Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

HM:
Dragon Gate Kobe World Wrestling Festival 2019, 21/07/2019

Ultimo Dragon, Dragon Kid & Masato Yoshino vs Masaaki Mochizuki, Shuji Kondo & Takuya Sugawara

A big emotional trios match, Dragon was instrumental in the career of the other 5 guys in this match, Genki Horiguchi was in tears on commentary and he wasn't the only one, Ultimo Dragon also had a few tears in his eyes. Mochizuki is amazing for a 49 year old, Dragon Kid's ranas are still so drat smooth, every one played their part and yeah, you should watch this. It's not the best thing you'll see (or even the best thing on this show) but it all just clicked.

2nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC:

Tribe Vanguard (YAMATO and KAI) (c) vs R.E.D. (Big R Shimizu and Eita) vs MaxiMuM (Naruki Doi and Kaito Ishida)

Hot drat. Just watch this.

Nth it had everything

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Gonna throw out a HM for Ben-K vs PAC from the same Dragon Gate event.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TTBF posted:

2nd this. PAC vs Ben-K for the Dream Gate championship is a match well worth watching. Though I'd say the whole show is from start to finish.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC:

Tribe Vanguard (YAMATO and KAI) (c) vs R.E.D. (Big R Shimizu and Eita) vs MaxiMuM (Naruki Doi and Kaito Ishida)

forkboy84 posted:

HM:

Ultimo Dragon, Dragon Kid & Masato Yoshino vs Masaaki Mochizuki, Shuji Kondo & Takuya Sugawara

A big emotional trios match, Dragon was instrumental in the career of the other 5 guys in this match, Genki Horiguchi was in tears on commentary and he wasn't the only one, Ultimo Dragon also had a few tears in his eyes. Mochizuki is amazing for a 49 year old, Dragon Kid's ranas are still so drat smooth, every one played their part and yeah, you should watch this. It's not the best thing you'll see (or even the best thing on this show) but it all just clicked.

Akileese posted:

HM: Konosuke Takeshita Vs Chris Brookes, DDT “SUMMER VACATION 2019”, 21/07/2019

Really good match that delivered on all fronts.

Neodoomium posted:

07/14 | Kazuchika Okada vs. Zack Sabre Jr - NJPW G1 Climax Night 3
07/18 | SANADA vs. EVIL - NJPW G1 Climax Night 5
07/20 | Kota Ibushi vs. SANADA - NJPW G1 Climax Night 7

All three of these for Match of the Year, please

Dango Bango posted:

Caught up on the last two days of the G1.

MOTFYC - Tomohiro Ishii vs. Jon Moxley, G1 Climax Night 6 (7/19)
MOTYC - Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay, G1 Climax Night 7 (7/20)

Ishii/Mox is my personal MOTY thus far.

Rodney the Piper posted:

MOTYC: Kota Ibushi vs Will Ospreay, G1 Climax (7/18)

Holy poo poo this loving owned. One of my top three or so matches this year.

HM: Hijo del LA Park, LA Park, & La Parka Jr vs. Bestia del Ring, Mistico, & Rush, CMLL Liger Farewell (7/20)

This was a really intense match but the cheap finishes on a couple of the falls kept it from being a MOTYC.

The eight man tag from the same match will get either a HM or MOTYC from me, I just wasn't awake enough when I watched it to make a proper determination.

I'm also going to give a HM to: Jushin Liger vs Negro Casas vs Caristico vs Último Guerrero, CMLL Liger Farewell (7/20)

But if you liked either of these CMLL matches, there's a bunch of stuff I've linked to in this thread from CMLL that I'd really recommend you check out. It's got really great talent in it right now and every single Friday night there's almost always one or two memorable matches to check out.
Nth all of these.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Gonna 3rd the HM for Ben-K vs PAC from Kobe World. It never quite got into the third gear that I know both men are capable of, but the story and the emotion carries it over the edge.

But really the whole show is worth watching, probably the breeziest five hours of wrestling I've ever watched. Every match just flew by. No match overstayed its welcome, every result felt good and earned and nothing left the fans unhappy or unsatisfied.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

HM: Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay - NJPW G1 Climax Night 7 - 20th July

i did not think osprey was selling enough near the end but really good. like MOTYC if you do not have my crank hang ups good

MOTYC: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Bad Luck Fale, G1 Climax Night 7- 20th July

i do not know how you could tell this story in a better way. like, the match was it's own best possible self. you had zsj dangling all over fale and occaisionally getting caught, then that fucker jado brings a kendo stick into play which leads to it spilling into a 3 on 1 crowd clusterfuck, fale teases a crucifix murderbomb down the steps, then they do a three stooges bit to get zsj back on offence then the really cool count out finish. i like mat wrestling & bullshit and this was mat wrestling & bullshit i must be true to my own self

MOTYC: Cody Rhodes vs. Dustin Runnels- 25th May

i am sure this already has more than enough noms but i was not posting in this thread at that time and this is my actual MOTY so far. a once in a decade confluence of factors come together to create an emotional spectacle par excellence

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
MOTYC: Jon Moxley vs. Tomohiro Ishii, G1 Climax (7/19)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

HM:

2nd

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

HM:

Kzy vs Shun Skywalker

Exactly what you want from a Dragon Gate match, high intensity, wild, watch it.

forkboy84 posted:

HM:

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC:

TTBF posted:

Nthing all of these. My fav show of the weekend

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

HM:

Kzy vs Shun Skywalker

Exactly what you want from a Dragon Gate match, high intensity, wild, watch it.

2nd

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Lance Archer, G1 Climax (7/20)
HM: EVIL vs. KENTA, G1 Climax (7/20)
HM: Kota Ibushi vs. SANADA, G1 Climax (7/20)
MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay, G1 Climax (7/20)

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
Jerusalem, a question about HMs:

Are MOTYC and HM nominations both considered when totalling for HMs. The Honorable Mention list states HMs as receiving 7 HM votes OR 4 MOTY votes, but would a match with 4 HM votes & 3 MOTYC votes be considered as reaching the threshold for an Honorable Mention?

Also some actual nominations to justify this post:

WOTYC: 06/07 | Lars Sullivan vs. Lucha House Party - WWE Super Showdown
WOTYC: 06/07 | Triple H vs. Randy Orton - WWE Super Showdown
WOTYC: 06/07 | 51 Man Battle Royal - WWE Super Showdown

HM: 06/23 | Tony Nese (C) vs. Akira Tozawa vs. Drew Gulak for the Cruiserweight Championship - WWE Stomping Grounds
HM: 06/23 | Daniel Bryan & Rowan (C) vs. Heavy Machinery for the Smackdown Tag Championship - WWE Stomping Grounds
HM: 06/23 | Samoa Joe (C) vs. Ricochet for the United States Championship - WWE Stomping Grounds

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Kevino07 posted:

The Honorable Mention list states HMs as receiving 7 HM votes OR 4 MOTY votes, but would a match with 4 HM votes & 3 MOTYC votes be considered as reaching the threshold for an Honorable Mention?

Yes. It didn't use to work that way but last December J-Ru realized it didn't and fixed it for this year.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

HM:Ultimo Dragon, Dragon Kid & Masato Yoshino vs Masaaki Mochizuki, Shuji Kondo & Takuya Sugawara, Dragon Gate Kobe World Wrestling Festival 2019, 21/07/2019

TTBF posted:

MOTYC: Tribe Vanguard (YAMATO and KAI) (c) vs R.E.D. (Big R Shimizu and Eita) vs MaxiMuM (Naruki Doi and Kaito Ishida)

forkboy84 posted:

HM:Kzy vs Shun Skywalker, Dragon Gate Kobe World Wrestling Festival 2019, 21/07/2019
NTH

and HM: Pac vs Ben-K, Dragon Gate Kobe World Wrestling Festival 2019, 21/07/2019

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HM: KENTA/EVIL, G1 Day 7
MOTYC: SANADA/Ibushi, G1 Day 7

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Takumi Iroha, Sareee & Nanae Takahashi vs. Mikoto Shindo, Mei Hoshizuki & Maria - Marvelous Monday Fight Night (7/22)

I wouldn't usually nominate a match behind a pay wall for a company most people don't watch but this is ¥600 and the money goes to getting stray dogs adopted and it went so hard. Seeing three poo poo head teenagers take it to three of the best wrestlers in the world ruled so much.

For context, imagine NJPW booked Shota Umino, Ren Narita and Yota Tsuji to go against Kazuchika Okada, Kento Miyahara and Naomichi Marufuji but in this scenario Okada and Kento have like the NOAH and Wrestle-1 titles too.

Despite the clear disparity in position in the world of joshi pro wrestling the crowd bit on every near fall.

Even the post match promo owned where Shindo, in response to Sareee calling Mei "Mikoto", repeatedly disrespected her seniors by calling them by the wrong name and told them she only learns when she wrestles Yoshiko.

This is in my top ten for the year and if only one of you watches it because of this recommendation I'll be happy.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I shall second that match; I changed my lunch break at work just to watch it live and it ruled. Three legit WOTY candidates (Nanae Takahashi perhaps a slight reach but she’s had great matches, the other two certainly) against the three best rookies in wrestling today that have been booked perfectly manage to shockingly have an incredibly good match. Unless they get hurt or decide to retire young all three of the Marvelous rookies should be fantastic wrestlers long term and it’s incredibly exciting.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Dalton Castle vs. Will Ospreay, Honor Rising Japan 2/22
HM: Hirooki Goto vs. Jeff Cobb, Honor Rising Japan 2/22
HM: Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa vs. EVIL & SANADA, Honor Rising Japan 2/23

Only 85 more matches to watch from New Japan this year, before the G1 Climax starts back up and extends that even more!

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

MOTYC Kota Ibushi vs Will Ospreay, G1 Climax Night 5
MOTYC Jon Moxley vs Tomohiro Ishii, G1 Climax Night 6

HM ZSJ vs Tanahashi, G1 Climax Night 5
HM Goto vs Naito, G1 Climax Night 6
HM Yano vs Switchblade, G1 Climax Night 6
HM EVIL vs SANADA, G1 Climax Night 5

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kevino07 posted:

Jerusalem, a question about HMs:

Are MOTYC and HM nominations both considered when totalling for HMs. The Honorable Mention list states HMs as receiving 7 HM votes OR 4 MOTY votes, but would a match with 4 HM votes & 3 MOTYC votes be considered as reaching the threshold for an Honorable Mention?

Already answered, but yes, though I only really go back and count ones like you hypothetically suggest during the clean-outs every few months because it's a real pain to keep a constant track on otherwise. Giving people the heads-up about matches below the threshold during these times will often trigger enough votes to get them over the line on their own merits.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: David Finlay & Juice Robinson vs. Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe, Honor Rising Japan 2/23

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
5/4/ Stardom Queen's Quest Produce
HM: Kagetsu vs Bea Priestly
HM: Toni Storm vs Momo Watanabe

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MOTYC: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito - NJPW G1 Climax Night 8 - 7/24

These two are ALWAYS fantastic together and this was no exception. Holy gently caress what a match, the crowd was in utter anguish at parts thinking their chosen wrestler was going to lose and hell, same.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

2nd

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Jerusalem posted:

These two are ALWAYS fantastic together and this was no exception. Holy gently caress what a match, the crowd was in utter anguish at parts thinking their chosen wrestler was going to lose and hell, same.

nth

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, Nth.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Absolutely this.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Jerusalem posted:

Definitely. I'd also nominate:

HM: Shingo Takagi vs Jon Moxley - G1 Climax Night 8 [7/24]

The rest of the card was solid. Taichi and Goto had their best match so far but they just don't gel spectacularly well, which you can't really blame on either one since you could tell they were both way more motivated this time around, but it just ended up being Pretty Good rather than Great. Dunno what the issue with Cobb in the G1 is, though, he's being booked bizarrely weak, and spends way too much time selling. It was fine but I don't think a Jay White control match (which I usually like!) is a good fit against someone as big and strong as Cobb, there probably should've been a leg injury angle going into the match or something to give White more of an advantage.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

TriffTshngo posted:

Definitely. I'd also nominate:

nth, match had great psychology and completely subverted expectations in a positive way

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I was so occupied with showing my guests around Helsinki that I totally forgot about G1. Hell yeah, so excited to watch it back when I get home. Any particularly should-see stuff in the undercard this time?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

I was so occupied with showing my guests around Helsinki that I totally forgot about G1. Hell yeah, so excited to watch it back when I get home. Any particularly should-see stuff in the undercard this time?

I don't know if you pick and choose G1 matches but don't skip Taichi/Goto based on the past two matches being pretty dire. It was easily their best together and super fun.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I don't know if you pick and choose G1 matches but don't skip Taichi/Goto based on the past two matches being pretty dire. It was easily their best together and super fun.

Oh I'm watching every single block match this year for sure :)

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Finally caught up with the G1, with the exception of today's show.

Night 1
MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs. Lance Archer, NJPW G1 Climax 7/6
HM: SANADA vs. ZSJ - NJPW G1 Climax 7/6
MOTYC: KENTA vs. Kota Ibushi, NJPW G1 Climax 7/6
MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - NJPW G1 Climax Night 1 7/6

Night 2
HM: Shingo Takagi vs. Juice Robinson: NJPW G1 Climax 7/13
MOTYC: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Jeff Cobb - NJPW G1 Climax 7/13
HM: Hirooki Goto vs. Jay White - NJPW G1 Climax 7/13

Night 3
HM: Lance Archer vs. Bad Luck Fale - NJPW G1 Climax 7/14
MOTYC: SANADA vs. Will Ospreay - NJPW G1 Climax 7/14
HM: Kazuchika Okada vs. Zack Sabre Jr - NJPW G1 Climax 7/14
HM: EVIL vs Kota Ibushi - NJPW G1 Climax 7/14
HM: KENTA vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - NJPW G1 Climax 7/14

Night 4
HM: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Jay White - NJPW G1 Climax 7/15
HM: Tetsuya Naito vs. Taichi - NJPW G1 Climax 7/15

Night 5
HM: EVIL vs. SANADA - NJPW G1 Climax 7/18
HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Zack Sabre Jr. - NJPW G1 Climax 7/18
MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs. Kota Ibushi - NJPW G1 Climax 7/18
HM: KENTA vs. Lance Archer - NJPW G1 Climax 7/18

Night 6
HM: Taichi vs. Shingo Takagi - NJPW G1 Climax 7/19
HM: Hirooki Goto vs. Tetsuya Naito - NJPW G1 Climax 7/19
MOTYC: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Jon Moxley - NJPW G1 Climax 7/19

Night 7
MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay - NJPW G1 Climax 7/20
HM: Kota Ibushi vs. SANADA - NJPW G1 Climax 7/20
HM: EVIL vs. KENTA - NJPW G1 Climax 7/20
HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Lance Archer - NJPW G1 Climax 7/20

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

nth, match had great psychology and completely subverted expectations in a positive way

nth

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Also catching up on the G1 and nominating these:

Night 1
MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs. Lance Archer, NJPW G1 Climax 7/6
HM: SANADA vs. ZSJ - NJPW G1 Climax 7/6
MOTYC: KENTA vs. Kota Ibushi, NJPW G1 Climax 7/6
MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - NJPW G1 Climax Night 1 7/6

Night 2
HM: Shingo Takagi vs. Juice Robinson: NJPW G1 Climax 7/13
MOTYC: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Jeff Cobb - NJPW G1 Climax 7/13

Night 3
MOTYC: SANADA vs. Will Ospreay - NJPW G1 Climax 7/14
MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Zack Sabre Jr - NJPW G1 Climax 7/14
HM: EVIL vs Kota Ibushi - NJPW G1 Climax 7/14
HM: KENTA vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - NJPW G1 Climax 7/14

Also caught up on AEW today and would nth:
HM: The Dark Order vs. A Boy and his Dinosaur vs. Jack Evans and Angelico - AEW Fight for the Fallen
HM: SCU vs Lucha Bros: AEW Fight for the Fallen
MOTYC CIMA vs Kenny Omega - AEW Fight for the Fallen

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

G1 Night 8
HM: Shingo Takagi vs Mox
MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

G1 Night 8
HM: Shingo Takagi vs Mox
MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii

nth

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TriffTshngo posted:

This deserves a HM as well.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

TriffTshngo posted:

number'thed

EDIT:

extradite THIS! posted:

there was some fun stuff in the kenta/LA dojo lads vs. okada/job squad six-man

lost my old email fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 24, 2019