Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

You need an account to read thread there now.

This was his initial protest post.

Gareth Michael-Skarka posted:

Well, well, well.

Quelle surprise.

Imagine my surprise to see the announcement at the top of the boards, welcoming our newest member, Gareth Michael Skarka.

Just remember, kids: No hyphen, not me.

To dickless: Look, we all know that you really wish you were me, but you don't have to prove it.

To the Powers That Be: Care to delete that account, please? Last thing I need is some jackass spoofing me.

It's mostly pointing and laughing at him, because even by 2002 he'd earned his rep. Very different forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
GMS was also one of the loudest and most visible defenders of the Alleged Chik-Fil-A Pants Shitter. It wasn’t until a year or two ago when he finally came around on that front.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ok, so I'm doing the thing, and I already have regrets:
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Thread of the Last Home: Let's Read Dragonlance

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Godspeed you crazy bastard.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

NLJP posted:

I'm very much A Casual when it comes to all things TG but is there a summary somewhere for far west and what happened? I also think cowboy western wuxia sounds rad but also like reading about things that sound like disasters.

Edit: I hope the author isn't just bullshitting about mental health issues to garner sympathy for all the problems with the project and that they get better.

Well, there is also this which I did back (I am not that much of an idiot to trust anything Gary has to offer) and was completed and shipped.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brokenrulergames/high-plains-samurai

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Desiden posted:

Understanding the continued hilarity of Far West is also helped by understanding the context outside of GMS's kickstarter-specific faceplants.

Skarka also had a huge reputation as an aggressive internet primadonna long before the Far West shitshow got rolling. For a long time, his online schtick was pretty openly aping that of Harlan Ellison, whose antics he often gushed about. The problem being that he had neither the critical nor commercial success of someone like Ellison, and he was doing this right as the consumers he liked to dunk on were becoming aware of how terrible of a gig RPG writing was. But he still tried to get everyone to treat him as a celebrity, and sparked flamewars for any stupid poo poo you can think of wherever he went. Before he was banned there, he had multiple flameouts on RPG.net, including a particularly hilarious one where someone got him to swear off the site forever just by registering a handle of "gary skarka" or some such.

The tl;dr being that there were plenty of people kind of hoping he would gently caress up Far West and be forced to eat some humble pie. I don't think anyone expected how well he would delivery on that schadenfreude though

This is largely the crux of the matter. If GMS didn't spend practically his every waking hour training to win a gold medal in the rear end in a top hat Olympics nobody would even care about Far West and it would have been consigned to the collective memory hole, but he's such a miserably unpleasant, self-aggrandizing rear end in a top hat that watching him repeatedly eat poo poo became a spectator sport.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Nystral posted:

My parents were too smart to let me watch Wizards, but there is another 70’s era Sci Fi animated film that I saw but I can’t seem to find via google.

The main arc is some kind of hero from the wastes tries to save a mutant village against some unstoppable foe. The big bad thing is some kind of massive organism that captures the hero and tell them that trying to stop them NOW is futile, but the big bad will cocoon the hero for 1000 years or something when the big bad’s cells will start failing and the hero will have a better shot at killing the big bad. I really hope I’m not misremembering something, or smashing a few films together.

The only other thing that stands out is the mutant village has a named character with no head, but rather the eyes and mouth are located in the torso. I want to say it’s also blue, but I don’t know that for sure.

I think this is "Isaac Asimov's Lightyears"?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

This is largely the crux of the matter. If GMS didn't spend practically his every waking hour training to win a gold medal in the rear end in a top hat Olympics nobody would even care about Far West and it would have been consigned to the collective memory hole, but he's such a miserably unpleasant, self-aggrandizing rear end in a top hat that watching him repeatedly eat poo poo became a spectator sport.

Yeah, the first appearance of a mod in the RPG.net thread I posted (when it was just 'Forum Administrator') immediately starts dunking on him.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Oh my loving god Skarka posts his home phone number 6 pages in.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The impersonator's "perfectly innocent" posting - even re-registering to make nice to GMS - had me dying laughing. What a glorious troll.

Did any regular poster ever admit to being the fake?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Lumbermouth posted:

I really hope someone just called to chat. Like no troll, just "I'm from ARR PEE GEE DOT NET and I want to ask you about elfgames."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Didn't Skarka also make a lot of noise about how other folks were doing KickStarters wrong and generally disparaging people who had trouble fulfilling theirs? It's possible I'm thinking of some other jerk but I remember there being a certain kind of poetic justice to GMS becoming the poster child for failing to deliver on KS.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lumbermouth posted:

I like the follow up to that where someone tries calling it and GMS goes

quote:

Then I'm glad that I just used my callback feature, instead of resorting to the other, nastier, pervasive methods that my new job affords me. I could've accidentally gotten you in some serious poo poo.

Next time, just say "Hi."

GMS

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
That's some real "Whoa, looks like we got a BADASS here" level poo poo.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
GMS at some desk in 2002: "Could ruin this phone-caller's life...." *finger hovers over the KILLALLNERDS.EXE button* "... but nah, I'm feeling merciful today" *presses the call back button while his glasses glint*

e- you can tell Skarka is a pro hacker because he has access to a database of every human named Skarka since the middle ages

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 19, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I wonder how he found out about the account. Did the forum have the search function back in the day? I would not be surprised he was an early proponent of ego-surfing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Dawgstar posted:

So I wonder how he found out about the account. Did the forum have the search function back in the day? I would not be surprised he was an early proponent of ego-surfing.

Per the OP he saw the "Welcome to our newest member:" thing which is pretty standard on lots of forums since forever.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Zurui posted:

I really hope someone just called to chat. Like no troll, just "I'm from ARR PEE GEE DOT NET and I want to ask you about elfgames."

Read the thread, some people did. The whole thing is worth a read, if for nothing else to see people call each other cunts on rpg.net and not get in trouble.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

neaden posted:

Read the thread, some people did. The whole thing is worth a read, if for nothing else to see people call each other cunts on rpg.net and not get in trouble.

Kurieg posted:

You need an account to read thread there now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

Per the OP he saw the "Welcome to our newest member:" thing which is pretty standard on lots of forums since forever.

I forgot it used to be a bit more obvious.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

TG As An Industry: GMS poo poo his pants on RPG.net in 2002.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Zurui posted:

Several people did just that, and one supposedly tried to hit him up for a writing gig. Then GMS whined to us mods about it via PM, and we laughed at him for posting his phone number.

Supposedly he'd still get calls years later.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 20, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cessna posted:

The tale of the haunted internet rear end in a top hat remains a good ghost story to this day...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cessna posted:

Several people did just that, and one supposedly tried to hit him up for a writing gig. Then GMS whined to us mods about it via PM, and we laughed at him for posting his phone number.

I've never seen somebody drain all potential sympathy for themselves so quickly.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

How hard is it to just change your phone number in the US?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Warthur posted:

How hard is it to just change your phone number in the US?

In terms of getting the phone company to change it for you, it's nbd. They may just charge you a fee. But it's a big PITA to have to tell all your old contacts your new number and poo poo, and tell the government and your bank, and your dentist and doctor and everyone else you expect to call you.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I'll also point out that we would have been perfectly okay with deleting his number from that post. We even told him we would.

He didn't want to, and wanted us to ban anyone who called him. We didn't, of course.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Cessna posted:

I'll also point out that we would have been perfectly okay with deleting his number from that post. We even told him we would.

He didn't want to, and wanted us to ban anyone who called him. We didn't, of course.

What were the chances this is some weird elaborate performance art on GMSkarka's part?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm getting weird Ironic War Criminal flashbacks from GMS' antics now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Libertad! posted:

What were the chances this is some weird elaborate performance art on GMSkarka's part?

At this point in 2019-land I think it's pretty well established that if any of Skarka's antics ever were just part of some elaborate schtick he was putting on that he fell into the inescapable black hole of Ironically Doing The Thing Is Still Doing the Thing and it took over his life to the point where he's basically torpedoed his odds of ever working in tabletop games again. I think he has a couple friends who'll occasionally throw him some pity work, the Tianxia kickstarter had him as a guest writer for a chapter in the fiction anthology they made as a stretch goal for example, but notably nobody that I'm aware of has invited him to actually put his name on a game they're working on, presumably because doing so would invite an endless recounting of all the dumb poo poo he's done over the last two decades plus.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
It's been three days, I think that's enough GMS chat.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
As a subject change, I saw that Lee Garvin (creator of Tales from the Floating Vagabond) has died suddenly. :(

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well that's bad. Has there been any word from his estate as to what will be done with the rights?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Didn't that happen, like, a month ago? It was loving morbid, too, he was posting on Facebook about chest pains or shortness of breath or something, and people had to post GO TO THE HOSPITAL at him.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
So it looks like Catalyst might be in pretty serious trouble. They recently shipped a boardgame and, apparently, doubled up on sending people a $110 box for the boardgame rather than the much smaller expansion pack than was initially asked for. This is, apparently, because the distributor misread a skew. Apparently 'hundreds' of games have gone missing and they're scrambling to catch up. This scramble means that EU, CA and AU packages haven't been shipped at all.

They've also announced the imminent arrival of Shadowrun 6th Edition; there was about a 4 month lag between the edition being announced and the edition being shipped (it's coming out at GenCon after, apparently, zero public playtesting). The feedback from podcasters and youtube-types that have played the game is overwhelmingly negative, with former team-members and freelancers speaking out publicly about the state of the new edition. It's usually difficult to tell how much of 'new thing bad' is because of people disliking change or how bad the new thing actually is but given the sheer volume (and the poor state of the QSR for SR6) I think it's safe to say that the GenCon release of the Core Rulebook might be a play for some quick cash.

The funny part is, as always a Kickstarter, for a trailer to be pitched around as a TV series. Unbelievably, it doesn't pick up immediately after the events of A Night's Work, but it does look a whole lot like Shadowrun with the serial numbers filed off. It has Jason Hardy, the line developer for SR, as a consultant as well as a lot of other people that have worked for Catalyst as editors and writers. I can only assume that the new edition is in such a solid state that it no longer needs the full attention of a line developer, writers and editors.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Sion posted:

The funny part is, as always a Kickstarter, for a trailer to be pitched around as a TV series. Unbelievably, it doesn't pick up immediately after the events of A Night's Work, but it does look a whole lot like Shadowrun with the serial numbers filed off. It has Jason Hardy, the line developer for SR, as a consultant as well as a lot of other people that have worked for Catalyst as editors and writers. I can only assume that the new edition is in such a solid state that it no longer needs the full attention of a line developer, writers and editors.

brb putting up a $15k KS for my larp group to get filmed, this can only go well

also lol at a cyberpunk thing being set in Chicago with an all-white cast, fuckin punk as hell right there

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Luckily Battletech is raking in a ton of cash for them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is 6e the "Shadowrun 6th World" box that's already out?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

moths posted:

Is 6e the "Shadowrun 6th World" box that's already out?

Nah that's the quick start rules. Some of the character choices in it are bonkers (the rigger has to spend 40 karma to be able to take as many actions in a round as the mage does for free) and show that this is likely to be a version where magic totally runs away with combat. Also, Armor as a spell is flatly better than any kind of armor in that it provides damage resistance -and- additional dice to a soakpool instead of just additional dice to a soakpool. Also, since Armor is the first card alphabetically, it's the card that was finished first which means that Fireball and Firebolt and a third card I can't remember re-use everything from the armor card except the title of it because copy-and-paste sometimes bites you in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Remember Reality Check: The game of privilege, the alt-right pandering punch down game all about how to mock minorities? They absolutely took the time to reconsider their social media messaging and the whole game:

https://twitter.com/gameofprivilege/status/1150898382715662336/photo/1

Wait, no, the other thing as the moment they were criticised, they doubled down on acting like complete shitheads (go through their twitter, there are too many to link to)