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I own a grand gaming pc, a very capable laptop, a ps4, a switch and games are probably my side bitch next to warhammer. All or nothing lads.

instead of all that junk you should have bought a 3D printer for your warhams

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I have an RTX 2080 gaming setup but honestly most of my favorite games for a while have been exclusives on PS4/Switch. I also really like PS plus, it is good.

That being said 4K 60fps HDR pc games are jaw dropping when the right game presents itself. I just find myself liking console exclusives more often, though if I could play those games on PC I would.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
i'm still using a gtx 1070 or something, can't even remember what it's called but it plays all games on highest settings. Honestly, high end videocards have seemed completely worthless in the last few years since they don't design games with those in mind anymore...

They're pointless. Unless you want to ramp up the resolution higher and higher and higher constantly but I stop seeing a difference at a certain point

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
the only thing the newest cards will do is ray tracing but none of the games are being written for ray tracing including games that bragged about how good their game was gonna look like with ray tracing

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

It's probably one of the best looking games graphics-wise of this generation.

The last 1/3 of the game isn't so great though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

“gaming laptops” are obviously a scam but it drives me nuts that it’s basically impossible to buy a laptop with a decent graphics card without a bunch of sharp angles, unnecessary lights, and a battery that lasts thirty minutes on a full charge

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
software renderers should make a comeback. gimme that grain

olives black fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 21, 2019

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm glad there are so many different games and ways to play games that theres something that suits everyone!! Personally I prefer to chill on my sofa with my ps4 but I appreciate that might not suit everyones tastes!

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I am emotionally invested in whichever game box someone puchases.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

fridge corn posted:

I'm glad there are so many different games and ways to play games that theres something that suits everyone!! Personally I prefer to chill on my sofa with my ps4 but I appreciate that might not suit everyones tastes!

it's called a couch motherfucker

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Barudak posted:

Also i dont think rare replay has a PC port but I think Viva Pinata 2 is on PC and thats the only game in the collection you need

Viva Piñata 2 isn't on PC and I'm tilted about it!

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Barudak posted:

Xbox emu on the pc has been making some decent progress but I've been tempted in picking up a used bone to use it as a 4k br player and for some old Xbox games. Though some people have said the bone sucks as a player supposedly?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I had Nintendo consoles as a kid but loved a chance to play a Sega. I really think the console wars are massively overstated. And probably ginned up by marketing departments and games 'journalism' (but I repeat myself) to sell poo poo.

Did anyone else get this weird feeling that despite having a superior console and knowing it, you'd relish the chance to play on your friends' "worse" ones? Like, I had a SNES but got more excited to play on my buddy's NES sometimes.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

hawowanlawow posted:

it's called a couch motherfucker

Mods!!!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Plan Z posted:

Did anyone else get this weird feeling that despite having a superior console and knowing it, you'd relish the chance to play on your friends' "worse" ones? Like, I had a SNES but got more excited to play on my buddy's NES sometimes.

The older consoles had more of a reason to have a console war TBH so this makes perfect sense. Nowadays the biggest thing you can beef over is either exclusives or minor texture and framerate differences, back then different consoles had entirely different sound, graphics, and even coding architecture from each other.

I knew all of one person with a TG16 and I was mad jealous, even having both a SNES and Genesis.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

ChazTurbo posted:

Xbox emu on the pc has been making some decent progress but I've been tempted in picking up a used bone to use it as a 4k br player and for some old Xbox games. Though some people have said the bone sucks as a player supposedly?

The PS4 sucks a lot, too.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

olives black posted:

The PS4 sucks a lot, too.

I thought the 4 couldn't read 4k blu rays?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

ChazTurbo posted:

I thought the 4 couldn't read 4k blu rays?

Idk about 4ks specifically, but fast-forwarding and rewinding is a real pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
bone also doesn't support dolby vision on 4k blu ray which is kind of lame.