Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I withdraw my question :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
seems pretty straightforward for an xmen story

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
That didn't involve time travel or even one alternate reality. That's easy mode.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, no secret Summers family drama. Seems like about as simple as it gets.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Speaking of....Vulcan is in that X-Men graphic.

All those X-Books are looking pretty good. New Mutants especially.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

was generation x ever any good?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Parallax posted:

I liked it well enough.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's probably the best thing Lobdell's worked on for whatever low bar that sets.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

*snip*
A lot has happened since then! He got out somehow and appeared in Deadpool and Thor, then showed up in Rosenberg's X-Men where he was part of the new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants until he found out the Magneto he was following wasn't really Magneto, it was Joseph pretending to be Magneto again. So then he switched sides to the X-Men and Kwannon beheaded Joseph anyway. He hung out with the X-Men not doing much for six issues, until a fully-demonic Magik ripped Cyttorak's Ruby out of his chest, crushed it, and then sent a withered depowered Cain Marko into Limbo.

So that's where he's at!

Please tell me there is a Deadpool and Thor book like Cable and Deadpool, or Spider-Man/Deadpool.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
deadpool is worthy of the hammer and he goes by thorpool now

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Parallax posted:

It was good for a lot of its run, and it when it was firing on all cylinders it was great. I mean, it's an X-book so there's unevenness there, and admittedly it's been a few years since I've read it, but up until Ellis took over the book I have nothing but affection for it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Parallax posted:

I think that it's fantastic up until Bachalo leaves the series, and okay for a bit after then. But he added so much to the book that made it stand out. And yeah, it's probably Lobdell's best work.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Reading through the Simonson era of Thor on MU and I guess they only use the digital colour versions during the Ragnarok story era. The issues now are in the original colouring and are so much better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

Reading through the Simonson era of Thor on MU and I guess they only use the digital colour versions during the Ragnarok story era. The issues now are in the original colouring and are so much better.

Has there ever been a modern recoloring that actually improved a book?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I haven't seen it if so.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

Has there ever been a modern recoloring that actually improved a book?

I might argue that the last couple of arcs in the original Ostrander run on Suicide Squad look a lot better now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1153782996295544834?s=19

This could be good, unfamiliar with the main writer, but backups by Kelly Thompson and Leah Williams is good. Storm, Invisible Woman and Captain Marvel is a hilariously overpowered team if they're written anywhere near their peak.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was wondering how they were going to approach History of the Marvel Universe, but the framing device on the first pages instantly sold me.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

This could be good, unfamiliar with the main writer, but backups by Kelly Thompson and Leah Williams is good. Storm, Invisible Woman and Captain Marvel is a hilariously overpowered team if they're written anywhere near their peak.

Seanan is good and you should read Spider-Gwen

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

I was wondering how they were going to approach History of the Marvel Universe, but the framing device on the first pages instantly sold me.

God drat this rules.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Skwirl posted:

Kelly Thompson getting to write more Jessica Jones and Elsa Bloodstone is always a good thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God drat this rules.

The book is beautifully illustrated. But what's also cool is that it has like 12 pages of annotations with original art explaining what issues all the events covered in the book came from. I loved this first issue.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It's funny that I was skimming Silver Surfer Black for Tradd Moore's art and saw that it pegged the first fight between Silver Surfer and SENSATIONAL CHARACTER FIND KNULL, THE DARK GOD OF DARK SYMBIOTES as taking place "billions of years ago" and "at the dawn of time" which didn't really make sense given everything established about Galactus and the Silver Surfer (that Norrin Radd was part of a long-lived but not immortal advanced space-faring race before becoming Galactus's herald, that Galactus was a firmly established legend/galactic threat before touching down on Zenn-La, that Norrin's non-cosmic girlfriend was still alive as of a few years ago, that Galactus went a long time without a herald, that Silver Surfer wasn't even his first herald, etc. etc.) and so it was nice for Waid to pin down Norrin becoming the Silver Surfer some time between 1459 and 1720 today.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

The book is beautifully illustrated. But what's also cool is that it has like 12 pages of annotations with original art explaining what issues all the events covered in the book came from. I loved this first issue.

This is the Mark Waid jam right?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

X-O posted:

I know this isn't Erica Henderson but goddamn it looks like her art.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cloks posted:

Maybe if you squint really hard?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

Other than that one Franklin on the second page having smaller irises/pupils I don't know how you see that.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Cloks posted:

I had the same thought; it’s not the same but Franklin’s face on the second page reminds me of her style.

edit: so does Galactus’s profile on page 1

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i can kinda see it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not seeing it at all. The coloring, heavy use of negative space, (and characters, admittedly) reads as Nick Dragotta to me, if anything.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I had the same thought; it’s not the same but Franklin’s face on the second page reminds me of her style.

edit: so does Galactus’s profile on page 1

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm seeing. The coloring really makes me think of Assassin Nation as well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sadly, a distinct lack of this in Valkyrie

https://twitter.com/zatannaverse/status/1153819812734177282?s=19

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The exclamation mark thing irks me. Probably because people who do it seem to talk strictly in TVTropes when discussing things.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

It's funny that I was skimming Silver Surfer Black for Tradd Moore's art and saw that it pegged the first fight between Silver Surfer and SENSATIONAL CHARACTER FIND KNULL, THE DARK GOD OF DARK SYMBIOTES as taking place "billions of years ago" and "at the dawn of time" which didn't really make sense given everything established about Galactus and the Silver Surfer (that Norrin Radd was part of a long-lived but not immortal advanced space-faring race before becoming Galactus's herald, that Galactus was a firmly established legend/galactic threat before touching down on Zenn-La, that Norrin's non-cosmic girlfriend was still alive as of a few years ago, that Galactus went a long time without a herald, that Silver Surfer wasn't even his first herald, etc. etc.) and so it was nice for Waid to pin down Norrin becoming the Silver Surfer some time between 1459 and 1720 today.

It's revealed that Silver Surfer once encountered Klyntar during his time as Herald but didn't know what it was. The symbiotes were all already afraid of him. That's because right now he's been trapped in a black hole and is in the past where he battles Knull and that's why the symbiotes were already afraid of him during that visit. The battle at the dawn of time is taking place in Silver Surfer's present.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

X-O posted:

I'm curious how/whether this was coordinated with Hickman, because it seems likely that Powers of X will introduce some sort of major retcon(s) to X-history that may or may not be represented here.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ASM continues to be good.

Also, drat, the ending of Ms. Marvel was a bit of a gut-punch.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

X-O posted:

It's revealed that Silver Surfer once encountered Klyntar during his time as Herald but didn't know what it was. The symbiotes were all already afraid of him. That's because right now he's been trapped in a black hole and is in the past where he battles Knull and that's why the symbiotes were already afraid of him during that visit. The battle at the dawn of time is taking place in Silver Surfer's present.
Well that's what I get for skimming a book for the art!

Yvonmukluk posted:

ASM continues to be good.
I've been surprised how much I've been enjoying this book and was literally thinking that when I flipped the page to get to the Sinister Syndicate's Third Wave Feminist Corporate Revamp of "Evil" that immediately devolved into "LOL women be arguing about macrobiotic diets and microaggressions LOL" so I was with you up until that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that marvels epilogue was only 15 pages of story? wtf man i need more