Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I just got to 60 but I’m quite early on in HW - can I not get the Tomestone 60 gear until I get to that point in the story? I can’t get my AF gear either as I am msq locked behind my class quests at this point.

Also they took out so many skills for bard some of my class quests literally give you nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Blockhouse posted:

So what if I got into Gathering

is that a good way to make money?

Occasionally. The real money is in crafting stuff as it comes into demand, but there are always gathering niches to fill.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So I just got to 60 but I’m quite early on in HW - can I not get the Tomestone 60 gear until I get to that point in the story? I can’t get my AF gear either as I am msq locked behind my class quests at this point.

Correct. The vendor's in one of the final HW zones and I *think* the vendor doesn't sell stuff until after you complete the base HW MSQ.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

yeah it's kind of weird for start-at-60 jobs to make no mention of you being the WoL, especially considering the end of the gunbreaker quest line very much does

When the guy comes up and is all "Hey I can't let dancers go out and get hurt" you do get an option saying "I'm more then a dancer". To which the guy says "Oh you're an adventurer then"

BRUH

Also that one guy in Costa just calling me Titan's bane. I'm way more then that you little potato poo poo :argh:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Crafting is pretty cheap and easy up until the 30s so don't feel like it'd be a waste dipping your toes early on. If you want you can level makning a profit from selling low level crafted HQ equipment and levequest turn-ins for other people if you keep your gear current and get the early role actions to HQ most crafts: hasty touch, careful synthesis, rapid synthesis, probably tricks of the trade. The time investment in crafting something and the auction slot limitation is enough that the market isn't exactly inundated with low level crafts. Doing this is definitely not a time efficient way to level up crafting or earning money so only do it if you actually like playing junior league auction baron, but low level crafting is not purely a gil sink unless you want to do it fast.

The time efficient approach is definitely to wait until you've unlocked the Ixal and Grand Company turn-ins, then blast through every crafter with them plus levequests, using mostly stuff bought from the marketboard. The time efficient approach is purely a gil sink, though.

On gathering: most low level gathered stuff can be bought cheaply from vendors so it takes a while to get something remotely worthwhile. Once that stops it's okay money, especially if you level gathering retainers, and makes it a lot easier to do crafting later on. Since there's no limit to what tradeskills you can have leveled, unlike say wow, there are a lot of high level gatherers in FFXIV. Supply is pretty high for most materials and you're not going to earn any massive amounts, outside of maybe patch days. A reasonable payscale estimate, for Excal at least, is that harvesting a non-limited gather node with good stuff on it will earn you about 2000-3000 gil worth of materials/node. Time limited nodes are maybe twice that, but you'll have skills to at least triple your yield from that one node so call it 20k/node.

Another thing with gathering is that high level recipes often use specific low level trade goods, so some items will sell for way more than others. It's somewhat challenging to stay on top of this while leveling. Look at your MB or mogboard.com before going out if you want to target profitable things.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Your Computer posted:

I guess PotD pulls from more than just dungeon themes because I went looking for the one that always takes me off guard and I guess it's a PvP theme? This one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTGhDklTOL0

it sounds like something you'd hear in Ragnarok Online, not FFXIV :eyepop:

this is used in treasure hunt

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Most quests mostly make sense if you assume that they happen during the part of the msq where you're that level but I'm pretty sure by level 60 nearly everybody in eorzea has heard of you

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

homeless snail posted:

Heal. Feast teams are as good as their healers, and pug healers suck most of the time. Also play 8 man

8 man doesn't appear to exist anymore.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I recall the Dancer quests being mostly random people going "why the hell is the WoL moonlighting as a stripper now? well, whatever, not my problem you do you."

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Just finished 3.3 and I continue to be amazed at how competent the writing is and how much I am enjoying the characters when compared to the last decade of FF games.

Seems like the Heavensward story wrapped up so I am excited to see the set up for Stormblood in the rest of the 3.x quests.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cleretic posted:

Emet-Selch is a version of Borderlands' Handsome Jack, as written by someone who doesn't know that the best part about Handsome Jack is regularly wiping the smug grin off his face.

I must have missed the point in Shadowbringers where Emet is only able to communicate via internet memes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

super sweet best pal posted:

I'd say it's a dumb take. Emet went out of the way to show you the reason behind his hosed up plan and why it doesn't seem wrong from his perspective, driving home how so much was lost and how much his people sacrificed, that even after a few rejoinings we're still pale shadows of what we once were. He definitely is a tragic figure and one who forces us to confront the fact that by stopping him from destroying the world as we know it, we're destroying the restoration of the world as he knew it. To put things into perspective, let's say you were given a choice between the world and gameplay of 1.0 and the 2.0 reboot after experiencing both, which would you favor? Could you honestly say the lives of the 1.0 characters meant enough to you that you'd rather play the game as it was back then? Upscale the difference between the two several times over and that's basically the choice he's making.

Also Emet is cool and I'm genuinely sad we couldn't reach some kind of compromise and that I won't get to hang with him anymore.

I feel like Emet-Selch almost occupies a similar place in my mind as Miguel from Chrono Cross though the former is far more malicious and cunning than the latter.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 21, 2019

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Tainen posted:

Just finished 3.3 and I continue to be amazed at how competent the writing is and how much I am enjoying the characters when compared to the last decade of FF games.

Seems like the Heavensward story wrapped up so I am excited to see the set up for Stormblood in the rest of the 3.x quests.

I'm almost halfway through the Heavensward MSQ and I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying the story and characters. It is definitely reaching to become my favorite FF game.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Nessus posted:

Man, Gunbreaker has a lot of... buttons. They all seem to whip rear end though. I feel bad for DRK, which seemed to have significantly fewer buttons. On the other hand, DRK lets you summon your Stand and shoot ghosts and poo poo, so I guess it balances out.

I feel that Gunbreaker should have fewer buttons really. There's very little reason the cartridge combo needs to have three buttons, you literally can't use them out of order. They should be grouped into one button like Continuation.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Thank you XIV thread for giving me one of the most galaxy brain takes I've read in a while.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Clarste posted:

I recall the Dancer quests being mostly random people going "why the hell is the WoL moonlighting as a stripper now? well, whatever, not my problem you do you."

I've only done the intro dancer quest so far but as soon as they said "hey I found a patron! Let's go to Costa Del Sol to meet him" I was wondering where my "wait, no, stop :geno:" text option was. At least it paid off when he tried to pull some poo poo and I ended it with a harsh look.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

SirSamVimes posted:

Thank you XIV thread for giving me one of the most galaxy brain takes I've read in a while.

You beat the game, but not before being sent to your room. When you awake ardbert says wasn't the tempest beautiful. Ghratia knocks and says someone left a book for you. It's the First's Big Book Of Ascian History. Inside it pieces all the breadcrumbs about hyd and zod together, then the light - which is now sucked out of you by it before it forms a waving hand on the last page, then it closes and fades to dust.
It was amazing exploring the world of the first, Uniting the world against the sun eaters and vauthry, then reading the book. I enjoyed meeting the miners, the builders, the loggers, and the magic golems

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Hey I had a question that's been bothering me for a while:

There's usually a gap of a few hundred/thousand years between rejoinings right? So why did the Ascians decide to shove another one down our collective throats just five years after the calamity however many years XIV has been running for now. Was it just a really (un)fortunate coincidence that 2 shards were apparently ready to go around roughly the same time?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

There's usually a gap of a few hundred/thousand years between rejoinings right? So why did the Ascians decide to shove another one down our collective throats just five years after the calamity however many years XIV has been running for now. Was it just a really (un)fortunate coincidence that 2 shards were apparently ready to go around roughly the same time?

The long story short is that they hosed up on The First. They were supposed to prime it for a rejoining when the chance arose but instead they caused the Flood of Light, which came within one Minfilia of turning the First into the light version of The Void, and as near as anyone could tell the First's time was numbered so the Ascians *had* to push for a rejoining before the entire Shard was lost like the Void was. This is actually what they offered to the Warriors of Darkness: Let your world rejoin and at least your souls will be spared, versus become a world of horrifying corrupted zombie monsters.

That said that was still their *goal* it's just that the Flood of Light changed it from "at the next opportunity" to "This needs to happen right now before the fragile balance collapses." Their original goal was to have the WoD killed once they got their crystals which would halt the swap from "light-aspected" to "holy poo poo Sin Eaters" but the WoD thwarted their plans and in doing so pushed the world too far into disaster.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 21, 2019

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

One part is probably that usually after a calamity mankind is decimated, and it takes a long time for societies to rebuild enough to walk face first into causing a new apocalyptic event. Lousoix turning into Phoenix and redirecting the incoming aether instead of letting Bahamut wipe the slate clean also resulted in Garlemald already being primed to cause another calamity right away.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Is there a site that has like... gear, builds, strats? I'm thinking icy-veins for WoW or Alcast for ESO. I always liked knowing what to a shoot for for stats, food, etc.

Also thanks for answering a bunch of questions already. This thread moves fast!

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Hakarne posted:

Is there a site that has like... gear, builds, strats? I'm thinking icy-veins for WoW or Alcast for ESO. I always liked knowing what to a shoot for for stats, food, etc.

The Balance discord is gonna be your best bet. The community can be kind of garbo at times but the class channels tend to have plenty of well-researched and tested resources, so check the pins and resource channels.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

On the Crystal Tower topic:

I believe G'raha sealed the place up because the big fear was the Empire deciding to vault in with airships and seize the drat place and loot it clean or use it to build some kind of savage-slaying death penis beam, which was probably legitimate. I got the feeling the Ironworks may have been the largest 'organized' entity left by the time they woke him up.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Hakarne posted:

There's a Discord and a (at least currently) light website run by a group called The Balance. They're pretty nice and they do all the mathematology. Haven't checked in with them since before ShB launched so I can't speak on how much they've looked into the current state of things.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Apparently there was an "error" processing the card I've used for the last 5 years and they cancelled my account. Where exactly do I go on mogstation to tell the game to charge my drat card again?

e: found it. But they cancelled my two other retainers too, ugh.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 21, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is the error that your card expired?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nope, I just re-entered my same card and it was accepted just fine because it doesn't expire until next year. No idea what broke overnight that made them decide the card was no good.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

isk posted:

There's a Discord and a (at least currently) light website run by a group called The Balance. They're pretty nice and they do all the mathematology. Haven't checked in with them since before ShB launched so I can't speak on how much they've looked into the current state of things.

I was just looking through their tank stuff today and it's great. The google docs seem pretty hastily written and unedited still and they're waiting for savage to worry about stat weights, but there's lots of useful information still.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Squiddycat posted:

People try to tell me she learned emotions but she still seems as stilted and emotionless as ever to be honest

I relate strongly to any and all characters that communicate purely through their displeasure of others and layered sarcastic remarks. Y'Shtola is good.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Emalde posted:

I relate strongly to any and all characters that communicate purely through their displeasure of others and layered sarcastic remarks. Y'Shtola is good.

:hmmyes:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Emalde posted:

she also communicates via a firm pat on the rear

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Clarste posted:

Haha, yeah. "Now".

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

SirSamVimes posted:

she also communicates via a firm pat on the rear

hell, same

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Nessus posted:

I believe G'raha sealed the place up because the big fear was the Empire deciding to vault in with airships and seize the drat place and loot it clean or use it to build some kind of savage-slaying death penis beam, which was probably legitimate.

The Garleans did this exact thing with Goug at the end of the Ivalice raid series, you may recall.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007

Solitair posted:

I've been trying, but the other team often overwhelms me, so maybe I also suck.

Is 8 man the ranked match option? If not, I don't know how to do 8 man.

If you're going to play healer, play AST. 5.0 changed a LOT with PVP and AST is the only one that has anywhere near the carry potential of 4.x healers. Even then, damage from DPS/tanks is way up across the board and CC got nerfed pretty heavily, so healers getting overwhelmed happens a lot more often than before. 8v8 doesn't exist anymore.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Nessus posted:

I believe G'raha sealed the place up because the big fear was the Empire deciding to vault in with airships and seize the drat place and loot it clean or use it to build some kind of savage-slaying death penis beam, which was probably legitimate. I got the feeling the Ironworks may have been the largest 'organized' entity left by the time they woke him up.

It was exactly this, but also for the City-States. At the time, Ul'dah didn't have its poo poo together socially, Ishgard was still isolationist, Limsa is still made of land-stealing treaty-breaking privateers, and Gridania is weird. They were all having mock-fights over the ancient superweapon Omega, as well. There's good reason to think the opening of the Crystal Tower would've strained their growing alliance with the promise of holding access to the hyper-advanced technology of a lost society, and that they might not be in a position to consider using it wisely.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

JimmyBiskit posted:

If you're going to play healer, play AST. 5.0 changed a LOT with PVP and AST is the only one that has anywhere near the carry potential of 4.x healers. Even then, damage from DPS/tanks is way up across the board and CC got nerfed pretty heavily, so healers getting overwhelmed happens a lot more often than before. 8v8 doesn't exist anymore.

Ah. I'm actually starting to get the hang of White Mage in PVP, but I'll give Astro another few shots. I'm also still not sure which of them I'll use to get the healer role quests; I'm actually pretty comfy with the new card system, but the blood lily sounds fun, too.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
so i just beat ultimate weapon.

do I have to do anything else to access the expansion content or whatever? or can i just skip all the old stuff and go straight in?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
you have to follow the msq quests

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

you have to follow the msq quests
If you stay cool, everything will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

You can now play samurai and red mage. To get to ishgard and heavensward, keep doing main story quests