Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

nrook posted:

Tanya the Evil comes to mind immediately when talking about isekai series that aren't in a medieval fantasy land, too. The titular Tanya joins the military in a WW1-with-magic setting and fights for the Germans.

I bounced off it but it's pretty popular. No Nazis too, so don't worry about that.

It's amusing how a bunch of dumbasses got turned off the series when they learned that the author is an avowed communist and that Tanya is meant to be a comedic example rather than a serious role model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, it's great

Good old War Crimes Isekai (Though since none of the countries involved were Geneva Convention signatories, it's more general shady tactics than actual war crime)

Though her attitude comes across much more clearly in the battle that follows.

"I shouldn't use my power too much, or I'll end up standing out..."
*Knight she knows gets injured*
*heads start exploding*

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

sunken fleet posted:

Your post got me thinking and... man, it's weird but a lot of isekai play the "Low Level Monsters are Always Chaotic Evil" trope completely straight. It seems especially strange to me since so many isekai try sooo hard to stand out by "subverting" various fantasy tropes (and of course the unending litany of weird protagonists... a sword, a vending machine, a spider, a dog, a vampire, a dragon, a demon, a blah blah blah you get the idea). They bend over backward and twist and contort themselves to make themselves "different" in the strangest ways but seem perfectly content to all make use of the same bog standard fantasy templates that people have considered old and tired since the like 80s.

Helck and Slime are the two that come to mind both for similar reasons in that monstersbhave no problems getting along with humanity and have their own ways of life.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm so disappointed that another season of grimgar will never come, and as far as I can tell there's very little else out there like it. I imagine it's pretty well resolved by the point the anime ends at, but I also really appreciated that their driving goal wasn't a desire for adventure or a need to kill the evil demon king or whatever, but just plain the fact that they're living in poverty and if they don't go out on this goblin-slaughter expedition and it doesn't go well, they are going to just flat out starve, or won't be able to replace their hole-riddled clothes, and when an expedition does go well their big celebration is "we finally bought our tank a helmet." I enjoy seeing a struggle for survival that isn't, like, some kind of stranded in the wilderness scenario, but just plain living in civilization as poor people.

The characters in general I wasn't super crazy about, their personalities were generally a handful of basic archetypes, but the larger theme of the story being how they reacted to and dealt with trauma and loss was pretty compelling. I dunno if I find Mary by herself an interesting or unique personality but the scenes where she's coming to terms with her previous adventuring party getting horribly slaughtered because of their hubris and how abruptly her budding crush on one of them got forcibly ended was excellent.

It starts to tie into some sort of greater plot later (like the 5th LN the party gets roped into some effort by the top dude to deal with some greater threat). The characters are alright; the protagonist, Shihoru, and Merry are probably the least stereotypical (Shihoru might sound strange there, but she's actually fairly unusual in terms of being a shy character who isn't super nice/kind and definitely doesn't have any romantic interest in the protagonist).

One interesting thing is that it's revealed later (I think LN3 or 4 spoilers, believe it's beyond the anime's content) that basically the only reason the protagonist's party managed to survive as long as they did is because they had Moguzo, who was actually very talented and ended up carrying the party in a similar way to Manato earlier (and with the same result in the end).

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Come to think of it, has there ever been an isekai where the protagonist introduces the steam engine? That's one thing that really would change the world and isn't as complicated as you'd think, but they're always messing with gunpowder or curry or double entry accounting.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I think Log Horizon does, but it's to a world with flying mounts and the like, so it's more of a convenience than world-changing.

Also Dr. Stone, though that's "humanity turned to stone for 3000 years" rather than an isekai.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Release That Witch blows through the industrial revolution and was already at simpler WW1 tech when I stopped reading, and that wasn't even the halfway point I think.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Three chapters in, and https://mangadex.org/title/38472/tenkuu-no-shiro-o-moratta-no-de-isekai-de-tanoshiku-asobitai
A guy reincarnated at the master of a flying castle knows the correct way to handle slavers.

Well, almost.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sindai posted:

Release That Witch blows through the industrial revolution and was already at simpler WW1 tech when I stopped reading, and that wasn't even the halfway point I think.

before it got abruptly canned they were at nuclear bombs(albeit a really rough one that barely works, but even that is devastating)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elfface posted:

Three chapters in, and https://mangadex.org/title/38472/tenkuu-no-shiro-o-moratta-no-de-isekai-de-tanoshiku-asobitai
A guy reincarnated at the master of a flying castle knows the correct way to handle slavers.

Well, almost.

Dammit what a coward! The only reason for not killing slavers is so you can find out where more of the slave owners are and then wipe them out too!

At this rate, I'm never going to get my reverse isekai of the hero getting back to Earth and becoming a planet-wide tyrant wiping out the prison industrial complex and wage slavery!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm assuming there are no isekai like the game Recettear where someone just runs a general goods store and has fun encounters with the local weirdos who just need a specific type of serving dish.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

pentyne posted:

I'm assuming there are no isekai like the game Recettear where someone just runs a general goods store and has fun encounters with the local weirdos who just need a specific type of serving dish.
But of course there is https://mangadex.org/title/22843/saving-80-000-gold-coins-in-the-different-world-for-my-old-age

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Bakanogami posted:

Come to think of it, has there ever been an isekai where the protagonist introduces the steam engine? That's one thing that really would change the world and isn't as complicated as you'd think, but they're always messing with gunpowder or curry or double entry accounting.

Shinju no Nectar has the protagonist invent the internal combustion engine when everyone had nothing more than the steam engines. And it has very smart and driven antagonists who very quickly work out the principles of the protaganist's inventions so to make imitations and countermeasures.

And it also has huge fat tiddies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
okay, I've been down lately so I've been binging Moon-Led Journey's WN and I really like how it's getting more and more that(currently up to chapter 131~ of the WN) Makoto is basically a walking, talking reusable nuke and everyone else is starting to realize that and treat his very existence as an overpowered MC in an isekai as a threat. Tomoe has become his chief strategist with some poo poo she's hiding behind the scenes from him with Root I think, and Mio is becoming more and more of a psychopath, going from simply overly devoted to Makoto to straight up yandere axe murderer to anyone she perceives to have slighted him. I'm really curious where this goes, he's become a teacher and his students are obviously overpowered due to the different training methods he employs and such, and nobles are conspiring against them to get revenge against him. The story is meandering a bit but the cast has gotten pretty sizeable so far and the more fleshed out characters in his class are pretty fun in their own right. Really the only thing I'm hoping for at my current point in it is Tomoe's hiding of various memories from Makoto and such, like Rembrandt's history, comes back to bite her in the rear end hard. She's probably my favorite character in the series so far but I really hope that whole thing and other stuff she seems to be doing in parallel to him bubble back up to the surface at some point.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bakanogami posted:

the heroine of Offense and Defense in Daites has trains developed

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Phobophilia posted:

Shinju no Nectar has the protagonist invent the internal combustion engine when everyone had nothing more than the steam engines. And it has very smart and driven antagonists who very quickly work out the principles of the protaganist's inventions so to make imitations and countermeasures.

And it also has huge fat tiddies.

It also has a pretty interesting setting that isn't just "generic fantasy world with game-like systems." Like, it starts out in something like a colonial India being ruled by imperialist elves with guns.

Also also tiddies.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!

Clarste posted:

It also has a pretty interesting setting that isn't just "generic fantasy world with game-like systems." Like, it starts out in something like a colonial India being ruled by imperialist elves with guns.

Also also tiddies.

Another thing I liked about this series is the protagonist eventually finds someone else who was isekai'd, but that person is from WW2 era America instead of modern day Japan, and the protag realizes pretty quick that the other guy's knowledge is a lot more useful since most of the protag's modern day knowledge relies on using tools/materials that were invented in between the modern day and the industrial revolution era that the new world is in. Also the isekai protagonist has a special power, but still can get shutdown hard by other people/powers.

But yeah, also lots of tiddies, hard to get around that one with this series. I mean, it's literally a plot point.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Re: goblins

The Wandering Inn is an isekai type that I'd recommend. It has a PoV goblin character, and it doesn't shy away from humanizing and otherwise showing what goblin life is like in a swords & sorcery world. Also one of the series' overarching mysteries is trying to figure out What the Terrible gently caress kind of atrocity happened to the goblins in the distant past.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

That was ridiculous in a good way. Money is the best superpower.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Revdomezehis posted:

Another thing I liked about this series is the protagonist eventually finds someone else who was isekai'd, but that person is from WW2 era America instead of modern day Japan, and the protag realizes pretty quick that the other guy's knowledge is a lot more useful since most of the protag's modern day knowledge relies on using tools/materials that were invented in between the modern day and the industrial revolution era that the new world is in. Also the isekai protagonist has a special power, but still can get shutdown hard by other people/powers.

But yeah, also lots of tiddies, hard to get around that one with this series. I mean, it's literally a plot point.

The ramifications of fantasy world being able to continually summon people from Earth across time and space, and how that causes technology to jump forward as well as giving people a laser pistol off some poor sod who is most likely dead now . This is by far one of the better isekai running right now because this isekai managed to actually build an interesting world with an overarching conflict that has some weight to it and doesn't just build itself around a self insert character playing mine craft or Sim city. Even with literal godlike powers the main character is reigned in spectacularly and given some legitimate obstacles so it's not annoying like so many modern fares.

I was skeptical about this one because I think Qwaser was a huge waste of a premise drowning in cheap fanservice. But once I read the first couple chapters I was hooked. But yeah, expect dome ample bosoms in this one. The plot demands it. not that I mind. The fanservice is shockingly restrained compared to its predecessor

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't mind titties, but the magical breast feeding is too weird for me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Extremely fair response.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:stare:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
:daryl:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
tbh I am glad someone finally clarified what "plot relevant big tiddy" meant

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh I thought that was referring to Seikon no Qwaser

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Well, it does have Nectar in the title. I should have known.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

Oh I thought that was referring to Seikon no Qwaser

Same author. One might almost think he had a bit of a fetish.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Yeah, I hear he brought back the real main character from Qwaser, the lesbian dominatrix with a huge harem of girls she calls mommy. The isekai version is a dead ringer in looks and attitude but I didn’t hear how her harem plan was going.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't mind titties, but the magical breast feeding is too weird for me.

It's a shame because I like the general idea of the setting (and the relatively limited nature of the protagonist's powers), but the fetish stuff is a bit much.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
What is it with good worldbuilding and sudden titty? First Dead Mount Death Play, now this...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dead mount death play was never shy about its love for giant knockers.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Space Flower posted:

Yeah, I hear he brought back the real main character from Qwaser, the lesbian dominatrix with a huge harem of girls she calls mommy. The isekai version is a dead ringer in looks and attitude but I didn’t hear how her harem plan was going.

The copper user? She's in the series but she's the leader of a clan of assassins in the fantasy analogue of japan. Closest she has to a harem is a group of priestess that show up for a chapter but it's not a BDSM club they just look out for her.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Like a fool, I've jumped down the rabbit hole of Korean shoujo isekais and stumbled upon this nice subgenre of "fake fiances" where two people have to pretend to be lovers for pragmatic reasons, but because they're all nobles in vague feudal times it's a whole formal engagement and all the social and political repercussions of that. I can only assume this has been a shoujo staple for decades but whatever.

This Girl is a Little Wild

Not technically an isekai, but one in spirit. The hero (a woman who's been disguised as a man for most of her life) has finally cornered the demon king, but as a last desperate attack the demon king uses the remainder of his power to switch the hero's soul with another one in his possession. So the hero ends up in the body of a frail noble girl whose callous and ambitious father sold his firstborn's soul to the devil, while the hero's body is possessed by the girl and promptly gets killed offscreen(?). And now with no demon king to kill and no body to get back to, the hero has to navigate the treacherous life of an unwanted noblewoman whose wicked stepmother wants her out of the picture by any means necessary to secure the inheritance.

And she ends up getting fake engaged with someone for protection. Of course. Basically a comedy about her attempting to destroy all social conventions to get what she wants.

The Reason Why Raeliana Ended up at the Duke's Mansion

This one's being officially translated, but you have to pay for it (which I did). Basically some Korean girl dies and reincarnates into the world of a fantasy novel she's read, except it's a mystery novel and she's now the first murder victim, whose husband poisoned her with arsenic to inherit her family's fortune. Luckily, she's far enough back in time to where they're still just engaged, but even when she tries to break it off he won't take no for an answer. So feeling desperate, she uses her knowledge of a future plot twist to blackmail a duke (the novel's love interest for the detective main character) for his protection, but to do so and also for the Duke's own reasons that he won't tell her, she has to be his fiancee for 6 months. Hilarity ensues.

Adelaide

Also costs money. A Korean fashion designer in her 20s dies and reincarnates as a minor noble in a fantasy world (from a baby, not like suddenly jumping into a preexisting person's life). She has no useful skills or knowledge, admitting that she can't even sew a dress properly without a sewing machine, so she just fully embraces her new family and new life. However, as much as she enjoys being the spoiled youngest daughter of an unimportant noble family, she doesn't really have anything to look forward to in life other than getting married off. So when she hears about a mysterious black haired girl from another world suddenly appearing in the capital, she has to go take a look, if only to get some entertainment. And one thing leads to another and suddenly she's scheming with a duke to be fake engaged. While everyone thinks she's amazingly sharp and gutsy, she really can't tell anyone that she's only doing this because she's incredibly bored and wants to see a real life soap opera from up close.

It's good.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 21, 2019

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/atxnolasco/status/1059862302479081473

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Why is it that so many Japanese manga focus so heavily on food? Is it a cultural thing? A mandate from editors? Are the artists starved?