Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://gfycat.com/rigidreliablearachnid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, and unfixable

I don't suppose you're on PC? If so you could command console it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

In It For The Tank posted:

I don't suppose you're on PC? If so you could command console it.

PS4. I hope the rewards weren't like super good or anything

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

Soon I get to find out how cocked up the tree spirit quest with the Crones. I turned it in to a horse.

There's no "good" outcome with the Crones stuff. Just different types of lovely.

(read spoilers only after wrapping up Bloody Baron and Crones stuff):

Ending 1) If you free the tree spirit in the form of a horse, it rescues the orphans (check the school in Novigrad) but attacks the Crone-supporting village of Downwarren. The tree spirit is definitely not benevolent, you've released a vengeful and probably evil power. The Crones are pissed at you so they curse Anna into a water hag. The Baron hangs himself. The Baron's sergeant takes command, he's worse than the Baron and makes life somehow shittier for the peasants of Velen. Spirit loose, orphans saved, Downwarren attacked, Anna and Baron dead.

Ending 2) If you kill the tree spirit, the orphans are eaten by the Crones. You've destroyed a malevolent spirit which is probably good, but that's what the Crones wanted you to do so maybe also bad. The Crones don't curse Anna, she's alive but insane. The Baron swears to stop drinking and takes Anna away to seek healing. The Baron's sergeant takes command, he's worse than the Baron and makes life somehow shittier for the peasants of Velen. Spirit destroyed, orphans eaten, Downwarren safe, Anna and Baron alive.

The true nature of the tree spirit is ambiguous but it's definitely not a good thing to have it loose.

You can also sequence-break and free the spirit before talking to the Crones, in which case your ending is IIRC: Spirit loose, orphans ??, Downwarren attacked, Anna and Baron alive.

No matter what, the peasants of Velen end up worse off. Which is why this thread started referring to Velen as Peasant Misery Simulator very shortly after release.

edit: and for what it's worth, Velen is the most :smith: zone, the other chunks of the game have some more lighthearted and fun bits.

Like, Johnny the godling is the only upbeat and funny bit of Velen that I can recall off the top of my head. Defecatin' to the sunrise, downright glorious!

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 20, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Regarding the third outcome, the orphans appear at the elementary school in Novigrad if you sequence break the quest, same as if they're saved by the spirit should you do things in the 'right' order. Otherwise it's different unnamed children.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Regarding the third outcome, the orphans appear at the elementary school in Novigrad if you sequence break the quest, same as if they're saved by the spirit should you do things in the 'right' order. Otherwise it's different unnamed children.

Alright thanks, I didn't remember the specifics. So the only difference in outcome between the first option and the sequence-breaking third option is Anna and the Baron live rather than die. sounds like

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The actress that plays Ciri has a really striking look, with all of the poo poo about casting in this I think they did a great job with her. I thought Yen looked fine too?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Megazver posted:

Oh man, so much better with the leleley:

Yes. It's unfortunate they decided to abandon the East European folklore vibe of the game, with the weird string instruments and the female choral singing, which was a big differentiator from your generic fantasy RPG setting.. now it just looks like Game of Thrones with a different script and set of actors.. Which is a bummer because slavic lore is effectively non-existent in Western pop culture, and this could have been a solid shot at sharing that with the rest of the world in a film format.

Also, I'm sure Cavill is a great actor, but Geralt is a) not a pretty boy, he's gruff, weathered and heavily scarred by game 3. I'm guessing the first season is before Geralt is old as dirt, so closer to game 1 or 2 b) he's nowhere that ripped. He's fundamentally a lean rogue class with superhuman powers, he doesn't need the giant mass, and this dude instead is starting to look closer to Letho

I'm fundamentally pretty meh on the cast choice, but I suppose it's better than no show at all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's set way before the games, at the start of the books. I had my doubts about Cavill but he seems to have pulled it off.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

It's set way before the games, at the start of the books. I had my doubts about Cavill but he seems to have pulled it off.

So around the time of the prequel books like the Last Wish?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Geralt is a handsome man in the books. His personality is just much more repellent.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Geralt is a handsome man in the books. His personality is just much more repellent.

I only just recently started the first book, so I haven't figured this out yet, but is he much more reasonable in the game than in the literature? I thought his in-game persona was excellent, he's a guy who gets thrown into tough moral situations where there is not obvious right or wrong and he tries to make the least worst call. He always feels like a "good guy", always in lovely situations. Is he a douche in the books?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've only read bits and pieces of the books but my impression is that Geralt has grown up a lot by W2 and 3.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

DreadCthulhu posted:

I only just recently started the first book, so I haven't figured this out yet, but is he much more reasonable in the game than in the literature? I thought his in-game persona was excellent, he's a guy who gets thrown into tough moral situations where there is not obvious right or wrong and he tries to make the least worst call. He always feels like a "good guy", always in lovely situations. Is he a douche in the books?

no, its just geralt is geralt in the books rather than player choice. i replayed witcher 1 & 2 after reading the books and went a more book geralt and it was awesome. doesnt wanna get involved in horseshit, tries to stick neutrally but loyal as hell to friends and those close to him which complicates things.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DreadCthulhu posted:

Yes. It's unfortunate they decided to abandon the East European folklore vibe of the game, with the weird string instruments and the female choral singing, which was a big differentiator from your generic fantasy RPG setting.. now it just looks like Game of Thrones with a different script and set of actors.. Which is a bummer because slavic lore is effectively non-existent in Western pop culture, and this could have been a solid shot at sharing that with the rest of the world in a film format.

Also, I'm sure Cavill is a great actor, but Geralt is a) not a pretty boy, he's gruff, weathered and heavily scarred by game 3. I'm guessing the first season is before Geralt is old as dirt, so closer to game 1 or 2 b) he's nowhere that ripped. He's fundamentally a lean rogue class with superhuman powers, he doesn't need the giant mass, and this dude instead is starting to look closer to Letho

I'm fundamentally pretty meh on the cast choice, but I suppose it's better than no show at all.

My secret hope is that, since the LELELE is actually Percival's song that was incorporated into Witcher 3, nothing's stopping the show from licensing it again.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DreadCthulhu posted:

He's not a douche but he's much more grouchy and insecure in the books. He often drives other people away with callous behavior that stems from deep-seated insecurities. You get a tiny bit of this in the games with him being uncomfortable around fancy people and disappearing without any explanation to go do quests but it's a much bigger part of his personality in the books. Book Geralt is much more clearly a foil for book Yen than the pair in the games. Also he is a more passive figure in the books. Often he sits around and broods on a problem until he's forced into action.

Actually brood is too generous, book Geralt spends a lot of time sulking when confronted with a problem.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 20, 2019

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DreadCthulhu posted:

So around the time of the prequel books like the Last Wish?

That isn't what a prequel is.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
woah, Toussant is pretty, why's the slender man so mad and throwing people in the river?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I kind of hope the Switcher port is good because:

-I want to Play Witcher 3 again after seeing this trailer
-I spend a lot of time on airplanes
-I want to play Witcher on these airplanes

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

:eyepop:

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

what else are you going to call it?

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I’m halfway through the third Witcher book and I really enjoy when his friends have had enough with his no emotions Witcher bullshit.

I really like that they ground Geralt’s badass skill and attitude with him also being basically annoying brat that stomps his feet complains that he is being forced to do something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Old Swerdlow posted:

I’m halfway through the third Witcher book and I really enjoy when his friends have had enough with his no emotions Witcher bullshit.

I really like that they ground Geralt’s badass skill and attitude with him also being basically annoying brat that stomps his feet complains that he is being forced to do something.

yeah, i do like that dandelion calls him out a ton in the first book.

where does season of storms fit in with the books.

i know last wish is kind a "prequel"

than sword of time or blood of elves.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Pellisworth posted:

There's no "good" outcome with the Crones stuff. Just different types of lovely.

(read spoilers only after wrapping up Bloody Baron and Crones stuff):

Ending 1) If you free the tree spirit in the form of a horse, it rescues the orphans (check the school in Novigrad) but attacks the Crone-supporting village of Downwarren. The tree spirit is definitely not benevolent, you've released a vengeful and probably evil power. The Crones are pissed at you so they curse Anna into a water hag. The Baron hangs himself. The Baron's sergeant takes command, he's worse than the Baron and makes life somehow shittier for the peasants of Velen. Spirit loose, orphans saved, Downwarren attacked, Anna and Baron dead.

Ending 2) If you kill the tree spirit, the orphans are eaten by the Crones. You've destroyed a malevolent spirit which is probably good, but that's what the Crones wanted you to do so maybe also bad. The Crones don't curse Anna, she's alive but insane. The Baron swears to stop drinking and takes Anna away to seek healing. The Baron's sergeant takes command, he's worse than the Baron and makes life somehow shittier for the peasants of Velen. Spirit destroyed, orphans eaten, Downwarren safe, Anna and Baron alive.

The true nature of the tree spirit is ambiguous but it's definitely not a good thing to have it loose.

You can also sequence-break and free the spirit before talking to the Crones, in which case your ending is IIRC: Spirit loose, orphans ??, Downwarren attacked, Anna and Baron alive.

No matter what, the peasants of Velen end up worse off. Which is why this thread started referring to Velen as Peasant Misery Simulator very shortly after release.

edit: and for what it's worth, Velen is the most :smith: zone, the other chunks of the game have some more lighthearted and fun bits.

Like, Johnny the godling is the only upbeat and funny bit of Velen that I can recall off the top of my head. Defecatin' to the sunrise, downright glorious!

I ended up with Option 1. I kind of interpret it as pick your poison between Crones and tree horse spirit. Whichever was left would have terrorized Velen.

Interesting that no matter what you do the Baron is gone and replaced by a bigger rear end in a top hat. As for Anna, maybe the sweet embrace of death was the best kindness? Rather than a tortured mind.

Goddamn what a well crafted, interweaving questline.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yen backstory is really sad and how tissaia ended im glad they added it to the show.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The tree spirit is definitely the lesser evil. It's revealed waaay later in the game that it's likely telling the truth and is plausibly a druid from Velen's druid circle that built the ruins you explore with Kiera.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the spirit is the crone`s mother

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The tree spirit is definitely the lesser evil. It's revealed waaay later in the game that it's likely telling the truth and is plausibly a druid from Velen's druid circle that built the ruins you explore with Kiera.

Except you can kill them all and save Velen by killing the tree spirit and then get the bad ending to finish killing the Crones. That's definitely the best choice for the people of Velen in the long term.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mike the TV posted:

Except you can kill them all and save Velen by killing the tree spirit and then get the bad ending to finish killing the Crones. That's definitely the best choice for the people of Velen in the long term.

Ending chat: You kill the Crones in the Witcher-Ciri ending. Is that the bad ending?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

DoctorGonzo posted:

the spirit is the crone`s mother

Yeah but the book that's from is written by someone who worships the Crones. In the same book it says the Crones saved everyone from being sacrificed to make magic acorns and instead now use the tree spirit's blood to make the magic acorns, when we know they still use the villagers' blood.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 21, 2019

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The true nature of the tree spirit is ambiguous, but I think it's probably evil in a way similar to the Crones, it's an ancient and cruel power tied to Velen, the bog, and the big tree. They're both tied to the land like a leshen is linked to its forest.

The tree spirit isn't going to go take over the world, both the spirit and the Crones don't much care about the world outside Velen. They care about maintaining their power locally. Both the Crones and the Baron exert control over their parts of Velen by cruelty and exploitation.

There are a lot of varieties of evil in W3 and not many of them are one-dimensional mustache-twirling villains. That's actually why I think the Wild Hunt themselves are kind of a weak antagonist, there isn't much nuance or characterization to them.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i do like that dandelion calls him out a ton in the first book.

where does season of storms fit in with the books.

i know last wish is kind a "prequel"

than sword of time or blood of elves.

A quick google says that Seasons of Storms takes place earliest in the chronology but should be read as the eighth and last book for context needed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought the Pavetta story or Geralt and Dandelion's vacation to Dol Blathanna was meant to be the earliest.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Interesting that no matter what you do the Baron is gone and replaced by a bigger rear end in a top hat. As for Anna, maybe the sweet embrace of death was the best kindness? Rather than a tortured mind.

Goddamn what a well crafted, interweaving questline.

Eh, they needed to wrap up that story, move you on from the swap, and give a reason why we don't see those characters again.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The SDCC panel is online (sans clips), Henry Cavill's explanations about what are Witchers and Geralt are pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLZms_s8SEc

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DreadCthulhu posted:

Geralt looks like a brick poo poo house with the bear school armor and the default armor

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pellisworth posted:

There are a lot of varieties of evil in W3 and not many of them are one-dimensional mustache-twirling villains. That's actually why I think the Wild Hunt themselves are kind of a weak antagonist, there isn't much nuance or characterization to them.

yeah. like they hint at a bunch of stuff like them basically trying to invade witcher dimension to survive theirs but i got lost with the whole avalarch and ciri and the king and the bifrost plot line.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Worth noting the earliest story in The Last Wish is... I think like 15-20 years before W1. I think for the bulk of the books Ciri is ~12-15 so the books are only 5ish years before Witcher and apparently the games are only meant to span a few months to a year.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
yeah witcher 1 to witcher 2 is a month and 2 to 3 is 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9pbe-1Kd0